"It's year of the Superman, but the lifetime of the Batman"

#1 Posted by TheBhramaBull (277 posts) - - Show Bio

Before anyone goes into rage mode, please note the thread title is a quote by Geoff Johns that I want to discuss.

This is pretty old but I only just came across this, when watching the Celebrity opinions on the injustice battles. At around the 7:36 mark, Geoff Johns says that quote "It's year of the Superman, but it's the lifetime of the Batman" , while picking Batman as his victor. Year of the Superman is obviously referring to his 75th anniversary year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1sOqemtzvU

This is probably old news, but I've just seen it and I was a little bit shocked to be honest.

1. I actually thought it was quite disrespectful to Superman, even though the guy isn't even real haha! I'm a huge Batman fan and don't really care for Supes that much, but still for the Chief Creative Officer of DC to say that, during the 75th year celebration of Superman no less, I was like woaah!! I mean come on, no matter what I or anyone thinks, Superman is the original superhero and why we have others today.

2. The fact Geoff Johns said it surprised me also. I, as do many other Batfans I'm sure, get the feeling he doesn't care for Bats that much and endlessly tries to make him the butt of his jokes. I guess he can't get away from the fact that Batman is their top dog right now though and so was just pandering to Bat's enormous fan base in this instance, well that's what I think he was doing with this comment.

So what do you guys think about this comment? Do you think it was a bit disrespectful to Superman or not, and are you as surprised as I am that Geoff Johns would be the one to say it?

And also, would be interesting to see if anyone agrees with his statement or disagrees and why?

#2 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

I think 2 is probably right, Batman is the most popular right now, so he was just sticking to the status quo. It would be especially odd for him to feel that way given he's written some good Superman stories (like the modern (pre52) re-telling of Brainiac).

#3 Posted by crazyAMRIT (17 posts) - - Show Bio

It was obviously set up for him to say that because it you notice in each interveiw there is someone say "superman wins" and the other person saying "batman wins" just to keep the argument balanced, and i think Johns just said that as a meaningless argument.

but i could be wrong

#4 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1200 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want to say Johns writes an awful Batman.

#5 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1410 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a bit disrespectful imo,especially with it being superman's 75th. I didn't like that, obviously its because of batman's current popularity and all but still, i think he was just trying to appeal to the batfans( in all honestly though i don't believe Johns thinks batman stands a chance against superman)

#6 Posted by Jayc1324 (11539 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatesmfan: You say that like batmans only popular for the moment. They're both iconic and will stay at the top for as far as I can see.

#7 Edited by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer to see it as although it is superman's anniversary it is during this lifetime that batman is more popular.

#8 Posted by THORSON (2359 posts) - - Show Bio

i'm tired of batman. we need more superman.

#9 Posted by Nerd Of A Hero (862 posts) - - Show Bio

I just want to say Johns writes an awful Batman.

This is true. Batman Earth One is proof of that XD lol

#10 Edited by Johnni_Kun (289 posts) - - Show Bio

Almost every comic book fan is aware of Mr. Johns opinion on the Batman. He doesn't like him, and nothing is more evident, than in the way he writes him. He's just trying to put on a charade, so he can have he's cake and eat it too. He get to write Batman in anyway he wants, and the fans can't prosecute him, because of how he save face all the time. Geoff Johns is a super villain in his own right. He should not have so much pull in DC's comics. So, number 2, I guess.

#11 Posted by SanoHibiki (1521 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends what he really mean while saying that.

If it was just his opinion – “Batman can defeat Superman”, well, that’s just his personal opinion. Nothing wrong with saying that.

On the other hand… Many viewers here say that Johns don’t really like Batman, so it seems like he was simply promoting DC main cash cow. And so - if it was said just to appease Batman’s fanboys, then yes, it looks pretty disrespectful to me.

#12 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1410 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: Obviously they will, but the past 5 years of being really popular due to the boost from the dark knight hardly qualifies as a lifetime, unless Scott Snyder has a nice long run.

#14 Edited by Johnni_Kun (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatesmfan: Batman's extreme popularly long predates the Nolan movies. I think the Burton's series was when he raised above most of the other heroes. Having said that, I do understand what you are trying to say.

#15 Posted by batpala (339 posts) - - Show Bio

Shows how much they all know because it's Lois Lane's 75th anniversary this year and DC has done nothing at all to celebrate that and personally that enrages me. Lois deserves some damn respect if you ask me. She's the one whose had to put up with all these bloody shenanigans over the years.

#16 Edited by UltimateSMfan (1410 posts) - - Show Bio

@batpala: Good Point! It's Lois's 75th too and there's hardly any love for her who is arguably the most interesting woman in comics imo. Come on DC, damn!!

#17 Posted by Black_Claw (2968 posts) - - Show Bio

@ultimatesmfan: Don't forget the comics have shoved her to the sidlines in favor of Wonder Woman as Superman's girlfriend. The fact that they're actually getting their own book makes me want to bang my head into the wall.

#18 Edited by Lvenger (19303 posts) - - Show Bio

@batpala: To be fair, Snyder is doing some great things with Lois in Unchained and will be doing more stuff with her in the future. Though I agree, Lois deserves a lot more respect on her 75th anniversary than she gets.

On topic, what does this surprise people? Johns is a charlatan who tries to make it seem like he's fine with Batman but his writing shows his utter disrespect for the character. And for a guy who's written Superman really well, it is disrespectful for him to cast off Superman as if he has no chance against Batman when really it's the other way around.

#19 Posted by toplel (906 posts) - - Show Bio

@batpala: Id love a Lois one shot or mini series, but I'm not sure DC can get someone to pull it off. Its a good thing Snyder gets to do Lois in Unchained. I feel like he is doing her justice instead of using her to push some editorial mandated bull. But Lois definitely deserves a lot more.

#20 Posted by entropy_aegis (15206 posts) - - Show Bio

Geoff Two-Face Johns strikes again.

#21 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Why the hell was Stan Lee their? I know he had a big impact on comics, but his is DC

#22 Posted by RustyRoy (12001 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure someone probably made him say that or he was just trolling the fans, because he clearly doesn't believe that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.