Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is there anyone alive who doesn't know superman's origin?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

I heard that the new Zach Snyder Superman movie would be yet another Superman origin story, and I ask why? I know people who've never picked up a comic or watched any superman movies or tv shows that know superman is from krypton and that the planet blew up. What could possibly be left to get out of his origin? wouldn't it be better to just do an original story instead of spending half a movie showing an origin that tops 12 people don't know?

GreenParrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GreenParrot

He should do a quick origin like All-Star Superman during  the opening credits, then move on.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

It's one of those origins you literally tell in less than 2 minutes over the opening credits for the 3 people who are actually watching a Superman movie and have never heard of Superman.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: I hope thats the limit of it 
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Primmaster64

...Everyone knows Supes origin.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Primmaster64: Thats my point why do they need to go over it again in a movie
    Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wise Son

Completely ignoring the OP here and addressing the titular question. Yes, there are many people who don't know Supes origins, millions even. Impoverish third world country citizens, the elderly who lived life in a bubble, the senses impaired(unless it's been converted to braille), the regular joe who doesn't give two craps about comics, etc. The list goes on.

Now to address the OP. Origins have been done to a fault. Take Supes on a new story or something. Couldn't hurt much.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Wise Son: Ok there was some exaggeration in the title but to the general movie going public Superman has one of the most well known origins of any fictional character 
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By AtPhantom

You're not being fair. Everyone knows the outlines of Superman's origin. Baby from a doomed world, raised by a kindly couple, has great power, wants to help people. That is just the basic concept. The foundation on which the actual story comes. So no. No one knows Superman's story, because while the basics are all the same, the actual story changes with every version. Man of Steel, Birthright, Secret Origins and Earth One are all Superman's origin stories, and they couldn't be more apart in plot and characterization. The movie will have its own story, which may be related to the comics mentioned, or it may make its own twists, but it has to be there, because that is what establishes Superman as a character.

Ask yourself this: Isn't the same applicable to Batman? Everyone knows how Batman became Batman, why he does what he does and how he does it. Yet Begins devoted more than half of the movie to showing the journey from the boy in the alley to the Caped Crusader, and manages to throw in its own twists into the tale while being completely true to the material. Superman will do the same.

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wise Son
    @joshmightbe: I would like to think so. Him, Batman and Spider-Man are definitely the big three as far as comics are concerned. 
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Primmaster64
    @AtPhantom: true
    Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wise Son
    @AtPhantom said:
    " You're not being fair. Everyone knows the outlines of Superman's origin. Baby from a doomed world, raised by a kindly couple, has great power, wants to help people. That is just the basic concept. The foundation on which the actual story comes. So no. No one knows Superman's story, because while the basics are all the same, the actual story changes with every version. Man of Steel, Birthright, Secret Origins and Earth One are all Superman's origin stories, and they couldn't be more apart in plot and characterization. The movie will have its own story, which may be related to the comics mentioned, or it may make its own twists, but it has to be there, because that is what establishes Superman as a character.Ask yourself this: Isn't the same applicable to Batman? Everyone knows how Batman became Batman, why he does what he does and how he does it. Yet Begins devoted more than half of the movie to showing the journey from the boy in the alley to the Caped Crusader, and manages to throw in its own twists into the tale while being completely true to the material. Superman will do the same. "

Nice.
     Nice.
    Avatar image for theindomitableman
    theindomitableman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wise Son said:
    " Completely ignoring the OP here and addressing the titular question. Yes, there are many people who don't know Supes origins, millions even. Impoverish third world country citizens, the elderly who lived life in a bubble, the senses impaired(unless it's been converted to braille), the regular joe who doesn't give two craps about comics, etc. The list goes on.Now to address the OP. Origins have been done to a fault. Take Supes on a new story or something. Couldn't hurt much. "
    Those people won't be going to see the movie.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Wise Son said:

" @joshmightbe: I would like to think so. Him, Batman and Spider-Man are definitely the big three as far as comics are concerned.  "

Yep they are, I actually made a thread about it.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @AtPhantom said:
    " You're not being fair. Everyone knows the outlines of Superman's origin. Baby from a doomed world, raised by a kindly couple, has great power, wants to help people. That is just the basic concept. The foundation on which the actual story comes. So no. No one knows Superman's story, because while the basics are all the same, the actual story changes with every version. Man of Steel, Birthright, Secret Origins and Earth One are all Superman's origin stories, and they couldn't be more apart in plot and characterization. The movie will have its own story, which may be related to the comics mentioned, or it may make its own twists, but it has to be there, because that is what establishes Superman as a character.Ask yourself this: Isn't the same applicable to Batman? Everyone knows how Batman became Batman, why he does what he does and how he does it. Yet Begins devoted more than half of the movie to showing the journey from the boy in the alley to the Caped Crusader, and manages to throw in its own twists into the tale while being completely true to the material. Superman will do the same. "
    This
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By MrDirector786
    @AtPhantom said:

No Caption Provided
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By PowerHerc

Probably, but that's no excuse for covering it, yet again, in another movie.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By joshmightbe
    @PowerHerc: exactly 
    Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Kallarkz

i was led to believe it was NOT an origin story

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PrinceIMC

At least Batman Begins covered something that hasn't really been seen in a movie before. His training while he was gone. It didn't just go from parent's death to him being Batman.
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By MrDirector786

According to this at about 7:20, 94% of the people in Thailand who own a TV set know who Superman is.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @AtPhantom said:
    This.

Also, Superman's origin story is far more entertaining that most heroes. The first time he appears, no matter which iteration of the origin, is always the best part of the book.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By joshmightbe
    @FadeToBlackBolt: Yes He has a great origin story that we've seen many variations of already I'm not saying anything bad about it I'd just like to see something new in a superman movie
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @joshmightbe: It will be different, half an hour to an hour at max will be devoted to it.

I thought they couldn't do an Origin story anyway because of that ridiculous court ruling regarding the Siegels?
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By joshmightbe
    @FadeToBlackBolt: I'm just going off an article on IGN that also says Zod will be the villain again 
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Skald

Half of all the superhero movies out there are, in fact, origin stories. Someone must like watching them.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By joshmightbe
    @extremeradical: well some people like justin beiber doesn't make him good
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Skald
    @joshmightbe: Just because some people don't like him doesn't mean he isn't hugely profitable either. On the other hand, I agree with the sentiment that origin stories are overdone.

I don't know why every movie based on a character has to start from the very beginning. If I had to guess, I'd assume it's because the suits at the movie company want to make every hero into a big franchise, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I mean, it's not like we need half of a movie explaining how Peter Parker got bit by a radioactive spider, or Superman came from the planet Krypton as a baby, etc. but there they are. Time and time again, every time a series gets rebooted, there it is.

My gut feeling is to say they should take a page from the really well made, approachable, self-contained graphic novels. They don't all start with the main character as a child. They have a tendency to either approach that in the story itself, through the characters actions and dialogue, or they have flashbacks where they're appropriate. Basically, focus more on the conflict in the movie, and have the plot and characters work around that, not create something in a ham-fisted biography every time they create a Spider-Man or Superman reboot.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By joshmightbe
    @extremeradical: The best and most profitable of the spiderman movie was the second and I think it's because they didn't get bogged down by the origin, same thing with the first 2 xmen movies, and The Dark Knight
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Skald
    @joshmightbe: Maybe it was because people liked the origin story from the first so much. Wouldn't that be something? If the origins were the theatre-going audiences' favourite parts?
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By joshmightbe
    @extremeradical: I can use the wolverine solo movie as evidence against that
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @joshmightbe said:
    " @extremeradical: I can use the wolverine solo movie as evidence against that "
    That was a prequel. Wolverine was already introduced (in fact already overused) by the time that film was released.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By joshmightbe
    @ssejllenrad: I know but that movie was just too awful to be ignored 
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By azza04

I hope they spend about 20 minutes in smallville. This film has no connection to the previous films so a fresh start and a fresh story would be a good thing. You never know they may add some cool new twist into supes origin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

What made the first film so endearing was his origin and life in Smallville. I'd like to see them devote a few moments to that at least.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Billy Batson

I don't know his origin story

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By Gambit1024

Sure everyone knows the origin, but nobody knows the specifics about it. I just learned recently that Brainiac had something to do with the explosion of Krypton.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.