Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Mark Millar Responds To MTV

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Millar: I don't think I said they [DC] couldn't afford me now

No Caption Provided
    Remember when we reported on Mark Millar's interview with MTV? Millar had supposedly pitched his 'Superman' idea to DC about a year ago. In a recent interview when asked by MTV about whether or not we would see his idea develop into a film, Millar replied that DC could no longer afford him.

I don't think they could afford me now. I'll stick with Marvel...I've got Superman's cape hanging up in my hall—I bought Christopher Reeves' cape 5 years ago - that's how much it means to me," he explained. "I would love a chance to do it, but there's something just magical about doing your own stuff."

Was the original article straightforward or slanted? The question remains, was Millar  joking when gave his statement, should DC Entertainment be offended, or did Millar never actually say anything of the sort? Millar addressed the article recently on his website and claimed that more than likely, he never said DC could not afford him.

Two quick things:

1/ I don't think I said they couldn't afford me now. If I did I was joking because writing Superman would be a massive payday so if I said that I was obviously laughing at the time. It's possible though as I like being glib.

2/ Nobody has ever seen my Superman idea besides Matthew. We never pitched. I've never done a pitch in my life (it's demeaning) so all this stuff about people hating my Superman ideas, etc, is just bullshit. Nobody's seen it. I don't write or give ideas away for free and simply wouldn't. I mentioned a big epic idea to Empire in a Wanted interview which was a couple of lines long, but no story stuff at all. So the stuff about me pitching is nonsense. I don't and will never pitch. That's why I like working in comics.

MM

It is possible that Millar's witty humor was lost in translation when MTV reported the story; but to cry yellow journalism is another issue entirely. Did he or didn't he? I guess we will never know for sure; then again I don't really know if it matters. 

Update:

MTV responded by posting the footage from their interview with Mark Millar which they had quoted in their article. I have included the footage below.  

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic, but he comes off pompous in the article.

LastSon1027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By LastSon1027

Not a fan of Millar, and after reading the empire article and his idea I don't want him anywhere near Supes.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By No_Name_
    @inferiorego said:
    " I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic, but he comes off pompous in the article. "
    He claimed he never said it, though. That's the real problem. If he was joking why didn't he just say he was joking?
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Babs: The person who probably originally heard it, overheard him jokingly say it at a bar or something, or heard it out of context. Millar is a funny guy, and when I first saw the title of the article, I laughed, but knew he wasn't pompous enough to say anything like that.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By No_Name_
    @inferiorego: It was an interview with MTV. Not something they overheard in a bar..
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Babs: Ohhhh... I should read better. My bad
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By dondasch

Is Millar turning into the next MacFarlane in regards to attitude?

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Moomin123

Millar will be better with Marvel.
    ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwh

Mark's digging a hole for himself by giving this thing yet more attention. I already pretty-much forgot about it.

J-PRIME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By J-PRIME

don't really care.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By johnny_spam

I wonder if he is opposed to writing Superman comics he was one of the writers for the Superman 2000 pitch.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By goldenkey

Superman cried when he lost any chance of getting Mark Millar.  The movie "Wanted" didn't do the comic any kind of justice.  Not that it was bad, it just wasn't the comic.  I remember reading the Millar said someone liked his idea for Supes but Marvel or D.C. has a no competition clause in thier contracts so he couldn't do it for D.C. unless he quit Marvel, or he couldn't do it for D,C, unless he was fired from Marvel, and he's not leaving Marvel all together.  D.C. sells comics, they know what they could get if they land Millar.  Millar and Bendis are the top 2 writers at Marvel, why would they not want either of them.  Nothing he has done has been shunned yet, and it's all made money so far.  He's not a choke artist like Loeb and now maybe Morrison after Final Crisis.  The guys hitting 500. D.C. wishes.  Or Warner Brothers dropped the ball.
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By mattydeNero

Millar is smart.  And sticking with Marvel right now would be the best thing that anyone working for Marvel can do....until they start having problems with Disney then a handful of Marvel's talent will jump to DC because they'll probably "just want to write comics and not deal with the Disney hype".  Of course, that is my own personal opinion.  But seriously, if MTV asks you or me about Superman, we wouldn't forget what we said.  Anytime I see someone respond to being taking out of context with a, "well, if I DID say that...", they're full of it.  You see it in politics everyday.  Millar KNOWS DC can't afford him at this point in time.  I'm still saying that Richard Donner is still fully capible of coming back, and who did he have as an assistant years back?  Oh right, Geoff Johns.

But I have to be realistic in saying that I just don't think that anyone will make a perfect Superman film.  And it's a shame because this generation coming up only really know of the Batman film franchise, and no onther DC films because, well, they aren't any.  Superman Returns was a one-shot, and that's it.  The Donner Superman films(1 and 2) are looked as "old and hokey", and that's a damn shame.  When I was a kid, I thought they were the bee's knees.  All we Supes fans can do is hold out for a possible "SMALLVILLE" movie in a few years.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Sarcasm does not translate well via text. That's why it's so important for the journalist to add things like "[laughs]" if the person says something laughing.

The problem is that he apparently did say it.  He didn't try and toss it aside saying, "it was taken out of context. I was just kidding.".

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

Hey, he said it was possible he said it but didn't think so. That's not a flat-out denial, that just says to me that he probably said it off-hand as a little quip, but was naturally quoted and taken out of context. At the time Millar said it, his brain probably didn't even register it because it was so unimportant. Slips of the tongue happen all the time. 

And honestly, for the haters that would like to see him far away from Superman...Really? why, because "Superman Returns" and DC's subsequent plan for the character's movies was just SO innovative and successful? Please. DC should be begging for fresh blood like Millar to try their hand at their Franchise Player, if they haven't already dropped that ball completely. At any rate, it couldn't POSSIBLY be worse than "Returns". No way, no how.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The video just solidifies that it the statement was a joke. He laughs right after he says it.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By No_Name_
    @inferiorego said:

" The video just solidifies that it the statement was a joke. He laughs right after he says it. "

Why don't I just quote myself? 
    @Babs said:

It is possible that Millar's witty humor was lost in translation when MTV reported the story; but to cry yellow journalism is another issue entirely.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Well, I hadn't seen the video prior to my comment

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By No_Name_

But I wrote the article long before I ever posted the video ;)

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Babs: lol...You have a special talent for making a fool of me numerous times in one thread... then again, it's not very hard.
    Timm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By Timm

the video proves it for me. He was misunderstood. i mean, you don't insult the idea then talk about how much you want to do it and then talk about the DC relics and memorabilia you own unless you were joking when you made the insult. before that, i honestly didn't know what to think... or that is to say i didn't care to think about it.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Media_Master

He's working for Marvel...FOR NOW....

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By NightFang3

That was weird.

Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By Slinger
    @inferiorego said:
    "...then again, it's not very hard. "
    That's what she said!

I'm sorry. It had to be done.
    welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By welshguy

Mark Millar... witty humour?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.