Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is this the first sign of the SM/WW breakup

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Saw this in Justice League and it got me thinking that someone is thinking about things she shouldn't.

Is this one of the first signs of the so hinted breakup.

No Caption Provided

It seems to indicate that but I'll wait and see.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I doubt it. Wonder Woman is going to be in the center, so it makes sense that Steve is involved and she comments on their failed relationship. Cus Azz didn't in his run. It honestly reminds me of this

https://fbcdn-photos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xat1/v/t1.0-0/11351406_853869284694653_1502684163325763422_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=6f76b0676536704808becf13060eae9c&oe=55F8AF91&__gda__=1442519886_a4578eb2dbbc5d69787e49ae9bde2719

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Complicated and hard. Yeah, no wonder it is over.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe but it looks like she just having mix feelings towards an ex.

Imnosuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm somewhat worried because Johns seems to be the master of DC and does whatever he pleases. But everytime something like this comes up I remember that from the other side Lois/Clark writers made even worse things - Snyder in Unchained comes to mind. I don't really feel like complaining when it's clear that so many professionals want to trow fire in the fandoms.

Then I got to the part where Johns contradicts Superman's characterization from 2 books ago - his reaction to finding Lex has kryptonite - and burst out laughing. My worries about the SM/WW pair got drowned in the worry of getting confirmed that he really doesn't give a damn about Supes.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill admit it though, I am getting a major kiss vibe from that moment

Imnosuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill admit it though, I am getting a major kiss vibe from that moment

Not really. Honestly, I was... Meh about it. The language was milimetricaly chosen to provoke. "I wonder about us but he doesn't wonder about me" is contradicted by A.R.G.U.S miniseries and his pathetic behavior for a looooong time after they split. Now it's the reverse? Cheap. Couple that with the talks of Chris Pine as Steve Trevor - thou from what I could see in WW forums there was minimal reaction to that - and it's par for the course right now.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last part about love is what really hints it. It seems to say she still is in love with him.

coolcat4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

since when are they going to break up. i never heard anything.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No more different than Scott Lobdell having Superman say the same thing in his run or Scott Snyder having Superman almost kiss Lois.

Anyway, if they're going to break up over her still loving Steve, I'm okay with with it.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last part about love is what really hints it. It seems to say she still is in love with him.

Yes it does. I mean, when I'm with a girl I love I'm not looking at my ex's and thinking "I wonder if she still thinks about us". That's a big no, no. It's like saying "Well, I couldn't be with the person I really wanted to be, so I settled for number 2 choice".

@coolcat4 said:

since when are they going to break up. i never heard anything.

It's been hinted by writers, and people been speaking about it for quite some time now. There's even posts dedicated to with whom should Superman really be. Diana, Lois or even other choices. But 99% it's between Diana and Lois.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591 said:

No more different than Scott Lobdell having Superman say the same thing in his run or Scott Snyder having Superman almost kiss Lois.

Yeah. Nice call. Almost forgot about that.

Snyder basically doing a In-Your-Face move with Lois. Really stretching things out.

And Lobdell got Clark spying on Lois phone has she received a text message from her love interest at the time. Which by the way... What happened to that guy? Did he fall into a black hole : )

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: According to Pak, she's still with him. She made a funk about it when The Phantom King said Superman loved Batman more than her.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591:

Yeah... Remembered it now. I honestly was thinking that DC had done the usual disappearing act. Now you see it now you don't : )

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, it is what it is, DC just need to make up their mind on continuing the SM/WM pairing or separating them because the back and forth is BS, ya can't please everybody so I say F it and do what ya been doing, but do it better than ya being doing it.

Honestly I like the pair could make some good stories if they actually tried and the only time I really like Lois is in, well anything from Rucka, particularly the Ruin Saga, but hey that's just my opinion.

weyov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By weyov

Nah.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I could see WW losing interest down the line of the truth story where he is just human. WW has been kind of vain and goes for super strong guys most of the time when you look at her romantic history.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, it is what it is, DC just need to make up their mind on continuing the SM/WM pairing or separating them because the back and forth is BS, ya can't please everybody so I say F it and do what ya been doing, but do it better than ya being doing it.

Honestly I like the pair could make some good stories if they actually tried.

Totally agree. DC needs to make a firm decision and hold to it, no matter what. Either they keep Kal and Diana together and work their asses off to show us good results. Or they might has well give up on Superman love life altogether and just leave him alone.

Like, give him a few women friends with benefits and call it even.

@teerack said:

I could see WW losing interest down the line of the truth story where he is just human. WW has been kind of vain and goes for super strong guys most of the time when you look at her romantic history.

True, for the most part. She does look at relationships from a very simplistic point of view. Too much in my opinion. But in the N52 I've noticed a difference, and the difference is that she's willing to go further than she usually does, and she's more willing to forgive and let go.

In past versions, she even surpassed Bruce when it came to being rigorous with the people around her. It's not like she pointed fingers or anything like that, she was more of a action kind of woman, who let her fists do most of the talking.

And this is saying a lot. After all it was Bruce that once said to Superman that he had failed because he lacked both commitment and strength of will, and that the last time he had inspired someone was when he died at the hands of Doomsday.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Lol I like that, doubt they will though, they'll send him right back to LL.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the feeling that this will either end with them kissing at some point in the arc, whether it be him that kisses her or a blunder on her part, which will in turn start building a riff between her and Clark. Or this is meant to finally give them some closure.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'd hoped the 8 page Superman/Wonder Woman preview would be the first sign of the break up but Tomasi's own tweets don't indicate that. Maybe there'll be some romantic tension between Steve and Diana but I don't want to be reading about the dumb 'Power Couple' relationship in a story meant to be focused on a major confrontation between Darkseid and Anti Monitor

@teerack said:

With respect, what Wonder Woman comics have you been reading? Her romantic history is comprised practically of mortal men. Steve Trevor, Trevor Barnes and Batman are all just plain old humans who Wonder Woman has had romantic relationships with. Her taste in men is hardly vain in the Pre New 52 canon.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the feeling that this will either end with them kissing at some point in the arc, whether it be him that kisses her or a blunder on her part, which will in turn start building a riff between her and Clark. Or this is meant to finally give them some closure.

Well, even though I have been informed that Future's End isn't canon anymore, it is suggested that Diana is the reason they break up.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Ι could see that happening only because Johns said this was a Diana centric event. But then again, in Trinity War there was a similar situation and people thought Sm/Ww will break then. So I wouldn't bet money on it.

@lvenger said:

@teerack said:

With respect, what Wonder Woman comics have you been reading? Her romantic history is comprised practically of mortal men. Steve Trevor, Trevor Barnes and Batman are all just plain old humans who Wonder Woman has had romantic relationships with. Her taste in men is hardly vain in the Pre New 52 canon.

Agreed. The only person of power WW has played around with is Superman since the Silver Age.

Protagonists don't usually date Super-powered folk because then they have to co-star in their own stories. And normal folk add some great interactions.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Didn't Geoff say he wanted to end it in Forever Evil, but DC pulled the idea?

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She still wonders about Steve Trevor? I thought that ship sailed a while ago...

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lvenger

@squalleon: Technically, she had some feelings for Aquaman in one JLA storyline and Nemesis was eventually revealed to be a demi-god son of the god Nemesis, so she has had feelings for those with powers. Nonetheless, her more serious relationships have been with mortal men, not with super powered hunks.

@squalleon: Didn't Geoff say he wanted to end it in Forever Evil, but DC pulled the idea?

End what, the Power Couple relationship? I knew the continuation of this damaging romance was out of Johns' hands for some time now.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Ι don't know. Never heard of it before. But sounds plausible DC has changed many of Geoff's stories in the past like Forever Evil, Flashpoint etc.

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: Technically, she had some feelings for Aquaman in one JLA storyline and Nemesis was eventually revealed to be a demi-god son of the god Nemesis, so she has had feelings for those with powers. Nonetheless, her more serious relationships have been with mortal men, not with super powered hunks.

I thought only Aquaman had feelings for Diana. You learn something new everyday :P So only Green lantern and Flash are left and WW will have a complete set of DC's A-listers :P I think that is both sad and funny. Since to make her relevant on the team half of the time they pair her up with someone. I don't like it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: You're actually right and I was wrong, at least according to what I've read. Peter David once wrote an Aquaman annual where a Pre Aquaman Orin and Pre Wonder Woman Diana met up and fought the Sea God Triton, apparently kissing before going their seperate ways. Aquaman was the one to wake up Wonder Woman when the Queen of Fables put her to sleep and after getting caught in her lasso one time, Aquaman said that the only reason he stayed on the League was because of his feelings for Diana, but it's never been referenced since in Pre New 52 canon. So it was only Aquaman who had feelings for Wonder Woman, not vice versa.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Personally I hope not. I've only got two TPB volumes and I'd like some more. That and I like the power couple relationship. I know, someone shoot me I must be either a pervert or blind to a proper love story, at least according to the vine.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By azza04

@soldierofel said:

Personally I hope not. I've only got two TPB volumes and I'd like some more. That and I like the power couple relationship. I know, someone shoot me I must be either a pervert or blind to a proper love story, at least according to the vine.

You're not the only one that enjoys the pairing, it has quite a large fan following but as it goes they just aren't as vocal as those unhappy with it. Personally I always imagined Clark and Diana in a relationship when they were older and more experienced after being teammates and friends for a lot longer (like Kingdom Come). But they obviously decided to try the relationship when they were younger in the careers.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:
    @soldierofel said:

You're not the only one that enjoys the pairing, it has quite a large fan following but as it goes they just aren't as vocal as those unhappy with it. Personally I always imagined Clark and Diana in a relationship when they were older and more experienced after being teammates and friends for a lot longer (like Kingdom Come). But they obviously decided to try the relationship when they were younger in the careers.

I too want those two to stay together. But DC is throwing some curve balls.

My main point when I started this topic was because of the seemingly confusion or misleading that DC has been showing.

In one hand we get WW thinking about if her Ex thinks about her and their past relationship. And on the other hand we get leaks like this

No Caption Provided

And I personally am left, thinking "Ok. Just what direction is DC really going??"

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By azza04

@azza04 said:
    @soldierofel said:

My main point when I started this topic was because of the seemingly confusion or misleading that DC has been showing.

In one hand we get WW thinking about if her Ex thinks about her and their past relationship. And on the other hand we get leaks like this

No Caption Provided

And I personally am left, thinking "Ok. Just what direction is DC really going??"

I honestly don't think they are throwing curve balls. I really don't think DC have all their writers on the same page. The planning for their last two events have been sketchy at best which has set up a confusing continuity. As far as SM/WW, it's pretty clear that some of the writers don't like the pairing (Geoff Johns) and in some cases are completely ignoring it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@heavenlydarkdragon: @azza04: True, DC do have a rather weird business model sometimes. And I'm glad that the pairing has a large fanbase. I was just referring to the popular idea throughout the vine and mainly the superman fan community that this pair is a juvenile fantasy which has no real basis. I've even some users post that the paring is for teenagers who are just perverts but that's just a single view. Regardless of what they think, I'm glad it's getting some attention as I've always enjoyed the idea of them being together. I love Lois but I like the Diana paring just as much.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: @azza04: True, DC do have a rather weird business model sometimes. And I'm glad that the pairing has a large fanbase. I was just referring to the popular idea throughout the vine and mainly the superman fan community that this pair is a juvenile fantasy which has no real basis. I've even some users post that the paring is for teenagers who are just perverts but that's just a single view. Regardless of what they think, I'm glad it's getting some attention as I've always enjoyed the idea of them being together. I love Lois but I like the Diana paring just as much.

It all depends on the writer for me. Superman and Wonder Woman aren't the easiest characters to write separately and their stories are often hit or miss. Romance portrayed in comic book format often comes across as flat which is definitely how it often comes across in the SM/WW book. The fans that seem to hate the pairing with the most passion are usually the hardcore Batman fans who believe in the BM/WW romance hinted at in Justice League Limited.

Imnosuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:
    @heavenlydarkdragon said:
    @azza04 said:
    @soldierofel said:

No Caption Provided

I honestly don't think they are throwing curve balls. I really don't think DC have all their writers on the same page. The planning for their last two events have been sketchy at best which has set up a confusing continuity. As far as SM/WW, it's pretty clear that some of the writers don't like the pairing (Geoff Johns) and in some cases are completely ignoring it.

This romance has 2 HUGE forces against it: Clois and Batdudebros. Sincerely, I only discovered the noise of Clois fans when I decided to take the plunge and buy the books. Before that I only read the trolling of BM/WW fans. Youtube, Facebook, Tumblr, the greatest nemesis of the pairing were Batudebros. Heck, I only discovered that Clark and Diana were together because of their trolling. I was so disgusted with DC's treatment of Supes that I didn't even know there had been a reboot.

Clois fans for all of their noise - that I only discovered after I started to frequent forums regularly - are the weaker forces, IMO. If it weren't for Smallville I think they would not even register. The money, the power, the big names both in executive and artistic positions, all of them belong to Batman. It's almost scary in a metaphorical sense: Bats is the 1% both in and outside of fiction.

At least I have this to take with the pairing: Superman doesn't have a legion of writers willing to elevate him at the cost of other characters. He doesn't have the weight of the entertainment industry behind him in comparisson to Batman. I'm rooting for the real underdog in this 'war'. Nobody can take this away from me.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Teerack

@saintwildcard said:

Ι could see that happening only because Johns said this was a Diana centric event. But then again, in Trinity War there was a similar situation and people thought Sm/Ww will break then. So I wouldn't bet money on it.

@lvenger said:
    @teerack said:

Agreed. The only person of power WW has played around with is Superman since the Silver Age.

Protagonists don't usually date Super-powered folk because then they have to co-star in their own stories. And normal folk add some great interactions.

Steve Trevor is an alpha male she usually dumps when he cant keep up with her.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:
    @heavenlydarkdragon said:
    @azza04 said:
    @soldierofel said:

No Caption Provided

This romance has 2 HUGE forces against it: Clois and Batdudebros. Sincerely, I only discovered the noise of Clois fans when I decided to take the plunge and buy the books. Before that I only read the trolling of BM/WW fans. Youtube, Facebook, Tumblr, the greatest nemesis of the pairing were Batudebros. Heck, I only discovered that Clark and Diana were together because of their trolling. I was so disgusted with DC's treatment of Supes that I didn't even know there had been a reboot.

Clois fans for all of their noise - that I only discovered after I started to frequent forums regularly - are the weaker forces, IMO. If it weren't for Smallville I think they would not even register. The money, the power, the big names both in executive and artistic positions, all of them belong to Batman. It's almost scary in a metaphorical sense: Bats is the 1% both in and outside of fiction.

At least I have this to take with the pairing: Superman doesn't have a legion of writers willing to elevate him at the cost of other characters. He doesn't have the weight of the entertainment industry behind him in comparisson to Batman. I'm rooting for the real underdog in this 'war'. Nobody can take this away from me.

I don't mind the Clois fans so much. I do enjoy the Clark-Lois pairing but it had just gotten a little boring. I'm not a fan of the BM/WW ship at all. Batman outside of his own universe has really started to grate on my nerves and matching his world up with Wonder Womans is just a terrible idea. Diana could solo his entire rogues gallery in one night. It just diminishes Batman's character and the only way to avoid that is to diminish Wonder Woman which is a bad idea.

Alot of the Wonder Woman fans that hate SM/WW are very much in the Twlight fandom who see Bruce Wayne as the Edward Cullen of the DC universe who their Prince Diana will save from his dark and broody ways. Hate it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Alpha male maybe but it's hardly a vain romance when both are attracted to each other for the values and personality traits each have rather than just their physical attraction and passion.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Teerack
    @lvenger said:

@teerack: Alpha male maybe but it's hardly a vain romance when both are attracted to each other for the values and personality traits each have rather than just their physical attraction and passion.

It's not really a bad thing. I mean no one is perfect and WW is no exception. WW has always had a very stereotypical male mentality when it comes to relationships/dating and I think that was always meant to be 100% intentional as like a feminist thing. Diana is a heart breaker.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: What do you mean a feminist thing in regards to her approach to relationships? Diana hasn't acted like the male in many of her relationships.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@teerack: What do you mean a feminist thing in regards to her approach to relationships? Diana hasn't acted like the male in many of her relationships.

Honestly if you really feel that way then either you don't know very much about how men and women are traditionally represented in fiction, or you haven't been in a lot of adult relationships.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By johnqestion

@teerack said:
    @lvenger said:

It's not really a bad thing. I mean no one is perfect and WW is no exception. WW has always had a very stereotypical male mentality when it comes to relationships/dating and I think that was always meant to be 100% intentional as like a feminist thing. Diana is a heart breaker.

Nonsense. Last time she was the one getting rejected. Girl never had sex or a real boyfriend. Trevor Barnes ended up dead...and Tresser dumped her rightfully in the end ( bad writing by Gail Simone having WW "court" the guy for his sperm) and in between we had crushes like the awful Batman stuff so what you mean by stereotypical male as well is baffling. Diana's past relationships were all rather pathetic. This one with Superman she at least comes across as maintaining her sense of self, and they do seem to be learning stuff from each other because they are actually dating long term. Unlike those other poor attempts at romance you cited.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:
    @lvenger said:

Nonsense. Last time she was the one getting rejected. Girl never had sex or a real boyfriend. Trevor Barnes ended up dead...and Tresser dumped her rightfully in the end ( bad writing by Gail Simone having WW "court" the guy for his sperm) and in between we had crushes like the awful Batman stuff so what you mean by stereotypical male as well is baffling. Diana's past relationships were all rather pathetic. This one with Superman she at least comes across as maintaining her sense of self, and they do seem to be learning stuff from each other because they are actually dating long term. Unlike those other poor attempts at romance you cited.

All of that doesn't help your case. Diana has the same amount of relationship skills as Hal Jordan. :P

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: So now you're questioning my ability to read how fictional romances are presented in comics? Great, full of heart as always. In any case, it's been the female fans who have complained whenever female characters or heroines have been treated as trophies or objects in fiction, so I don't see many examples of the women representing the masculine role of the relationship.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@teerack: So now you're questioning my ability to read how fictional romances are presented in comics? Great, full of heart as always. In any case, it's been the female fans who have complained whenever female characters or heroines have been treated as trophies or objects in fiction, so I don't see many examples of the women representing the masculine role of the relationship.

I don't care what you can or can't understand.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.