Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

New-52 ruined Superman?

Mercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've read a lot of people hate or dislike the new-52 superman ... why? I mean I haven't picked up any new-52 comics yet ( I want to, don't hate me) and I'm sure he's no post-crisis Supes but what's so bad?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

@omnibeast: i actually like new 52 Superman but i have some reasons why they might not like him. he's with wonder woman instead of lois. in Action Comics, he's a vigilante instead of a boyscout. he even shouts "catch me if you can!" haha. also action comics and superman are not very good comics in the first place. and they don't like something he "did" in JL #22 Trinity War because they haven't paid attention to the last page explaining why he did it.

Mercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnibeast: i actually like new 52 Superman but i have some reasons why they might not like him. he's with wonder woman instead of lois. in Action Comics, he's a vigilante instead of a boyscout. he even shouts "catch me if you can!" haha. also action comics and superman are not very good comics in the first place. and they don't like something he "did" in JL #22 Trinity War because they haven't paid attention to the last page explaining why he did it.

Ah, I see. I plan to pick up the JL and JLD comics and catch up to the trinity war. I've never been a huge Supes fan. (I'm not saying he's not bad-ass. He is.) Just never took a liking to him to much. I've always seen these two kinds though. The big blue boy scout and the vigilante defender of all man kind iron grip kind of stuff. Definitely got to check it out though. From some of the New-52 stuff I've read around forums he seems pretty cool. His fight with Cap Marvel sticks out in particular. Thanks for the imput.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By consolemaster001

It's not bad

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ManofIron11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not bad character wise but Lobdell is making him look bad. He can't write for toffee.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Errr..no.

Are you talking about the character or the title?

Character: Nothing has been ruined at all. Perhaps he's a bit more head-strong these days, but he is still pretty conservative at times

The Title: Let's be honest, pre-52 wasn't that good anyway...the last arc before the reboot was Grounded...yuck

Mercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mercules

Errr..no.

Are you talking about the character or the title?

Character: Nothing has been ruined at all. Perhaps he's a bit more head-strong these days, but he is still pretty conservative at times

The Title: Let's be honest, pre-52 wasn't that good anyway...the last arc before the reboot was Grounded...yuck

Well this isn't my opinion. I was just asking why some didn't like him. I figured they changed something drastically in him. I've heard a lot of good things about New-52 especially with the trinity war going on.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

@sinestro_gl said:

Well this isn't my opinion. I was just asking why some didn't like him. I figured they changed something drastically in him. I've heard a lot of good things about New-52 especially with the trinity war going on.

I understand...I just think the choice of words from the thread title is very harsh. Yes, I can understand why people might not like the n52 Superman, but "ruined" - from whose ever opinion that was, is not a fair comment at all.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

yes, it has. they tried to make him edgy and like the original superman for new readers, but they didnt take into account: SUPERMAN STORIES ARENT ON HIGH DEMAND. so they alienated the faithful fans for very few new readers that have long since abandoned the book.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

Geoff Johns killed Superman.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetimestreamer: Edgier how? Seems like only a small percentage don't enjoy N52 supes

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Lvenger

It's had its ups and downs but the New 52 Superman has his moments. Still better than the Super Douche of the Silver Age that's for sure.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

He's not the best Superman but he still is the same old Supes.Apart from the fact that he acts a little bit fast.

martyyy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only read supes in JL and superman unchained ( which is AMAZING!!) ANd I gotta say the new 52 kinda growing on me. I don't mind his new look, I just mind when his face is drawn like superboy...I don't like super young superman. But latley they have fixed that

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only beef I have with New 52 Superman is the suit. I get that Dc wanted to update the character for the new audience and stuff, but the suit doesn't have the same iconic look that pre New 52 Superman had. Everyone in America grew up with Big Blue, Red Boots and Red undies. The New suit just kind of threw that away. Now is it kind of ridiculous to always wear big red underwear on the outside of your pants? Yeah, but it was the Supes we all knew and loved.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorjosh: the undies is the one part of the suit that I am ok with being gone,I wish the suit he wears now would be a one piece body suit,sorta like the Man of Steel bodysuits all the kryptonians were wearing.i do like the nanite effect for quick changes though,so I would not lose that.the rest is cool,but I would tweak the red belt,just make it straight across,not try to make a S shield with it.i like the red trim on the sleeves and neck line though,keep that.i would make his S chest shield a lil less metallic and raised up,make it like the Man of Steel suit did.

Oh and yeah I like a lot of things in the movie,and I wish they would tweak the new 52 superman a lil,but not totally,cause like for example don't like those greyish designs on both his sides or his sleeves.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer new 52 superman to old superman. He is cooler and more interesting.

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
    RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

#22  Edited By RideASpaceCowboy

Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics deserves a place alongside his work on All-Star Superman, at least story-wise. The art certainly brought it down, and unfortunately many readers missed out on the best Superman story of the New 52 as a result.

The armored suit sans the red tights is a crime against humanity and has certainly lowered the quality and lasting value of every issue in which he's worn it. This atrocity is similar to his post-Resurrection mullet or Red/Blue phase, only a million-fold worse.

Nevertheless, outside of the New 52 some of the best Superman stories of all time are being published in the digital first title Adventures of Superman. If you were to buy an iPad just to get the comixology app and only every downloaded issue #12 from this week, it would still be $900 well spent.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They didn't ruin Superman, just his underwear

They gave his trunks a mind of it's own, now it comes and goes as it pleases
    They gave his trunks a mind of it's own, now it comes and goes as it pleases

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 the_stegman  Moderator

I like him just fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
    deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

It is not ruined, it was only made strong headed and a jerk.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he is pretty good for me i just hate the moping for lois angle they use sometimes sigh

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's hard headed and has a bit of a temper. for the most part he jsut doesn't act like Superman... Hyperion in the current avengers is more like the Superman we all know than Superman is in the new 52.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By SaintWildcard

I got into comics when the new 52 came out and quickly realized that I loved Superman. I went from the 2 titles to 5 (about to be 6 with the WW/SM title). MoS pleases me greatly now all we need is a Superman cartoon that doesnt suck (yeah thats right! I hated the Animated series which was run by batfans who didnt give 2 $hits about the character, and when he faced Batman, Batman came out on top right away).

Superbat420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Superbat420
    Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorjosh said: The only beef I have with New 52 Superman is the suit. I get that Dc wanted to update the character for the new audience and stuff, but the suit doesn't have the same iconic look that pre New 52 Superman had. Everyone in America grew up with Big Blue, Red Boots and Red undies. The New suit just kind of threw that away. Now is it kind of ridiculous to always wear big red underwear on the outside of your pants? Yeah, but it was the Supes we all knew and loved.

I know, I don't mind if they get rid of the red underwear but don't change everything about him. It's like taking something out that defines his character, that makes Superman, SUPERMAN and alter him for an audience that likes their superheroes to be dark and gritty.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From a fanatic's point of view... I love New 52 Superman. But I also like Post Crisis Superman. I also don't think Superman was ruined by Goyer and Snyder.... Much as I think Reeve Superman is also not a ruining of the character. DCAU, Smallville, Lois and Clark, 80s Superboy, etc... I love them all.... Come to think of it, despite being a Twi-hater, place Superman in there and I'll be a Twi-hard. My point is... Superman... Whatever version... I'm a fanatic.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics deserves a place alongside his work on All-Star Superman, at least story-wise. The art certainly brought it down, and unfortunately many readers missed out on the best Superman story of the New 52 as a result.

Preach!

Adventures of Superman is good but i feel it has the potential to be great if the creators/editors take it more seriously. Especially how they rush the stories to end in one issue or the unispired art(not bad but unispired). So much potential wasted.

EmperorJosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They tried to Modernize the character. Something that shouldn't have been done visually. And many others the same, its not only Superman. He no longer feels classic. Yes, wearing red trunks on the outside of your tights is kind of ridiculous, but everyone in the whole world had grown accustom to it, so it was normal to us. The fact that hes no longer kind hearted and brave but more of an asshole and a jerk is fuel to the fire smh...

Avatar image for lieutenant_awkward
    Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like New 52 Superman, aside from what scott lobdell did to him (frying iPads, not a superman thing if you ask me.) but I can look past that because everything else is just fine.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By joshmightbe

My only real problems with the new 52 are Question and Phantom Stranger

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the New 52 Superman

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

He's the same character more or less. They made him a bit more brash but "ruined" is way too strong of a word.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.