Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Man of Steel: An Interpretation

Avatar image for mercinwithamouth
    MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MercinWithAMouth

I found this incredibly interesting. I loved the film before and I think after seeing this I believe this movie to be as the creator says, a masterpiece. Tell me what you guys think below.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By I_Am_Lightning

Wow. Talk about Superman worshipping...

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well...damn. Certainly more thought went into that than any Marvel film. I guess it's Marvel that needs to catch up. At least this and Dark Knight have messages.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Well...damn. Certainly more thought went into that than any Marvel film. I guess it's Marvel that needs to catch up. At least this and Dark Knight have messages.

I loved MoS and think there was a lot of symbolism within the movie..... but even I think this is going a tad far.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@saint_wildcard said:

@darthmummy said:

I loved MoS and think there was a lot of symbolism within the movie..... but even I think this is going a tad far.

For the purposes of the movie, I don't think it's too far at all. It's like the guy in the video said: I've been looking at it backwards. It's not an adaptation of Superman, it's an adaptation of Christ through Superman, a hero that reflects our values as a society. Maybe a bit much for a character that was conceived as an allegory of the Jewish immigrant experience, but Snyder at least deserves props for trying in a genre dominated by vapid spectacles like the Avengers. I think it's his best comic movie yet because it doesn't just panel-for-panel adapt pre-existing comics, and in Watchmen's case, failing to do it justice (which I think his him just overestimating the film medium, because Watchmen really needs the art style, level of detail and reader control provided by comics, as Alan Moore said).

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol the movie was average no matter how much time someone spent over-analyzing the movie

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus said:

lol the movie was average in my opinion

Obviously.

For the purposes of the movie, I don't think it's too far at all. It's like the guy in the video said: I've been looking at it backwards. It's not an adaptation of Superman, it's an adaptation of Christ through Superman, a hero that reflects our values as a society. Maybe a bit much for a character that was conceived as an allegory of the Jewish immigrant experience, but Snyder at least deserves props for trying in a genre dominated by vapid spectacles like the Avengers.

Goyer did say he read the bible and "whatever the Jewish equivalent of the bible" when prepping for this movie. And the sequel will be touching on subjects of religion and philosophy, because of what a being like Superman mean for them. The reason I say this goes to far is because there's a bunch of sex symbolism, which I don't think Goyer had in mind when writing. And yes, I agree with the part in bold.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@rpgesus said:

lol the movie was average no matter how much time someone spent over-analyzing the movie

It's not over-analysis, it's a different sort of analysis altogether. The movie is about archetypes, not characters. True, by traditional standards or to a comic fan, it might be a failure, but source material accuracy and standard Hollywood character development were never the goal.

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: it was called a masterpiece lol objectively it is faaaar from a masterpiece

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus said:

@saint_wildcard: it was called a masterpiece lol objectively it is faaaar from a masterpiece in my opinion

I know

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also believe this has been posted several times here.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I think this guy reads in to the move a lot more than even the guys that made it.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SaintWildcard

I think this guy reads in to the move a lot more than even the guys that made it.

Nah man, think about it Zod=douche, It's so obvious and it works for both meanings.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

MOS was far from a masterpiece. Its flaws out way the good.

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rpgesus: Are you editing your comments and removing the "in my opinion"?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MercinWithAMouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercinwithamouth:

Liked the thesis.

But. It's too deep. Too religious.

It's like making a storm in a glass of water.

Superman, creation had indeed a lot of mythical factors into it, but one cannot or should not, take it too far.

Yes, he enbodies a lot of things, but comparing him to Jesus or looking at all he is, like a big cosmic sexual moment, is taking things to far.

One of the worst things a fan of Superman can do, is deepen the already too deep, abyss that separates him from us.

Who has a kid, has not dreamt of being Superman, of wielding his powers, flying through the skies even to outerspace, to be able to do things we can't even imagine even when we try. Superman is a very powerful figure, an icon in his own right. But that's has far has I dare to take him. Because any further and I risk losing my grip with reality itself.

Superman is a lot of things to a lot of people. But most of all, he is himself. I always believed Superman should always embody the future. What we has readers, has normal men and women, should inspire to become. Superman should not embody the past, because one cannot move forward by looking at the past.

This is a simplification of how I see him. And already to some people it's too much to handle.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.