Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Man of Steel Reviews Are in: Flop?

• 118 results
    novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By novi_homines

Well according to Metacritic, Its just as good as Iron Man 3 sitting at 6.3 in comparison to IM3s 6.2. And according to Rotten Tomatoes, based on all of the compiled reviews, the movie is worse than Iron Man 3. It sits at a 72% fresh rating in comparison to 78% of IM3.

Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic

Seeing how many people seem to point to Iron Man 3's reviews to show how bad the movie was (even though I disagree), does this mean the movie is flopping? And based on the expectations, is it one of the biggest CBM flops ever? I certainly thought it would be one of the best CBMs ever made, up there along with TDK. But early reviews suggest that's not nearly the case. I have also lost all faith in the significance of trailers. This had the best CBM trailers ever. I'm just somewhat shocked right now.

If the averages continue to dip lower, what does this do for DC, and their live action universe moving forward? Iron Man marked the perfect start for Marvel, does DC need the same blessing? Discuss.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC has had its winner in Batman. Nolan's run of films was hugely successful, both financially and critically. So in that sense, it has already had its "Iron Man" moment. Also, comparing its review scores to those of Iron Man 3 isn't really doing much to pare it down... Wasn't Iron Man 3 the most successful (financially) comic book movie in history?

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
    TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

I want to watch and see for myself, too bad the premier isn't until June 26th over here.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Flopping involves money, it has nothing to do with reviews.

The movie will definitely not flop.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By w0nd

I go to ign for movie reviews it got a 9.0 there that's good enough for me. I am afraid if I read to many reviews it will mess up my opinion subconsciously. I won;t read them until after I see it lol

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself

Metacritic and Rottentomatoes are horrible sites

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The day I listen to any info from rotten tomatoes is the day I bear hug an angry bear

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Nerx

@danhimself: tomatoes is pretty accurate compared to imdb

CharlieJade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes there is a big difference between a financial turkey that becomes a cult hit....it lost money but people loved it

and a successful movie hated by fans and critics....it made money but sent the character/franchise into extinction

1 Pearl Harbor, came out after 911, people needed a war movie like this but it is very shallow

2 The disaster movie 2012...made loads of money, everyone hates it

3 Batman and Robin, made WB and Joel Schumacher, very rich, almost crippled the Batman brand for 10 years

4 Sex and the City movie, 4 dirty old cougars telling naughty jokes on the big screen. Makes money but its a terrible film

5 Blair Witch, boring shaking cam film. Cost about 200 bucks to make so it made 5 thousand million percent profit

6 Some Disney crap, Chipmunks or some Santa Claus thing, parents need something to show their baby kids at the cinema, critics hate these movies

1 Dredd, cult hit. Failed at the cinema. Lost money but critics like it. Reluanced the brand and is becoming a DVD Bluray hit

2 Shawshank Redemption loved by everyone but had one of the worst domestic boxoffice results in history

3 Blade Runner, loved by fans hated by investors and bankers

4 Donnie Darkoa lot of film fanatics talk about this one

5 Blade the Vampire Hunter, poor box office but becomes a cult hit and helps launch interest in the MCU

6 The IronGiant, poorly marketed by WB but liked by its audience.

Man of Steel has the UN-enviable task of needing to do both become a cultist hit, being loved by its critics and fans

and the task making lots and lots of money to relaunch the DCU franchise

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

#10  Edited By flazam

Oh I though It was going to be Great?!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@novi_homines:

1. the film isn't even open to the public yet

2. It can't be that bad considering DC just announced signing Snyder on to a 3 film deal (MoS, MoS2 and JLA) and fast tracked the production of MoS 2

Kalel121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novi_homines:

2. It can't be that bad considering DC just announced signing Snyder on to a 3 film deal (MoS, MoS2 and JLA) and fast tracked the production of MoS 2

This. Please don't jump to conclusions novi when you blindly overlook these two considerations.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

no, no ,nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dropped from a 72% on RT to 71%, and from a 6.3 on metacritic, to a 6.2.......... UH OH.

Avatar image for fallen_crippled
    Fallen_Crippled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never listen to rotten tomatoes.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lilben42

71% of critics liked it.

82% of users liked it.

Seriously why would you listen to the critics? They are so stupid most the time.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By novi_homines

I have never listened to reviewers, Thor is my favorite origin movie, X-men 3 was average but not horrible, and superman returns was decent. But lets be honest here, the internet can be a pretty brutal place. And for the most part, people will either bash or praise this movie based on the average reviews it receives. Thats just how it is now and days. I'm sure i'll LOVE it, but if these numbers stay the same, the general consensus on this movie will be that it didn't live up to the gaudy expectations that it had, as if that were even possible. Its a shame really.

Kalel121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dropped from a 72% on RT to 71%, and from a 6.3 on metacritic, to a 6.2.......... UH OH.

If you're seriously using RT and metacritic as reliable sources of information on the film, that's akin to trusting your money to a crooked banker. Seriously, I can think of schizophrenics that are more reliable than RT and metacritic in the film reviewing department. Do yourself a favour and don't listen to them. Wait til you see the film then make a judgement. Besides I refer you back to this. This debunks RT and metacritic with ease.

@novi_homines:

Mild_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zack Snyder has always been a polarizing director, so I'm not surprised here that the reviews here are harsher than they are for, say, a Nolan film.

With that said, out of the 4 Snyder films I've seen, I've adored 3 of them, warts & all. I trust his vision here. I'm supposed to see an early screening of the film tonight, very excited. Even if it's just "good", I'll be content to see Superman on the big screen again after Returns.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yep Im waiting till sunday before deciding if its good or bad. I didn't actually like Iron Man 3 that much, so I think it shows what the reviewers know!

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mild_karl: Exactly the critics judge by director.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RustyRoy

RT and Metacritic are right most of the time and also agree with what @charliejade said. I will definitely see MoS on Friday and chances are that I will like it. A 6.5 out of 10 score isn't bad, it just means its not that great. And critical reception =/= Box Office.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I don't care about reviews, it's something to be seen for yourself :)

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its not a flop. Most reviewers are Donner wanker. You are just gonna have to see it yourself.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novi_homines: The earlier Superman Returns reviews were very positive. In fact, it has a 76% fresh rating in Rotten Tomatoes and an average score of 72 in Metacritic. Just putting that out there.

Anyway, I don't give a sh!t about these sites and I don't give a sh!t about most of these reviews anyway.

Mild_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mild_Karl

@lilben42: Not necessarily but his style definitely rubs people the wrong way. He's a visual director through & through, dialogue & performances are not his strong points. Some critics can't look past that, some critics are totally game for that despite the negatives Snyder brings as a director (I'm more of the latter).

To counter the positive review stuff, @smashbrawler is correct, Superman Returns was received well by critics but I thought it was a bore & most people agree that it was a creative disappointment.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baron2011:

I'm not saying it doesn't have great reviews. Not in the slightest. I'm just saying that i'm afraid people will deem this a a disappointment if averaged out scores show extremely low numbers.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I personally hate both of those sites.

Metacritic is from anyone. Rotten Tomatoes is with a bunch of people with their head too far up their ass with expectations to give any fun movie a fair chance. No thanks.

I enjoyed Iron Man 3 for what it was, even disregarding that twist everyone hates for some reason. I'm pretty sure I'll absolutely have fun, and love Man Of Steel. Hell, my friends will probably enjoy it too.

Why? Because we're not pricks like the "professional reviewers" at Rotten Tomatoes. That's why.

monarch2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By monarch2016

@novi_homines said:

@baron2011:

I'm not saying it doesn't have great reviews. Not in the slightest. I'm just saying that i'm afraid people will deem this a a disappointment if averaged out scores show extremely low numbers.

man of steel is gonna do great at box office just watch and see

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rotten tomatoes will kneel before zod

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Some of the "negative reviews" on Rotten Tomatoes, aren't even "negative reviews" The New York Daily news guy (I think that's the paper) did say "It has flaws it can't overcome." But if you read the whole review, he liked it. (Didn't love it..liked it) the Headline to the review is "Snyder's Superman Saves the Day." The numbers may be a bit down from expectations, but I don't see how 70% of folks liking a film qualifies as "Bad Reviews"

Avatar image for mynamewasdeleted
    MyNameWasDeleted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you already love it- without even seeing it - then it will take a huge failure on the part of the director, cast and crew to change your mind about it... should that happen (and only you will know if you like or hate it) then the DCfilm universe will surely shrivel up and die. There's a lot riding on this film and I hope it's great, but I'm not going opening weekend because I don't like crowds. Plus if it sucks I can save my ticket money (what's it gonna cost per ticket, 20-25 bucks? ..and for 3D? like $40 a ticket?? YIKES)

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I personally think it is gonna be great.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#35  Edited By Outside_85

From your figures (boiled down) 3/4 of everyone who's been in to see it has liked it. So it's not going to be another Green Lantern with the critics. And I sincerely doubt it's going to be a B. O. tanker, it's had massive exposure, it looks allright and people have been waiting quite a lot of years for a proper relaunch of the Superman movie brand. So a lot of people are going in to see it.

So is it going to flop?: No chance of that.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RustyRoy

Some of the "negative reviews" on Rotten Tomatoes, aren't even "negative reviews" The New York Daily news guy (I think that's the paper) did say "It has flaws it can't overcome." But if you read the whole review, he liked it. (Didn't love it..liked it) the Headline to the review is "Snyder's Superman Saves the Day." The numbers may be a bit down from expectations, but I don't see how 70% of folks liking a film qualifies as "Bad Reviews"

True.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

The fact that IM3 got such a (somewhat) high score should be proof not to trust the tomato meter all the time. It's a good guide to go by based on how "popular" a film is but says nothing necessarily about the "greatness" of one. For example, a masterpiece like Aronofsky's The Fountain had an overall rotten on there (nothing higher than 60%) from what I remember. But the ones who did like it (like myself) thought it was amazing. This is an example of the divisive nature of sometimes great films. Films like 2001 and Bladerunner. MoS being in a somewhat (though loosely) comparable genre means this could be the effect it is experiencing whereas a film like IM3 was more universal in its opinion, no one touts it as some great film. As another example, Iron Man 1 has a higher rating on RT than Tree of Life. Any person capable of understanding both movies would agree that ToL is in a class that far exceeds what IM is, yet you have a more mixed opinion. Hence you start to see the flaws in how a site like RT weights their film reviews.

At any rate, this just has me more excited for MoS, because its probably this same group of reviewers who thought IM3 was somehow the best IM yet. Any group like that deserves to be bet against. Translation: my hopes for MoS are even higher now, if that was possible.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

They already green-lit the sequel and the movie isn't even out yet! I seriously doubt that it's gonna flop (money-wise) and if it's on par with Iron Man 3 then I think most people will like it. I personally can't wait to see it!

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By novi_homines

Dropped from a 72% to a 70% On RT, and from a 6.3 to a 6.0 on Metacritic.

70% RT (54% for top critics), and 6.0 on metacritic.

WOW. Speechless right now.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the_stegman  Moderator

1. I don't listen to reviews, I watch the film and judge for myself

2. I DEFINITELY don't listen to Metacritic and Rotten Tomato reviews

3. I'm still excited to see the movie on Friday

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By Strider1992

If they are comparing it to IM:3 i'm worried. I thought that movie was awful :S

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

#42  Edited By FlashKnight

Metacritic and Rottentomatoes are horrible sites

This.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Dropped from a 72% to a 70% On RT, and from a 6.3 to a 6.0 on Metacritic. WOW. Speechless right now.

dude that means nothing

AmazingAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Metacritic is from anyone. Rotten Tomatoes is with a bunch of people with their head too far up their ass with expectations to give any fun movie a fair chance. No thanks.

I enjoyed Iron Man 3 for what it was, even disregarding that twist everyone hates for some reason. I'm pretty sure I'll absolutely have fun, and love Man Of Steel. Hell, my friends will probably enjoy it too.

Why? Because we're not pricks like the "professional reviewers" at Rotten Tomatoes. That's why.

Yep, this

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Superguy0009e
    @norrinboltagonprime21 said:

@sideburnguru said:

Yep, this

I wouldn't exactly say that they're pricks, it's just that they view movies in a different way than the average goer. For example:

When going to see Die Hard, no one is hopping to get a deep story with characters that make you question life, wrapped in a package of great cinematography. Die Hard movies (except the last one apparently) are there for fun. And maybe the issue with critics is that they not always able to let their guard down.

If we can go to the movie and just enjoy, I say that it did its job.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dropped from a 72% to a 70% On RT, and from a 6.3 to a 6.0 on Metacritic.

70% RT (54% for top critics), and 6.0 on metacritic.

WOW. Speechless right now.

Dude, most of the negative reviews are because they expected to see Christopher Reeve's Superman. That's not going to happen. I suggest you wait until you see it to jump to conclusions.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
    NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Everybody's a critic.

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By jointron33
    Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
    Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A other way to view things. On RT, "The Fog" is 86% fresh...average score 6.9. MOS is currently at 70%..average score 7.2. I think this means most the folks that liked MOS, didn't just "kind of like it." Most really liked it, and must have scored it an 8 or higher. Given that it's "Our kind of movie"..(otherwise, why are you even on CV?) I suspect most of us will like it a lot. Your friends? Maybe not so much.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.