Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Let's talk about Superman

• 193 results
    SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#101  Edited By SOG7dc
    Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@sog7dc: I loved the art in issue 2 :/ but the cover was even better.

@sandman_: Agreed although Lobdell's run hasn't been bad it's just nothing special.

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

@powerherc said:

@sandman_: I loved his run and the first time I read it it confused me but the second time I read his entire run (in a specific order) and It made a lot of sense and I loved it.

@powerherc said:

@powerherc: Glad we agree :)

We do agree. On every single thing you wrote. :D

We pretty much agree on a lot of things. Except who's stronger between Thor and Hercules lol.

You had to bring that up, huh? :)

'Tis true we disagree, though.

Well of course lol. (Thor's stronger BTW)

For Suth.

Wrong twice.

Forsooth (not 'For Suth'), Hercules is stronger than Thor (Naturally).

GAHHH I'm not Asgardian been spending too much time with the Kryptionians.

It's debatable Thor has better strength feats though so I put him above.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642:

And how I'd the new 52 deposed him? I just started reading comics with the new 52 so I'm really curious

His durability has gone down a lot considering that in the past he had tanked what amounted to Solar System destroying events (two supernovae). But his strength seems to be greater, at least as far as solid feats, and his speed is clearly shown to be hundreds of times the speed of light on page. Also, there was a new focus on his mental powers again. He was depowered in the early Action Comics, but in Superman and later Action Comics issues, he is at least as powerful as he was pre-52.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: Maybe he just needs more feats in the new 52? And correct me If I'm wrong but it seems to me as though they are playing the angle of "he gets stronger with age" so maybe the further the new 52 goes the stronger supes gets?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: The longer the exposure to the yellow sun I think.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: Maybe we'll see him get not only more durable but more powerful

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By deaditegonzo

@sog7dc said:

@deaditegonzo: Maybe we'll see him get not only more durable but more powerful

Id like that, and honestly, I expect that to happen in Lobdell's book. I think Unchained is going to cover the other end of the spectrum.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: He's not as strong or as fast. he is also a lot less durable but he is at least 10-12 years younger so it's okay. He was extremely depowered at the beginning of Action though but has since gotten a lot more powerful.

@sandman_: I like it and it has it's moments. H'EL on Earth wasn't that great though. Batman/Superman is also amazing. Greg Pak will be taking over Action comics soon and I'm pretty sure that will be amazing also. not to mention Charles Soule and Tony Daniel on Superman/Wonder Woman. that's going to add up to 4 amazing Superman books with the 5 being a decent/good one(Superman).

@sog7dc: Superman used to be alot stronger more Durable and Faster than how he is in the New 52 but also take into account that he was older.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@sog7dc: I loved the art in issue 2 :/ but the cover was even better.

@sandman_: Agreed although Lobdell's run hasn't been bad it's just nothing special.

@powerherc said:

@powerherc said:

@sandman_: I loved his run and the first time I read it it confused me but the second time I read his entire run (in a specific order) and It made a lot of sense and I loved it.

@powerherc said:

@powerherc: Glad we agree :)

We do agree. On every single thing you wrote. :D

We pretty much agree on a lot of things. Except who's stronger between Thor and Hercules lol.

You had to bring that up, huh? :)

'Tis true we disagree, though.

Well of course lol. (Thor's stronger BTW)

For Suth.

Wrong twice.

Forsooth (not 'For Suth'), Hercules is stronger than Thor (Naturally).

GAHHH I'm not Asgardian been spending too much time with the Kryptionians.

It's debatable Thor has better strength feats though so I put him above.

I'm not Asgardian, either. Nay, the better strength feats are those of Hercules.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Can you give an example strengthwise where pre-52 Supes was stronger? I can think of 2 instances of him holding up infinite weight, but those two instances dont work to paint a cohesive picture. Basically, if he was that strong, he couldnt hide it.

Pre-52 is arguably as fast or faster, however, it was just rarely shown explicitly on page.

Durability-wise, he was definitely better before the new 52.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too be honest, I don't want Superman to be pushing planets or going back in time under his own power.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By SandMan_

@sog7dc: Then go read Silver Age Superman to compensate :P

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_: Can't. Hate the art. And I don't want him to be ridiculous like that but I do want superman to live up to the name. I like my superman powerful. I loved watching him spank spank darksied in "superman/batman" I loved him in all star and in for tomorrow. I just live an extremely powerful superman

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Well...I don't think we will see that powerful Superman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: He has pushed/pulled against chains and snapped them that tied him inside something the size of Jupiter and held a mini black hole in his hand. Pre-52 Superman has nearly gone at the speed of thought he is trillions of times faster than light.

@sandman_: Same here he wrote my favourite run on Hulk(who is my favourite Marvel character and my 2nd favourite superhero overall after Superman) and Hercules (one of my favourite Marvel characters). can't wait to see what he's going to do for Superman

@powerherc: bah Olympian Asgardian same thing. I SAY THEE NAY!!! The better feats go to the Son of Odin! lol. what do you think of the current Superman titles? if you read any of them that is.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By deaditegonzo

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Omg, where are all you kids getting this speed of thought nonsense I keep hearing. Im done explaining this one, go to your science teacher in school, as him/her to compare the speed of thought. It takes the Human brain a long time (compared to the speed of light) to form a coherent thought.

That aside youre referring to the Mageddon Warhead, which is an impressive feat but doesnt tell us anything specifically. He is turning that wheel, but nobody can say exactly how much strength that requires. And the mini-black hole feat is pretty impressive, but the main thing he was doing was trying to keep it from releasing into a full blackhole. That one though i'll say is a fair example, I cant say its more impressive than a drained Supes lifting the weight of the Earth for five days straight without even a drop of sweat, not to mention the scientist said she would need to tap into an interdimensional wormhole (a specialized type of black hole) to test his limits.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@sandman_: Can't. Hate the art. And I don't want him to be ridiculous like that but I do want superman to live up to the name. I like my superman powerful. I loved watching him spank spank darksied in "superman/batman" I loved him in all star and in for tomorrow. I just live an extremely powerful superman

Him beating Darkseid was the dumbest thing ever. Darkseid should be able to completely cripple Superman with a wave of his hand.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By SOG7dc

@deaditegonzo: True but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. And theoretically superman will eventually surpass darksied in terms of strength and power

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@powerherc: bah Olympian Asgardian same thing. I SAY THEE NAY!!! The better feats go to the Son of Odin! lol. what do you think of the current Superman titles? if you read any of them that is.

Poor misguided mortal.

I will say this; Superman is stronger than either Hercules and Thor. The Hulk, too.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_: Well it just my opinion. I respect yours :)

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@deaditegonzo: True but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. And theoretically superman will eventually surpass darksied in terms of strength and power

If I could, id take everything back to the silver age in terms of strengh/power, Darkseid included, so he never really even has to get his hands dirty, he just takes out Silver Age heroes with a glance.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By SOG7dc

@deaditegonzo: Yea I think I might enjoy that with modern age art. But flash should be faster than superman. Otherwise he's a pointless character. But I agree. I'd like to see a watered down silver age. I think darksied should never have to throw a punch. He should look at people and obliterate them imo

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@deaditegonzo: Yea I think I might enjoy that with modern age art. But flash should be faster than superman. Otherwise he's a pointless character. But I agree. I'd like to see a watered down silver age. I think darksied should never have to throw a punch. He should look at people and obliterate them imo

Agreed on all points.

Avatar image for lieutenant_awkward
    Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish Scott Lobdell would stop writing Superman, I don't think he does the character justice. The last issue of Action Comics where he fries those peoples iPads just didn't seem like something Superman would do.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lieutenant_awkward: I have a love hate with lobdells run. It's like in theory "H'el on earth" was great!....but he failed with the execution (though the issue with lex was awesome and his best so far) and the showdown with that giant blue galactus thing I had a big "WTH" look after I read that issue. Total let down! And with this Hector Hammond thing...again another great idea he is failing to capitalize on. It's sad to me because these could be great stories....but u loved the Orion vs supes fight In issue 20. So awesome. An I lived Wonderwomans line about drawing a line in the sand!

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just thought I'd throw this out there because I love talking about art...

In a perfect world Tess are the artists I'd pick:

Action Comics- Tony daniels

Superman- Ed Benes

Unchained- Brett booth

S/B- Ian Churchill

S/W-Kenneth rocafort

What do you guys think?

Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Superman 20 where he fights Orion was actually a good issue. But overall I just enjoyed other writers' work better. That first volume of New 52 Superman was actually what got me into comics in the first place.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lieutenant_awkward: Same here :) superman vol 1 in the new 52 was the first start to my comic collection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: In comics Speed of Thought is faster than the Speed of Light. don't apply real world physics/science to comic books.

Poor misguided mortal.

I will say this; Superman is stronger than either Hercules and Thor. The Hulk, too.

Misguided! why you little......I do agree Superman and Hulk are stronger. I'm suprised Marvel hasn't made a Hercules book yet. especially with the Marvel Now initiative it's a perfect time to do one. but Marvel has always preferred Thor over Hercules (and that's why Thor is stronger)

@sandman_: Agreed

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who else thinks dc should get rod of some of supermans weaknesses?

I think they should get rid of his red sun weakness and his magic vulnerability

Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: As much as I love Superman, I think those weaknesses are necessary to level the playing field. And besides, he has ways to get around that stuff, like when he fought the red sun beings by throwing all those canisters of water into the air and then freezing them.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lieutenant_awkward: I respectfully disagree and here's why:

Thor

Martiananhunter

Wonderwoman

Flash

Sentry

Mr majestic

Hyperion

Shazam

Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: I respectfully respect your opinion.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lieutenant_awkward: Lol and I respect your respect for my respect.....respectfully of course...just to be clear what u meant is that all of those other characters on supes level have no weakness

Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Isn't MM weak to fire though?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lieutenant_awkward: I think thy retcommed that. At least that's what I've heard in te battle forums

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lieutenant_awkward: MM psyches himself out into being weak against fire, its more of a mentally inflicted weakness than a physical one.

Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@lieutenant_awkward: kind of,its cuz of guilt somehow and its completely explained in JLA #4 (new 52)

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So...When is Maxima coming back?

Quocalimar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By Quocalimar

First the questions:

What do you think about him: He's an alien, he's OP, yet still manages to look like a wimp before a good plenty of his villains.

Why do you like him: That'd be assuming I did.

What would you like to see happen to him: I'd like to see him get a suit, something that can protect him from radiation, so he could always be the very best, no chance of anyone getting him with Kryptonite.

Now for my part about him:

I saw All Star Superman recently, and I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how he got super cancer, even though in different comic he became a God from sleeping in the sun.

And one other thing: Why do Supes fanboys always go with BFR as a means of winning a battle?

1. It shows how little imagination he has that he just has to throw his enemy into space.

2. He has never done something like that, so what gives you the impression that he might? I mean why not just go BFR on Doomsday, rather than body slamming him then going into a coma.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By SOG7dc

what is your favorite superman moment?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I agree that comics dont follow real physics, but could you give me an example that states the speed of thought is faster than the speed of light in comics? As I have seen examples that show the opposite. In Injustice and Red Son, Supes totally punks Green Lanterns, because their powers rely on the speed of thought, and he is faster than the speed of thought.

First the questions:

What do you think about him: He's an alien, he's OP, yet still manages to look like a wimp before a good plenty of his villains.

What would you like to see happen to him: I'd like to see him get a suit, something that can protect him from radiation, so he could always be the very best, no chance of anyone getting him with Kryptonite.

I saw All Star Superman recently, and I was wondering if anyone could explain to me how he got super cancer, even though in different comic he became a God from sleeping in the sun.

And one other thing: Why do Supes fanboys always go with BFR as a means of winning a battle?

1. It shows how little imagination he has that he just has to throw his enemy into space.

2. He has never done something like that, so what gives you the impression that he might? I mean why not just go BFR on Doomsday, rather than body slamming him then going into a coma.

He did BFR Doomsday... At the end of time where entropy destroys the universe. /Facepalm [Hunter/Prey]

Quocalimar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I agree that comics dont follow real physics, but could you give me an example that states the speed of thought is faster than the speed of light in comics? As I have seen examples that show the opposite. In Injustice and Red Son, Supes totally punks Green Lanterns, because their powers rely on the speed of thought, and he is faster than the speed of thought.

@quocalimar said:

First the questions:

He did BFR Doomsday... At the end of time where entropy destroys the universe. /Facepalm [Hunter/Prey]

I'm not a reader, of the comics, so I learned something today.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quocalimar: Sorry, I probably came off as a pompous a**.

He also BFR'd Darkseid at the Source Wall. And BFR'd Brainiac/Imperiex at the Big Bang. And BFR'd Mandrakk in the Abyss, temporarily, until the Multiverse collapsed (because of Darkseid).

Basically, you have to be a universal threat, and impossibly powerful to earn a BFR from Supes. Doomsday hasnt been that tier SINCE Hunter/Prey.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.