Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

lois and clark

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i was wondering and wanted to know your opinion... in all the superman and lois stories that i've read, the moment the two became a couple it would last till death do them apart. now i was wondering, would lois really stayed with clarck if wasn't half the time superman? as good as a person he is, let him still grow up in smallville, learn the same values and became a daily star reporter who seeks truth and justice - is that enough for a life long relationship with lois?

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By FlashDamn

maybe Lois is what you call a rollercoster of unpredictable stupid actions

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dernman

Last time before they got married and she didn't know Superman/Clark were the same person she turned down Superman because she said she was in love with Clark.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: ok, so he married to clarck and turned down superman. will their marriage till one or both of them will die?

i read the comic (forgot it name) where superman grow in russia and lois married lex... in that comic lois chose lex but still had feelings for superman. a different time for today and a different loved one were what made her loyal to lex. what does clarck have to keep lois loyal to him or at least chose him completely over superman?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dernman

@yotaman said:

@dernman: ok, so he married to clarck and turned down superman. will their marriage till one or both of them will die?

i read the comic (forgot it name) where superman grow in russia and lois married lex... in that comic lois chose lex but still had feelings for superman. a different time for today and a different loved one were what made her loyal to lex. what does clarck have to keep lois loyal to him or at least chose him completely over superman?

What does Superman have over Clark other then something superficial like powers?

Edit:

For one there is similar day life styles for one and an understanding one gets from that.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: you know what, in a world were clark is just clarck then he can cast off his dull act, become from a half character to a full one. this kind of clark might get lois to be only his but it will require a whole different set up. he will need to have the thrill and devotion... he will need to be bruce wayne, daily plant reporter - not the good looking, know how to talk to women bruce wayne, but the one we see in "batman begins", were he goes through any length to achieve his desire.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yotaman said:

@dernman: you know what, in a world were clark is just clarck then he can cast off his dull act, become from a half character to a full one. this kind of clark might get lois to be only his but it will require a whole different set up. he will need to have the thrill and devotion... he will need to be bruce wayne, daily plant reporter - not the good looking, know how to talk to women bruce wayne, but the one we see in "batman begins", were he goes through any length to achieve his desire.

I actually disagree. I think it was Clarks wholesome nature that is what broke down the barriers of Lois more cynical personality. She deals with charismatic, driven men like Bruce all the time. It doesn't really impress her. For all her making fun of Clark for his small town ways it's all those qualities that came from that reached her in a way guys like Bruce never could.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: so you are saying lois won't be tempted by superman to ever leave clark if they were two different people (same values but truly themselves and no secret identities to build their personality)?

p.s

just to be clear i much prefer the clark story in the superman comics. in the new 52 those are my favorite parts and the reason i don't follow the releases until i'm sure that there gonna be lois and clark moments.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yotaman said:

@dernman: so you are saying lois won't be tempted by superman to ever leave clark if they were two different people (same values but truly themselves and no secret identities to build their personality)?

p.s

just to be clear i much prefer the clark story in the superman comics. in the new 52 those are my favorite parts and the reason i don't follow the releases until i'm sure that there gonna be lois and clark moments.

There isn't a way to know that. You can't compare it to Luthor from because for all the good he did in the end up isn't a man like Clark and Superman is much different then his Red Son counterpart.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: i just meant that superman and clark as we know them are two half of one whole and a half will never be enough for lois. the reason she stayed with lex is because he was whole and could supply what she needed to be only his.

the clark that lois married and told to his alter ego that she loves someone else is a half, therefore, as i see it, not enough to the character of lois that i grew to know.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yotaman said:

@dernman: i just meant that superman and clark as we know them are two half of one whole and a half will never be enough for lois. the reason she stayed with lex is because he was whole and could supply what she needed to be only his.

the clark that lois married and told to his alter ego that she loves someone else is a half, therefore, as i see it, not enough to the character of lois that i grew to know.

But it was enough for her because she did choose him. As far as Lex goes it doesn't matter if he is whole because he is still the man that he is. The only reason they could have ended up together was because it was an alt reality of Lois. The real Lois would never go for a guy like him.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: from here on out we are just repeating our opinions in a different words.

i get what your saying, lois chose clark over superman without knowing they are the same man. and all i say about her long marriage with lex is that they were possible because lex had one of the things lois seeks in her man, to be whole. for the long run i say that her marriage to clark will not hold and you say otherwise but none can be prove (for all i know). farther more, to see which one of us is right i think that it will take more than one or two stories about the subject. it will need a really long and detailed follow up on lois's character.

now i wonder what others will think.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm like superman/wonder woman

Lois cant sex with superman..superman just kill her on the bed..

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he did it in smallville :P

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
    BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

"The love story of Lois Lane and Superman is immortal and inevitable."

BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can't kill her in the bed.Not even about fertilization.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Press Oblivion

No. That layed back, casual, Kansas boy would never have been enough for her ego.

Lois is a self serving individual during pre-n52 incarnation. She's a brash, street wise, hard nosed city woman who is only concerned for her career and feels that no one less than Superman is worthy of her affections. The ego was just too big to let anyone else in. She's tamed after the marriage because they have to show that concerned spouse angle every time he goes out on a mission proving a new burden now that she's the wife of Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Yes.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PowerWoman
    Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They say that opposites attract but I think that's generally for a fleeting time. I feel that Superman would be more interested someone that was more like him . . . oh . . . say Wonder Woman . .

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. That layed back, casual, Kansas boy would never have been enough for her ego.

Lois is a self serving individual during pre-n52 incarnation. She's a brash, street wise, hard nosed city woman who is only concerned for her career and feels that no one less than Superman is worthy of her affections. The ego was just too big to let anyone else in. She's tamed after the marriage because they have to show that concerned spouse angle every time he goes out on a mission proving a new burden now that she's the wife of Superman.

That's pretty much why I never liked Lois. She was a b*tch. Still kinda is.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_: agree.she has too many man,in the silver age comics, imaginary story, she married countless men

BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

In Superman # 14 Clark is jealous of Lois to her boyfriend.In Superman # 19 shows, about anyone Clark thinks most of all.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This. And it was ok in the past, because the question for me had always been, WHO is real? Clark or Superman? Obviously, the answer had always been Superman, Clark, is in all things, an attempt to hide who he really is. This is why it is his secret identity, because it is a nigh perfect cover. So, if she loved Superman, but looked down on Clark, so what? Clark is a costume.

But now, I feel ive seen what Clark can be, ive seen him portrayed as a great character in his own right. Ive seen Clark portrayed as the real "Kal-El" on a couple of occasions. And while to me, Superman will always be Superman and Clark is just a mask, im no longer fine with "Clark" being spare luggage to Lois, something that just comes with the "Superman Package."

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@press_oblivion said:

This. And it was ok in the past, because the question for me had always been, WHO is real? Clark or Superman? Obviously, the answer had always been Superman, Clark, is in all things, an attempt to hide who he really is. This is why it is his secret identity, because it is a nigh perfect cover. So, if she loved Superman, but looked down on Clark, so what? Clark is a costume.

But now, I feel ive seen what Clark can be, ive seen him portrayed as a great character in his own right. Ive seen Clark portrayed as the real "Kal-El" on a couple of occasions. And while to me, Superman will always be Superman and Clark is just a mask, im no longer fine with "Clark" being spare luggage to Lois, something that just comes with the "Superman Package."

This on so many levels. Any time she "fell" for Clark she fell for a lie. In more than one comic he had to practice being the Clark Kent people know and love, that's not who he is, if it was his mom wouldn't have to coach him and tell him to slouch over more, and always wear baggy awkward clothes. I think it was in birthright where he gave Perry an intense speech on why he should be hired there, then to finish it off, he faked being nervous again and knocked a pen holder off the desk.

Some people seem upset that Lois doesn't appreciate Clark for who he actually is and only likes Superman but that's just him lying anyway so it's not that offensive.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: superman is the man with the abilities to do above other men. who is superman in a world where everyone have his powers or a world where he have none?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deaditegonzo

@yotaman said:

@deaditegonzo: superman is the man with the abilities to do above other men. who is superman in a world where everyone have his powers or a world where he have none?

He is still a man of ideals and principles. An icon of hope. He is somebody who could defeat an entire planet of his equals through sheer will, if that was necessary to save even one life. If he was a normal man, he would still use whatever resources he had at hand, his investigative skills, the little money in his pocket, and whatever else he had to save lives.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: i would have agreed with you if not for all the stories where superman "awake" - from any number of reasons - to a life in krypton... and when he find himself in a pinch in those stories he first fail as the "normal" kal el and succeed by becoming the man with super powers. "superman" is an idea (i kinda in a lose of words here since english is not my native tongue) of something better that started as a comic book character. today it became solely an idea that presented best by the character superman - writers and fans fault.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By w0nd

@yotaman: It's funny when the kryptonians all arrived on earth and had his powers, he was better than them and they were his equals, when he goes to kandor or krypton and is a normal man he is terrible.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: well, he had more experience than them so it's agreeable. and in kandor he was just too arrogant.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deaditegonzo

@yotaman: Have you read "For the Man Who Has Everything?" Id recommend it.

yotaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: i haven't read that comic, but isn't there (not that i'm comparing) a justice league episode about it? just so i would know if it word the read, it ends the same?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yotaman said:

@deaditegonzo: i haven't read that comic, but isn't there (not that i'm comparing) a justice league episode about it? just so i would know if it word the read, it ends the same?

Kinda. It is a great episode.

kar424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: I disagree. when Lois fell for Clark Kent it wasn't a lie she fell for the real person. Clark isn't just a mask or a disguise for superman, Superman is a disguise for Clark. Superman is what he can do, Clark is who he is. Superman isn't real. he is just a illusion created by Clark so that he can use his powers for good, but still live a normal life. when asking the big question who is real? Clark or Superman the answer is obviously Clark. Clark is the one who was raised by the Kents not Superman. He is the one that spent the first 25 years(give or take) of his life being taught good morals and just living, wishing he could help but not knowing how, being confused by the powers he possessed and not knowing what was happening to him, why he wasn't normal. Clark made the superman "costume" so that he could help those in danger, but still keep who he was. Superman doesn't really exist. His powers do but that's it. Superman doesn't have a favorite color, an apartment, a drivers licensees, a favorite take out restaurant or a best friend Clark does. there is nothing real about Superman and that is the point. There is nothing to superman, he is shallow and nonexistent with out Clark Kent. That is why there is only one superman. (besides for the obvious reason of that he was the only living kriptonian for a long time) Anyone could have his powers but Clark is the only superman. He is the one that makes superman the man he is. with out Clark superman would have no morals, no feelings, no everyday life experiences. He would just be a robot. With out Clark Superman would be nothing we know and love about superman. But no matter how you look at it, weather you believe that Clark Kent is the real person or Superman, they are a part of each other. you can't have superman with out Clark and you cant have Clark with out his powers and the erg to go out and help the world. For Lois to not appreciate Clark for who he really is, is the same as not appreciating superman fully. Yes Clark lied but only about where he mysteriously disappears to never about who he truly is.Because he is Clark Kent and always will be.

kar424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes I would like to belive that should would have. Originally Lois falls in love with superman, but there is a point where she admits that one of the major reasons she fell for superman was because he was "safe". Her heart couldn't be broken by someone she knew deep down she never had a chance with. Once she had admitted that she fell in love with Clark. Just regular Clark Kent mild manner reporter not Clark Kent who also moonlighted in tights. They were together before she knew he was superman and like you said they lasted till death do them apart. Clark is still the same man she fell in love with and was bet friends with. sure the extra flair and excitement of having a husband that could fly really helped Lois's fierce personality and sense of adventure but she already gets enough of said "rush of adventure" from work, so its not necessary in her relationship. sorry i kind of digressed from my point, but yes i think that Lois and Clark would last even if he wasn't superman. in all honesty it might have just brought them closer faster with out all those interruptions caused by superman being called!! Aren't they soul mates anyways? ;)

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By w0nd

@kar424 said:

@w0nd: I disagree. when Lois fell for Clark Kent it wasn't a lie she fell for the real person. Clark isn't just a mask or a disguise for superman, Superman is a disguise for Clark. Superman is what he can do, Clark is who he is. Superman isn't real. he is just a illusion created by Clark so that he can use his powers for good, but still live a normal life. when asking the big question who is real? Clark or Superman the answer is obviously Clark. Clark is the one who was raised by the Kents not Superman. He is the one that spent the first 25 years(give or take) of his life being taught good morals and just living, wishing he could help but not knowing how, being confused by the powers he possessed and not knowing what was happening to him, why he wasn't normal. Clark made the superman "costume" so that he could help those in danger, but still keep who he was. Superman doesn't really exist. His powers do but that's it. Superman doesn't have a favorite color, an apartment, a drivers licensees, a favorite take out restaurant or a best friend Clark does. there is nothing real about Superman and that is the point. There is nothing to superman, he is shallow and nonexistent with out Clark Kent. That is why there is only one superman. (besides for the obvious reason of that he was the only living kriptonian for a long time) Anyone could have his powers but Clark is the only superman. He is the one that makes superman the man he is. with out Clark superman would have no morals, no feelings, no everyday life experiences. He would just be a robot. With out Clark Superman would be nothing we know and love about superman. But no matter how you look at it, weather you believe that Clark Kent is the real person or Superman, they are a part of each other. you can't have superman with out Clark and you cant have Clark with out his powers and the erg to go out and help the world. For Lois to not appreciate Clark for who he really is, is the same as not appreciating superman fully. Yes Clark lied but only about where he mysteriously disappears to never about who he truly is.Because he is Clark Kent and always will be.

he had to "practice" being Clark, he had to practice fumbling bumbling, slouching, his manner of speech, if that's who you are that should come naturally. His morals and kindness were still there obviously, but everything else down to the way he acted was something his mother told him to work on in more than one comic. different things happen in different stories mind you, so what im saying only applies to some.

kar424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: yes I do realize that different things happen in the different comics so i understand where you are coming from but i still feel like Clark is the real one and superman is fake. I also get your point about the slouching and fumbling he has to practice I had forgotten about that. I feel like that wouldn't effect who he is though, do you know what I'm saying? For example if i pretended to trip over a desk or knock over a cup of pencils it doesn't make me a different person. Same as it doesn't make Clark no longer Clark, if that makes any sense. and in all honesty I feel that Clark has more character than Superman anyways(not that that really has anything to do with anything)

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerwoman: We are dealing with a fictional world. So the whole Superman can't have sex with a normal woman doesn't hold up. The writer can maker it so that they can.

@sandman_ The same can be said about in Wonder Woman, specially in Justice League.

Kazuma_Bushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Kazuma_Bushi

Nope. Lois is pretty shallow. If Clark Kent and Superman were two different individuals she'd go after Superman, not Clark. I can't understand why we have to put up with her. I like the Superman X Wonder Woman dynamic the best, but even Lana Lang is better than her. I wish they'd romantically bring her back into the fold instead of Lois.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kazuma_bushi: Some of that is just poor writing or the writer trying to make her look bad. These are fictional characters after all so their personalities are subject to the writer's whim.

KaraZorL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KaraZorL

@powerwoman said:

@press_oblivion: woman of steel and man of steel,best couple

Exactly. Superman and Superwoman best couple in comics.

No Caption Provided

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@kazuma_bushi: This. It would be better if Lois wasn't annoying as f*ck, but goddamn is it hard to root for that lady.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kidstandout

@darkman61288: you mean like the majority of her character for the first few decades where she threw herself off buildings for supes? dc should of gave other women a chance at kal along time ago but they didn't have the balls then so they retconned lois and guess what? she's still the same arrogant little damsel who always ends up finding a way to be a liability.

kar424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im a huge comic fan but i have to betray them and say that I really like the lois from the old TV series lois and clark the new adventure of superman the best, because the writers for that changed her from just being a b*tch to her being a head strong independent woman.

they also made her realize sooner that she had feelings for Clark so she isn't always throwing herself at superman, which is a nice welcomed change.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kar424:

i felt that was only time i could tolerate the character, but it only made the need to try other options that much more apparent for superman in the comics. the lois from that show and the one from the comics were two different people. if you have to change a character so much to make the dynamic work, maybe you should try other options

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By darkman61288
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

kar424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kar424

@kidstandout: I guess so. I dont know, I root for them though. It's just one of those things I've always done.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.