Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

N52 Superman does not feel like a Leader

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kenshima15

He's Pre N52 version always had an air of authority and the ability to lead! Just the way he carried himself, screamed leader in my opinion...but his N52 version seems so laid back, I haven't seen him display Leadership in the Justice league comics...I could be wrong all the same...but please help me understand.

No Caption Provided

This scene where the League seemed to be arguing on who should lead, I expected Superman to step up and tell them to stop bickering, Not propose to lead...but yo know show authority of some sort. But its more than this scan, pretty much Superman as a whole in the N52.

I have read major story arcs from Pre N52 Superman, but didn't really follow that much, his N52 version is a Superman i follow and read religiously...so please forgive any ignorance on my part.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its natural that when they first met they had that discussion.

Why?

Well because among their ranks is a King, granted he wasnt a King at that time.

A green lantern, whos jurisdiction as a space cop is an entire sector of space spanning hundreds of planets.

A princess with experience in war and strategy.

a super fast guy who is in law enforcement.

and a human genius who specializes as a brilliant detective, strategist.

its good stuff.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: but overall...Superman seems to be lacking the leadership qualities he used to have ...

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat: but overall...Superman seems to be lacking the leadership qualities he used to have ...

maybe. but it makes sense considering theyre not the same person.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard

I prefer him this way. He doesn't feel like he has a stick up his butt.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Yes, now he feels like he's willing to beat people up with a stick just because he's had a bad day. Isn't that so much better?

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Who said anything about the Justice League having an actually assigned leader in the New 52 anyway?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

True. Although it depends who is writting him. New 52 Superman is so inconsistent.

Who said anything about the Justice League having an actually assigned leader in the New 52 anyway?

The JL always had an assigned Leader. New 52 it is Batman. It is mentioned plenty of times and Aquaman as seen above actually questioned the leadership.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@saint_wildcard said:

Yes, now he feels like he's willing to beat people up with a stick just because he's had a bad day. Isn't that so much better?

It definitely be more interesting to see him hit someone with a stick

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The JL always had an assigned Leader. New 52 it is Batman. It is mentioned plenty of times and Aquaman as seen above actually questioned the leadership.

there we go :)

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kenshima15:

I agree. Even though I don't read the New 52 comics, I have heard and learned many things about this new depiction of Superman. I love his new costume mainly because of no underwear on the outside, but almost everything else is sickening. That includes Superman's supposed leadership skills. He certainly does not act like one (most of the time) and that seems to worry me as well. Superman has always been if not the de facto leader, one of the leaders. Apparently, he shares this rank with Batman, but Batman (being as bossy as he is, anyway) seems to assert more leadership than him, and that just isn't right.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No and it's one of many things that bother me about the new 52 Superman.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By algorhythm511

IMHO, Supes is the most objective member of the team and this makes him an excellent sovereign entity. His objectivity and integrity should be more emphasized in the JL comics, that was what made him a good leader post-crisis.

Batman is an excellent tactical commander. WW is an excellent war general and diplomat. GL has interplanetary ties.

However, I have always felt the leader doesn't need to be the best at everything, but he DOES need to surround himself with those who do.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As the scan shows he is the least qualified to be leader and honestly it shouldn't matter. He should only be focused/care about saving people. If he thinks the group is acting in a way that hinders that or puts lives in danger, he'll speak his mind. If the assigned leader is acting out of line, he would also speak out on that. But he shouldn't actively take part in the d**k measuring competition

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think this really affects me that much. I like that when he speaks everybody shuts.up. That's the kinda quality I can live with. But I would like him to be see as the leader in public. The charismatic part of his personality.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kenshima15:

I agree. Even though I don't read the New 52 comics, I have heard and learned many things about this new depiction of Superman. I love his new costume mainly because of no underwear on the outside, but almost everything else is sickening. That includes Superman's supposed leadership skills. He certainly does not act like one (most of the time) and that seems to worry me as well. Superman has always been if not the de facto leader, one of the leaders. Apparently, he shares this rank with Batman, but Batman (being as bossy as he is, anyway) seems to assert more leadership than him, and that just isn't right.

Well, if he wasn't shouting orders, what would be the point of having him on the team? Especially with Luthor there.

Personally, I don't think there needs to be a leader most times. If anything, it should be about who can come through with the plans, and that doesn't mean make Batman or Lex look like a Super Genius, but show that they all have a specialty.

But like I said, if he's not barking orders, there's honestly little use for Batman on the team.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kenshima15:

Actually it makes perfect sense that the N52 version of Superman would have a different approach to how he deals with things.

It has been shown quite clearly in multiple occasions that Superman in the N52, is more observant of his whereabouts and how people act around him. In short he's more reactive than active.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never seen the JL has ever haveing a leader, but more of a seniority of the older members who say this is a good idea we should do this, but everyone has an equal say in the end.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Superguy1591

He didn't want to be a member of the team in the scan you posted--he was distant to everyone due to his parent's death. He didn't want to get close and risk losing someone else. It's hard to be a leader if you're distant and uninterested in the team.

Now, post-5 year skip, he could be the leader, but N52 Batman isn't nearly the same tool he was in the p52 version, unless he's written by Snyder or Tomasi, and has shown a human tenderness under Johns that showcase leadership IMO(though some Batman fans hate it)

I don't mind Batman as the leader, especially since Superman is dating Wonder Woman; it would be weird if he was the leader under that circumstance.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's alot more reclusive than Pre-Nu52, that's for sure.

When he's written well (AKA when he actually resembles Post-Crisis) he is usually the First-Amung equals.

But this is to be expected. Out of the two, Post-Crisis is the one with the most charisma.

tristan95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why superman does not fell like a leader ? Its because batman. LoL

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.