Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New 52 superman vs silver age

InnerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By InnerSuperman

not a fight which is more enjoyable

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By comicace3

SA supes was much more enjoyable.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By z3ro180

I'm enjoying the new 52 very much

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lightsout

Well if personality-wise SA isn't much different than modern, pre52 Superman, I'd definitely take him. Not that new52 is terrible, I like it when Supes flexes his muscles sometimes (like not caring that guards were telling him to stop when he went to visit Lex in prison. Pulling the "I'm powerful, I can do whatever I want, try & stop me" card. I can't say I wouldn't do the same if it was needed), but so far there's been too many instances of him being a moody jerk and not enough of his classic sensibilities.

Avatar image for teamunitednerds
    TeamUnitedNerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By TeamUnitedNerds

I'm not a fan of either, to be honest.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Clark_EL

@lightsout said:

Well if personality-wise SA isn't much different than modern, pre52 Superman, I'd definitely take him. Not that new52 is terrible, I like it when Supes flexes his muscles sometimes (like not caring that guards were telling him to stop when he went to visit Lex in prison. Pulling the "I'm powerful, I can do whatever I want, try & stop me" card. I can't say I wouldn't do the same if it was needed), but so far there's been too many instances of him being a moody jerk and not enough of his classic sensibilities.

I agree, but old Superman was too much of a boyscout.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lightsout

@Clark_EL: I like that about him. He was an ideal - even if it was one normal people wouldn't be able to live up to, it's still nice to have one for inspiration. He was almost a god who watched out for his flock, but in his mind he was our next-door neighbor, totally humble.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Clark_EL

@lightsout: He can be that sometimes, but I also want to see a guy who get's the job done without having to be nice all the time. For me he needs to keep some of his farm boy qualities as Clark and sometimes as Superman. But most of time as Superman I just want to see him tear through stuff because he can, while also looking out for people and being nice to kinds stuff like that.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By lightsout

@Clark_EL: I think he reveals that side of him when his loved-ones are in danger (sometimes probably "losing it" more than he should). Otherwise it probably takes too much effort holding back (to not straight up kill people), that he can't let loose too easily. I don't think he's ever really been a "because he can" guy (aside from the original Golden Age dick Superman).

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Clark_EL

@lightsout: Yeah

They should just mix the personalities. Boyscout combined with Most powerful guy on planet who is a jerk sometimes.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By JakeN7

@Clark_EL said:

@lightsout said:

I agree, but old Superman was too much of a boyscout.

THIS!

Not enough character depth. He had no flaws, and wasn't relatable in the least bit. That's probably why my favorite Superman story is All-Star Superman. He had to race against the clock and was faced with an inevitable situation that not even he could defeat.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lightsout

@JakeN7: I could write something up, but it'd be easier to just read through the "Why do people like Superman" thread, lol. (I will say, you probably have a limited definition of "flaw" if you think he doesn't have any. He's made mistakes, he's had regrets. If someone was perfect, by definition those things wouldn't happen).

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JakeN7

@lightsout said:

@JakeN7: I could write something up, but it'd be easier to just read through the "Why do people like Superman" thread, lol. (I will say, you probably have a limited definition of "flaw" if you think he doesn't have any. He's made mistakes, he's had regrets. If someone was perfect, by definition those things wouldn't happen).

Don't get me wrong, I love Superman. I just think that the Silver-Age Superman wasn't that interesting of a character. But it really is mostly contained to that era in which he was written.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lightsout

@JakeN7: Ah, my apologies then. Based on my earlier statement of assuming SA was close enough to pre-52-modern (in the sense he wasn't a moody jerk like new52, so I could compare the 2), I was lumping them together in my mind the whole time. I've never read SA Superman so I couldn't comment in that regard.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JakeN7

@lightsout said:

@JakeN7: Ah, my apologies then. Based on my earlier statement of assuming SA was close enough to pre-52-modern (in the sense he wasn't a moody jerk like new52, so I could compare the 2), I was lumping them together in my mind the whole time. I've never read SA Superman so I couldn't comment in that regard.

Yeah no problem. Silver Age Superman could "sneeze away Galaxies." Too overpowered. I mean, how do you show development in a guy that strong?

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Captain13

New52

a88378438

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By a88378438

New 52 superman can lift earth weight!

No Caption Provided
    TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#18  Edited By TheCannon

New 52. SA Superman sucks in every way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

New 52

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I want the old superman attitude back, buuuuutttt he's younger in the new universe, so it's normal i guess?? pre-52 superman was the older, sensible dude with a receding hairline to show his wisdom...ness?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.