Looking to get into Superman

#1 Posted by UncleEmu (179 posts) - - Show Bio

I really like the Batman and Son era Batman, the first arc of Astonishing X-Men, Batman: The Long Halloween, Weapon X, and those kind of comics. I like stuff that's a bit gritty and dark. I've never read any Superman comics before, and was wondering which ones I would like and which ones I should start with. I've read all the classic Uncanny X-Men and stuff like that and love them, but I might love them just because of nostalgia.

#2 Posted by Lvenger (19976 posts) - - Show Bio
  • All Star Superman
  • Superman: Birthright
  • Superman for All Seasons
  • Superman: Man of Steel (I think it's called that. If not look for the John Bryne mini series)
  • The New 52 Action Comics (A great place for new readers to start reading Superman)
  • For Tomorrow (It's a darker Superman tale)
#3 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

And to follow that, Superman 13 of the new DC 52 onwards.

If you like them you might like Superman: Red Son.

There are some gritty stories for Superman, not all are good. Action Comics 775.

#4 Posted by Lvenger (19976 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: Oh nice suggestion. I've been meaning to hunt Action Comics 775 down. It's one of my all time favourite Superman stories.

@UncleEmu: Also Superman Secret Origin is another suggestion

#5 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: You can get 775 on comixology. Its a great read.

@UncleEmu: Try Superman Earth One as well.

#6 Posted by SmashBrawler (5736 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you should start with Superman: Earth One. If you liked it, Vol. 2 came out this week.

And if you liked those two, I recommend:

• The Man of Steel
  • Superman: For All Seasons
  • Superman: Birthright
  • Action Comics #775
  • Superman: Last Son
  • Superman and the Legion of Super Heroes
  • Superman: Brainiac
  • Superman and the Men of Steel (and the rest of The New 52's Action Comics)

And last but not least: For the Man Who Has Everything, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? and All Star Superman, which are stories you'll like more once you get a liking of Superman.

#7 Edited by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

You should read the new 52 series. Action comics has been awesome and superman got really good with issue 13

#8 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

The New 52 Action Comics is a good place to start. If you want to get into the main Superman title of the New 52, don't bother with anything prior to issue 13.

In 2013 there's a new Superman title being launched by Scott Snyder and Jim Lee. From everything that's been revealed about it so far, it sounds like it will definitely be to your liking.

Other than that, pretty much what everyone else has said here.

#9 Posted by TheCannon (18745 posts) - - Show Bio

@UncleEmu Skip EVERYTHING that takes place before the New 52. Trust me on this, you're wasting your time. Read anything and everything with Superman in the New 52, but skip over everything before.

#10 Edited by crestfallen (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@UncleEmu: I think Superman: Earth One it's a great book with a very cinematic approach to the origin of the character. Highly recommended.

#11 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@UncleEmu: All-star Superman is the best superman book but its not dark. superman isnt a dark character so you wont find very many gritty stories. But, the darkest one that i can think of is For Tommorow

superman:Secret Origin is a good take on superman's origin

in The new 52 Action Comics is a good series to read. if you want to read Superman start at issue 0 and then jump to issue 13 these are the ones written by scott lobdell every issue before those suck.Dont listen to @TheCannon: deep down he is a superman hater. some of superman's best stories were pre-flashpoint.

#12 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@UncleEmu: Superman Secret Origin by Johns/Frank is a great place to start

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.