Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Lex Luthor and Ayn Rand/Atlas Shrugged

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I feel it would be interesting if writers portrayed Lex Luthor has a Objectivist. Someone who follows Ayn Rand Philosophy. Or kinda like Andrew Ryan from Bioshock in a way,someone who doesn't like superman because superman preaches altruism to mankind. Lex Luthor thinking himself has the savior of mankind is kinda seeing himself has John Galt of Atlas Shrugged. Leading mankind into a Utopia of pure individualism. If Joker and Batman conflict is Order vs Chaos or Anarchy, Lex Luthor and Superman's philosophical battle is Individualism and Altrurism.

Superman's other villains we discussed in my philosophy class, Brainiac being the epitome of Nihilism and Cynicism, he is almost a villain from one of the pages of HP Lovecraft novels in away. What do you guys think on my philosophical analysis on superman's well known foes?

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@drudox19: potentially too deep for the majority of CV... That's what I think.

J/k...

Actually you raise an interesting point in terms of the philosophical contention, as you said the Batman/Joker conflict is predicated on order vs chaos at a fundamental level.

Personally I've never given it too much thought with Superman and his rogues beyond that Lex stands for man being the superior being, and a jealousy of the "super man", anon human who is actually a better "man" than any if our species, not just physically but also emotionally and mentally. In terms of philosophical viewpoints between the characters it hadn't really occurred to me, nor am I educated to comment as you have - majority if the references you made I admit have gone straight over my head. I'd be interested to see what others can contribute though.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lex Luthor is a concerned citizen trying to eliminate an alien threat to earth seems pretty altruistic to me or is he do that all to protect himself. If superman was real thats exactly what he would be a threat he should be killed not even expelled he is too powerful

Lex Luthor 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DRUDOX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DRUDOX19

Thanks guys :) I like the responses from you, I feel Lex Luthor in a way the conflict of him and Superman is that conflict I mentioned above. I mean they both in some way want to make the world for mankind a better place, but Lex sees it differently then Clark does and I get where he is coming from. I think it would be cool to see Lex has Clarks best friend ( Not the Smallville way in a sense) who at childhood made a promise that they would change the world together. I feel it can create a great conflict when Lex descends into darkness ( Kinda like Big Boss from MGS lol) and it can become Clark's biggest tragedy. With all the power superman has he couldn't save his best friend, yes writers have done this but they never gone deeper in my opinion anyway. Showing that Lex doesn't hate Clark because oh there "destined" to be great men ( That's writers trying too hard to make Lex joker at that point) but because there world view in changing mankind and guiding them are different, Lex thinks Clark cant see the bigger picture.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I had always thought this is what Lex was. Especially now when he's trying to reinvent himself as a Randian Hero.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Squalleon

The problem is Lex doesn't try to "teach" anything. He doesn't care about humanity in any way.

The only reason he hates Superman is because Superman has the position in the world, Lex wants, he lies to himself about his motives but in reality he is just petty.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jogga

Lex is petty, he's just a bad person doing bad things in the end.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The problem is Lex doesn't try to "teach" anything. He doesn't care about humanity in any way.

The only reason he hates Superman is because Superman has the position in the world, Lex wants, he lies to himself about his motives but in reality he is just petty.

This

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.