Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Mass Superman Convert Looming in Two Months

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gotwillpower

With Man of Steel, Superman: Unchained #1, and the animated movie Superman: Unbound, will there be a resurgence in Superman's popularity? I'm sure comic fans will remain, for the most part, the same, but what do you think about casual movie fans? Lots of my friends are Batman fans after watching the Nolan trilogy, but do you think Man of Steel will change that?

I've always been a Batman purist, but Superman's grown on me this year. After reading All Star Superman, I would say he's in my top three characters. How about you guys?

Edit: Basically, do you think all of the casual Batman fans (from the Nolan movies) will become Superman fans after Man of Steel? Has it changed your opinion of Superman comics?

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

I think if the film is any good, it could bring in quite a few new fans. Comic book films seem to be quite popular at the moment, and he's already a pretty well known character, so I imagine a lot of people will go and see it. It may inspire some people to look into Superman in his natural habitat, and actually buy some comics. Starting a new comic series at around the same time as the film is a good idea, as a lot of people will probably be more comfortable starting reading at an #1. June could be the start of Superman having the same kind of hype that Batman has had over the last few years.

Personally, I'm not a fan, and probably won't bother seeing the film.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By turoksonofstone

Man of Steel is make or break for this franchise and for DC.

though they might bring back old DC if it bombed and we get his red panties back.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel is make or break for this franchise and for DC.

though they might bring back old DC if it bombed and we get his red panties back.

Yay, red panties...wait, ugh, no Justice League film.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I think if the film is any good, it could bring in quite a few new fans. Comic book films seem to be quite popular at the moment, and he's already a pretty well known character, so I imagine a lot of people will go and see it. It may inspire some people to look into Superman in his natural habitat, and actually buy some comics. Starting a new comic series at around the same time as the film is a good idea, as a lot of people will probably be more comfortable starting reading at an #1. June could be the start of Superman having the same kind of hype that Batman has had over the last few years.

Then why'd you respond in a Superman centric forum?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: I was just responding to the questions asked.

I don't need to be a fan to have thoughts on what might happen do I?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Supes won't reach Batman in terms of mainstream appeal, because he lacks that "dark and gritty" factor. That said, the comic and movie world need a great Superman film. Superman (all versions except Johns' JL) is one of the greatest fictional characters ever. He deserves a truly defining modern cinematic moment, and I think if he gets that, people will respond positively.

Iron Man gained a huge fanbase after his film came out, and it's not even very good. The same for Thor.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees:

I was just responding to the questions asked.

I don't need to be a fan to have thoughts on what might happen do I?

No. You still should at least respect the character if you're going to post at all though.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supes won't reach Batman in terms of mainstream appeal, because he lacks that "dark and gritty" factor. That said, the comic and movie world need a great Superman film. Superman (all versions except Johns' JL) is one of the greatest fictional characters ever. He deserves a truly defining modern cinematic moment, and I think if he gets that, people will respond positively.

Iron Man gained a huge fanbase after his film came out, and it's not even very good. The same for Thor.

Makes you think if humanity is even worth saving at this point if "dark and gritty" is what's required to become mainstream and acceptable these days. Then again, I gave up on the race a long time ago, so this isn't really anything new to me.

Care to share your thoughts on Iron Man and Thor?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: All I said was that I'm not fan. It's not like I insulted him or something.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Makes you think if humanity is even worth saving at this point if "dark and gritty" is what's required to become mainstream and acceptable these days. Then again, I gave up on the race a long time ago, so this isn't really anything new to me.

Eh, it's just how the world is. "Dark" = adult. Not accurate, of course, but it's the mentality.

Iron Man and Thor were just forgettable special effects romps with one-liners and lots of BANG BOOM. Not to take away from their enjoyment factor, but they are dreadfully generic.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HeWhoSees

@hewhosees: All I said was that I'm not fan. It's not like I insulted him or something.

Is there a difference where you're concerned?

If there is, then I apologize.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

Eh, it's just how the world is. "Dark" = adult. Not accurate, of course, but it's the mentality.

Iron Man and Thor were just forgettable special effects romps with one-liners and lots of BANG BOOM. Not to take away from their enjoyment factor, but they are dreadfully generic.

Oh how I wish I had access to the anti-life equation...

What about Robert Downy Junior's acting and the beginning for that film and what, to you, made them forgettable?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: I'd say 'not a fan' is a pretty neutral opinion of a character. I don't really like or dislike Superman, I'm just not interested in him. It's unlikely I'd ever insult or praise him.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@hewhosees said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

What about Robert Downy Junior's acting and the beginning for that film and what, to you, made them forgettable?

DIE FOR DARKSEID.

RDJ is good and everything before the final fight in Iron Man is fun, but it's just not a movie that resonates beyond the fact that it's fun.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@hewhosees said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

DIE FOR DARKSEID.

RDJ is good and everything before the final fight in Iron Man is fun, but it's just not a movie that resonates beyond the fact that it's fun.

What do you mean by resonate?

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@hewhosees said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

DIE FOR DARKSEID.

For that statement about no one caring in twenty years, what do you think of Tim Burton's Batman or Chris Reeves Superman?

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@hewhosees: Christopher Reeves' Superman was superb, and Tim Burton's Batman films were stylistically unique.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: Christopher Reeves' Superman was superb, and Tim Burton's Batman films were stylistically unique.

And Iron Man 1 and 2 had Robert Downy Junior giving a performance that gave him a career again.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt I hope your right about man of steel it would be shame if after three awesome trailers that the movie bombs in the box office.

Dm225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It happened with Batman.

It happened with Iron Man.

If it's good why would there be any doubt it would happen with Superman?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By TDK_1997

He won't reach batman in terms of popularity after the movies because he is missing that thing that makes Batman awesome,he is dark and gritty and that's why some people love him.While Superman is all lightened up but of course people will get to care more for the character.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JLDoom

Yeah, if the movie does well I think his popularity will definitely increase.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good. I'd rather have people say they love Superman but have never read a comic than have people who claim to hate Superman but have never read a comic.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By novi_homines

He will indeed pass up batman. We're seeing a transition of the end of batman's reign as the top dog at dc, and the beginning of Superman's. It isn't the first time, superman has been more popular up to about the late '80s, early '90s. Its just a new part of that cycle. And I find all these "people want dark and gritty" comments funny. I think people want a change to hope, and inspiration. Just look at the president's campaign. It was built around the whole "hope" slogan. And it inspired people. I think this will do the same for superman, and it may even have a greater effect as a result. Batman's dark and gritty feel most likely only appealed to young people and teens. Superman can appeal to everyone, from the young, to the old. Look at this guy, even with the movie not being out yet, I already want to be like him. lol

No Caption Provided
    HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He will indeed pass up batman. We're seeing a transition of the end of batman's reign as the top dog at dc, and the beginning of Superman's. It isn't the first time, superman has been more popular up to about the late '80s, early '90s. Its just a new part of that cycle. And I find all these "people want dark and gritty" comments funny. I think people want a change to hope, and inspiration. Just look at the president's campaign. It was built around the whole "hope" slogan. And it inspired people. I think this will do the same for superman, and it may even have a greater effect as a result. Batman's dark and gritty feel most likely only appealed to young people and teens. Superman can appeal to everyone, from the young, to the old. Look at this guy, even with the movie not being out yet, I already want to be like him. lol

No Caption Provided

Yeah, and look how that turned out for Obama...

EY-OH!

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: lol exactly! President of the united states. Not too shabby. lol

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most likely. All you need is a halfway decent movie and then you'll become popular just look at Iron Man. His movies werent even that great and look how popular he got

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Firstly, I know some people took your quote personally. I did not, its a silly thing to get worked up over.

However, i did want to highlight your quote to frame up a concept that occurs to me:

Have you ever noticed that comic book movies are the only ones where people will criticize, pass up, or underrate a potentially fantastic film, simply because they arent fans of a character? Its perfectly fine to prefer one company over the other, or like certain characters or hate certain ones, but I never understood why people dont judge the movie on its own merits, purely looking at the quality of the film. You dont generally hear people say, "I dont like James Bond movies, so I wont go see the critically acclaimed Bond film thats out." Or, "I dont like Gandolf, so i wont go see the new LotR Movie," that happens to be a cinematic classic. Its peculiar, as Man of Steel could be the best movie of the year (or the worst) in its own right, regardless of the character who exists separately in the funny books.

Really well stated posts, imo (from Reddit):

denizenKRIM
    420 points 2 days ago

This may be premature, but DC is making a bold statement here. Not only does this seem to be Big Blue's long-awaited (better late than never) comeback to popularity, but it's setting the tone for what the next era can be if other DC heroes make it to screen.

Marvel films are what the fanboys have been dreaming and picturing in their heads since childhood. DC films could be the films that we didn't necessarily "want", but would surprisingly "prefer" as adults. There's a mythic and majestic quality to this picture. It's clearly being presented as something more than just a fun blockbuster. There's dramatic weight and powerful themes being explored. All without ignoring the fact that this is a larger than life world.

This movie needs to hit it big. Ever since Unbreakable and The Dark Knight, I've been completely enamored with an auteur-like approach to these adaptations. Ones that can take concepts originally tailored for children, and reinterpreted (with absolute sincerity to the source) into grandeur visions.

GTEKY 548 points 2 days ago*

Exactly. Whenever people say, "Superman... that's just unreal. Now Batman, that's someone who you can relate to", I think to myself: "Why would I want to relate to a superhero?" I want to BE a superhero. When I was a kid, I wanted to BE Superman. To me, a superhero has nothing to do with how relatable, or "dark" they are. I don't care if Batman is going through emotional problems like I did at 13. To me, that's not the draw.

Superman is the template of all superhero's, and it's just so gratifying to finally see him getting the reboot and respect that he as a character deserves.

filthysize 205 points 2 days ago*

Grant Morrison has an interesting take on the two. He interprets Superman as the more relatable one.

Because as Clark Kent, he has to go to a job every day and answer to a boss who yells at him about deadlines, he chases after a hot smart chick who wouldn't give him the time of day, and puts on this persona to please everyone else. Ripping off your workshirt to become a god that is beloved and help people from disasters is a grown-up's fantasy.

Bruce Wayne, on the other hand, is a jet-setting playboy who inherited billions from his parents and can get any girl he wants, and at night he puts on cool-looking black leather and uses a bunch of James Bond gadgets to beat people up [EDIT: Forgot to add--and then he makes out on rooftops with a sexually ready bad girl who wears a fetish suit and cat ears]. That's a 13 year old boy's fantasy.

SORRY FOR THE HUGE POST

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HeWhoSees

@hewhosees: lol exactly! President of the united states. Not too shabby. lol

You do realize that's more of a curse than a blessing, right?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: It's quite rare for there to be a film that I'm actually interested enough in to actually get around to going to see it in the cinema, so this just isn't one for me. Other peoples opinions on a film are unlikely to affect my decision, so even if everyone loves it, I still probably won't go.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: Its perfectly fine to prefer one company over the other, or like certain characters or hate certain ones

Pfff...not when I get a hold of the anti-life equation. Especially not the preference of one company over the other considering both have a pretty even track record of brilliance and stupidity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

I really hope this does bring in more fans.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

Firstly, I know some people took your quote personally. I did not, its a silly thing to get worked up over.

However, i did want to highlight your quote to frame up a concept that occurs to me:

Have you ever noticed that comic book movies are the only ones where people will criticize, pass up, or underrate a potentially fantastic film, simply because they arent fans of a character? Its perfectly fine to prefer one company over the other, or like certain characters or hate certain ones, but I never understood why people dont judge the movie on its own merits, purely looking at the quality of the film. You dont generally hear people say, "I dont like James Bond movies, so I wont go see the critically acclaimed Bond film thats out." Or, "I dont like Gandolf, so i wont go see the new LotR Movie," that happens to be a cinematic classic. Its peculiar, as Man of Steel could be the best movie of the year (or the worst) in its own right, regardless of the character who exists separately in the funny books.

denizenKRIM

420 points 2 days ago

This may be premature, but DC is making a bold statement here. Not only does this seem to be Big Blue's long-awaited (better late than never) comeback to popularity, but it's setting the tone for what the next era can be if other DC heroes make it to screen.

Marvel films are what the fanboys have been dreaming and picturing in their heads since childhood. DC films could be the films that we didn't necessarily "want", but would surprisingly "prefer" as adults. There's a mythic and majestic quality to this picture. It's clearly being presented as something more than just a fun blockbuster. There's dramatic weight and powerful themes being explored. All without ignoring the fact that this is a larger than life world.

This movie

needs

to hit it big. Ever since Unbreakable and The Dark Knight, I've been completely enamored with an auteur-like approach to these adaptations. Ones that can take concepts originally tailored for children, and reinterpreted (with absolute sincerity to the source) into grandeur visions.

Exactly. Whenever people say, "Superman... that's just unreal. Now Batman, that's someone who you can relate to", I think to myself: "Why would I want to relate to a superhero?" I want to BE a superhero. When I was a kid, I wanted to BE Superman. To me, a superhero has nothing to do with how relatable, or "dark" they are. I don't care if Batman is going through emotional problems like I did at 13. To me, that's not the draw.

Superman is the template of all superhero's, and it's just so gratifying to finally see him getting the reboot and respect that he as a character deserves.

Grant Morrison has an interesting take on the two. He interprets Superman as the more relatable one.

Because as Clark Kent, he has to go to a job every day and answer to a boss who yells at him about deadlines, he chases after a hot smart chick who wouldn't give him the time of day, and puts on this persona to please everyone else. Ripping off your workshirt to become a god that is beloved and help people from disasters is a grown-up's fantasy.

Bruce Wayne, on the other hand, is a jet-setting playboy who inherited billions from his parents and can get any girl he wants, and at night he puts on cool-looking black leather and uses a bunch of James Bond gadgets to beat people up [EDIT: Forgot to add--and then he makes out on rooftops with a sexually ready bad girl who wears a fetish suit and cat ears]. That's a 13 year old boy's fantasy.

SORRY FOR THE HUGE POST

I know what you mean. I pity Scarlotte Rose and people with her (or his) mindset too (and would eliminate it quickly with the anti-life equation).

I mean, I ain't the biggest fan of the X-Men or Kick-Ass (though that has less to do with the characters themselves and more from obsessive fanboy wanking coming from the former and the pretenses behind the latter), but even I, one with minimal knowledge on the characters and comics can admit that X-Men: First Class is one of the better superhero movies ever made because of the camaraderie between Magneto and Professor X, how it makes you understand (if not agree with) Magneto's views, and how you buy into the fact that, despite the fact that these two are good friends, that they are destined to one day become enemies because of their different Ideologies and backgrounds and Kick-Ass was just a fun film that, despite being rather mindless and contradictory with the whole "every man hero thing" a few times, did touch upon some rather dark and true themes about society once or twice (though didn't really get TOO involved in it, like Watchmen).

TheHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

With Man of Steel, Superman: Unchained #1, and the animated movie Superman: Unbound, will there be a resurgence in Superman's popularity? I'm sure comic fans will remain, for the most part, the same, but what do you think about casual movie fans? Lots of my friends are Batman fans after watching the Nolan trilogy, but do you think Man of Steel will change that?

I've always been a Batman purist, but Superman's grown on me this year. After reading All Star Superman, I would say he's in my top three characters. How about you guys?

Edit: Basically, do you think all of the casual Batman fans (from the Nolan movies) will become Superman fans after Man of Steel? Has it changed your opinion of Superman comics?

Hulk hope so.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

denizenKRIM

420 points 2 days ago

This movie

needs

to hit it big. Ever since Unbreakable and The Dark Knight, I've been completely enamored with an auteur-like approach to these adaptations. Ones that can take concepts originally tailored for children, and reinterpreted (with absolute sincerity to the source) into grandeur visions.

SORRY FOR THE HUGE POST

I know what you mean. I pity Scarlotte Rose and people with her (or his) mindset too (and would eliminate it quickly with the anti-life equation).

I mean, I ain't the biggest fan of the X-Men or Kick-Ass (though that has less to do with the characters themselves and more from obsessive fanboy wanking coming from the former and the pretenses behind the latter), but even I, one with minimal knowledge on the characters and comics can admit that X-Men: First Class is one of the better superhero movies ever made because of the camaraderie between Magneto and Professor X, how it makes you understand (if not agree with) Magneto's views, and how you buy into the fact that, despite the fact that these two are good friends, that they are destined to one day become enemies because of their different Ideologies and backgrounds and Kick-Ass was just a fun film that, despite being rather mindless and contradictory with the whole "every man hero thing" a few times, did touch upon some rather dark and true themes about society once or twice (though didn't really get TOO involved in it, like Watchmen).

You pity me? Why, what's the big deal?

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehulk said:

@gotwillpower said:

Hulk hope so.

Hey Hulk! What do you say to deaditegonzo's post about Marvel movies? Does it make you wanna smash!?

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

@hewhosees said:

@deaditegonzo said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

denizenKRIM

420 points 2 days ago

This movie

needs

SORRY FOR THE HUGE POST

It is funny how some fans can not understand that everyone doesn't love the characters they do. I wished less people liked Wolverine and Batman. :)

Concerning the OP's question. Some hype will build for a few months, but overall I would expect a mild rise in Supe fans. Be that older fans returning the comics or a new younger audience. Will I buy a Superman book because of this movie. No. Not unless they can talk Alan Moore to write Supe again.

gotwillpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gotwillpower

@hewhosees said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

blah blah blah sorry this is gotwillpower trying to conserve space

Then why'd you respond in a Superman centric forum?

Actually, I was thinking about posting this in General Discussion, so no need to follow the Superman forum code.

Also, I think it's weird how some super hero movies' aesthetics attract me to their characters irrationally. After watching the third Man of Steel trailer that came out, I suddenly changed my mind about Superman: Unchained. Previously I hadn't planned on purchasing a single issue, but now I'm considering adding it to my pull list, just because I thought the trailer was cool. There must be some social theory on consumerism which explains these tendencies.

Avatar image for davidgrantlloyd
    davidgrantlloyd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Around 30 years ago, Superman was arguably more popular than Batman ... things like 'Dark Knight Returns' and Tim Burton's Batman film got the ball rolling, so to speak, for the Batman franchise ... Superman needs to hit a couple of home runs to get the franchise back on track. Hopefully, 'Man of Steel' and 'Superman Unchained' will accomplish that.

It won't be easy. From my observation, the Superman fanbase is very divided regarding the direction of the character/ franchise.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@hewhosees said:

@deaditegonzo said:

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

denizenKRIM

420 points 2 days ago

This movie

needs

SORRY FOR THE HUGE POST

It is funny how some fans can not understand that everyone doesn't love the characters they do. I wished less people liked Wolverine and Batman. :)

Concerning the OP's question. Some hype will build for a few months, but overall I would expect a mild rise in Supe fans. Be that older fans returning the comics or a new younger audience. Will I buy a Superman book because of this movie. No. Not unless they can talk Alan Moore to write Supe again.

It's not that they can't understand that everyone doesn't love the characters they do, it's that they don't understand WHY that is.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By consolemaster001

Man of steel has the potential to change all that

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

@hewhosees said:

@fadetoblackbolt said:

DIE FOR DARKSEID.

What do you think about the Avengers?

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's not just awful in John's JL, but in Scott Lobdell's Superman too. There aren't any good Superman books currently -___-

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman fans: WOLOLOLO

JUSTICE !!-CM01

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of steel is going to be epic

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

Man of steel is going to be epic

YES

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.