Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Neil deGrasse found an actual planet Krypton

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sethysquare

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/nyer_is_super_smart_seMJnvJaXju74neeqHgM2M

Look, up in the sky! It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s . . . Superman’s home planet!

Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson has pinpointed a real location for the fictional planet of Krypton.

The “real” Krypton is in the Corvus constellation, about 27.1 light years from Earth, orbiting the red dwarf star LHS 2520, Tyson determined.

The star, which is smaller and cooler than our sun, can be seen at right ascension 12 hours, 10 minutes, 05.60 seconds, and declination 15 degrees, 04’ 15.66.

The Hayden Planetarium director tracked down the locale based on information provided to him by DC Comics, which was doing a story on Superman’s search for his home planet in the pages of “Action Comics.”

DC Comics
    STAR MAN: Superman locates his home planet in his latest comic adventure, thanks to a New York astrophysicist.

“One of our staffers reached out to him to see if he’d assist for a story we were doing, and he actually came up with a location,” said DC co-publisher Dan DiDio.

Tyson, whose planetarium sits next to the Museum of Natural History on West 81st Street at Central Park West, was happy to be of service.

“As a native of Metropolis, I was delighted to help Superman, who has done so much for my city over all these years,” he said.

Tyson himself makes an appearance in “Action Comics” No. 14, which goes on sale Wednesday, but in it, it’s the Man of Steel who figures out the exact location.

“It’s clear that if he weren’t a superhero, he would have made quite an astrophysicist,” Tyson said.

Tyson’s no stranger to pop culture. He’s the scientist who was able to persuade film director James Cameron to alter the night sky in “Titanic” for its recent re-release to match how the stars actually looked on the night the ship sank.

DiDio said that “by applying real-world science to this story, he has forever changed Superman’s place in history. Now fans will be able to look up at the night’s sky and say, ‘That’s where Superman was born.’ ”

It’s distance of 27.1 light years — roughly 150 trillion miles — coincides with the age Superman is supposed to be in the comics.

That means light from Krypton’s destruction — which Superman was spared from him when his parents sent him in a rocket to Earth — would be reaching our planet around now. In a super coincidence, Superman’s alter-ego of Clark Kent played for the Smallville Crows in high school.

Referred to as “Rao” by native Kryptonians, Corvus is Latin for crow.

Wow. Okay, I can't believe DC actually did this. This is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JohnnyGat

Watch out we got a badass over here

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I love that man.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

#4  Edited By Durakken

Sure why not let a man who hasn't got a clue about comics consult another person who hasn't got a clue about comics to make up some BS that doesn't actually fit with anything in comics because it is more "scientifically" accurate to not take in all the facts v.v

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

This is truly awesome :) Kinda answers alot of questions for me too since I was always under the assumption that Krypton was located in another galaxy entirely.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lykopis

I think this is adorable and very fun for Tyson to do.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By fodigg

Hollywood is increasingly reaching out to scientists in order to get advice on how to explain away their fantastical elements at least semi-accurately. It's a good thing. And really, the title should be "Tyson PICKS a real Krypton," not 'finds' one.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sethysquare

@fodigg said:

Hollywood is increasingly reaching out to scientists in order to get advice on how to explain away their fantastical elements at least semi-accurately. It's a good thing. And really, the title should be "Tyson PICKS a real Krypton," not 'finds' one.

I believe the location of Krypton has been described several times in DC. And the information was given to Tyson so that he could accurate pick out a planet that is most similar to the description and DC would slightly alter and model the location of Krypton after that planet.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Durakken

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

This is truly awesome :) Kinda answers alot of questions for me too since I was always under the assumption that Krypton was located in another galaxy entirely.

@sethysquare said:

@fodigg said:

I believe the location of Krypton has been described several times in DC. And the information was given to Tyson so that he could accurate pick out a planet that is most similar to the description and DC would slightly alter and model the location of Krypton after that planet.

It has been... It's in the Andromeda Galaxy...which is not 27.1 light years away.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@Durakken: Thought so. Ah well, still interesting.

@fodigg: Precisely.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By WaveMotionCannon
    @fodigg

This. It's not like the old Bugs Bunny cartoons where there was a flag saying "Krypton" hanging off it lol.
    Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @fodigg said:

And really, he picked a STAR that Krypton could have hypothetically orbited. Either way, he seems like he'd be a fun guy to talk to.
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Icon

As if Tyson wasn't awesome already. This is very cool, and I'm glad DC has made it official (looking forward to Action #14 even more now). This makes me want to get a good telescope so I can find Rao in the night sky.

Avatar image for supermanfan1234
    supermanfan1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By supermanfan1234

brb going to buy a telescope

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By krspaceT

Somehow I think they will have to retcon the name of Superman's home planet when we ever get to visit the world

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#16  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Durakken said:

Sure why not let a man who hasn't got a clue about comics consult another person who hasn't got a clue about comics to make up some BS that doesn't actually fit with anything in comics because it is more "scientifically" accurate to not take in all the facts v.v

Neil deGrasse Tyson is actually a pretty big comics fan. He mentions Hulk quite a lot in a few of his lectures/presentations. I can understand your cynicism though. Here its just a fun thing, not about trying to make the comic realistic to the point of robbing away any of the fun.  
    Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Durakken

@SC said:

@Durakken said:

Neil deGrasse Tyson is actually a pretty big comics fan. He mentions Hulk quite a lot in a few of his lectures/presentations. I can understand your cynicism though. Here its just a fun thing, not about trying to make the comic realistic to the point of robbing away any of the fun.

For a while I thought he was a pretty cool person, but then I listened to his podcast where it he gets just about everything outside his field so utterly wrong it's embarrassing, including everything he said about comics, and I further dislike him after his Nerdist interview where he explains that "he doesn't state opinions" which on the surface is "Oh i see that's cool" and then you think about it and realize that is impossible first of all and even if it were possible to do it, to even consider doing it, is deceptive and a defensive mechanism as to try to keep himself from ever appearing to be wrong even when he is. In the end it just make you look vapid when you take that stance. That is not to say that you should just go around proclaiming you're right, but to never state what you actually think is shallow, especially when you're supposed to be an authority and are looked to as one.

I wasn't only talking about Tyson though. I was also talking about DiDio who "knows" about comics in the sense that he works on them, but every time I see anything with his name on it, created wise or writing wise or editorial wise, it wreaks of not understanding anything about comics or writing or being creative in general. Perhaps this is just bias and I'm only presented with all the bad stuff he does and never the good stuff so if you have something that you think is good that can be attributed to DiDio directly then please PM me, but until then I have nothing to say good about him.

Another point is you might raise is is it fair to judge Tyson on his lack of knowledge of where Krypton ought be. No, but I'm not. I'm criticizing the whole thing because DiDio should know and Tyson well... I don't hate him, but I really wish he'd not open his mouth about stuff he clearly doesn't have a firm understanding of because every time he does he loses more, of at least my, respect.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Durakken: I see. Oh well I haven't listened to his podcast and only know him from when he is talking about things he does know so I don't really have understanding on what he is like on other subjects - was interesting reading your reply cheers. Oh and I don't really have a high opinion of DiDio either so **shrugs** heh heh. 
    SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SmashBrawler

Looks like Action Comics #14's "game changing back-up" has been spoiled.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Durakken

@SC said:

@Durakken: I see. Oh well I haven't listened to his podcast and only know him from when he is talking about things he does know so I don't really have understanding on what he is like on other subjects - was interesting reading your reply cheers. Oh and I don't really have a high opinion of DiDio either so **shrugs** heh heh.

I constantly get disappointed by people I once thought were cool. Thing with him speaking on the things he does know, he has apparently made it a point not to say anything that could be taken as him saying something is write or wrong, but rather "if this is the case then this is the case" which doesn't actually do what he thinks it does but oh well v.v Someone less observant probably wouldn't notice how messed up what he says is.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SandMan_

Alright.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By JLDoom

Wow, thats cool!

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eternal19

wasnt expecting this

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ssejllenrad

Yeah look for Krypton but kick Pluto to the curb... Goddammit! Nice job Tyson! NICE JOB!!!! Nyehehehe!

Seriously, good job!

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Twentyfive

A true inspiration.

And a real boss. Thumbs up for Neil!!

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Durakken

btw... it should be mentioned that the type of star Tyson probably looked for is one of the most common star types and so it was probably more like "oh theres the one that is closest to our solar system..." more than "gee i wonder if that particular type of star system exists"

I know. I'm a buzz kill >.>

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sethysquare

@Durakken said:

btw... it should be mentioned that the type of star Tyson probably looked for is one of the most common star types and so it was probably more like "oh theres the one that is closest to our solar system..." more than "gee i wonder if that particular type of star system exists"

I know. I'm a buzz kill >.>

yessssss go awayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we're having fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SandMan_

I always thought Krypton was in another galaxy....That's how it was back in the SA at least.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.