Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is there a difference between Superman and Supergirl in the DCnU?

• 66 results
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#51  Edited By Lvenger

@Durakken: You're making an out of context claim so I see why I can't do the same. And skin area exposition has nothing to do with solar energy absorption. It's the way in which it's metabolised and the feats produced that matter. And pre Flashpoint Superman's feats put him way above Kara

Also. BWAHAHAHA! You really think Kara beat Superman post Flashpoint? LOL that is absurd. I'll get you the scans to prove you wrong. Hang on a moment...

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By z3ro180

@Lvenger: what comic is that scan in anyway ?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Lvenger

@Durakken: Here's the actual set of scans from Superman and Supergirl's first fight in the New 52

@Killemall said:

Oh we are talking new 52?

The only time i have seen Superman fight Supergirl would be , Supergirl 02 (i have read Superman 0 to 12, havent read 13 if its out yet so dont know if it occurred then)

In no instance during that fight was Superman beaten. He was trying not to fight Kara and still tossed her like a ragdoll. There was no instance where Supergirl proved victorious. Please enlighten me where Supergirl won in these scans.

Furthermore, here's Supergirl's fight with a nanite version of Superman that duplicates his powers from Superman 6. She loses to it and then Superman comes along and easily defeats it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Lvenger

@Lvenger: Apologies for the length of that last post but I pretty much think it conclusively proves that New 52 Supergirl is inferior to New 52 Superman don't you?

@Z3RO180: #Supergirl 5 I believe.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By Killemall

@Z3RO180 said:

Supergirl, Volume 5, Issue 05 :)

The previous issue Superigirl fights and beats Lex Luthor and then Flash, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern (John Stewart) and Starfire.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Durakken

@Lvenger said:

@Durakken: You're making an out of context claim so I see why I can't do the same. And skin area exposition has nothing to do with solar energy absorption. It's the way in which it's metabolised and the feats produced that matter. And pre Flashpoint Superman's feats put him way above Kara

Also. BWAHAHAHA! You really think Kara beat Superman post Flashpoint? LOL that is absurd. I'll get you the scans to prove you wrong. Hang on a moment...

Not quoting the other cuz it's just scans and i hate quoting things like that over and over again...

I'm asking for context on the image you provided

The scans you provided is Kara standing equal or better while not knowing whats happening and more just trying to get away and not trying to hurt Clark. Context is important because effects how one fights. Clark beat the nanite version of himself simply because that was his goal. Not because he was stronger or weaker.

As to skin being exposed... yes it does matter. Their cells, via their skin, absorb the solar rays, even if you assume the solar energy is then dispersed evenly through out their body it the rate of direct energy absorption is limited to exposed surface area.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Durakken

@Killemall said:

@Z3RO180 said:

Supergirl, Volume 5, Issue 05 :)

The previous issue Superigirl fights and beats Lex Luthor and then Flash, Hawkman, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern (John Stewart) and Starfire.

and this is why context is important ... after Supergirl defeats all these other people and is exhausted she is then beat by Superman... well sure. They're about even so obviously if one is exhausted the other will likely win lol

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Killemall

@Durakken said:

and this is why context is important ... after Supergirl defeats all these other people and is exhausted she is then beat by Superman... well sure. They're about even so obviously if one is exhausted the other will likely win lol

I dont think it was really out of context, she being tired or exhausted was never mentioned, although lex she streamrolled and the rest she had an unfair advantage, no one was expecting her to go all out anyways.

Also in regards to the bolded part, she never lost. Here's the full set of scans

In this instance Kara (her dark self anyways) looked faster, Superman punch seem to have caused more damage however both managed to draw blood and neither managed to KO either.

Superman is considered more powerful in battle board because he simply has better feats in pretty much all catagories, be it Silver Age , Pre-crisis, Post Crisis or Post flashpoint (havent read a single comics from before Silver Age so no clue on their power level before that).

Also, statement about Supergirl being stronger has also been made, most notably by a superman villain (Blackrock) who manage to beat Superman, but lost to supergirl in the same issue (Superman volume 2, 223, if anyone is interested its from page 19 )

As far as i am concerned they are both throwaway statement, Superman has better feats, i mean much better feats than Kara so he is considered more powerful.

Also when you said Supergirl has beaten Superman, might i ask what issue you are referring to? I have never seen Supergirl even come close to beating Superman in a fight, so i am curious.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Durakken

@Killemall said:

Also when you said Supergirl has beaten Superman, might i ask what issue you are referring to? I have never seen Supergirl even come close to beating Superman in a fight, so i am curious.

Supergirl in their first encounter with each other Supergirl clearly wins in what they did. She gets the upper hand and then stops. That's a win.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Killemall

@Durakken said:

Supergirl in their first encounter with each other Supergirl clearly wins in what they did. She gets the upper hand and then stops. That's a win.

Oh you mean New 52??

Its hard to consider that a win since one was clearly unwilling to fight. Also she gets upper hand because he pretty much doesnt fight at all, also neither is really hurt so that they couldnt continue fighting, neither is KOed, its very hard to call that a win.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#61  Edited By toptom

supergirl has the ability to expel solar energy from her whole body but doing so drains her a little. she was told to be the strongest being in the planet in his own series but the same goes for superman ( helspont said that twice and he has even send some drones to earth to discover that).

however supergirl did not do well in superman#6: she has lost badly to a superman's clone that was later destroyed by the original one.nevertheless she is close to superman in terms of powers.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Lvenger

@Durakken said:

@Lvenger said:

Not quoting the other cuz it's just scans and i hate quoting things like that over and over again...

I'm asking for context on the image you provided

The scans you provided is Kara standing equal or better while not knowing whats happening and more just trying to get away and not trying to hurt Clark. Context is important because effects how one fights. Clark beat the nanite version of himself simply because that was his goal. Not because he was stronger or weaker.

As to skin being exposed... yes it does matter. Their cells, via their skin, absorb the solar rays, even if you assume the solar energy is then dispersed evenly through out their body it the rate of direct energy absorption is limited to exposed surface area.

@Killemall: has provided the context so I don't need to elaborate on that. As for my scans, I don't see how they prove Supergirl to be stronger. Supergirl may not have been fighting seriously but she was still using force to get away. Superman was barely fighting at all and once Kara saw the battle was endangering innocents, she stopped as well. But during the course of the fight, she doesn't get the upper hand. How can you get the upper hand if the other guy's not fighting you? Besides neither Superman or Supergirl is KOed or look hurt at all. That's not a win at all. Once we see a better fight between Superman and Supergirl in the New 52 then maybe you have a case. Until then, New 52 Superman is superior based on better feats.

Edit: As for the instance in Superman 6, Supergirl was losing to the nanite Superman. Even when she got serious, the nanite Superman still managed to defeat her. Kara has shown to be a little less lax about hitting her 'cousin' so you can't use the excuse that she was going easy on him as she clearly wasn't in the fight. Also it's the hero's intention to beat the villain on many occassions. It was Superman's intention to beat Darkseid in Justice League 6. Did he manage it? No because Darkseid seems to be more powerful than him. It was the nanite's intention to beat Superman and repalce him. Did it? No because Superman was more powerful than it. So that's a pretty weak point I'm afraid.

In conclusion, the scans demonstrate that if a weaker, nanite version of Superman can defeat Supergirl when serious, the real deal can do just the same.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Lvenger

@Durakken: See my first reply for an extra answer to your context point in case you think I haven't done so.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Killemall

@Lvenger: Where is Supergirl not fighting seriously with Superman actually coming from? I am really surprised. To me supergirl seem to be rather going at it with pleasure (Assuming we are talking new 52 fight).

Various scans shows this, firstly (Page 06)

She clearly though Superman was lying when he said he was her cousin, so that gives her less reason to hold back.

Page 07 - She feel Superman has actually done something to her baby cousin, that should be enough to get her mad i would think

No Caption Provided

Page 16: she pokes his eye, intending to blind him, and people think she was holding back o_O

No Caption Provided
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Lvenger

@Killemall: Are you saying that in response to me saying it or Durakken saying it? In any instance it shows Supergirl was definitely not holding back and Superman seemed no less worse for wear at that fight. No damage shown so that doesn't suggest Supergirl actually managed to seriously hurt him in the fight.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Durakken

@Lvenger: I stand by thinking that Supergirl is equal or stronger and I call what happened a victory, but I can see how you could see it the other way.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.