Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New 52 Superman (mean streak?)

jec777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jec777

I don't know if it's just me, but this newest version of superman seems to have a mean streak. the way he lashed out at batman and green lantern was not normally the actions supes would take in any situation. Is this a good thing? I love to read superman taking on darkseid or mongul because he can really open up and use his full power, but supes overusing his power aginst batman or gl takes away from the charactor. i'm a big superman fan but this maybe too much.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By azza04

I didn't see it that Superman was going over the top, he most likely felt threatened by Bats and Lantern (especially as he had just been attacked by some parademons with the alien bomb) Supes is young, he's rash, you can't start from the beginining of his origin and have him just be perfect right away.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RedOwl_1

Yes he's a pretty tough and I think they made that because new comic readers weren't interested on Superman because he was kinda "fussy" with his way to act and see the term justice, when anybody with those powers will be that way

So they changed he to attract new readers and quit that bad reputation that he had with teens.

And they accomplished their objective (at least with me)

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By Jekylhyde14

That was also his first meeting with Batman and Green Lantern. His previous experiences with powered individuals were all with villains (as we're reading in Action Comics) so his defensive reaction wasn't totally from left field (especially since Bats and GL were there to interrogate him). Also, I remember from Byrne's Man of Steel that the Post-Crisis Superman wanted to bring Batman to justice when they first met. He was polite about it, sure, but he was still aggressive. I don't think he's really as mean as you're making him out to be.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@jec777
    Superman has always had a mean streak...he just keeps it under wraps...most of the time....

go to 3.30
    jec777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jec777

ok i understand the first meeting and all but with this superman i would half expect him to eliminate a threat like say lex luthor in a quick blast of heat vision. is it that he reminds me of superboy prime?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Lvenger

A lot of what's being said here is how I feel about the new Supes. Evidently he can't be perfect straight away but it was quite surprising to see a more brash, aggressive Superman jump to conclusions and shoot first, ask questions later. His treatment of strangling Batman and bludgening GL was quite over the top IMO. Plus in JL #3 he's killing Parademons. They may be robots but GL's ring alerted him to extraterrestrial activity in Gotham in issue 1 so seeing Superman maim or kill the Parademons is kind of off to me at least.

Avatar image for amazingfantasy15
    AmazingFantasy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AmazingFantasy15

Maybe he's meant to be more aggressive because his parents died earlier so they had a smaller influence on him.

Avatar image for metropoliskid41
    MetropolisKid41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By MetropolisKid41

I think its just the evolution of the character, it was said in a post earlier on and I've said it in other threads based on similar theme. We starting from ground zero here in the mythos, he hasn't been Superman for long, he doesn't have 70+ years of comic book continuity of experience under his belt. Here he is, a young man who grew up in our modern culture, and think of how your average 20 year old kid nowadays would act if they had superpowers. They would be a little arrogant or cocky at first. He is the most powerful being on the planet, and all other super-powered encounters he's been apart of have been people attacking him. So 2 people show up right after you're attacked, you would get a little rough when them. The writers in many interviews have said that he will be more arrogant and self confident, until he is humbled by experience. And I think that is a very refreshing and realistic take. As a guy in his 20's who is virtually invincible, and whose powers continue to develop and get stronger with each passing day, you would be a little arrogant, even with growing up as a farm boy from Smallville, Kansas. I think its going to take him failing to really realize how much responsibility and care come with being that powerful and ultimately being able to decide who lives and who dies by your actions.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.