Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Man of steel, Woman of kleenex, by Larry Niven

Schabbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Schabbe

I was just wondering, has anybody here read "Man of steel, Woman of kleenex" by Larry Niven?

It's really entertaining and actually quite interesting.

It's about why superman wouldn't be able to reproduce with a human female.

Here's a short section from the text.

"Assume a mating between Superman and a human woman designated LL for convenience.

The problem is this. Electroencephalograms taken of men and women during sexual intercourse show that orgasm resembles "a kind of pleasurable epileptic attack." One loses control over one's muscles.

Superman has been known to leave his fingerprints in steel and in hardened concrete, accidentally. What would he do to the woman in his arms during what amounts to an epileptic fit" 

So what do you think?  (and yes, it's a serious text, allthough quite funny at times)
    Seems interesting?

Read it here:

Reply and tell me what you think about it.

I did not write the "article", it's writen by Larry Niven

Schabbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Schabbe
    @aztek the lost: Indeed, they do, when Clark and superpowerd Lana have sex and everybody think it's an earthquake, that's just epic ^^
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MrDirector786

That was .... informative... and funny.

Schabbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Schabbe
    @MrDirector786: word ^^
    Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Sparda

They directly talked about this in Dark Knight Strikes Again, I think. Wonder Woman tells Superman that she's pretty much the only woman in the world that he could have sex with and not kill.

He also says to his daughter in the series, when she asks him about sex, "Never with a human. They're too fragile" (IIRC, it might have been another species, though). Kinda one of those fridge logic moments for me after I watched Superman Returns......

Schabbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Schabbe
    @Sparda: i actually i finished reading Dark Knight strikes again today, i think what he says is "Never with terrans" which is basicly the same ^^ 

Yeah everytime i watch superman returns im like "wtf... how?"
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RedK

its also discussed in the movie mallrats at the beginning.

@Schabbe said:

"   Yeah everytime i watch superman returns im like "wtf... how?" "
    Yea the first time i saw that i was like WTF and had to explain it to my brother and dad.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By johnny_spam

I think it's a stupid argument becasue Superman has displayed control over his strength to say he could kill Lois during intercourse is like saying he will rip the door of a henge everytime he opens one or crush someone's hand when he shakes their hands.  Trying to add real world logic to Superman is a waste of time.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Not to mention the fact when he finished, it would probably destroy the woman's insides.

Schabbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Schabbe
    @johnny spam: Not really the same tho. I mean, i can control my strength, but i wouldn't be able controll it during an "epileptic seizure" or whatever it's called it in the text. And neither could Superman..

Did you read  Man of Steel, woman of kleenex? Cuz' what he wrote kinda makes sense..

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Schabbe: @Schabbe said:
    " @johnny spam: Not really the same tho. I mean, i can control my strength, but i wouldn't be able controll it during an "epileptic seizure" or whatever it's called it in the text. And neither could Superman..

Did you read  Man of Steel, woman of kleenex? Cuz' what he wrote kinda makes sense..

"
    Again I don't think real world physics can fit into the DCU at all and the paper was written years ago when Lois and Superman's relationship was not that deep since then they have had sex. 
    Schabbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Schabbe
    @johnny spam: Well ofc not, you're right, theres no room for real world physics in the DCU. but it think the papers is mostly written just for fun :P
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By johnny_spam
    @Schabbe: @Schabbe said:
    " @johnny spam: Well ofc not, you're right, theres no room for real world physics in the DCU. but it think the papers is mostly written just for fun :P "
    Then I'm a party popper, forgive me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.