Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, & Batman: Superman's Friends or Enemies?

• 118 results
    justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@scouterv said:
    @thekidfliessolo said:

Luthor and Superman will never be friends. They might have to put their differences aside from time to time, but Luthor will always see Superman as a threat and vice versa. Lois revealing Superman's identity is a punk move. Batman isn't really Batman.

Batman sees Superman as a threat, and everyone in the League openly acknowledges that Bruce is plotting how to take them down. I don't see how that's any different than Lex doing it, save for Luthor's personal history as a backstabber, but at the same time, Lex really just wants an ego boost and he gets that being a hero far more than a Villain. In the long run, I think it's something that can be a thing (friendship between Luthor and Kal,) but not something that needs to constantly be seen in medium.

@justice_teen said:
    @superguy1591 said:

@wowlock: Everyone doesn't hate him, it's easy to guess you haven't been reading Truth then. I'm not even sure it's 50-50. I think it's 75-25 the amount of people who still like him vs. the people who dislike him.

@kervan21: Actually, she didn't report about Clark because she fell in love with him in Man of Steel. Nothing to do with "feeling sorry for him." Trying to use Man of Steel as characterization for Lois Lane is a bad idea.

As far as the N52 is concerned, though we've been told that Clark and Lois are friends, we've never seen any interactions of their friendship. Lois Lane has no idea why Clark would need a SiD since they've rarely spent any time together in the N52. Why Lois released the story has yet to be released since that part of the story is coming in Superman 41 (the 24th) so you can step stop raging until then.

@lordraiden:My theory is that his "super-flare" powers damaged his cells to the point where his cells need to rebuild. The damaged cells make it hard to recognize his DNA, and that's why he can't enter the fortress (aside from trying to take away his access to the best computer on Earth). His powers are down because his damaged cells can't store as much power as he normally could.

As far as Lois, we'll just have to see why she did it in Superman 41. Yang inherited her as a character, so he's the one tasked with writing why she put it in a story.

@gustavoburciaga1 said:

Honestly it might be Wonder Woman's doing, considering she sees no need for Clark to wear a mask as she does she could have revealed his identity to the world. But I don't know.

No, Clark already told Diana why he needs his secret identity in Justice League and Diana agreed with why he need his secret ID. Plus, Clark helped her create her Diana Prince SiD and we've seen them go on dates in SM/WW in their SiD. She even said it's nice not being noticed.

I agree with what you said. People should keep in mind that these versions are the same as pre-52, they are younger and less seasons so of course they would do things that seem out of characters from the versions you know they need time to steadily develop for the new readers. Now I am not saying I agree with whats being done to most of them, but I do find it to be interesting and worthy of my reading.

Actually, they've been doing this for a number of years now. I don't think you can call them less-seasoned. In fact, they're arguably in their prime at this point.

With that said, I don't think we'll be getting pre-Flashpoint-type characters even in 10 years time for these characters. They'll still be different. I think that's a good thing.

About five years(10 comic book years) or so verse the decades the other version had to properly establish themselves.They only had one major event to deal with, and I think new readers would enjoy seeing a long journey to the heroes old readers new. Even if they never become the same ones we remember.

Avatar image for divine_disorder
    Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@scouterv said:

@divine_disorder: I suppose that depends on your definition of friend. And honestly, what has Bruce done to make himself trustworthy? Cause, I honestly think that from a realistic standpoint if Bruce can be friends with Kal, there's Really no reason, with time Lex can't also be friends with Kal.

I mean, Lex is a smart man. He can see the benefits of befriending Kal. I think if they could both sit down and talk things out they could create the foundation for a lasting friendship.

Just before Trinity War, Clark mentions the kryptonite ring he gave Bruce in case he ever goes rogue. Then Bruce does the same by giving Clark a means to stop him as well, should Batman ever go rogue himself. We don't actually get to see what's in that box, but whatever it was, it was enough to shock Superman. They literally put their lives in each other's hands. I mean, if that's not a sign of complete trust between those two, I don't know what is.

The only way Lex would ever 'befriend' Superman is if it benefits him and his ego. That's not a real friendship at all. It's kind of weird that you can see Superman becoming friends with Lex, and yet you don't think Bruce, his actual friend, is trustworthy.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@divine_disorder: I never said Bruce isn't trustworthy, I just don't see how Lex can't be trustworthy as well. Lex openly plots, doesn't hide his identity when he does, and we can't trust him, Bruce plots and only says something when it's discovered and hides his identity the whole time.

If you're gonna put your trust in one, may as well trust both.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veronicacris: Well I wouldn't be commenting if not for the article. Maybe the story is good and maybe not, but I'm not going to gamble on it. I tried that already, sticking with horrible storylines with out of character actions in the hope that they would go somewhere and all it got me was a stack of comics that I didn't like and a lot of bad feelings toward the characters and the creators. Comics are too expensive to gamble on a storyline anymore, especially with the writers having carte blanch and tossing any shock they can into the air to see what gets the most attention.

Agree with you. I gave lot of chances to superman writers on new 52, for now truth has been average on its best but nothing memorable to me

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beautifultemptress said:

@saintwildcard: I doubt it. She would not kissed of Batman, having a boyfriend. She did not stay with Superman, although he wanted.

All she has to do is utter the words "I recently broke up with Jonathan Carroll" and your theories are debunked. In the end, it's not the first time you've stated delusional theories so I'm not surprised you believe the theory your spouting of him being dead. This discussion is a lost cause

well that was just Pak trying to destroy Lois caractther... she can kiss batman but when superman show up she remembers her boyfriend that doesn't show up for more than a year

LeRizador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah ik that but i just dont see the connection between them

@scouterv said:
    @azza04 said:

@squalleon: tbh I wish they had just left Lois out of New 52 Superman's stories. They could have re-introduce her character back into the universe around the time they decide to end Superman-Wonder Woman. I haven't enjoyed her inclusion in any of the stories since new 52 started.

What would be the point of that? She'd immediatly be tagged as Superman's rebound girl by fans, DC would panic and hold off on putting them together, and she'd get lost in the shuffle for about 2.5 years, until they put her with Clark and make it on-and-off for the next 10-30 years, with a marriage somewhere down there, her death, and resurrection, followed by a legal struggle to have their marriage back-on, since it was over when she died, etc., etc.

@lerizador said:

Lois...smart, strong and caring...betrays Superman. Please, somebody justify this for me?

Superman is loving, caring, non judgemental, strong, and selfless. I want him to have a girlfriend/love interest who isnt the same as him. Wonderwoman iscaring and strong and fought for the title..but I just don't see any connection tbh. Relationships where there are people who are exactly the same are boring for viewers unless there is some conflict..but I have a feeling this wonderwoman/superman thing isnt gonna last. "Most powerful heroes in love"

also

Can somebody give me a list of comics and their issues that deal with his identity being revealed and him losing his powers and what happens after that? I read alot of them but they all appear to be before

While Superman and Wonder Woman are very similar, they also have their key differences. Like when Kal showed Diana his home and what he fought for. Comparitively speaking, he's softer and soft-spoken as opposed to Wonder Woman. It's summed up a bit in gifts they got each other. Superman got Wonder Woman a rose. Wonder Woman got Superman a sword. They have a different mentality, and while a lot of the main heroes have a lot in common, they all have key differences.

Also, not to burst your bubble, but people have been saying the relationship won't last since it started and that was a very long time ago.

@jayc1324 said:

Stuff like this is why I don't like James Gordon

Seriously?

All this going on with Superman and Lois Lane, and Gordon is the focus of your animosity?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
    deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lordraiden: @quinnofthestoneage: Before we get ahead of ourselves keep in mind that the conversation between Diana and Lois may take place in Superman/Wonder Woman which will also tie into the Truth story line.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well I do not read superman because I do not like Lois. I read Superman/Wonder Women because she is not in it.

Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@divine_disorder: I never said Bruce isn't trustworthy, I just don't see how Lex can't be trustworthy as well. Lex openly plots, doesn't hide his identity when he does, and we can't trust him, Bruce plots and only says something when it's discovered and hides his identity the whole time.

Um, you asked what Bruce has ever done to prove himself trustworthy. I assume that meant you didn't think he was. But aside from the fact he and Lex are both rich and smart, they have nothing else in common, especially in terms of moral codes and personal convictions. You know, the things that matter most. Bruce and Clark have more in common when it comes to those things, and that is why they trust each other enough to give the other the means to destroy them, knowing it's in good hands and won't be used unless absolutely necessary and only as a last resort. There's no way Superman and Lex would ever do that same gesture.

When Batman prepares for the worst, it's because he worries about the potential cost to innocent lives. When Lex plots, it's all for his own personal gain and to stoke his massive ego, and to hell with whoever gets in his way. There's just no comparison at all.

I'm not even gonna delve into why most superheroes have secret identities. We all know why. Lex doesn't have one because he's a narcissist who loves being recognized. You can't use a secret identity, or lack thereof, to gauge trustworthiness. I don't know about you, but I'd trust a masked hero more than an unmasked villain any day.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

Um, you asked what Bruce has ever done to prove himself trustworthy. I assume that meant you didn't think he was. But aside from the fact he and Lex are both rich and smart, they have nothing else in common, especially in terms of moral codes and personal convictions. You know, the things that matter most. Bruce and Clark have more in common when it comes to those things, and that is why they trust each other enough to give the other the means to destroy them, knowing it's in good hands and won't be used unless absolutely necessary and only as a last resort. There's no way Superman and Lex would ever do that same gesture.

When Batman prepares for the worst, it's because he worries about the potential cost to innocent lives. When Lex plots, it's all for his own personal gain and to stoke his massive ego, and to hell with whoever gets in his way. There's just no comparison at all.

I'm not even gonna delve into why most superheroes have secret identities. We all know why. Lex doesn't have one because he's a narcissist who loves being recognized. You can't use a secret identity, or lack thereof, to gauge trustworthiness. I don't know about you, but I'd trust a masked hero more than an unmasked villain any day.

No. I'm asking because I'm curious if Lex Luthor could do the same things Bruce has done. To be fair, a lot of things could stop both Bruce and Lex. Now, Kal may prefer Bruce to Lex, which is common. I have some friends I prefer over others, myself. However, that goes back to my first question. If Lex can do what Bruce can do, can you trust Lex as you trust Bruce?

So Lex Luthor has an ego. So does Tony Stark, and he's caused his own amount of trouble for the world, but he's still a trusted hero and pillar in the heroic community, and even leader of The Avengers. I'm not going to hold being human against Lex, same as I wouldn't against Bruce, who probably has an ego himself. Not as pronounced but everyone has one. And you call Lex a villain, and yes that has been his depiction for decades, but if I held up a picture to you, with no background information save for the names Batman and Lex Luthor, who would you trust? The man in the mask or the man without one?

Stellar421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Lois sure is one selfish beyotch. Selling out your friend for some press.

Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Divine_Disorder

@scouterv said:

No. I'm asking because I'm curious if Lex Luthor could do the same things Bruce has done. To be fair, a lot of things could stop both Bruce and Lex. Now, Kal may prefer Bruce to Lex, which is common. I have some friends I prefer over others, myself. However, that goes back to my first question. If Lex can do what Bruce can do, can you trust Lex as you trust Bruce?

So Lex Luthor has an ego. So does Tony Stark, and he's caused his own amount of trouble for the world, but he's still a trusted hero and pillar in the heroic community, and even leader of The Avengers. I'm not going to hold being human against Lex, same as I wouldn't against Bruce, who probably has an ego himself. Not as pronounced but everyone has one. And you call Lex a villain, and yes that has been his depiction for decades, but if I held up a picture to you, with no background information save for the names Batman and Lex Luthor, who would you trust? The man in the mask or the man without one?

I know a lot of things could stop both Bruce and Lex. But the point is the gesture itself, the act of faith between two people personally exchanging something that can destroy them, trusting each other with their very lives. And it's not a matter of what Lex can do. It's what he stands for.

No Caption Provided

With no background info whatsoever, I wouldn't readily trust either of them. But Clark knows them both, and we know what Clark knows. Bruce and Lex are nothing alike in the ways that matter most. That's why Clark trusts one and not the other.

No Caption Provided

SuperXAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

love how she acts so non-chalant and almost surprised that Superman's still ticked about the identity thing... and how she basically betrayed the crap out of him. "What? THIS AGAIN?! You're still mad about that?! C'mon Clark... be reasonable!"

The fact that he's even still taking to her is astounding (astoundingly stupid). Someone did that gross of a betrayal, I wouldn't exactly answer their calls, or worry about how them receiving death threats.

I'm glad I've stopped wasting money on this tripe.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By arthurkerr

They do pretty good at her character Lois has never been one to worry over others. She has always been out for the story and the story always comes first. It is in her blood she and Lex would make a great couple because she would sell her mother for a story.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@divine_disorder: I'm not sure I totally think those things that Superman talks about are bad. Yeah, Lex understands tangible value, and yes Lex is an egomaniac. However, as Superman said, he created jobs, he had foundations and charities, but he's not Bruce Wayne. That's a perfectly fine and truthful statement.

Still, regardless of the intentions, Lex Luthor is helping people. Maybe it's not out of the goodness of his heart, but is that really a problem when he's saving the world?

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@divine_disorder: I'm not sure I totally think those things that Superman talks about are bad. Yeah, Lex understands tangible value, and yes Lex is an egomaniac. However, as Superman said, he created jobs, he had foundations and charities, but he's not Bruce Wayne. That's a perfectly fine and truthful statement.

Still, regardless of the intentions, Lex Luthor is helping people. Maybe it's not out of the goodness of his heart, but is that really a problem when he's saving the world?

I like Lex the hero they need to stop taking evil lex from all the past things he has never done and putting them on good Lex. For each story should stand alone. Not all stories can exist in one universe that is insane. Keep each story separate and stop the insanity. Plus it makes no sense to do so.

Divine_Disorder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

It doesn't look like a problem if you don't know who Lex is and what he's truly capable of. But he'd just as easily shoot you as smile at you if it benefited him in some way. Remember what he did to Ted Kord's dad, what he threatened to do to the guy's family because he refused to sell his company to LexCorp? Lex may look like a hero on the surface, to people who don't know any better. But make no mistake, Lex Luthor can never be trusted. And because he can't be trusted, that's why I really don't see him and Superman ever becoming friends. In the main DCU, that is.

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#118  Edited By VickBat

Superman and lex friends? The best we can hope for is to compete among themselves, colleagues in arms, nothing more...although both are on the same side they do not have to be friends.

They were enemies in the past, those things can not be changed so dramatically..I like that there is tension between them as it should be.. And they criticize each other..

On the problem of Owlman.. will have to wait.. Not because Lex should again be villain(with a Joker Xa-Du that surprass) after Lena's surprise, newly converted and is already working with villain Darkseid .. Luthor would not surprise me to admit that she is almost as smart as Lex..He did not know what mercenary or terrify him the truth?

Xa Du as was you who gave the impulse not understand why this .. The truth would have negative consequences.. is Strange than Lois in their mental abilities give the Click and condemn those around them..

Even with the truth it seems that some want Superman to Lois.... well I not want to discuss but I still prefer wonderwoman..

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I think I speak of the Lex from Smallville the one that had the chance to be good and the story missed the mark as it did for so many good things. Just grazed it but missed it none the less awesome actor none will ever do better and he just made you like Lex.

All the rest I do not really care for Lex is a character that as a villain been there done that sort of thing will pass bring on the army and the worlds of Dark Seid and lets make war.

I mean lets get a true Superman Villain that will shake the planet to the core and wake up the potential in the world. Hero and villain united against a common threat that is world extinction. Not some simple battle that is here and done one that takes everybody like world war 2 and they had kids picking up cans in the street to further the war effort.

veronicacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vickbat said:

Superman and lex friends? The best we can hope for is to compete among themselves, colleagues in arms, nothing more...although both are on the same side they do not have to be friends.

They were enemies in the past, those things can not be changed so dramatically..I like that there is tension between them as it should be.. And they criticize each other..

On the problem of Owlman.. will have to wait.. Not because Lex should again be villain(with a Joker Xa-Du that surprass) after Lena's surprise, newly converted and is already working with villain Darkseid .. Luthor would not surprise me to admit that she is almost as smart as Lex..He did not know what mercenary or terrify him the truth?

Xa Du as was you who gave the impulse not understand why this .. The truth would have negative consequences.. is Strange than Lois in their mental abilities give the Click and condemn those around them..

Even with the truth it seems that some want Superman to Lois.... well I not want to discuss but I still prefer wonderwoman..

Well I know that writers are screwing with lois because of the romance with WW, so is normal still want Lois. It's a much better romance then "both have powers and matching costumes"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.