Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

My problem with MOS

jojjimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jojjimbo

My friends and I were talking about what we didn't like about MOS yesterday. my biggest problem with the movie.. was General Zod total and complete Ineptness, from getting his derriere handed to him by Jor-El(a damn scientist of all things,) to eventually getting his neck snap by Jor-El untrained/never been in a fight before son. you would think his military training would kick in at some point in that movie,but no...he ends up getting killed by a newbie for goodness sake.that completely ruined the movie for me. i couldn't accept the fact that a trained warrior would lose to an untrained civilian... well that's my biggest problem with that movie.

Whats yours?

Mulder15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

You utterly did not get that Zod wanted to die.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I movie was great, and both beatings Zod took made the house of El special.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@jojjimbo: well kal-el was exposed to yellow sun longer so he would have, at least by general superman comic knowledge, been stronger and overall more powerful than zod. and didnt the movie kind of imply that jor-el was in the military at some point? if im remembering that part wrong then youre right the scene where jor-el beats zod is PIS and silly......but zod did get his revenge on jor-el though

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Biggest problem with MoS: People moaning about Superman killing Zod and the destruction wrought.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Biggest problem with MoS: People moaning about Superman killing Zod and the destruction wrought.

yep.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ccraft

Your complaint is invalid!! From what I remember the first time they fought wasn't really a fight, it was when Superman tackled Zod into a gas station.

Zod was blood lusted by the end fight and let his rage blind him when he fought Supes. When Superman was fighting the other two, he was getting his ass kicked.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MatteoPG

You didn't get the WHY the fight ended that way.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SanoHibiki

I read many threads about what was wrong with MoS; sometimes I encountered this reasoning as well; but this is main problem with film for you? That’s first.

Well, take your guess:

Jor-El vs. Zod: maybe Jor-El liked to stay in shape and trained match in free time; Jor-El was a father protecting his newly born son; Zod and Jor-El were friends once, so in the beginning Zod hold back, still hoping to avoid killing, etc… Besides, Jor-El was badass in MoS.

Superman vs. Zod: after living many years under yellow sun Supes got more endurance then other kryptonians; rage toned down Zod’s fighting prowess; and my personal take on this fight – that wasn’t Zod’s defeat at the hands of Kal-El, that was suicide in warrior way (honorable death in battle).

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel:

Actually, it was suicide by cop. Nothing honorable about it.

I mean that in my interpretation, “honorable death” equals “death in battle” for Zod, not that there were actually something honorable. And I fail to see something truly honorable at blackmailing Clark – “ether you kill me, or I kill you and then will proceed to destroy as many humans as I can reach” (of which he was perfectly capable).

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SanoHibiki

@toplel:

There can be other motive – would be honorable to kill supposed traitor of his race, who prevented resurrection of Krypton?

Anyway, about that honorable or not so honorable suicide. I think that this is was at least partially planned. I got impression that when Zod was fighting in his armor, he was perfectly capable of shrugging off Supes’ punches (unless not in the face). So, to give Supes chance of winning, he stripped off armor. Is that count as honorable – even odds for your enemy?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wolfrazer  Online

Ok I haven't seen the movie, but from what I have seen on the net. I don't like that Superman is fighting like a noob and can't use his powers right....I mean I get that he hasn't had a real fight up until that point against super villains, but can't use his powers properly? What did he go through his life without realizing he had super powers, and all of a sudden when he became an adult it hit him?

I guess I can let it slide that he fought like a noob...but not much, from what I seen he could have at least tried defending himself better.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel:

I'm sure Superman had the advantage in terms of strength and experience with his powers

I still didn’t make my mind on this point. From one side, Clark lived all his life under yellow sun, so theoretically he should be stronger than other kryptonians. From other, in MoS he practically all his life tried to hide from public, to keep his secret. Putting several rescues along the way aside, such lifestyle can gave experience how to blend in human society, but not the experience how to use his abilities to their fullest in open sight.

Zod and his crew. I like to think that they had more experience in using their abilities than many viewers think. Zod himself said that they were looking for Kal-El for 33 years. And still – they didn’t aged. In comics powered kryptonians stated to live longer than humans, so, unless in MoS Universe they by default slowly-aging race, Zod and his men (and Faora) were in past familiar with effect of sunlight. Don’t think that yellow stars such rare in universe that they didn’t encountered them during 33-years long search.

And was it really armor or just an advanced space suit to keep them safe from Earths environment and the various overwhelming stimuli? Considering it was made on Krypton, I'm sure it wouldn't have been made to resist a kryptonian punching it under a yellow sun.

Not too sure about armor (or suit) as well. In comics and other media kryptonian metal portrayed vastly superior to human analogs. Often kryptonians themselves were vulnerable to them, wasn’t been able, for example, dent them, and so on. In MoS Clark didn’t have many problems in destroying robots or space ship with heat vision. In MoS novelization, however, after destroying robot he said that it was first time ever when he experienced physical pain.

Still… When Supes tackled Zod around Kent farm, he repeatedly smashed Zod in face through helmet (and it didn’t look that he was holding back). Helmet were made from some liquid crystal interface, so it doubtful that it most durable part of suit. Despite all Supes’ punching, he didn’t break through it. Add to that early stages of Superman vs. Zod fight: Zod in suit, Supes punching him, Zod barely moving 1-2 steps, but when Supes gets in his face armored fist, he immediately flying through buildings; Zod throw away suit – they suddenly look on pretty much equal ground.

So I am going to assume that these suits are indeed armor.

In conclusion: think that we stepping too far in the land of assumptions, theories and personal preferences. Hope that sequel will give us some answers.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@sog7dc said:

@outside_85 said:

yep.

Makes me so mad I could snap someones neck... too soon?

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

Just think about Faora and forget about other stuff.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for manhunter_prime
    Manhunter_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I don't get how Jor-El beat Zod... buuut it's Russell Crowe, I don't think anyone wanted to see him lose a fight.

TheBhramaBull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My problems with the film:

1. Martha Kent is sitting in the back of the car with the freaking dog but doesn't let it out with her when she gets out the car. If you love your dog so much you let your husband go back into a tornado to retrieve it, you wouldn't have forgotten the dog in the first place! Especially not when it was sitting right next to you!!!!! This genuinely infuriates me

2. I don't care what anybody says about how moving and important Pa Kent's death scene was (the whole dog thing made it dumb for me anyway). If you loved your dad, knew you had superpowers and thought there was a chance to save your dad's life, there's no chance you would not do it. I could not care less if his Dad was trying to protect him and Clark trusted him, no, if any one of you loved your dad and you had the superpowers to potentially save his life you would all not think twice about exposing yourself to try and save him, whether he tells you not to or not.

I thought the film was fairly decent, but Pa Kent's death scene annoyed the hell out of me because it was so stupid.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eternal19

How many people are going to make the same old threads about the same old sh*t

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How many people are going to make the same old threads about the same old sh*t

People are going to continue doing this until the end of time:D

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Bezza

Well I've been thinking about this for some time (Zod being butt kicked by Superman) and think there are several explanations. 1) Superman had been used to his powers for some time and was building confidence in them, whereas Zod had the training, but his super strength was quite new to him. A similar thing happened in the Donner thing IMO. 2) Zod was so blood lusted by the end battle that it just became a slugging contest. Reminds me a bit of Thor v Hulk battles. You know in theory that Thor should own Hulk's arse, but he always fights like an idiot, allowing Hulk to fight him on Hulk's terms...

and 3....I really wish people would just let this MOS thing drop...p-please!! So many moans about the film, personally I was just glad to see another Superman film after so many years off screen and someone try and do something different from the boy scout thing. Ok, they missed the mark on several counts, but I think the next film will be better....

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.