Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Mark "Ultimates / Wanted" Millar writes the new Superman?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

yeah... seriously...

Mark Millar...

this god of comic writing will be writing the new Superman movie...

http://www.comicvine.com/mark-millar/40805/

finally, some fking good news about this project...

In the last few years, writers offering to write projects for free (or at least severely reduced rates) has become more common, with the most recent (until now) being Steve (3 Days of Night) Niles, who claimed he’d write the Hulk for free at Marvel.

Today, with news that Superman Returns screenwriters Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris won’t return for the sequel, reportedly leaving Warner Bros. searching for pitches, another writer has chucked his hat into the “free” ring – Mark (Ultimates, Wanted) Millar.

And he’s already started the ball rolling, according to a post by the creator on his website:

It's 8.58am right now, my guys at CAA get into the office in about seven hours and my call will be waiting for them to talk about this. I want to revamp Superman like Hillary wants thin ankles. Revamping this franchise is what I as given fingers for and so, invited or not, I'm putting my plan together now. I've been asked to work on half a dozen screenplays lately, but this is the only one I have ever truly wanted.

As most here know, I have literally hundreds of pages of notes and sketches just waiting for this opportunity. This would be my dream gig and, as a fan, I know exactly what this project needs to work. This has to be Superman for the 21st Century, keeping everything we adore, but starting from scratch and making the kids love it as much as the 30-somethings. I would honestly write this thing for free.

Anyway, my treatment is being polished as we type. Wish me luck. I want to do that Superman movie we all want to see.

Millar has made no secret of the fact that he’s long wanted to write a or any Superman comic for DC, with his Ultimates collaborator Bryan Hitch on art, however, due to his continued working relationship with Marvel and allegedly due to some of his more controversial comments about DC, there has been no progress on that front.

Millar’s “starting from scratch” comment in regards to a sequel has some basis in the Hollywood rumor mill which Variety claims says that the studio will essentially pull a Hulk onSuperman Returns, that is, ignore or seriously downplay elements from Brian Singer’s movie (itself a “sequel” to Superman II), and start fresh, which is what Marvel is doing with it’s upcoming sequel to Ang Lee’s Hulk. Doing so would allow the franchise to jettison some of the trickier elements of the film, such as Superman’s son.

While the trade says that’s what the industry chatter is, it also dismisses the same rumors, reporting that Warner Bros. denies such plans, and that the Superman Returns sequel will be a sequel in the traditional sense of the word, most likely with Brandon Routh returning in the title role.

Regardless of the form the prospective film will take, we’re sure Millar will keep us updated on his progress. Millar and Hitch's next comic work will be a run on Marvel's Fantastic Four, beginning with issue #554, now scheduled for February

M

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Darkchild

OMFG i am speechless. i will watch this time around i watched the first half an hour of superman returns before falling asleep

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I love Red Son! He best write it!

Superkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Superkitty

I liked his Swamp Thing run, then kind of forgotten about him until recently. Really liked Wanted and Unfunnies (and other stuff I can't remember at this moment)

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I wonder how this would've worked out.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard

@allstarsuperman said:

I wonder how this would've worked out.

Normally I'd be mad at you.... but he did write Red Son

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@saint_wildcard: were lex was a good guy.....and superman was a commie ..... I think he wrote some animated series comics I want to read them to see how he handled it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.