Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

MOS: Questioning Jor El's Plan

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By W3BST3R

I'm re-watching MOS and I remembered reading on here or another site and in the novelization, something about time and space moving differently in the DCCU Phantom Zone. It implied/explained that baby Kal traveled 2000 years into the future upon his arrival into our solar system. I also read that this meant Jor El intended to send his child to Earth during our Middle Ages..?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. The reason the ship in the Arctic was 2000 years old was that it was a ship from Krypton's colonising days before they decided to start harnessing their own planet's resources that led to its destruction.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since you're rewatching the film, concentrate on Jor-el's storytelling to Clark regarding Krypton's history as well as Zod's explanation as to why they came to Earth.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Relativity's a B!#ch.

Dr_Harlequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was actually 20,000 years old.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t think that Jor-El intended to send Kal-El exactly to Earth … Planet that meets requirements for Kryptonians to live on it (in our case Earth) were found literally in last minutes by Lara.

Indeed, according to MOS novelization, chronologically spaceship with infant Kal-El went into hyperspace-Phantom Zone 2000 years ago.

We can assume that MOS creators stroked the humanity’s ego a little by it. Maybe they wanted to say that humans develop in faster rate than most galactic civilizations. If it wasn’t the case and Kal-El landed on Earth during Crusade, then Jor-El’s remark “He will a god for them” suddenly seems reasonable. During that time period Superman would have literally perceived as a god.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By W3BST3R

@sanohibiki: "Indeed, according to MOS novelization, chronologically spaceship with infant Kal-El went into hyperspace-Phantom Zone 2000 years ago.

We can assume that MOS creators stroked the humanity’s ego a little by it. Maybe they wanted to say that humans develop in faster rate than most galactic civilizations. If it wasn’t the case and Kal-El landed on Earth during Crusade, then Jor-El’s remark “He will a god for them” suddenly seems reasonable. During that time period Superman would have literally perceived as a god."

This is what I was referring to, not the scout ship. I honestly think they should have made that movie, it'd be crazy. Imagine if they marketed it as the movie we saw, but in theaters it's Superman in the Dark Ages. Also, can you explain that "he went into hyperspace-Phantom Zone 2000 years ago"? I'm confused by how that works.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w3bst3r:

Also, can you explain that "he went into hyperspace-Phantom Zone 2000 years ago"? I'm confused by how that works.

Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear in the last time.

Novelization inferred to both space-travel (like baby Kal’s ship done) and to imprisonment in Phantom Zone as a “time-space manipulation”. I gathered that this different application of the one and the same technology, that’s why I wrote “infant Kal-El went into hyperspace-Phantom Zone 2000 years ago”.

And please don’t ask me how that works with relativity theory, I’m not strong in physics. I don’t even understand for sure how that worked out for Zod and his crew. One jump for infant Kal took 2 millenia, Zod made multiple jumps all over the galaxy before he found Supes.

Imagine if they marketed it as the movie we saw, but in theaters it's Superman in the Dark Ages.

Such deception wouldn’t have been forgiven IMO, but that nice recipe for a good Else world story, in any case. Also, I can give couple of concepts of middle ages DC characters.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By W3BST3R

@sanohibiki: Yeah I don't understand the mechanics of it either, that's probably why they left it out of the final cut.

I would love to see that Elseworlds story! DC should get on it. Except, Supes shouldn't wear actual armor, Bats should have a mask and not just a hood, and Lex looks perfect.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SanoHibiki

@w3bst3r:

Must have added it to my previous post, but will do it here.

I think that Lara didn’t say specifically that Kal’s journey to Earth will last for 2 thousand years; she said that it will take several millennia. So, perhaps, that’s was longer than we think.

that's probably why they left it out of the final cut.

Perhaps that wasn’t completely cut off.

When Jor-El looked though Earth’s data, he commented that it “has intelligent population” and brought this image for close inspection.

No Caption Provided

Of course I could be wrong but for me it looks like skull’s structure of Neanderthal. The Neanderthals went extinct around 28 - 30 thousand years ago – at least, that closest date to our time period I know about. So, we may assume than chronologically Superman was born on Krypton around 30 000 years ago.

What can I say? MOS timeline is not very clear.

Supes shouldn't wear actual armor

Well, if Supes didn’t find his Kryptonian ceremonial uniform, he has to wear something durable during saving lives - in that time period only such knight’s armor would meet requirements IMO. Of course he didn’t need it for protection.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By W3BST3R

@sanohibiki: That's even crazier if Jor El meant to send Kal to a world populated by cavemen! He would've been a god for sure.

You're right. Although, if he can't get his "traditional" costume, he should totally get a really nice suit of armor. Something that doesn't look like everyone else's and maybe a snazzier S.

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@w3bst3r: @sanohibiki: Hey guys - keep in mind that the novel was based on the movie - not the other way around - so he was writing things that were originally conceived by Goyer and Snyder. While they get a fair amount of access to these guys minor details like that might not have been covered and the writer already said the early Krypton stuff was his biggest difficulty.

This means that the process of travel might be some creative license on part of the author in trying to explain something that the movie neglects to cover.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wishiwassuperman: Oh, I have no qualms with the novelization. I just wish that if they're gonna bring something up that heavily implies so much, they could at least try to thoroughly explain it. Or tell people whether or not Kal was born 2,000 or 30,000 years ago.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w3bst3r:

That's even crazier if Jor El meant to send Kal to a world populated by cavemen! He would've been a god for sure.

I guess that Kal’s parents were betting that when ship with their son would land on Earth, our civilization would develop much further comparing with what they saw so far. As Lara said, “those primitive savages should have progressed considerably”.

@wishiwassuperman:

As far as I know, Greg Cox based novelization on the original screenplay, which was later several times revised and cut for movie itself. I’m aware that practically every novelization of motions picture takes some liberties with original info. Still, I simply would have prefed that supplementary information sources to MOS further defined and completed original. Taken separate – prequel comics, MOS, novelization – perfectly alright, but together, sadly, they are little contradicting each other with depicted timeline. I wish that this issue would have been solved.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By MakkyD

@sanohibiki: Would Batman not be just an Assassin's Creed character? :P

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd:

I simply once stumbled upon those nice designs for medieval DC characters. I didn’t read Bats’ comics in more than 12 years, so, please, guys, don’t ask me about Batman.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: Did she say that in the movie or the novelization?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w3bst3r: She thought it in the novelization.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By W3BST3R

@SanoHibiki: I see. I wonder if it's in correspondence to the whole 'stars that are light years away are long dead' thing..?

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By WIshIWasSuperman

@w3bst3r:

That's even crazier if Jor El meant to send Kal to a world populated by cavemen! He would've been a god for sure.

I guess that Kal’s parents were betting that when ship with their son would land on Earth, our civilization would develop much further comparing with what they saw so far. As Lara said, “those primitive savages should have progressed considerably”.

@wishiwassuperman:

As far as I know, Greg Cox based novelization on the original screenplay, which was later several times revised and cut for movie itself. I’m aware that practically every novelization of motions picture takes some liberties with original info. Still, I simply would have prefed that supplementary information sources to MOS further defined and completed original. Taken separate – prequel comics, MOS, novelization – perfectly alright, but together, sadly, they are little contradicting each other with depicted timeline. I wish that this issue would have been solved.

I know what you mean - the issue is the novel is completed before the film - there's an interview with the author where he says that it's hard writing something like this. He found The Dark Knight Rises easier as he'd seen the previous two films already, so knew roughly what was happening and how it would play out - he knew what Nolan would do and he style. However he says with MoS he was a little stuck and upon seeing the film found some of what he'd imagined or thought wasn't consistent and he'd gotten a few things here and there "wrong" I guess - but then again from what I've seen he still did a pretty good job with what he had.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By W3BST3R

@wishiwassuperman: He did, no doubt about that. You would think, with all the time put into MOS, that a creative team would've been put in charge of continuity and cohesiveness within each project (film, comic, and novel).

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SanoHibiki

@wishiwassuperman:

from what I've seen he still did a pretty good job with what he had.

Novelization further expanded MOS universe, developed characters, gave me answers on some unclear moments. So I guess it was pretty much as good as novelization of motion picture can be. Cox done best he could with information source he had in that time.

@w3bst3r:

with all the time put into MOS, that a creative team would've been put in charge of continuity and cohesiveness within each project

Actually, MOS can be described as somewhat rushed in production. They actually started shooting before the script was even finished; add to that the legal battles over the rights to the film being fought between Time Warner/DC and the estates of Siegel and Schuster.

W3BST3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: Ahh, it's kind of sad that money can stand in the way of Supes' greatness. Guess he isn't totally invincible.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.