Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18936 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

JUSTICE LEAGUE #12: Superman and Wonder Woman Hook Up

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201  Edited By azza04

Alot of people's opinions on this seem to be based on how they personally view the characters, not on how they are actually written. To say Diana wouldn't be interested in Clark or visa versa doesn't really sound accurate to me. This is a relaunched universe, so their history before the new 52 is a pretty usless reference as to why they wouldn't work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324
    deactivated-5a77aa5e0a324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never really been for or against Wonder Woman with Superman, but I never considered it because Supes was always with Lois. I'm interested to see how their relationship will develop because of this. Also, it may have been done before or whatnot, but so was Clark and Lois, and that was fine with everybody. I just want to see how these semi-new iterations of the characters can influence and mold one another and relate in the New52. The one thing I will say is if Geoff makes Wonder Woman into a damsel in distress I will be super (no pun intended) disappointed. So, I'll wait before I pass judgement on them as a couple.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#203  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@DarthShap said:

The worst thing about this is that we have already read that story. It is called Action Comics #600, RIGHT AFTER THEIR FIRST REBOOT in 1988.

No Caption Provided

And guess what? They realised they had nothing in common pretty fast and decided not to do that again.

Like so many things in this reboot, it has already been done and it was better the first time around.

Honestly, the end of this story never made much sense to me. Superman helped Wonder Woman free Olympus from Darkseid and then told her they should just be friends at the end because she was basically a goddess and her world just went over his poor, country-bumpkin head. That is ridiculous considering he had just helped her defeat a group of evil gods, held his own throughout the entire situation, and seemed pretty comfortable. Superman's dismissal of the relationship seemed pretty weak to me as a result. It felt forced and like the real reason it wasn't going to happen between them was because either Byrne or the editorial staff was against it and had nothing really to do with their compatibility.

So I don't accept this issue as hard evidence as to why this relationship is a bad idea.

Savage_Hawkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Savage_Hawkman

If they hook up, the bracelets are coming off!

FanofUltraman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By FanofUltraman

Does Batman get tail? No, he has Robin.

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#206  Edited By Omega-Man

What I don't like about Superman and WW is the fact that WW does not need a man to be who she is she certainly doesn't need Superman and to me that's degrading a character thats set in the beliefs of women being as strong and as powerful as men are.

People who state they should hook up don't know a thing about Wonder Woman and are ignorant toward her.

Thats all I'm Saying.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#207  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Maybeland: Their publication history is a friends. They have had romantic interaction in the past, very briefly, but they have also had moments where they said that is ridiculous (read For The Man Who Has Everything). By the way in the 1960s Catwoman drugged Superman at one point and used him as a de facto boyfriend for a few panels.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@RazzaTazz said:

@Maybeland: Their publication history is a friends. They have had romantic interaction in the past, very briefly, but they have also had moments where they said that is ridiculous (read For The Man Who Has Everything). By the way in the 1960s Catwoman drugged Superman at one point and used him as a de facto boyfriend for a few panels.

Razza, you're a sharp moderator, and I haven't read EVERY comment on this thread. So let me ask: Are you primarily afraid this relationship will do some damage to Wonder Woman's character?

IZZR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By IZZR

Wonder Woman belongs with Batman, Supes and her have no reason to be together, hes too soft he belongs with Lois

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By ARMIV2

Oh woah, say what now?!

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@IZZR said:

Wonder Woman belongs with Batman, Supes and her have no reason to be together, hes too soft he belongs with Lois

The Man of Steel is not "soft," thank you very much.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#212  Edited By RazzaTazz

@Jekylhyde14: It is a betrayal of the character of the individual. I am not saying it is impossible, but they come at what they do from completely different angles. Superman feels that based on his raising that what he does is for the best. Wonder Woman is a want-to-be pacifist who is forced into doing stuff she doesn't want to do. That is why I say that it is a betrayal of her character. In this case Wonder Woman is the expected head cheerleader that dates the quarterback, when in fact she would probably choose the leader of the debate society or the Friends of the Environment club.

afierce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#213  Edited By afierce

"A shocking last page that will have the world talking about this issue!"

Can't wait for the full page splash of them getting it on like the last page of Catwoman #1! That's what we're talking about, right?

Oh oh, I know, Wondey is going to find out that she's pregnant and they're going to have a part god, part super baby! And it will be evil of course. And they'll have to kill it to save the world. And everyone will be sad. Except Batman.

Dang, you see?! I can tell qualities stories like DC is right now.

RemyLeBeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#214  Edited By RemyLeBeau

@RazzaTazz said:

@Jekylhyde14: It is a betrayal of the character of the individual. I am not saying it is impossible, but they come at what they do from completely different angles. Superman feels that based on his raising that what he does is for the best. Wonder Woman is a want-to-be pacifist who is forced into doing stuff she doesn't want to do. That is why I say that it is a betrayal of her character. In this case Wonder Woman is the expected head cheerleader that dates the quarterback, when in fact she would probably choose the leader of the debate society or the Friends of the Environment club.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Poor Trevor.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#215  Edited By DarthShap

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@DarthShap said:

The worst thing about this is that we have already read that story. It is called Action Comics #600, RIGHT AFTER THEIR FIRST REBOOT in 1988.

No Caption Provided

And guess what? They realised they had nothing in common pretty fast and decided not to do that again.

Like so many things in this reboot, it has already been done and it was better the first time around.

Honestly, the end of this story never made much sense to me. Superman helped Wonder Woman free Olympus from Darkseid and then told her they should just be friends at the end because she was basically a goddess and her world just went over his poor, country-bumpkin head. That is ridiculous considering he had just helped her defeat a group of evil gods, held his own throughout the entire situation, and seemed pretty comfortable. Superman's dismissal of the relationship seemed pretty weak to me as a result. It felt forced and like the real reason it wasn't going to happen between them was because either Byrne or the editorial staff was against it and had nothing really to do with their compatibility.

So I don't accept this issue as hard evidence as to why this relationship is a bad idea.

No, what really seemed forced was the original idea to have them make out just because "hey, it's his birthday and the 600th comic book, we need to do something BIG!". That did not make any sense. Their "break-up" obviously felt just as forced because they had no reason to go out in the first place.

Here, Johns is doing the exact same thing for exactly the same reasons (basically to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the New 52)

And that is what I was saying here, that it had already been done in the past and that it will happen the exact same way here, except that this time around, Johns is going to drag it for at least six issues because "Come on, it's the New 52! Extreeeeeeme!"

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By jorgeareizaga

WONDER WOMAN IS SO SO SO SO SO LUCKY, I HOPE SHE CAN TRAP HIM FOREVER!!!

herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By herrweis

I dont understand the Batman/Diana thing .an aliean from a deceased planet and a goddess ,well thats interesting.its a different wonder woman and superman .lets see how it goes.i'm interested thats for sure.they look good together .hell most of us would put them together anyway.no one said crap when they got together in "kingdom come".

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@RazzaTazz said:

I can understand why you might be worried. In the past, Superman's girlfriends do end up taking a back seat to him and his never-ending mission. Lois definitely lost bits of her identity after she married him. However, I have a hard time seeing this happening to Wonder Woman. She's much too strong. She also has her own monthly title and a strong writer. I doubt very much that Azzarello would allow the relationship to interfere with Diana's mission of peace. Her separate book and mission will allow her avenues to maintain her freedom and identity that poor Lois didn't have Post-Crisis. Wonder Woman was definitely not shy in Kingdom Come in telling Superman he was making a mistake when she thought he was making a mistake. I also think Superman is attracted to her because he sees her as an equal. Not just because of her strength but also because he understands her. He wasn't even a little angry after she socked him one in Justice League. I'm positive that Wonder Woman is strong and independent enough to enter this relationship without being demoted to Superman's pep squad.

I also think you're underestimating my boy Supes a bit. He's a different man now Post-Flashpoint. He's politically a much more progressive hero and Morrison has given him his super-memory and intellect back. I'm sure he has no interest in dominating Wonder Woman in a relationship (if he even could) and is capable of connecting with her on an intellectual level. Not to mention the fact that they're both outsiders thanks to their powers and their backgrounds. I'm sure that gives them a lot in common emotionally. I just think it's unfair to equate Superman with the high school quarterback. I'd like to think of it more as the leader of the debate society getting together with the boy who presides over the community outreach program.

They may have different motivations. Yes, Superman does have big ideas about how to change the world for better while Wonder Woman is primarily about peace, but many of their goals are the same. That fact also leaves open the possibility for them to disagree which would be interesting from a narrative standpoint. Wonder Woman is a great character and a brilliant heroine. Superman is Superman. They're both great on their own, yes, but they might also make a great couple. I don't think less of either of them for dating and wouldn't worry about one getting in the others way. Arguably, they may be made for each other in the way that both are too strong to be dominated by the other.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By DarthShap

@doordoor123 said:

@Lvenger said:
    There have been scenes in the book that he "likes" her. He never said anything about love. No one said anything about love and he doesn't seem like he is obsessed with her. Too iconic? I thought thats why DC relaunched all of their books. SO there wouldn't be a word such as "iconic". Calling something iconic stops it from growing. Thats why Superman hasn't grown in years. Relationships NEVER work when characters only date characters from their own book. A relationship should be a small thread in a larger story. Relationships should never control the whole book. Example of two great relationships were Wally and Linda and Kyle and Jade. Linda was by no means in every issue of the book, but she showed up from time to time. Though she DID show up a lot in the silver age, but times have changed -- issues aren't one and done anymore. Her more recent appearances only had her showing up as a guest every third issue or so. Kyle and Jade had a moment every two issues or so too. Giving partners space in comics is a good thing. It doesn't get annoying when love takes over the entire book.

I am sorry but what difference is there between loving someone and having marrying this person as your deepest wish?

"Relationships NEVER work when characters only date characters from their own book." Err...then why is your go to example Linda, who was basically only in the Flash? (and Jade for that matter, seeing that at that time, she had stopped to appear in other comics)

Also, Linda was created in 1989, at the beginning of the MODERN AGE so I really, really do not know what you are talking about.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#220  Edited By sethysquare

I got an idea for a new book. A few years ago Superman/Batman was a huge hit. DC start creating a new book. Superman/Wonder Woman.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@DarthShap said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@DarthShap said:

No Caption Provided

No, what really seemed forced was the original idea to have them make out just because "hey, it's his birthday and the 600th comic book, we need to do something BIG!". That did not make any sense. Their "break-up" obviously felt just as forced because they had no reason to go out in the first place.

Here, Johns is doing the exact same thing for exactly the same reasons (basically to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the New 52)

And that is what I was saying here, that it had already been done in the past and that it will happen the exact same way here, except that this time around, Johns is going to drag it for at least six issues because "Come on, it's the New 52! Extreeeeeeme!"

Why is it so hard to believe that maybe these two characters would be drawn to one another because there are very few people like them? It doesn't really feel forced to me that Superman and Wonder Woman would share an attraction. They're both crazy powerful, they're both relative outsiders to the world, and they both dedicate themselves to missions and higher ideals. If you met someone like that who shared that much in common with you, wouldn't you be attracted to them? There's a reason this romance comes back again and again throughout the history of DC and it's because it makes sense on a lot of levels. That isn't "forced."

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By sethysquare

@DarthShap: It didnt work in the past because editorial mandates that clark and lois would always end up together. Now the world is open and there are countless possibilities. We can finally have a relationships that last for several months and years.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Or35ti

Whoo! i'm super psyched to see this develop. Clark Kent can't be stuck as Lois Lane's doormat forever..

Avatar image for crazyflashfan11
    crazyflashfan11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By crazyflashfan11

@SirSparkington said:

Steve Trevor, welcome to the friendzone.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Blue Son said:

Unfortunately for all...as quoted on Yahoo (Not sure how solid their reporting is...it is Yahoo): The New Power Couple: Superman and Wonder Woman By Michael Krumboltz - Yahoo Movie Talk Courtesy of DC Comics/EW.comScandal in Metropolis! Superman and Wonder Woman are canoodling on the cover of an upcoming "Justice League" comic. No word on what flavor of Ben and Jerry's Lois Lane was gorging on. Now we have to get a little geeky here to explain what's going on. DC Comics, the publisher of Superman and Wonder Woman, recently relaunched all their comics, calling them The New 52. This is the 12th issue of a reboot for The Justice League, kind of DC's version of "The Avengers." Loyal readers might have suspected something like this was coming. As Entertainment Weekly points out, Superman and Wonder Woman have been getting all flirty in recent issues of the new comic. Apparently, they just couldn't fight the feeling anymore. And this isn't going to be some lame one-off where in the next issue Superman wakes up from a dream and he's still dating Lois Lane. EW quotes writer Geoff Johns: "This is the new status quo," says Johns. He added that the new power couple's relationship will have a big effect on the rest of the DC Universe. While some folks may be outraged at the idea of Superman and Wonder Woman smooching this isn't the first time they've taken their relationship to a higher plane. In the Batman-centric "The Dark Knight Strikes Again," Superman and Wonder Woman have a daughter named Lara (aka Supergirl) together. Many EW commenters believe Batman and Wonder Woman would make a better couple, but we think Superman is a good match. These two need a partner who understands what it's like to save the world over and over again. Plus their outfits compliment each other so well.

Okay, for starters, the Avengers are Marvel's version of the Justice League, not the other way around.

And since when have Wonder Woman and Superman been getting flirty? I've been reading since the series began and I can't even recall one time that they were legitimately flirting with one another. The only time that I can think comes close was that one scene where Superman remarks "You're strong" to Diana, but that hardly counts.

Yahoo's full of SH%&.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#226  Edited By fps_dean

Steve Trevor and Louis Lane need to hook up now.

Trixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#227  Edited By Trixie

The King and Queen if DC

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By bigcimmerian

Noooo, they are better as friends, but I could see Bruce and Diana as couple.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By laabitres

im so lovin this

ChaosAgentLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By ChaosAgentLoki

@soduh2: I must now attack you! JK, I'm a Selina x Bruce fan through and through (when it comes to the comics) and only really enjoy the WWxBM pairing when dealing with the JLU.

As to Supes and Wonder Woman hooking up, well, I'm just not sure. It worked in Kingdom Come, but was horrendous in DKSA (though that story was terrible in total), so I'm not really sure how I feel about this.

MB25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By MB25

@Trixie said:

The King and Queen if DC

Avatar image for goldenboy_prime
    Goldenboy_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Goldenboy_Prime

Well considering I dropped Justice League and WW in JL may as well be in a different universe from WW in her own comic, meh... I am not effect by this

However if DC is in the crapping on one fan base (WW's) to provide fan service to another (supes') type of mood, then can we get some new comics of Batman kicking Superman's ass? Oh and Aquaman trashing Hal Jordan would be great as well... How about Damian out-thinking Tim Drake in order to defeat him? Anyone else have any suggestions?

soduh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#233  Edited By soduh2

@ChaosAgentLoki: Hey, maybe this means Hyperman will be born in the New 52

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By Mega_spidey01

@BushidoBlack said:

@PsychoKnights said:

Behold, the comic book couple with the least chemistry of all time. Meh!

LOL. It's the truth though.

kadosho_16bit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By kadosho_16bit

Saw this lovely story on GMA this morning, I have to admit its daunting to see this again. (then again the cover looks nice!)

But hey anything can happen in the DC Universe. Literally

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#236  Edited By cmaprice

I see they're into bondage. 

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By SandMan_

Hmm....

What exactly do you see in WW and Batman pairing???

Really? Because of the JLU cartoon?They made everyone kiss batman's a$$ in that cartoon. Yes, it was awesome....But still. i would have preferred Maxima or someone new, but as long as it ain't Lois I am ok.

Besides, the story isn't out yet....Can't we just wait and read? At least let us know why it can't work.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#238  Edited By cmaprice

But how would they have 'new 52' sex? They don't have masks to leave on!

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By AtPhantom

@SandMan_ said:

Besides, the story isn't out yet....Can't we just wait and read? At least let us know why it can't work.

One big reason: Johns is writing it.

Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Band Lone

Annnnd lois has no idea i bet xD

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By SandMan_
    @AtPhantom said:

@SandMan_ said:

One big reason: Johns is writing it.

Hit or miss. I hope is a hit. Aquaman is wonderful.
    Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Zeeguy91

@Jekylhyde14: IMO, Wonder Woman is too much of an outsider for even Clark. I believe that they want different things in life and have very contradictory attitudes. Clark is the peacemaker, he sees himself not as an alien. He sees himself as human, He values his identity as Clark over his identity as Superman, or at least he did before the reboot.

With Diana, however, there are times when she embraces the Wonder Woman identity over her identity as Diana. These are usually times when she feels that she must suspend her humanity in times of crisis or when her personal identity is threatened. We just saw this recently when she found out her true heritage, but we've seen it before. For example, the time she killed Max Lord. She was able to justify her doing so because the "world needed her to be Wonder Woman" not Diana. That is something that Clark would never do. Something that I don't even think he's capable of doing.

While I do concede that Clark and Diana would feel attraction to each other out of physical desire or the excitement of being with someone who is like you in certain ways, I feel that there are fundamental character differences that make it so that they could never really be a lasting or enduring couple. So I have to agree that they are better as friends than as lovers.

Maybe Diana and the younger, more determined Clark from Action Comics would work better as a couple than the older Clark that appears in Justice League, though.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Zeeguy91

@AtPhantom: Is that your only reason? Because let me tell you, its not a very good one. There are some things that Morrison himself writes that I hate. It doesn't mean that everything he writes is garbage.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By sethysquare

@Zeeguy91: Both of them are older. But not by much. They're both in their mid twenties. Thats something that we have never seen before. A younger persona.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By DarthShap

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@DarthShap said:

@Jekylhyde14 said:

@DarthShap said:

No Caption Provided

Why is it so hard to believe that maybe these two characters would be drawn to one another because there are very few people like them? It doesn't really feel forced to me that Superman and Wonder Woman would share an attraction. They're both crazy powerful, they're both relative outsiders to the world, and they both dedicate themselves to missions and higher ideals. If you met someone like that who shared that much in common with you, wouldn't you be attracted to them? There's a reason this romance comes back again and again throughout the history of DC and it's because it makes sense on a lot of levels. That isn't "forced."

No, it comes back again and again because writers are very lazy sometimes and will use this same stupid plot because they think they cant get away with it.

Your similarities are meaningless. Every superhero is basically like that. You are kind of forgetting how different they are. One is a reporter who was raised in Smallville, Kansas by farmers, has always lived amongst humans and actually spends most of his time as one. The other is a warrior who was raised by Amazons, knows nothing about Earth and often does not even have a secret identity.

The only reason why people want them together is because she is almost as strong as Superman and she is a female in the Trinity. To me, it is basically as stupid and fan-servicy as the "Who would win in a fight, Superman or Batman? " we get every now and then (and we actually got one of these a few months ago in JL #2 by the same Geoff Johns).

Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#246  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

@RazzaTazz said:

Perfect description of Superman/Wonder Woman shipping.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By AtPhantom

@SandMan_ said:

Justice League has been a quite consistent and painful miss however.

@Zeeguy91 said:

@AtPhantom: Is that your only reason? Because let me tell you, its not a very good one. There are some things that Morrison himself writes that I hate. It doesn't mean that everything he writes is garbage.

Read above.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Vaeternus

So, I guess Superman makes Diana Super-wet? lol

I doubt this will last though

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By ahgunsillyo

I'm cool with this, I guess. However, and this really isn't a big deal at all, but I'm curious now as to how old Superman is. We know that Wonder Woman was 18 around the time Justice League #1 took place and 23 in her own book. But then again, I don't really know when the current Justice League storyline takes place, or anything when it comes to Superman's New 52 timeline, for that matter.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By SandMan_
    @AtPhantom said:

@SandMan_ said:

Justice League has been a quite consistent and painful miss however.

@Zeeguy91 said:

Read above.

Unfortunately. So has the goddamn Superman title...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.