Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New Action Comics #1 Cover Reveals Superman's New 'Old' Look [Updated]

• 121 results
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#51  Edited By Mercy_
    @Fhiz
    I think the original, I guess "not real" cover looked a bit better.
    Gotta agree
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#52  Edited By sora_thekey

@Primmaster64: I was talking about the TV show... For the last 4 seasons the Kents were not part of his life, Clark couldn't fly and Lois was a young reporter who dated her editor (Not Perry White), Green Arrow, Aquaman and NOT Clark.

CaptainCyke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By CaptainCyke

The Powers sound very much Smallville-esq

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Primmaster64

Wonder how powerful he'll be on the Man Of tommorow title.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By johnny_spam

The loss of the Supemran-Lois marriage is what is bothering me. As comic fans change can be very worrying to us but really the question has to be asked: Was the current direction worth keeping? For the past few years so many Superman stories have not had much execution with the creative teams leaving mid story was this the creator or the direction? Change in the books is needed somehow some way it's better than nothing and continuing Grounded and Doomslayer.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#56  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

why are people complaining? its a temp suit used for a story, people are acting like he's gonna be wearing 24/7
    Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#57  Edited By Samimista

Wonder if the guy Lois is dating is Jimmy Olsen...

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Avenging-X-Bolt: exactly
    djotaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 367

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By djotaku

After the update reveals the marriage anullment, etc All I can say is - I'm glad I'm into Batman and not Supes.  So I really don't care that he's the one that being the most rebooted in Sept.  If I get into it now, this'll be the Superman I know.  

One question about the Kents, though.  in the current continuity - they were alive when he went to Metropolis, right?  The update up there seems to state the're dead when he first gets there.

Whether or not they'd decided to get rid of the marriage, I was very excited about Morrison on Action comics and the fact that he's the first super hero excites me.  How would a superman that came about in the 2000s (assuming they've updated the dates) deal?  How would the 24-hour news networks deal with him?  Works very well with the fact that JLA is also exploring the formation dates.  

It is in that aspect that the DC revamp ahs been most successful.  It would have been annoying if all the Batman books rebooted and we had kid Dick again.  But if one of them had done it, that would have been ok.  And it seems like that's what they're doing with Supes.  One book is reboot and one is modern.  Except, in the case of Superman, they got rid of the marriage and that sucks.  Hopefully they explain it well.  PERSONALLY, I'd prefer if they got divorced rather than have it never happen.  I feel the same way about Spidey.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#60  Edited By danhimself

man there are times when you see one of Morrison's crazy ideas and you think "that's awesome!" then there are times where it just makes him look like a complete nutball.....I am not a fan of this....doesn't really matter if it's a pre-Superman story...the costume sucks....highwater pants, what appear to be loafers in this picture, a half cape, and a t-shirt do not mix well

Maki_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#61  Edited By Maki_P

So that was a Real Costume? I thought it was just for publicity purposes. And that's the real cover? I don't like it

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#62  Edited By turoksonofstone

Garsh.

sa5m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#63  Edited By sa5m

So young yes and the cape is to short

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#64  Edited By fodigg
    @G-Man

Update

DC's The Source reveals some more information that is going to upset some readers.

In the pages of ACTION COMICS, writer Grant Morrison and artist Rags Morales will present humanity’s first encounters with Superman, before he became one of the World’s Greatest Super Heroes. Set a few years in the past, it’s a bold new take on a classic hero.
    * This Superman is very much an alien, one struggling to adjust to his adopted home. In the series, he must come to terms with both the loss of his home world, as well as the loss of both of his adopted parents. He is more Kal-El from the planet Krypton than Clark Kent from Kansas. He’s a loner trying to find his place in the world.
    * The series’ first storyline will explore the origins of Superman’s costume, as it evolves from a look that includes jeans and work boots to a new look: a suit of battle armor that pays tribute to his Kryptonian past.
    * His great powers have limits. When the series begins, Superman can leap tall buildings, but his ability to fly is in its infancy.
    And in the SUPERMAN ongoing comic book series, by writer George Perez and artist Jesus Merino, will be set in present day continuity and will unleash a series of new challenges for Superman and his alter ego Clark Kent.
    * Clark Kent is single and living on his own. He has never been married.
    * Lois Lane is dating a colleague at the DAILY PLANET (and his name isn’t Clark Kent) and she has a new position with the paper.
    Timeless and modern, classic and contemporary, but younger, brasher and more brooding, this is Superman. The New Man of Tomorrow.

Before people grab their pitchforks over the marriage being nonexistent, I suggest reading the first few issues first to see if it matters.

I'm not thrilled about all of this. It really does seem like ACTION COMICS is really SMALLVILLE the comic. 
    Aldie_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By Aldie_N

This style seems more modern, the old costume is still better in my opinion though.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By Decept-O

Can't really say I like any of this.

neillius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By neillius

Why do we have to keep revisiting superman's origin. its annoying at this point. In the recent future we had secret origin, earth one superman, and now action. I am a die hard superman fan. I think the reboot is annoying to say the least. With that said, Earth One Superman was a great book. I wouldn't mind seeing that as his origin tale and then just moving on with it. Just saying this is his back story, here is who he is, now lets move on.  

As far as Clark Kent having Bruce Springsteens personality traits, sounds fairly weak.
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#68  Edited By JonesDeini

LMAO yup, this' officially a reBOOT, folk!

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By buttersdaman000

Ok so will action comics ever catch up to Superman comics?

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Primmaster64
    @buttersdaman000: I think so
    Farley Deering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Farley Deering

Nooooooo! Isn't marriage a sacred thing anymore? First Spidey and MJ and now Clark and Lois.

I usually love Morrison's crazy ideas but not this time, I have a bad feeling about all this but its got to be better than current storylines like Grounded.

Mancotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Mancotron

If they're trying to reestablish the DCU, who better to anchor that inception with than Superman. This could be amazing or terrible, but so far there isn't enough to go on to make any qualitative statements. That short cape does look kind of goofy though, but so did the underwear-on-the-outside look that somehow survived 80's years.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Fantasgasmic
    Dammit Grant! This is why people hate you. And I don't just mean the "construction worker" getup. (which I also view as an homage to Reign of the Supermen)
     Revamped and blue collared
     Revamped and blue collared

Superman: Man of Steel #22
     Superman: Man of Steel #22
     Making Superman into "a loner" is not what fans want. Fans want Superman to be a little bit of an outcast when it comes to being the last of his species, and maybe have some hardship because he won't use his powers for personal gain, but we don't want him to be Batman. The best thing about the best Superman story ever written (All Star Superman by Grant F*cking Morrison) was seeing his super-humanity. Killing off his parents before he really becomes Superman just seems to be the Batmanification of another character. Not everyone needs to be a brooding loner who goes around shouting, "My parents are DEAD!"
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Primmaster64

The October issues are out!

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#75  Edited By xkoenig

Yes indeed, DC and Marvel are both going the way of undoing their most famous marriages! How can DC possibly keep describing this as not a reboot???

Sekele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#76  Edited By Sekele
    @xkoenig:  
    Well, they didn't erase it out of existence like Marvel did 
    They are just returning to a point in time when it didn't happen yet  

@Farley Deering
    :  
    at least no deal with the devil is involved 
    MrSpiffNifty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By MrSpiffNifty

Didn't we just spend the last 10 years watching this on Smallville? Yes well look how that turned out. Noooo Thank you.

xkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#78  Edited By xkoenig
    @Sekele said:
    @xkoenig:  
    Well, they didn't erase it out of existence like Marvel did 
    They are just returning to a point in time when it didn't happen yet  

@Farley Deering
    :  at least no deal with the devil is involved 
    Well, in this instance, presumably it's just the outcome of Flashpoint on DC continuity, or else some other arbitrary rearrangement of Superman's backstory. Either way, the decision from up top is that unmarried is better, from both DC and Marvel. To me this whole thing is just yet another continuity re-jig that DC is so in love with. And Superman's jeans costume is awful IMO.
    Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Calvin

I like that the police is shooting him like the freaky alien he is!  
    Just kidding - but it's nice to see that he will have to earn the respect. Let him feel a taste of Pete's life for a moment. 

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

so is this kinda like "super not boy, but not yet a man"? 

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#81  Edited By Jekylhyde14

I, for one, can't wait. Grant has already proven to me that he's the most capable Superman writer in the modern age through All-Star Superman and Final Crisis: Superman Beyond 3D. I've always detested the marriage so I don't mind seeing that done as well. It's about time Superman had a chance for some new romance. It seems to me that Grant's trying to take Supes back to his golden age roots by playing with his power level and making him an alien again. If this isn't a vast improvement to the garbage we've seen from the Superman title over the last year then I'll eat my shirt. Get with the new order.
    Avatar image for harleyquinnhawkgirl
    harleyquinnhawkgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

User Lists: 14

i think the cape being that short looks so rediculous they should just cut it off. it looks like an ascott on his back ahahah!
    okayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By okayla

If it were anyone but Grant --

huser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By huser
    @doordoor123: Or it addresses a major vulnerability that he's regularly been exposed to...deathtraps and weapons centered around Kryptonite.
    Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#85  Edited By Jekylhyde14
    @Fantasgasmic

I don't know how much credence I can give to your criticism of killing Clark's parents off. They never played a huge role in his life during the Golden Age. Pa Kent died of a heart attack before Clark left the farm in the first Superman novel. In the Silver and Bronze Ages, they were only important to Superboy having died of a strange tropical disease before he left Smallville. It was only after Byrne and the Man of Steel that they became an integral part of adult Superman's life, so Morrison really is taking Superman back to his roots by doing this. Be honest, when was the last time you got psyched over a Ma and Pa Kent scene?
    dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#86  Edited By dernman

I'm OK with them splitting up the two books. One for early in his career and one for current continuity with the rest of the DCU.
     As far as marriage to Lois I just think of it as a time before they fall in love and get married. Just as many stories have been done in that time period as have not and we get to watch them fall in love again.

One thing that that has always bugged me and it sounds like they are going to make it worse is how they portray him identifying to himself as a Kryptonian and not and not an Earthman. I say this because he came here as a baby at worst a very young toddler. Most every memory that he has that make him the person he is comes from earth. There is no struggling to adjust to his adopted home because that's all he knows. How can he be more Kal-El from Krypton when the only thing he knows of Krypton are a few data crystals.

Avatar image for _1elderscrollsfan
    #1ElderScrollsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aiden Cross said:

Looks like a cross between Superboy and Superman =)

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#88  Edited By doordoor123
    @huser
    Its been confirmed that its a traditional Kryptonian wardrobe.
    Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#89  Edited By Omega-Man

LMAO WTF This is awful. also this seems very silverage like with Clark's parents both dead and him just living single with not being married to Lois. I wonder why they got rid of that aspect of his character? With Spiderman he had the excuse of having stories where he gets kicked around emotionally but Superman? I don't think it works well.

And that early years costume is stupid, I've actully seen a guy once wearing jeans with a superman t shirt with a red bit of cloth as a cape and really it's worser than his classic costume.

I find it also kinda stupid that he is the world's first superhero in this timeline, So the likes of Alan Scott never existed as Green Lantern? Or Jay Garrick as The Flash? DC seriously this is a REBOOT not a reamp. A revamp is when you update origins to a modan era, this is compleately changing backstories and taking heroes out of DC main continuity Thats a REBOOT!!!

I will buy this but I have a bad feeling about some of this reboot opps sorry Revamp. 

One last thing ARMOUR WTF ARMOUR???? WHY WHY DOES A GUY WHO CAN SURVIVE THE CORE OF THE SUN NEED ARMOUR?

BishopSummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BishopSummers

@Darthtravis: Very good point. I'm thinking it might confuse the new readers that DC is trying to bring in with this reboot and could backfire a bit. All these Supermen in different timelines may confuse and turn off new readers.

But I'm very much looking forward to the reboot. I've been a long time Marvel fanboy, but these 52 #1'S have be excited about DC for the first time since Geoff Johns starting writing Green Lantern. Can't wait!

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By z3ro180

well now i no its a revamp and this sounds indof cool.

Joe_Amazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Joe_Amazing

This look is ridiculous!  It looks like a little kid running around in the backyard, with a towel tied around his neck, pretending to be Superman.  I'm surprised he's not making a "wooshing" sound while he's flying through the air.

Ejiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Ejiku

The amazing thing about story telling, no matter the format, is that if a story isn't good you can tell another one. Some are great and some aren't. Of course you'll never know until the story is told. Glimpses and peeks make not a story. I reserve judgement for the final product. I mean it's Grant Morrison and George freakin' Perez. These guys have told some amazing tales. Geez, I'll give these dudes a chance to tell an interesting Superman tale any day.

maxB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By maxB

that mini cape is dumb looking but im still excited

hitechlolife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By hitechlolife

I liked it all until I read about Supes becoming 'Brooding' ugh. Save it for JMS' Earth 1.

Avatar image for the_peter_cosmic
    The_Peter_Cosmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By The_Peter_Cosmic

I've never read DC stuff, but I might start because this does sound interesting to me. That said, it looks like he was scared so he tied his security blanket to the back of his costume and called it a cape so no one makes fun of his blankie.

breakingweak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By breakingweak
    @The_Peter_Cosmic: cool dude
    UnosInfinitos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By UnosInfinitos

Why are the cops shooting superman?

Joe_Amazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Joe_Amazing
    @The_Peter_Cosmic: My point exactly.
    Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#100  Edited By Obsurity

I was suprised to see that Clark won't fly and will be single. What is this Smallville?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.