Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18936 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Lobdel On Leaving SUperman More "Doomed" Info

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Lot's of info here

Nrama: Then to finish up, is there anything you want to say to fans about the announcement that you're leaving Superman?

Lobdell: First and foremost, I want to thank my partner in crime, Kenneth Rocafort! Is he amazing, or what? And a great guy.

Secondly, I have to say... if I'm going to be leaving Superman to make way for a new creative team, I'm glad and kind of honored that it's going to be two of the biggest guns in industry! Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr.?! As a fan I can't be any more excited than I am to pick up a copy of Superman #32.

LOBDELL on Leaving SUPERMAN, DOOMED & Making It 'Like DEATH OF SUPERMAN' | Newsarama.com

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder what he means when he says Lois is "transforming"

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By TheFirstLantern

so in may. cool i can dig it. hopefully they are good things

i can't wait for this. I need to pick up action. is the current arc done?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefirstlantern: a lot of big things happening in May, this and the new top secret Spider-Man book

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

bump

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By TheFirstLantern

@jonny_anonymous: i haven't even heard of a rumored top secret spider man book. it should be miguel!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jonny_anonymous: OMG she transform to doomsday lol i joke anyway Scott Lobbell pitch about krypto help save the 5th dimension and Jor-El's discovery of the Phantom Zone sound cool.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By kidchipotle

Whatever it is, it's going to be BAD.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SanoHibiki

I say that anyone who is expecting a cover band version of the Death Of Superman is going to be sorely disappointed. That story was told nearly 20 years ago. There is zero interest on anyone's part to do a New 52-version of it.

So, looks like it not going to be direct New-52 DOS retelling. Hmm… Perhaps more like SM/DD Hunter/Prey storyline. No matter, really, still looking forward to it.

Dr. Veritas warned Superman that Lois Lane was transforming "into what? I can't say." We're about to see for ourselves what she was referring to.

I thought that Lois was transforming into this psionic astral projection – which were dealt with just in the last Superman issue.

I just saw the penciled cover for Superman #30 — it's all kinds of brrrr!

Cthulhu or something like that?

I am pitching a series that tells the untold tale of Jor-El's discovery of the Phantom Zone and how it led to the adventure which prompted Lara to propose to him. And I'm also pitching a series where Mr. Mxyzptlk's kingdom in the 5th dimension is overrun and the only way to protect his daughter is to summon the one creature in the universe that he can depend on to protect her from his myriad of enemies... Krypto!

As always, Scott has fun sounding ideas, but their execution lefts something to be desired.

it's going to be two of the biggest guns in industry! Geoff Johns and John Romita Jr.?!

Geoff Johns being one of the biggest guns in industry I kinda can understand, but since when Romita Jr. also counts as one?!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I am pitching a series that tells the untold tale of Jor-El's discovery of the Phantom Zone and how it led to the adventure which prompted Lara to propose to him. And I'm also pitching a series where Mr. Mxyzptlk's kingdom in the 5th dimension is overrun and the only way to protect his daughter is to summon the one creature in the universe that he can depend on to protect her from his myriad of enemies... Krypto!

Geoff Johns being one of the biggest guns in industry I kinda can understand, but since when Romita Jr. also counts as one?!

D@mmit that sounds interesting...

Romita was always a big gun, he was a fan favorite artist for almost 30 years. His decline started recently(5-6 years)

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

D@mmit that sounds interesting...

Romita was always a big gun, he was a fan favorite artist for almost 30 years. His decline started recently(5-6 years)

Krypto always deserves some love. Admit I lost his trail in New-52 – Clark brings him out of Phantom Zone, then appearance in Superboy title, and then nothing.

Even overlooking this recent drop of quality of his art, after news that he would Superman’s artist I looked through examples of Romita Jr.’ early work. Some of them are solid, no doubt, but I don’t see anything extraordinary enough to warrant him being fan favorite or called “one of biggest guns”.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: I think that Jor El idea sound really great but if Lobdel is writing it I bet it would be dull.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By SaintWildcard

As always, Scott has fun sounding ideas, but their execution lefts something to be desired.

I like the Jor-El Idea, the 5th dimension one sounds iffy but it could work in Adventures of Superman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Squalleon

@sanohibiki: When you are relevant for 30 years,you become a legend. His Spiderman is Iconic, he worked with Frank Miller in one of the most famous stories of Daredevil, even recently he and Mark Millar published Kick-ass which is another successful comic.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By 2cool4fun

@jonny_anonymous said:

I think that will be dealt with in her own issue, and I think it has something to do with that god awful psi war arc. If memory serve me, she had powers for some time?

Anyway, all I can say is Lobdel please forget any plans you have for DC unless they have something to do with read hood. And just take your ass somewhere else. Idk go back to X-men since people seem to like your run on them...

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: I think that Jor El idea sound really great but if Lobdel is writing it I bet it would be dull.

That’s Lobdell for you – great-sounding ideas and their not-so great implementation.

I think that this “5th dimension story idea” sounds like it belongs into early AC, in Morrison’s run. His “Krypto Returns” issue and then business with landlord from 5th dimension – thematically they seems compatible with this story IMO. But I also like your idea – such plot wouldn’t be out of place in AOS, since it already “out-of-continuity” title.

@sanohibiki: When you are relevant for 30 years,you become a legend. His Spiderman is Iconic, he worked with Frank Miller in one of the most famous stories of Daredevil, even recently he and Mark Millar published Kick-ass which is another successful comic.

So, basically, he is a legend because of long service and because he was lucky enough to be put on successful titles. Anyway, I probably just nit-peaking. I’ll give him a benefit of doubt (through I wish DC editors left Rocafort to work on Superman). We’ll see how it goes this summer.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man...I wish Kenneth would stay...

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

I think that will be dealt with in her own issue, and I think it has something to do with that god awful psi war arc. If memory serve me, she had powers for some time?

I kinda thought that that her powers were sucked by parasite in Superman #27.

No Caption Provided

Of course, maybe they weren’t (at least not fully), but this paragraph

A few issues ago, Dr. Veritas warned Superman that Lois Lane was transforming "into what? I can't say." We're about to see for ourselves what she was referring to — and it is startling. (I just saw the penciled cover for Superman #30 — it's all kinds of brrrr!)

makes it sound like some physical transformation/deformity rather than just giving her a psionic abilities.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: I don't think all Adventures of Superman stories are out of continuity

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: Well idk, guess will have to see, I'm pretty sure it will be done in her one shot.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki: I don't think all Adventures of Superman stories are out of continuity

I don’t really know, AOS is hit-or-miss title for me. Sometimes I picking issue or two; all stories I read so far were out-of continuity.

@sanohibiki: Well idk, guess will have to see, I'm pretty sure it will be done in her one shot.

I pretty sure it will be done in Superman title : )

That’s Lois transformation is Lobdell’s idea (or at least that how I understood this interview) which he will execute in remaining issues of his Superman run. Lois one-shot is written by Marguerite Bennett and not so closely tied to current Super’s books.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@sanohibiki: I think the Peter Milligan arc is in-con since Supes is using his current costume and also I think the current Max Landis "the first time Joker met Superman" story is in-con but I haven't read it yet.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous:

I think the Peter Milligan arc is in-con since Supes is using his current costume

Guess I now know which comics I going to buy next. Thanks for information!

I think the current Max Landis "the first time Joker met Superman" story is in-con but I haven't read it yet.

Well, Supes was in his classic, Pre-52 costume, so non-canon, I guess…

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

LOBDELL IS FINALLY OFF SUPERMAN! PRAISE THE COMIC GODS!

(ahem) Anyway I'm not pleased that Lois is going to transform again. Wasn't Lobdell done with having her go through unnecessary and pointless changes to Lois already? Also, is Superman Doomed an inter title crossover or a single event? I'm not certain what these writers are implying the series to be thus far. Still, Lobdell is right in saying that Pak, Soule and himself aren't looking for a New 52 retelling of Death of Superman. The only problem then is what they can do instead with Doomsday that'll leave a mark as long lasting as the original storyline.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm just glad I can start reading 'Superman' again in a couple months.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lvenger:

He'll be back!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

He'll be back!

Loading Video...

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lvenger: You silly nerds and dislike of writers with no talent!

Loading Video...

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still sad Superman isn't gonna be in JL. Hopefully there'll be a good explanation.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: same i thought parasite would of end that i guess there is some sort plan with her with power

Red_Vibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Lobdell gets on another title. I didn't read his Superman run, but he can write a good story. Just read Red Hood and the Outlaws.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Lobdell's run on Superman wasn't the best but it had some pretty enjoyable moments and for the battle forums dudes, it gave some pretty great character feats as well!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: True, silly me. If only some writer who didn't know the first thing about, say Wolverine, would take over the character and remove almost every aspect and power that made him who he was then placed him in an absurdly gimmicky scenario. If only :P

@deranged_midget: I will grant that most of the best Superman feats in the New 52 come from Lobdell and I'm probably going to end up replying on them if I should ever debate for New 52 Superman. But that's all I'm giving him :P

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

@lvenger said:

I will grant that most of the best Superman feats in the New 52 come from Lobdell and I'm probably going to end up replying on them if I should ever debate for New 52 Superman. But that's all I'm giving him :P

Hah, fair enough! :)

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By TDK_1997

First,I am glad that Lobdell is finally off the book and I will be returning to this book sooner than I though.And second,the Death of Superman crossover/event is looking way better than I thought it would actually be but it still has some flaws like Lobdell being part of it,the whole thing being just a retold story from the past and third that it seems like Soule will be fanwanking some characters even more.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Do you think Lobdel for JRJR is a fair swap?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@lvenger said:

I will grant that most of the best Superman feats in the New 52 come from Lobdell and I'm probably going to end up replying on them if I should ever debate for New 52 Superman. But that's all I'm giving him :P

Hah, fair enough! :)

Yes. Lobdell was great for feats pretty much all of his feats came from lobdell.....i hope johns gives him some good ones

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Do you think Lobdel for JRJR is a fair swap?

I prefer writing to art so yeah I'd say this is a fair swap. At least Superman now has a chance of being fairly written even if the art for the story doesn't look so good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.