Kryptonian Vs Solar Radiation

#1 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

ok, so we know what happens when Kryptonians are under a Red (Class M) star... and we know what happens when they are under a Yellow (Class G) star...

you can figure out that under a Orange (Class K) Star he'd he half as strong as he is under a Yellow Star... that makes sense...

so, what wound happen if Superman was exposed to Solar Radiation from an even younger star?

here's the spectral classification for stars...

so, if a Superman gets stronger as he's around younger stars... how strong would be be under different types of star?

any thoughts?

M

#2 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Well my first thought is, "I want to see him under a blue (Class O star)" and my second is, "I wonder how this works into the Exploding Suns Chart?

#3 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah.. under extremely young sun radiation, would he become a God?

dunno about even more advanced sun's... i mean, what would a neutron star do to him? that's a few stages down the line after a red star...

M

#4 Posted by Sling Shot (3560 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Class G is probably considered mature or prime or possibly Class F is prime. Depending upon Supes's physiology a class F might make him drunk with power initially, or be too pure and make him O.D. of sorts. the younger stars might have a similar diminished effect as the older Class K's and so on. I think this because it is all stellar energy. But I am unaware if the energy type is different different stages if so the effect may be exotic with younger stars and his powerset may be different somehow.

#5 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#6 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

that makes sense...

was just a random thought that came to me... i mean, with Superman flying round the universe, he's bound to have come across a white dwarf star or something...

i wonder what effect they would have on his physiology

M

#7 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe he'd have new powers. Will the Kryptonians know this?

#8 Posted by Ultra-Patriot (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#9 Posted by Superboy-Prime 10000 (402 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman loses his powers under a red star(Class M).

Superman gain powers under a orangish/yellowish star from what I've recalled,(Class K,Class G).

Doesn't know about white star,but Superman can imbue any person it hits with Kryptonian-like abilities for a short time under a radiation of a blue star.(Action Comics #857 )(Class O,Class B,Class A)

#10 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

#11 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Winner!

#12 Posted by Unbelonger (2770 posts) - - Show Bio

Does this means that soemeone like Captain atom could also assist and improve superman power?

zzzzzzzzz

#13 Posted by Superkitty (1086 posts) - - Show Bio

According to the original Superman series issue #155, the bad guy of the story "Superman under the Green Sun" uses a blue filter on his yellow sun (blue + yellow = green), which causes Superman to lose his powers. I don't think this is canon or accurate.

What about things like supernovas, pulsars, and black holes?

#14 Posted by King Saturn (224186 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"ok, so we know what happens when Kryptonians are under a Red (Class M) star... and we know what happens when they are under a Yellow (Class G) star... you can figure out that under a Orange (Class K) Star he'd he half as strong as he is under a Yellow Star... that makes sense... so, what wound happen if Superman was exposed to Solar Radiation from an even younger star? here's the spectral classification for stars... so, if a Superman gets stronger as he's around younger stars... how strong would be be under different types of star? any thoughts? M"

I wonder if Superman would become an Omnipotent being under a class O or Class B Star ? That would be cool to see.

#15 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

I think by the time he gets to "O" and "B" hes gonna have a ridiculous amount of strength. He may just be like close to superman prime the original sun dipped on. Hes gonna have a hell of alot of powers as well. The question is what color will he be then??

#16 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

He'd be lifting about 800 tons. Since the yellow one is half of the orange one. Which is about 50. I'm rounding the numbers up this is him at his usual. So since the orange is half the yellow at 50 the yellow of course is 100. After the yellow everything should pretty much double up. With the next star being 200 then 400, then 600, finally ending with 800. If you don't round it up i guess it could be 830 tons.

#17 Posted by cpt_linger (2902 posts) - - Show Bio

i think under a white sun he would go to ultimate mode and just be un killable by and means at all!

#18 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't you mean blue?? The suns change his power level not emotions thats what kryptonite is for lol.

#19 Posted by Zenma (4970 posts) - - Show Bio

isn't superman's ability to absorb sun light radiation like that of a plant? because blue light doesn't do much to plants than yellow or yellow-orange light. so the best light for plants are actually yellow and superman takes in sun light similar to plants so is yellow light the best type of light for superman?

#20 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Zenma says:

"isn't superman's ability to absorb sun light radiation like that of a plant? because blue light doesn't do much to plants than yellow or yellow-orange light. so the best light for plants are actually yellow and superman takes in sun light similar to plants so is yellow light the best type of light for superman?"

No it depends on the age of the sun. Red runs are the dead ones so i guess they wouldn't give him enough. But if he gets to much at a time in an area it can hurt him.

#21 Posted by Zenma (4970 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"Zenma says:
"isn't superman's ability to absorb sun light radiation like that of a plant? because blue light doesn't do much to plants than yellow or yellow-orange light. so the best light for plants are actually yellow and superman takes in sun light similar to plants so is yellow light the best type of light for superman?"

No it depends on the age of the sun. Red runs are the dead ones so i guess they wouldn't give him enough. But if he gets to much at a time in an area it can hurt him."

yeah....because of a much higher frequencies of the radiation coming from younger stars

#22 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Zenma says:

"zee crusher says:
"Zenma says:

No it depends on the age of the sun. Red runs are the dead ones so i guess they wouldn't give him enough. But if he gets to much at a time in an area it can hurt him."

yeah....because of a much higher frequencies of the radiation coming from younger stars"

Lol that to.

#23 Posted by Zenma (4970 posts) - - Show Bio

think about it, it's similar to sound frequencies, as it gets higher our ears can get harmed or it becomes silent to us. So in my theory a higher frequency of radiation can either hurt him or do nothing at all

#24 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Zenma says:

"think about it, it's similar to sound frequencies, as it gets higher our ears can get harmed or it becomes silent to us. So in my theory a higher frequency of radiation can either hurt him or do nothing at all"

It will do something. The close he usually gets to the sun his power levels have always increased. I don't think i've seen an orange sun before that he might have flown by. But the weird thing is this. Why does he lose his powers under the red sun. Hes been in space before and its said that it could take superman hours to run out. But while under the red sun he has none at all.

#25 Posted by Zenma (4970 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"Zenma says:
"think about it, it's similar to sound frequencies, as it gets higher our ears can get harmed or it becomes silent to us. So in my theory a higher frequency of radiation can either hurt him or do nothing at all"

It will do something. The close he usually gets to the sun his power levels have always increased. I don't think i've seen an orange sun before that he might have flown by. But the weird thing is this. Why does he lose his powers under the red sun. Hes been in space before and its said that it could take superman hours to run out. But while under the red sun he has none at all."

maybe because his energy stored by the yellow is being replaced or mixed similar to color mixing

#26 Posted by zee crusher (8997 posts) - - Show Bio

Zenma says:

"zee crusher says:
"Zenma says:

It will do something. The close he usually gets to the sun his power levels have always increased. I don't think i've seen an orange sun before that he might have flown by. But the weird thing is this. Why does he lose his powers under the red sun. Hes been in space before and its said that it could take superman hours to run out. But while under the red sun he has none at all."

maybe because his energy stored by the yellow is being replaced or mixed similar to color mixing"

Never thought of it that way pretty good.

#27 Posted by Zenma (4970 posts) - - Show Bio

zee crusher says:

"Zenma says:
"zee crusher says:
"Zenma says:

maybe because his energy stored by the yellow is being replaced or mixed similar to color mixing"

Never thought of it that way pretty good."

thanks

#28 Posted by Zenma (4970 posts) - - Show Bio

Post Deleted.

#29 Posted by Zenma (4970 posts) - - Show Bio

Lantern Of Hatred says:

"Methos says:
"ok, so we know what happens when Kryptonians are under a Red (Class M) star... and we know what happens when they are under a Yellow (Class G) star...you can figure out that under a Orange (Class K) Star he'd he half as strong as he is under a Yellow Star... that makes sense...so, what wound happen if Superman was exposed to Solar Radiation from an even younger star?here's the spectral classification for stars...so, if a Superman gets stronger as he's around younger stars... how strong would be be under different types of star?any thoughts?M"

So wait, if superman was near a blue star he'd be like.. 5 times as strong?

oh god I can just imagine prime now X_X.
Post Edited:2008-03-21 01:04:30"

well we can't say for certain of what blue stars actually do, it can do more harm as Zee and i have posted

#30 Posted by Lantern Of Hatred (1584 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"ok, so we know what happens when Kryptonians are under a Red (Class M) star... and we know what happens when they are under a Yellow (Class G) star...you can figure out that under a Orange (Class K) Star he'd he half as strong as he is under a Yellow Star... that makes sense...so, what wound happen if Superman was exposed to Solar Radiation from an even younger star?here's the spectral classification for stars...so, if a Superman gets stronger as he's around younger stars... how strong would be be under different types of star?any thoughts?M"

So wait, if superman was near a blue star he'd be like.. 5 times as strong?

oh god I can just imagine prime now X_X.
Post Edited:2008-03-21 01:04:30

#31 Posted by hadrian29 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I’m beginning to think that no comic book writer has ever done any real research star classification. First of all, the Sun is white when viewed from space. The yellow appearance is a function of atmospheric scattering of the blue light it emits. But it really shouldn’t matter what color star is. If he’s solar powered he’s solar powered. If anything, it should be a function of distance and luminosity (radiant power or power emitted in the form of photons). The idea that he loses power under the “influence” of any red star makes me laugh. And all of you who think that red stars are “dead” need to do a little research on Betelgeuse. It’s a red super giant with a luminosity 105,000 times greater than that of our own Sun. It only appears red because it’s heat is being spread out over a much larger surface area. If he were as close to it as the Earth is to the Sun, he’d be on CRACK! Now sure, a typical red dwarf has about 1/10,000 the luminosity of the Sun. And apparently, scientist think some red dwarfs in the Milky Way may have extremely small habitable zones around them. But these zones would need to be much closer to the star in question that Earth is to the Sun. Close enough that the amount of the star’s energy reaching this theoretical “Krypton” would be pretty much the same as the amount that reaches Earth from the Sun. Complex life more than likely wouldn’t develop otherwise. The only argument that makes sense for this whole “star color/power level” ratio crap is that red stars tend to put our more radiation in the infrared wavelength while blue giants and blue super giants emit most of their energy in the ultraviolet spectrum. Therefore, one could make the argument that his body absorbs and processes electromagnetic radiation specifically in the ultraviolet spectrum to power himself. But that’s really about it. The “color” of the star is primarily a function of surface temperature. BTW…most of this info can be found at www.universetoday.com. Someone should tell the comic book writers to take a look there sometime. lol

#32 Posted by weirdboy (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Ive always thought that diffrent star radiation would have diffrent effects and its somthing they can expant on in the DC universe. kinda silly but ive always thought that superman would go through a kind of kryptonian lycanthropic type of transformation under a blue giant which would act like a full moon. and it dosent have to be just solar radiation. kryptonite is a radioactive material and there are many diffrent of kryptonite each with a diffrent effect.  but would like to know what people think about this.

#33 Posted by AquaFox84 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I just simply have the theory that the age of the sun is proportional to a Kryptonian's strength, following the information that is already provided it seems that it was their direction. Not accounting for a Dwarf Star. It all made sense to me. A Blue Star is the youngest thus gives him the highest potential like a Teenager. a Yellow sun is the prime of the star's life and thus gives Superman his powers at their limit when he is on earth. The last part is the Red Star which was what they naturally live under and that then makes him an "old man" and a low ability to use his powers. There is also the gravity that causes a factor too.

#34 Posted by hadrian29 (18 posts) - - Show Bio

That's probably what the writers were going for at the time. Only now we know enough about stars to realize that it's doesn't jive. Time for a retcon.

#35 Edited by HeavenlyDarkDragon (127 posts) - - Show Bio

With the light of younger more potent stars his powers would greatly increase. To which point is anyone's guess.

One thing is certain, kriptonian physiology processes energy more eficently the more time its exposed to a star type that gives a kriptonian powers. In many cases, the most known being the One Million timeline, it's shown that the more time spent under the influence of stars that aren't red, the more powerful Superman becomes over time, has his cells evolve over time.

One can assume that being in a solar system with above G class stars, his powers might actually develop faster. In the One Million story it took him over 80.000 years to reach that power level, but he was for the last 15.000 years inside Earth sun, if he were to spend some serious time in the proximity of even inside a star above G class the time needed for him to achieve greater levels of power might be shortened a few thousands years.

It's all guess work. I doubt DC writers will ever explore a situation where this will happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.