Matt Idelson (Editor of Superman) talks about Lois and Clark

#1 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Will Jones (wjones4179@hotmail.com) asks: After reading the latest interview with Keith Giffen and Dan Jurgens, whose plans honestly gave me a sense of 'been there, done that', along with the disturbing implication that Lois and Clark are inevitable,which to me is another word for lazy and unimaginitive, I'm wondering why there seems to be such an aversion to taking chances with Superman. In a previous Ask Matt, one fan brought up the possibility of another book in the Superman line, in which you questioned him starring in it, and I'd like to know why Bruce Wayne can have four books of his own but it's too much for Superman to even have three. And I can already see the whole sales argument coming, as valid as it might be, so what about a miniseries for Superman fans who aren't fans of the traditional trappings of the character, in my case the Lois and Clark nonsense.
Matt: Hey, Will! Despite what you took away from that interview, Clark and Lois are NOT inevitable, and in fact it isn't going to happen, at least while I'm on watch duty. There will be romance of varying degrees in both characters' lives in the months to come, but not with each other, so you don't have to sweat that.
As far as launching another Supes title, we first want to get things stabilized for the long-term with SUPERMAN, since we had to change things up just six issues in. I think by the November issue of the book, we'll have a sense of if what we're doing is working, if not before, and then we can look at expanding things further. I've got a trio of ideas for expanding the line, but they need to be done at the right time so they have the best chance of long term success.

I'm excited about this. I've always been annoyed at how Clark and Lois always ends up together. It pisses me off to no end and the fact that we know everytime Superman gets into a relationship with someone else, he would inevitable break up with them to end up with Lois.

But With what DC is going through I applaud their efforts at this new universe to embrace the power of relationships.

Now lets bring back Lana Lang who is Superman's true love and let them be together in the new 52.

Also secondly, I'm excited that we'll be seeing a new Superman book should sales stabilise. I'm currently buying all of the titles in Superman family and would be exhilarated to get a new one to my pull list. Heres my money DC, its whether you want it or not.

#2 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

Lois is Superman's true love, not Lana. The fact that they broke up that "power couple" is reminding me a bit too much of OMD. If there is any character in comics that could pull off a stable relationship it's Superman. The fact that characters keep being torn apart from their marriages sickens me.

Some characters should stay single (Batman) and others work best when they are married or at least in a relationship (Superman). Having Lois also gives him a better tether to humanity, rather than just being raised in Kansas by two old people.

#4 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@r3d_rob1n: Not really OMD is a mess and a stupid idea. Flashpoint reverse the whole universe, so everyone is de-aged. Many of them are starting their career, so it would not make sense for them to be married.

Also Clark Kent's true love is Lana Lang.

Lois Lane should be kicked to the side or get into some horrible accident.

#5 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL at Lana being Clark's true love.

#6 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio
@r3d_rob1n

Lois is Superman's true love, not Lana. The fact that they broke up that "power couple" is reminding me a bit too much of OMD. If there is any character in comics that could pull off a stable relationship it's Superman. The fact that characters keep being torn apart from their marriages sickens me.

Some characters should stay single (Batman) and others work best when they are married or at least in a relationship (Superman). Having Lois also gives him a better tether to humanity, rather than just being raised in Kansas by two old people.

Yessssss
#7 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: I think you watched too much Smallville, and then stopped watching around season 6. Lois is a way better character and a better match for out of high school Clark.

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah. Dern told me.

#9 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Never cared about Lois to begin with. I'm open to new love interest that aren't Lois nor Lana.

#10 Posted by Z3RO180 (6558 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: Lana lang really?? i know she was his friend and all but she wasnt his ture love thats lois lane. Plus the whole i love you lana thing that happend in smallvile for a whole 6-8 seasons was crap cause it draged on for so dame long.

#11 Posted by Z3RO180 (6558 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: been read ding some stuff on the foarms tat WW and supes are being put together as a couple is there any word from DC or is it just rumors cause if its ture im not sure were i stand on it.

#12 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@Z3RO180: Seems to be a rumor so far. Nothing has been done. I was expecting to see that Supes did date WW in those 5 years.
#13 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Again with the Lana rant. How about we rid Superman of either pointless relationships considering we've already "been there, done that". Give Superman a new love interest.

#14 Posted by Z3RO180 (6558 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64: i going to admit i would be intersting to see them together but right now my main consen with supes is that i am hopeing they dount depower him to the pount were its just PIS

#15 Posted by The_Tree (7483 posts) - - Show Bio
Clark and Lois are NOT inevitable,

LOL. What a load of s***. We all know it'll happen sooner or later.

#16 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

Bring on any and all love interests u can!! WW,Maxima,Powergirl maybe,that'll be like other worldly incest though so no,Zatanna,Lana and Lori the mermaid or any other characters they might create, makes for a good story like spiderman and his multiple girlfriends,even though theres always those deep feelings both MJ and him share for each other even after one more day or watever.but whether its 5 yrs from now or 50 yrs from now,or when Matt Idelson is not on watch duty,i think Superman and Lois Lane will and should get back together.

@r3d_rob1n said:

Agreed!!

#17 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare said:

After reading the latest interview with Keith Giffen and Dan Jurgens, whose plans honestly gave me a sense of 'been there, done that', along with the disturbing implication that Lois and Clark are inevitable,

Now I want to read Giffen's Superman even more.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.