Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Johns and Romita Jr CBR Interview

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I gotta say, the new Superman creative team are pushing all the right buttons and ticking the boxes for me with comments like this and the quality of their previous two issues. I especially love the comments on making Superman brighter and more optimistic character which is something he SHOULD have been from the start of The New 52 regardless of its direction. And no other writer has picked up on this before.

Source: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54590

Thoughts on this interview?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Ah hell this sounds so cool. Unfortunately i'm gonna be waiting a long time for it. Stupid inconsistent trade paperback release dates. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Squalleon

The whole idea of calling this storyline "The Men of Tomorrow" is to inject that optimism of tomorrow back into Superman, because it's been a little bit lost.

YES!

In an age of when everybody is very cynical, and producing a lot of work that's very gritty, and grey, and dark, I think it's kind of nice to have a character that is hanging on to a certain amount of idealism. I personally can identity with that, and I find it affirming, and reassuring.

More YES!

Well, a human Superman, which is what we've always talked about. Everyone's like, "He's so powerful, I can't relate to him." Are you kidding me? He's the most relatable character ever. He grew up on a farm, he doesn't have a lot of friends, feels isolated, he can't tell everybody what his secrets are. He's a great character. He feels overlooked -- who hasn't felt overlooked, or wanted to connect with people? All social media is, is people wanting to connect with other people. That's all it is. Because people long to connect with other people. And Superman is the embodiment of that. He's more relevant now than ever.

No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard

Human Superman eh? Show me what you're made of John's

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SaintWildcard

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I knew you'd love this interview as much as I did mate :)

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It took 32 issues and a whole lot of crap (Some issues had good ideas) but we finally get the New 52 Superman we where suppose to get back in 2011.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger said:

I expected this interview to be just another interview of the team like the SDCC ones were pretty much said the things they said when the team was announced but this, this is great.
    The opinions of the creators (especially Johns) on Superman were great. And Johns has such an understanding on what makes Superman unique.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Human Superman eh? Well Johns, show me what you're made of.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Superguy1591

Pak did all this first. Gave Superman a friend to talk to (Lana), gave Superman a new threat and a way to humanize him (The Underworld and Baka). Inject idealism into him with his "I don't punch down, I punch up" line, but there's one thing Pak didn't do.

What at really has me interested is Ulysses. There's something about the character that makes me want more of him. I'm curious to see what his power set is and where he gets his source of power being human and all.

I like Geoff, I hope this run continues to keep my attention. I thought Geoff should've been the guy writing the Superman comic from the getgo with Morrison on Action, but he had to tend to Aquaman and finish GL. Better late than never.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By redwingx

Not sure why Superman is a loner tho, hes all happy in SMxWW title. He has a girlfriend and Superboy, Supergirl and Steel. Krypto to. I guess they are ignoring continuity and going for a story that can stand on It's legs years after.

Good interview tho.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx said:

Not sure why Superman is a loner tho, hes all happy in SMxWW title. He has a girlfriend and Superboy, Supergirl and Steel. Krypto to. I guess they are ignoring continuity and going for a story that can stand on It's legs years after.

Good interview tho.

Superboy,dead. Supergirl in outer space. Steel isn't a close friend of Clark yet and they have appeared together only in two issues in the new 52. Krypto is a dog!

And WW and Bruce are very busy people. Its only logical that Clark feels alone sometimes.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: John and Clark were friends in Morrison's Action Comics and they're friends in Pak's Action Comics. I think Geoff meant the Superman title, not Superman as a character.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Squalleon

@superguy1591 said:

@squalleon: John and Clark were friends in Morrison's Action Comics and they're friends in Pak's Action Comics. I think Geoff meant the Superman title, not Superman as a character.

They aren't "close" friends. In Doomed their interactions don't seem like they are very close and Superman and John barely had any shared panel-time(if any, I don't remember well). I think John doesn't even know his secret ID, considering he hasn't mention his name(I think) and Lana calls him Superman when they speak of him.

And in Morrison's run John left to help people around the globe after their brief team up against the Kryptonite Man. And as I said again as far as we know, John and Clark aren't close.

You know very well I read my Superman don't worry I know what I am saying ;)

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I expected this interview to be just another interview of the team like the SDCC ones were pretty much said the things they said when the team was announced but this, this is great.

The opinions of the creators (especially Johns) on Superman were great. And Johns has such an understanding on what makes Superman unique.

Yeah that's what I like about it too, there's a lot of positive input from different creators, even the colorists. And Johns has done a brilliant job explaining what's gone wrong with Superman in The New 52 and how he can be improved. He's done more to save Superman than most Superman writers in the New 52 outside of Snyder in Unchained. If he continues to write like this, I have no problems with continuing to buy this series :)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Superguy1591

@squalleon: i like how Geoff leaves out Lana and only mentions Pete though. =D

But I like farm girl Lana as Clark's BFF who is still crushing on him, but refuses to admit it. I think Pak should leave it as that, but it trust him no matter what he does.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon: i like how Geoff leaves out Lana and only mentions Pete though. =D

But I like farm girl Lana as Clark's BFF who is still crushing on him, but refuses to admit it. I think Pak should leave it as that, but it trust him no matter what he does.

Yeah I agree. I don't want Lana to become a love interest too. Making her a love interest would only transform her into a second rate Lois Lane.I really want a good writer like Pak or Johns to examine more the relationship between WW and Supes because at this point the relationship was just a publicity stunt and I believe it can be much more.
    Soule's work on the SM/WW is very sub-par for my taste. With thin plot, plot-holes and characters that just don't feel right(I really can't express it better). He is a good writer but he is still a newbie and he writes like 5 titles. I think he should definetely drop some so his writing can improve. I wouldn't mind if SM/WW was one of those.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Putting aside all that self-promoting and vague phrases, I like what’s said about their plans for Superman (especially what Johns said about the issue of Superman’s relatability).

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I don't think DC wants us to fall in love with SM/WW because if we did, we might not want it to end. I mean, one of the biggest events to unfold from the N52 and you give it to an newbie like Soule? Even Lobdell has written Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship with more love than Soule's pathetic showing.

Lobdell and Pak have both made me believe that this could be a great relationship if they wanted to make it one, but putting Soule on it means they might not have wanted it to be. They could've given this book to Sholly Fisch if they wanted it to be amazing. He's written two of my favorite N52 Superman stories that always strike the heart strings.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SanoHibiki

@superguy1591:

Even Lobdell has written Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship with more love than Soule's pathetic showing.

No Caption Provided

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Superguy1591

@sanohibiki: I'm not talking about Lobdell's Bella version where he doesn't know who he wants to be with, I mean this version.

No Caption Provided

Even Lobdell is aware that Superman and Diana have been written with 0 love in their relationship. That's how bad Soule is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

Johns really does get Superman but JR JR is a deal breaker.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.