Mark Millar Talks Superman

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

The 'Kick-Ass' writer discusses the possible future of the franchise

We've had a lot of "what if Mark Millar was scripting Superman" articles lately, and IGN caught up with the heralded writer to talk about the "Man of Steel" and Millar's personal relationship with the Superman movie franchise. Millar reveals some things we already knew (like how badly the film did at the box office), as well as what he thinks is the direction that Warner Brothers wants to take the franchise.

The last one cost a lot of money and it didn't make a lot of money, in order to be considered a success the film needs to make at the box office twice of what it would cost to film, so technically the movie is in debt.  

I think Warners is hesitant to do anything with Superman, I think like Batman they just need to let it lie for a little while and then move with a reboot in the future.

I think Matthew [Vaughn] and I have realized we kind of have the perfect setup, we can work outside the system, own the property entirely and just pay for distribution.

I cannot agree with you more, Mark Millar! I think that with how poorly the last Superman film did at the box office, Warner Brothers is definitely hesitant about relaunching the franchise, which is part of the reason why I was so surprised to find out about the possibility of Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan backing a Superman re-boot. Also, it was neat to see Millar admit that oftentimes creative direction can be stifled by the demands of the property owners. I still think I would love to see Millar's seven hour long Superman movie, what do you guys think? Do you wish Millar was writing the script for the 'Man of Steel'? If not, then whom?
#1 Edited by johnny_spam (2032 posts) - - Show Bio

I never noticed it till he said it but Superman did spend the last twenty minutes of the movie in bed. I know Mark Millar waited for years to do Superman Red Sun and I wonder if he would wait just as long to do any Superman story again. He seems to love the character and I read an interview a few years ago saying how he grew up mostly reading DC Comics so it makes me wonder why he keeps staying at Marvel.

#2 Posted by Toastalchemist (168 posts) - - Show Bio

He should turn his script into a comic if the movie doesn't work 

#3 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like the guys who did Dark Knight to write the script, then Superman will probably get as much popularity as Dark Knight, since it has the script writers and Nolan. 
I like how the new Superman film could be called Man of Steel, because it's Supe's nickname and it's like how Batman Begins' sequel was Dark Knight, a nickname for Batman.
#4 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a novel idea.  Do Superman RIGHT in the first place, and we wouldn't have any of these discussions regarding which writer may do what with the character if given the chance.   
Nothing against Millar when I say it but I still don't know about that whole  supposed "Superman being the last person on Earth"  idea.  It's Superman, he is not that difficult to write.  Good Grief, Charlie Brown!  Just show him fighting super-villains.  I don't care about Lois, I don't care about Lex, I don't care about the Daily Planet.  Give me Superman laying the SUPER-SMACK down on baddies like Darkseid, Metallo, I'll even take Bizarro, Brainiac or Doomsday.

Here's a second idea.  Let Geoff Johns and Jim Lee take the reins concerning all the DC properties in terms of movies.  Johns is already doing Flash, right?  Why not Superman?
#5 Posted by Frak (13 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O said:
"Here's a novel idea.  Do Superman RIGHT in the first place, and we wouldn't have any of these discussions regarding which writer may do what with the character if given the chance.   Nothing against Millar when I say it but I still don't know about that whole  supposed "Superman being the last person on Earth"  idea.  It's Superman, he is not that difficult to write.  Good Grief, Charlie Brown!  Just show him fighting super-villains.  I don't care about Lois, I don't care about Lex, I don't care about the Daily Planet.  Give me Superman laying the SUPER-SMACK down on baddies like Darkseid, Metallo, I'll even take Bizarro, Brainiac or Doomsday. Here's a second idea.  Let Geoff Johns and Jim Lee take the reins concerning all the DC properties in terms of movies.  Johns is already doing Flash, right?  Why not Superman? "

I totally agree. What was missing in the first movie was a big beat down on some super villian.
#6 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
@Frak said:
" @Decept-O said:
"Here's a novel idea.  Do Superman RIGHT in the first place, and we wouldn't have any of these discussions regarding which writer may do what with the character if given the chance.   Nothing against Millar when I say it but I still don't know about that whole  supposed "Superman being the last person on Earth"  idea.  It's Superman, he is not that difficult to write.  Good Grief, Charlie Brown!  Just show him fighting super-villains.  I don't care about Lois, I don't care about Lex, I don't care about the Daily Planet.  Give me Superman laying the SUPER-SMACK down on baddies like Darkseid, Metallo, I'll even take Bizarro, Brainiac or Doomsday. Here's a second idea.  Let Geoff Johns and Jim Lee take the reins concerning all the DC properties in terms of movies.  Johns is already doing Flash, right?  Why not Superman? "
I totally agree. What was missing in the first movie was a big beat down on some super villian. "
I agree to an extent. They have to balance good action with good character exploration. Supervillains worked for Superman II, not Superman IV, though.

I think they also have to deal with the moral question of what a god on earth is capable of doing and why Clark doesn't give in. The best parts of Superman II and Superman Returns dealt with Clark's more selfish, human side.
#7 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

I am still waiting for the parenting groups to protest. I imagine that teenagers and children the world over have formulated a stratagem to remain quiet until the majority of them have seen this film, and their parents will learn of it's graphic nature once their ten-year-olds start calling them c#*ts! :D LOL! I love Hit-Girl.

#8 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@Moomin123 said:
" I'd like the guys who did Dark Knight to write the script, then Superman will probably get as much popularity as Dark Knight, since it has the script writers and Nolan. I like how the new Superman film could be called Man of Steel, because it's Supe's nickname and it's like how Batman Begins' sequel was Dark Knight, a nickname for Batman. "
i dont think it works that way. just caus jonathan nolan did a great job on the dark knight doesnt mean that he would also do a great job with superman. whoever they choose to write the script does need to be somebody who has actually done some great films, though. it should also be somebody whose willing to put some real thought into each character instead of just righting a love story with somebody else's characters in it. @Decept-O said:
" Here's a novel idea.  Do Superman RIGHT in the first place, and we wouldn't have any of these discussions regarding which writer may do what with the character if given the chance.   Nothing against Millar when I say it but I still don't know about that whole  supposed "Superman being the last person on Earth"  idea.  It's Superman, he is not that difficult to write.  Good Grief, Charlie Brown!  Just show him fighting super-villains.  I don't care about Lois, I don't care about Lex, I don't care about the Daily Planet.  Give me Superman laying the SUPER-SMACK down on baddies like Darkseid, Metallo, I'll even take Bizarro, Brainiac or Doomsday. Here's a second idea.  Let Geoff Johns and Jim Lee take the reins concerning all the DC properties in terms of movies.  Johns is already doing Flash, right?  Why not Superman? "
i really dont think action is all we need for superman to be a good movie. yeah they do need to write it with more action scenes and a different villian other than just lex luthor, but they also need to change up the way the characters are portrayed. im seriously gettin tired of clark being the clumsy idiot. there are other ways for him to conceal his identity than just actin like he's nerdy and clumsy. so far dean cain is the only one that actually played clark instead of just letting superman be the real character and clarks the guy we dont really want to see. i want to actually see clark do some investigating, cause  that's wat he is an investigative reporter. and i really didnt like that he had a child with lois and she still doesnt even know who he is. its completely stupid for him to have a relationship like that with someone that doesnt even know who he is and on top of that he had a kid with her. when we start fresh we need more creativity and better writing not just action.
#9 Edited by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio

I think after what Wanted generated, and what Kick-Ass is going to do, DC is gonna take a look at what Millar would do with Superman.  Mabye Nolan will hear how good Millar is and maybe get a hold of him himself.  Throw in Bryan Hitch on the story boards and you couldn't paint a better picture of Superman would look like on film.  Hitch would be ideal for the art department.
#10 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't want him anywhere near the Superman Movie franchise.
#11 Posted by LastSon1027 (516 posts) - - Show Bio
@Bruce Vain: I couldn't agree more.

I for one am more than thankful that this NO TALENT HACK MILLAR has nothing to do with Superman. As far as I am concerned he can stay at Marvel forever. I mean all this guy can write is blatant and needless violence with absolutely no worthwhile message or storyline. 
Ultimately I would love to see Geoff Johns script a Superman movie or Grant Morrison, Mark Waid or even James Robinson. These guys are all in tune with who Superman/Clark/Kal are and how his character needs to be portrayed. As far as director I would love to see someone who will give us a high energy movie that still has a powerful story line. Peter Jackson is the first that comes to mind.
#12 Posted by Frak (13 posts) - - Show Bio
@cascadeking09 said:
" @Moomin123 said:
" I'd like the guys who did Dark Knight to write the script, then Superman will probably get as much popularity as Dark Knight, since it has the script writers and Nolan. I like how the new Superman film could be called Man of Steel, because it's Supe's nickname and it's like how Batman Begins' sequel was Dark Knight, a nickname for Batman. "
i dont think it works that way. just caus jonathan nolan did a great job on the dark knight doesnt mean that he would also do a great job with superman. whoever they choose to write the script does need to be somebody who has actually done some great films, though. it should also be somebody whose willing to put some real thought into each character instead of just righting a love story with somebody else's characters in it. @Decept-O said:
" Here's a novel idea.  Do Superman RIGHT in the first place, and we wouldn't have any of these discussions regarding which writer may do what with the character if given the chance.   Nothing against Millar when I say it but I still don't know about that whole  supposed "Superman being the last person on Earth"  idea.  It's Superman, he is not that difficult to write.  Good Grief, Charlie Brown!  Just show him fighting super-villains.  I don't care about Lois, I don't care about Lex, I don't care about the Daily Planet.  Give me Superman laying the SUPER-SMACK down on baddies like Darkseid, Metallo, I'll even take Bizarro, Brainiac or Doomsday. Here's a second idea.  Let Geoff Johns and Jim Lee take the reins concerning all the DC properties in terms of movies.  Johns is already doing Flash, right?  Why not Superman? "
i really dont think action is all we need for superman to be a good movie. yeah they do need to write it with more action scenes and a different villian other than just lex luthor, but they also need to change up the way the characters are portrayed. im seriously gettin tired of clark being the clumsy idiot. there are other ways for him to conceal his identity than just actin like he's nerdy and clumsy. so far dean cain is the only one that actually played clark instead of just letting superman be the real character and clarks the guy we dont really want to see. i want to actually see clark do some investigating, cause  that's wat he is an investigative reporter. and i really didnt like that he had a child with lois and she still doesnt even know who he is. its completely stupid for him to have a relationship like that with someone that doesnt even know who he is and on top of that he had a kid with her. when we start fresh we need more creativity and better writing not just action. "
Yeah, although Superman Returns fell apart for me - I think the writers started out with a great idea, but just couldn't follow through.
I liked the whole "World without Superman" start/feel to the movie.
The plot should have had Superman being more subtle with his "return".
He should have maybe saved the day here and there, but in super fast motion, leading the world to wonder if really had returned - making the world/public question they really needed him in these days/times. Only Lois should have known that he was back for real.
And then at the end, when they need him the most - he should have saved Metropolis from Lex (and maybe a heavy hitting villain) etc... 
Supes saving that airplane and touching down in the baseball field before the entire world should have been the end of the movie.
It would have had far more of an emotional impact for the film.
Although it goes without saying, I really didn't like Supes having a kid in the flick. 
I feel like it was thrown in just as a plot twist or shock value.
#13 Posted by cascadeking09 (6752 posts) - - Show Bio
@Frak said:
" @cascadeking09 said:
" @Moomin123 said:
i really dont think action is all we need for superman to be a good movie. yeah they do need to write it with more action scenes and a different villian other than just lex luthor, but they also need to change up the way the characters are portrayed. im seriously gettin tired of clark being the clumsy idiot. there are other ways for him to conceal his identity than just actin like he's nerdy and clumsy. so far dean cain is the only one that actually played clark instead of just letting superman be the real character and clarks the guy we dont really want to see. i want to actually see clark do some investigating, cause  that's wat he is an investigative reporter. and i really didnt like that he had a child with lois and she still doesnt even know who he is. its completely stupid for him to have a relationship like that with someone that doesnt even know who he is and on top of that he had a kid with her. when we start fresh we need more creativity and better writing not just action. "
Yeah, although Superman Returns fell apart for me - I think the writers started out with a great idea, but just couldn't follow through. I liked the whole "World without Superman" start/feel to the movie. The plot should have had Superman being more subtle with his "return". He should have maybe saved the day here and there, but in super fast motion, leading the world to wonder if really had returned - making the world/public question they really needed him in these days/times. Only Lois should have known that he was back for real.And then at the end, when they need him the most - he should have saved Metropolis from Lex (and maybe a heavy hitting villain) etc...  Supes saving that airplane and touching down in the baseball field before the entire world should have been the end of the movie. It would have had far more of an emotional impact for the film. Although it goes without saying, I really didn't like Supes having a kid in the flick.  I feel like it was thrown in just as a plot twist or shock value. "
that's exactly how i feel, there was absolutley no reason to make her kid be his son.  the only reason they even did that is so they could have somethin to mess around with if they did a sequal. it was just plain stupid.i also think that the movie would have done better had they saved his return for the end of the movie. and lex should realize that his life is nothing without superman and that even he needed superman so that he could have challenge and not be bored.
#14 Posted by MKF30 (11635 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as they do him more correctly, who cares who directs it? 

I mean at this point it seems that whoever they suggest you'll always find "those fans" out there never satisfied....I hate to say it but sometimes you have to say "we can't worry about the fans ruling constantly" I know as a fan myself, we're important but come on....sure Superman Returns wasn't "the best" but it definitely wasn't the worst Superman movie either... that's not to say it couldn't have been better though. 

I think Lois and Lex should be in there but not as the main sidelines for Supes to deal with(everyone and their mother knows who Lois and Lex are by now) I think having a super villian is a good idea for sure......doomsday, not so sure only because we all know how that's going to end....

#15 Posted by CylonDorado (1867 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he could make a good Superman movie. Kick-ass looks pretty good. I'm not sure though, lol.

#16 Posted by Bruce Vain (1869 posts) - - Show Bio
@LastSon1027:
Couldn't have said it better myself. 

Geoff Johns and Mark Waid would be the best guys definitely, especially Mark . You know it's a pity Bryan screwed this up. Visually he had the right look of it. Reminded me of the old Fleischer cartoons with the old art deco look to it. The only miscasting was Lois and of course the kid. But the main problem was he was TOO much of a fan of the first one. To the point where it felt like a remake to me. Saving the plane (which is always gonna be cool), Lex Luthor and land,  & of Superman doing all the super feats cause by Lex (once again still pretty cool) . I was not happy to see him make him pretty much a home wrecker, and little pieces about the suit I wasn't crazy about. Like the collar, the speedo like trunks,the belt and the small S.  I don't see why they just don't get Richard Donner again. If you're gonna bring in Lex at least give him the power suit where he's somewhat of a challenge like in Public Enemies. This would've been a great opportunity to bring in Brainiac or Metallo. But no we didn't get that. We got Lex once again.
#17 Posted by CylonDorado (1867 posts) - - Show Bio

It sucks because for some reason I really want to see Bizarro, but I know that would just be silly :P.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.