My take on how a Superman game could work

Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

I know this has been talked about to death, but this is MY idea for how it could, and should, go. First of all Rocksteady should make it. The reason they decided to go for a Batman game in the first place was because they didn't feel like they could tackle Superman. In the Batman Arkham series they have a level of progression, gaining more gadgets as you go along. I think the best way to do this for Superman is have a game where he's starting out as Superman, but doesn't have all of his powers. Let me explain.

Golden Age Superman's powers came from his alien biology and everyone had those powers on Krypton, they had harder skin and were super strong and fast. Now when the Silver Age began to start he was developing some of the powers he would have later on like flight and began getting stronger and more durable. This must be because he SLOWLY absorbed yellow sunlight compared to the modern Supes. I think the '78 movie explained his powers like that. One part biology, one part yellow sun. Start with Jor-El explaining this before Kal is sent to earth so as not to have just casual fans of Superman who would expect him to have all of his powers from the get go become annoyed with this. As the game progresses, the story spanning several years or so, it shows Superman's reputation grow and his rogues gallery grow as well.

Each new chapter of the game starts with the origin of a villain with said villain being the main villain of the chapter. After you beat a certain number of chapters, let's say 2-3, you unlock a new power. In terms of powers besides strength and would start small like having enhanced hearing to pick up on local crime(Like Batman could in Arkham City) and x-ray vision(Works like Detective Mode, but less highly detailed like Batman's and more like Robin's DM where it just shows hidden stuff and who's armed), then move on to heat vision, super breath, and freeze breath. As far as things like strength and durability go these would be able to be upgraded anytime, provided you have enough XP. Speed would be used more like a straight forward blitz attack, like if you run into an enemy you punch them, but can be used to get around. Leaping would be the main mode of travel for up to the middle of the game where you unlock flying, with the leaping being like Hulk Ultimate Destruction.

Now the main thing is that while you get more powerful, so do the villains. The usual random thugs would be members of Intergang, getting greater more advanced tech to combat Superman and villains like Toyman upgrading his toys to be bigger and stronger or Luthor getting Kryptonite powered robots.

Speaking of Lex he'd be like he is in Superman TAS, a big business man that Supes can't really take down because he always covers his tracks.

Also a unique feature is that YOU get to choose what Superman costume you wear through the game. At the beginning you get to choose between the Kingdom Come costume, the classic costume, the God Fall costume, Superboy's t-shirt look, or the New 52 costume.

#1 Posted by syoungkeezy (81 posts) - - Show Bio

this is a really good take on what could be, but i think the main problem with a superman game is the physics and how to make it believable, for instance we all knwo that throught the ages the effect of Kryptonite has varried depending on the writer or producer, how would thye take that in this game when exposed does supes slowly start loosing his powers or do his powers weaken I.E. trying to fly away for the area becomes hard or hits become weaker or does superman just become helpless, on the strength part being able to level it up is a really good idea and could contribute to allowing the player to create their own supes sort like a mass effect level up style, there could be a play section for clark who would investigate using his hearing, superspeed to sneek into areas, xray and with the level up system it would allow the player to feel like superman

#2 Posted by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

@syoungkeezy said:

this is a really good take on what could be, but i think the main problem with a superman game is the physics and how to make it believable, for instance we all knwo that throught the ages the effect of Kryptonite has varried depending on the writer or producer, how would thye take that in this game when exposed does supes slowly start loosing his powers or do his powers weaken I.E. trying to fly away for the area becomes hard or hits become weaker or does superman just become helpless, on the strength part being able to level it up is a really good idea and could contribute to allowing the player to create their own supes sort like a mass effect level up style, there could be a play section for clark who would investigate using his hearing, superspeed to sneek into areas, xray and with the level up system it would allow the player to feel like superman

I think the Kryptonite should have a draining effect. It it's raw form it would cause slow, but constant damage. In the form of lasers, bombs, or say powered gauntlets it would cause massive immediate damage.

Granted there would be just random thugs with ordinary guns for you to stop, giving the classic bullets bouncing off the chest moment and feeling like Superman even when you haven't exactly leveled up that much so it doesn't feel like Supes it TOO underpowered at first.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.