Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

MoS SPOILER TALK! DON'T CLICK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET!

• 65 results
    marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By marvelftw

I just wanna know what you guys thought about the movie without censoring yourself. Like what did you think of the end of Superman and Zod's fight? Did it seem out of character? I definitely could see why he did it...it just felt a little weird lol

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Don't know how I feel.

It was weird. It did somewhat feel out of place. However, it did make sense. This is a new Superman. This IS his first time around the block as the caped hero.

He hesistated. He came down to "Me or humanity.". The reaction of his own choice was powerful enough.

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideburnguru: Yeah, he definitely felt remorse for it. And one of my friends who saw the midnight screening with me was wondering how Superman was gonna defeat Zod without killing him if they're both almost invincible (plus Zod was getting stronger).

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan: And nice article. It justifies him doing that, and I can roll with it, so long as he doesn't make a habit of it in the sequel lol

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SideburnGuru

@marvelftw said:

@sideburnguru: Yeah, he definitely felt remorse for it. And one of my friends who saw the midnight screening with me was wondering how Superman was gonna defeat Zod without killing him if they're both almost invincible (plus Zod was getting stronger).

As said, it's not like he had a choice in the matter. So I agree with your friend, that was pratically the only way.

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sideburnguru: He could have always chose to let the family die lol

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelftw: He'd still be killing someone, in a sense.

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By marvelftw
    SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That moment was perfect. It's pretty much the same thing Byrne did back in the 80's except much, much better.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Isn't it an homage to when he had to kill Zod by snapping his neck in the comics? Seems to me "Snydes" and Co. did their homework, as opposed to certain other production teams (cough "Shane Black" cough)

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

To be fair, it was the ultimate lose-lose situation so Superman snapping Zod's neck is entirely justified in my eyes. Plus I think this is a good way of setting the ground for his code against killing.

Still it did feel a bit weird seeing somebody like Supes kill somebody, I even flinched when it happened. Not to mention I heard a few gasps in the theater I was in.

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By marvelftw

To be fair, it was the ultimate lose-lose situation so Superman snapping Zod's neck is entirely justified in my eyes. Plus I think this is a good way of setting the ground for his code against killing.

Still it did feel a bit weird seeing somebody like Supes kill somebody, I even flinched when it happened. Not to mention I heard a few gasps in the theater I was in.

exactly how I feel about it

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did anyone else see the Wayne Enterprises easter egg?

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelftw: I did it was the satellite that zod threw. Did you catch the Booster Gold one?

in my screening some people clapped. I was like in shock but I saw that he regretted it. Hopefully that is touched upon in the ending.

I liked the last scene with the drone.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved superman going all mk on zod, but he had to do it...the consequences of not doing such would have been a worse thing tolive with. Only thi g that confused me a little was the end guessing lois knows who clark is?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

@thefirstlantern: Well, I can see where the audience is coming from since Zod had pretty much crossed the line of no return at that point. Also there was a booster gold reference? Because all I noticed were the references to Lex Luthor and Batman.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Its not like Superman has never killed anyone before. Sure he'd prefer not to but he will if he has to. Pre crisis Superman once killed a few kryptonians with kryptonite because he ran out of options

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw: when zod is scaling up the building to punch him , there is a building that says balzin comics.

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelftw: I did it was the satellite that zod threw. Did you catch the Booster Gold one?

Nope. Heck, I didn't even notice the Batman one, I just read it on the internet. I'll be looking for it next time I see the movie.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree with almost all of you. His morals are starting to form and I'm sure he will never do that ever again.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my eyes it completely changes the character, and not in a good way. Even if from this moment on he chooses to never kill again, it fundamentally changes the way the character viewed killing. Rather than preserving life due to the belief that all people have the potential for great good, he now refuses to kill due to guilt. This new view is selfish, not noble.

Additionally, this Superman was not inspiring. A truly good Superman plot should make you want to be a better person, not dazzle you with his powers. Call me old fashioned, but I miss the Superman from "Superman vs the Elite"

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't it an homage to when he had to kill Zod by snapping his neck in the comics? Seems to me "Snydes" and Co. did their homework, as opposed to certain other production teams (cough "Shane Black" cough)

Oh poor, poor Mandarin...you got raped in the glory hole so hard...

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite said:

@jointron33 said:

Oh poor, poor Mandarin...you got raped in the glory hole so hard...

Yeah, I think most of us can agree that MoS is a better movie than IM3 (I liked it more at least lol).

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman was put into a literally impossible situation. What could he have done? Its actually a lot like the Doomsday fight in a lot of ways. He had to do literally everything he could to prevent more death, in particular the especially gruesome and immediate death of that family. That is complexity added to the story and the character, and I half expected him to let them die, and frankly, that would have been worse. My stomach had dropped, and I was super tense, I think we all must say, Superman made the right choice. And Snyder was bold and admirable for stepping up to these hardest of questions instead of hiding from them.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what he did at the end seemed to traumatize him, he didn't want to do it, but looking at those people in fear he had to do something, he did what he did and it wrecked him emotionally immediately...a good enough reason for him not to want to do something like that ever again. It's easy for us to say yeah id totally just go kill the joker or so and so he's a mass murderer, but I assume killing someone even if they deserve it isn't as easy as people make it out to be, and it really shouldn't be that easy. This superman was learning who he had to be, this was his FIRST time being superman, he did good deeds but not who he was destined to be yet. People say they want the old fashioned boy scout one but you have to grow into that person.

I didn't want a campy movie, if I wanted one I would watch the old one again where Zod was just a brutish bully who didn't threaten anyone like he did in this. When I watched the old movies I didn't feel like they were an actual threat. in this one the fight with them alone leveled the city. it was either depower them, phantom zone em or kill em.

I respect him for killing and hating it, rather then just saying "no zod I won't kill you, no matter how many thousands of people you slaughter, no matter how many time you trash my city i won't do it!"

People say he's never killed before, but he has, as a last resort...so these people who say he would NEVER do that, go read some more I guess. Idk

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was in an impossible situation and even if he let zod live zod wld have proceded to kill him and everyone else on the planet, plus when darkseid posed a similar threat(final crisis) Batman shot him. So i think it was justified and strongly showed the MAN aspect of superman as it really humanised him.

josai21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is my big question....Did the family live? You will notice that you never see the family after he kills Zod. So I am curious, did Superman kill Zod to save the family? Or did he kill Zod in rage after seeing the family die? Just an interesting lack of information regarding that.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Perezite

@lilben42 said:

@thefirstlantern: I think some people clapped in my viewing too.

That's...really fucked up man. I'm not gonna lie.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

To everyone complaining about Superman killing Zod... ... it was very well played out... and no one had a problem when Captain America was throwing people off the hellcarrier and shooting at them with an assault rifle in the Avengers.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudzackvincent: Captain America isn't known for not killing as well as Superman.

@perezite: How?

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Perezite

To everyone complaining about Superman killing Zod... ... it was very well played out... and no one had a problem when Captain America was throwing people off the hellcarrier and shooting at them with an assault rifle in the Avengers.

Ummm...actually...I HAD a bit of a problem, if only because I'm pretty sure half those people were brainwashed and had families.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Perezite

@lilben42 said:

@cloudzackvincent: Captain America isn't known for not killing as well as Superman.

@perezite: How?

Because they were clapping for someone straight up mercing someone else and NOT the remorseful portion afterwards. If they had said, "OH SHIT! SUPERMAN CRACKED ZOD'S NECK LIKE A SODA CRACKER!" and THEN clapped with he was crying and holding onto Lois, I would have been fine. But the fact that they straight up clapped at the point of Zod's death is straight up barbaric man. Worse. It's like the Roman's at the coliseums right before the fall of the empire (symbolic of the upcoming fall of America and Western Society as whole, perhaps?).

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: Well it wasn't like someone killed someone else in cold blood. Zod was about to kill an innocent family and Superman killed him to save that family.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42 said:

@perezite: Well it wasn't like someone killed someone else in cold blood. Zod was about to kill an innocent family and Superman killed him to save that family.

And that makes it okay to clap that someone killed someone else like that? Jesus man! I felt so sorry for Zod in that final battle with Superman! Think about it: he was raised from birth to be a fighter. Heck, even BEFORE he was born, his destiny, that of a conqueror and soldier was already spelled out for him and he was never given a choice otherwise. And, once the chances for his planet and his people are truly gone, he becomes like a mad bull consumed by pain and loss quite akin to Black Adam towards the end of 52.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By lilben42

@perezite: So because he had a bad past it was okay for him to stay alive? Zod was lost and alone but he also thought that Krypton was superior to Earth and was going to commit genocide. Sure I would think it was wrong to clap if Superman just randomly killed him but he didn't. Its not right to clap but it shouldn't be frowned upon either.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Perezite

@lilben42 said:

@perezite: So because he had a bad past it was okay for him to stay alive?

Not necessarily. Just that it ain't alright to clap at him being killed.

Avatar image for showboatingpenguin
    ShowboatingPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have a feeling that Superman killing Zod will play a huge part in the sequel.

anyone?

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#43  Edited By Nerx

Don't mind readin so long as nobody posts gifs or vidclips

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Perezite

@showboatingpenguin said:

I have a feeling that Superman killing Zod will play a huge part in the sequel.

anyone?

I agree and I HOPE they have that. I also hope hat Lex, if he's in the next one, uses that to his advantage. Preferably in a "reason you suck" speech.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@lilben42: i m pretty sure post war, he is not a killer.... and more importantly its not like Superman has never killed before. He has had many incarnations and in some of them he did kill his enemies... so just think of MOS as another incarnation. Technically even post crisis, he killed Doomsday and i m pretty sure at that time he was unaware of Doomsday's ability to return from the dead. Also, its not like he killed Zod for the heck of it... it was a tough choice and he was devastated afterwards.

marvelftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@showboatingpenguin: Yeah, it should at least. To be honest I was a little surprised they didn't show more of Supes reaction after he screamed. They just went into a kinda funny scene right after that one.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was well played and totally justified. For all those who don't know, Superman has killed before. Hell, he snapped Zods neck once for crying out loud.

In my eyes it completely changes the character, and not in a good way. Even if from this moment on he chooses to never kill again, it fundamentally changes the way the character viewed killing. Rather than preserving life due to the belief that all people have the potential for great good, he now refuses to kill due to guilt. This new view is selfish, not noble.

Additionally, this Superman was not inspiring. A truly good Superman plot should make you want to be a better person, not dazzle you with his powers. Call me old fashioned, but I miss the Superman from "Superman vs the Elite"

What? How did you even come to selfish?? Oh, and no, a good Superman plot does not have to be 'inspiring'. The plot was fine, it was emotional and and well written. Not even Donner's Superman made me want to go rescue a cat lol

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cloudzackvincent: That's great but it doesn't change the fact that everyone knows Superman doesn't kill. I really think Zack Snyder is going to make it like the old comic when superman killed Zod with kryptonite. They should make more development of Supes in the next one.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SandMan_

The movies was good, sure it has its problems....But that untimely goes down to either Goyer or Snyder.

As far as the Superman killing Zod thing....There was no other way this would have ended.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.