Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

lets hope that superman's second year in the New 52 is good

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eternal19

I was very dissapointed with the first year of the New 52 for superman for the same reasons that a lot of other superman fans were disappointed. Lets hope that the union of Lobdell and Morrison bring Superman and Action comics back into the limelight in this second year of the DCnU.

grenade728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By grenade728

I think that Lobdell is going to step it up on Superman, but it all depends on who is replacing Grant Morrison. Oh and if the Scott Snyder and Jim Lee Man of Steel rumor is true Superman fans can all breathe a sigh of relief.

RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RScottH08

@grenade728: Agreed, I haven't been the biggest Lobdell fan in the past, but 0 was good so i'll give em a shot. As for the Snyder and Lee thing, it almost sounds to good to be true, but I hope it is.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ssejllenrad

@grenade728 said:

Oh and if the Scott Snyder and Jim Lee Man of Steel rumor is true Superman fans can all have a nerdgasm.

Fixed!

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mpierce2690

If Lee and Snyder do Man of Steel, the New 52 will be infinitely improved for it. They've finally got themselves a really great set of books for their main guys (Aquaman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern), Superman was seriously lacking with the hot potato going on with the Superman title and Morrison's boring Action Comics.

They'd do well to show a hell of a lot more Clark Kent in his second year, while making use of one of the best supporting casts (Lois, Jimmy, Perry, even Lex Luthor) in all of comics.

grenade728

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By grenade728

@ssejllenradsaid:

@grenade728 said:

Oh and if the Scott Snyder and Jim Lee Man of Steel rumor is true Superman fans can all have a nerdgasm.

Fixed!

That was the word I was looking for!

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By theTimeStreamer

not likely.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By Jekylhyde14

I'm still pretty devastated by the fact that Morrison is leaving Action Comics with issue #16. I like the Superman character he developed and don't want to see him fall to the wayside or back into Post-Crisis habits. I think Lobdell's run on Superman will be fun but it won't make up for the loss of Morrison. I'm pretty wary over the rumor that Andy Diggle is going to replace Grant on Action. Andy is a good writer but he's not known for writing or liking superhero comics. As for the Snyder/Lee rumor, I'll believe it when I see the teaser ads...

I'd describe my attitude for the next year of Superman as... cautious...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Lvenger

@Jekylhyde14 said:

I'm still pretty devastated by the fact that Morrison is leaving Action Comics with issue #16. I like the Superman character he developed and don't want to see him fall to the wayside or back into Post-Crisis habits. I think Lobdell's run on Superman will be fun but it won't make up for the loss of Morrison. I'm pretty wary over the rumor that Andy Diggle is going to replace Grant on Action. Andy is a good writer but he's not known for writing or liking superhero comics. As for the Snyder/Lee rumor, I'll believe it when I see the teaser ads...

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on Superman's second year. But I have speculated over whether other writers may replace Morrison on Action Comics. Paul Cornell and Joshua Hale Fialkov are at the top of my list.

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By cloudzackvincent

the superman book sucked (except #0) ..hoewever action comics was pretty good..too bad morrison is leaving

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Deranged Midget

Sadly, Morrison is leaving on Issue 16 of Action Comics and they have yet to announce his replacement.

Superman #0 was surprisingly good and I hope that Lobdell can continue dishing out consistently good stories.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sethysquare

@Eternal19 said:

I was very dissapointed with the first year of the New 52 for superman for the same reasons that a lot of other superman fans were disappointed. Lets hope that the union of Lobdell and Morrison bring Superman and Action comics back into the limelight in this second year of the DCnU.

Agreed. Although Morrison is going to leave, I'm glad Andy Diggle is going to take over and we would have a new Superman book by Jim Lee and Scott Snyder. Match made in heaven.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Deranged Midget

@sethysquare: Haven't seen any confirmation for Diggle replacing Morrison on Action Comics.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sethysquare

@Deranged Midget said:

@sethysquare: Haven't seen any confirmation for Diggle replacing Morrison on Action Comics.

Might as well have been.

Andy Diggle said he has 3 upcoming projects at DC (not vertigo) and who else is he replacing? He has a 5% chance of writing Action Comics.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/09/16/andy-diggle-not-talking-about-action-comics/

If we minus out writers that would definitely stay with the book, (Snyder on Batman, Johns on JL, JLA, GL, Manapul on Flash, Azzarello on WW, Failkov on I, Vampire, Lemiere on JLD, all those new creative teams) there isn't much books left that he can actually replace or take on.

My guess is he might possibly write a new book, take over either Aquaman or Green Arrow and Action Comics.

He has also said its a big project, so its unlikely going to be something like Frankenstein or Firestorm.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deranged Midget

@sethysquare: Indeed but it's only mere speculation and Johns is leaving Aquaman so it could be equally that or Action that he takes over. I personally prefer to wait until a proper confirmation is given.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By sethysquare

@Deranged Midget said:

@sethysquare: Indeed but it's only mere speculation and Johns is leaving Aquaman so it could be equally that or Action that he takes over. I personally prefer to wait until a proper confirmation is given.

Johns is leaving Aquaman. JLA is starting in January or February.

He already has 3 books on his plate, JL, GL and Aquaman.

He won't be leaving GL anytime soon since he just said, Third army is only a prelude to another story. He also probably wont be leaving JL. Since its Justice League and he kinda already promised a whole 2nd year of plotline for Justice League.

So its probably Aquaman that he is leaving. Unless DC wants him to write 4 books on top of being the chief creative officer for DC comics, write TV shows, consult on TV shows, movies and.....

Theres only so much one person can do. LOL. Besides, I know DC has a 3 books only policy for their writers. Unlike Marvel. I recall Bendis can write like 5 or 6 ongoings at one time.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Deranged Midget

@sethysquare: Johns has no intentions of leaving Green Lantern anytime soon, it's his baby and he's been on the title since 2004.

I'd rather he left Justice League to continue writing Aquaman.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sethysquare

@Deranged Midget: Considering how he is going to lead into the trinity war, I was hoping he could write both Justice League books. We havent had a proper event since Blackest Night and Flashpoint didnt really count.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Deranged Midget

@sethysquare: I personally think that Johns writing both JL titles might stretch him a little thin.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sethysquare

@Deranged Midget: Or it might create more connectivity between both books. I'm up for it.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deranged Midget

@sethysquare: That's a fair point indeed. I guess you could say that I'm just a little bummed out that both Johns and Reis are leaving Aquaman as it's been my favourite title of the New 52.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sethysquare

@Deranged Midget: Yeah me too. I loved Aquaman, but I trust that DC would put a killer creative team on Aquaman,.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deranged Midget

@sethysquare: I truly hope so.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Gambit1024

I've been avoiding the main title for a while now because of all the disappointed reviews from people, so when Lobdell finally took over, I gave it a shot. Forgive me if I seem ignorant.

So I read the Lobdell issues (the annual and the zero issue), and... I don't know. Feeling very neutral towards it. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I appreciate that he's trying to go cosmic (which is a direction I'd hoped for for a while now), but I'd like to get a further insight on what happened to his regular rogues gallery. Where's Lex, Bizarro, Brainiac (current day, not 5 years ago), Eradicator and all the others?

Also, I'm not sure if it was ever addressed, but did Superman ever die in this continuity? The whole Doomsday thing?

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Gambit1024 said:

So I read the Lobdell issues (the annual and the zero issue), and... I don't know. Feeling very neutral towards it. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I appreciate that he's trying to go cosmic (which is a direction I'd hoped for for a while now), but I'd like to get a further insight on what happened to his regular rogues gallery. Where's Lex, Bizarro, Brainiac (current day, not 5 years ago), Eradicator and all the others?

Well, Lex is coming back during the H'el on Earth crossover, and Lobdell has already expressed interest in bringing back classic Superman rogues (H'el himself is rumored to be the new Bizarro).

Also, I'm not sure if it was ever addressed, but did Superman ever die in this continuity? The whole Doomsday thing?

There was a reference in Swamp Thing 1, but I don't know if that's one of those references that's not canon anymore (like in Teen Titans) or if Doomsday had anything to do with it.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gambit1024

@SmashBrawler: I see. And what's the H'el crossover about anyway? I've only heard of it very recently (this morning, actually lol), but I've never bothered to do the research. As long as the old villains appear somewhere down the line, I'll be satisfied.

I originally assumed that it never happened, given Superman's almost entirely new personality in the JL title, but after re-reading Blackest Night, I just wanted to be sure. I feel like they haven't revealed nearly enough of Superman's history in the New 52 as some of the other characters (Hal, Barry, Bruce, Diana and Arthur especially). There's so much that hasn't been explored, imo, and I really hope that it's addressed soon.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Gambit1024: I'm not sure. There's some evil Kryptonian guy or something who attacks Earth, and Superman, Supergirl and Superboy fight him. That's all I know, but I haven't been paying attention to be honest.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Eternal19

@Gambit1024: H'el is pretty much a modernized version of Bizarro

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gambit1024

@Eternal19: But he's not the Bizarro, right?

Supes1903

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Supes1903

We don't really know if that's true or not, only speculation until we have books in hand. However, I hope it is true.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Eternal19

@Supes1903: He looks a lot like Bizarro he even has the backwards "S"

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Eternal19

@Gambit1024: Im not sure im just speculating based on the pictures that I've seen of him

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gambit1024

@Eternal19: Oh, there are pictures? Damn, I'm so far behind, lol.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Eternal19
    Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

Hope is all we can do. and I do not mean her.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Superman #0, so I hope that the story continues to be as good. I've never heard of Andy Diggle so I looked up some of his stuff and it seems to pretty consistently get good reviews, so let's hope he does a good job on Action Comics (if he even has the job).

@Jekylhyde14 said:

I didn't see any superhero comics under his belt, though

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#37  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@G_Money_Christmas:

He did a run on Marvel's Thunderbolts and the Daredevil Shadowland material. I liked his Thunderbolts but Shadowland tends to get heavily derided. I've heard rumors that he's been critical of the superhero genre in the past, but I can't confirm this. It just makes me nervous.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.