Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is Wraith the new Doomsday?

• 65 results
    Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Superguy1591

@jayc1324: Wraith is Zod...except without a personality.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#52  Edited By Lvenger

@superguy1591 said:

@jayc1324: Wraith is Zod...except without a personality.

New 52 Zod had little personality under Soule's atrocious scripting so unless you're praising Pre New 52 Zod, I fail to see how current Zod is more compelling than current Wraith. Let me guess, it's because Pak wrote Zod in Villain's Month isn't it? As for Wraith, he poses a great psychological and ideological challenge to Superman, more than you care to admit. But we've established you don't like Unchained at all.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

It's a bit early for this but what the hell

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Superguy1591

@lvenger: I was talking about Zod as a whole. And Wraith is just bulky Zod; nothing fresh or new dynamic about him.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@saint_wildcard: You read 34 yet? Did you like it?

I just read it, good stuff. Interesting villain, good emotional moments, good action. Loving it so far.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Lvenger

@superguy1591 said:

@lvenger: I was talking about Zod as a whole. And Wraith is just bulky Zod; nothing fresh or new dynamic about him.

Zod represents the worst of Krypton with understandable but misguided motives to his cause. Wraith represents Superman's inactivity against much larger threats that could save lives but only through ambiguous and equally immoral ways. They're completely different, I assure you. And Zod is better I grant you that but Wraith is a different kind of threat to Superman. There are nuances about Wraith that you aren't seeing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@lvenger: I'm disappointed that wraith probably won't be used anymore after unchained.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@lvenger: I'm disappointed that wraith probably won't be used anymore after unchained.

True but new characters can decrease in quality after their original story so maybe it's better if Wraith has a one and done story instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: true. I just like characters that are a real physical threat to Superman, like H'el and Darkseid and Wraith. I was disappointed when superman ripped doomsday in half too.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@lvenger: true. I just like characters that are a real physical threat to Superman, like H'el and Darkseid and Wraith. I was disappointed when superman ripped doomsday in half too.

Well Doomsday is supposed to be a plot device against Superman winning through sheer might so that needed to be changed in the New 52. Doomed isn't what I would do with Doomsday myself.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By reactor

@jayc1324 said:

The way I view it is that comparative strength and durability is at a greater scale with superhuman beings than with humans. With normal folks, we can't punch through each other or rip each other apart by sheer tensive strength, but the same rule or standards would not apply to folks that have strength in the multi-megaton range. Invincible relays this really well with the Viltrumites. They're all super strong and invulnerable, but can still punch through one another, rip each other's heads off, tear off limbs or punch through each others guts.

It didn't mean they weren't insanely and superhumanly durable - they were - just that the scaling of strength was simply not relative to human terms. I have zero doubt in my mind that Doomsday could have done the same thing to Supes (being animalistic in nature, I doubt he really would have thought about it), and that Doomsday got ripped in half does nothing negative to my impression of him as a powerful character.

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

H'El

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, h'es just another super powerful superman enemy.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
    ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

no, h'es just another super powerful superman enemy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.