Is there a difference between Superman and Supergirl in the DCnU?

• 0 results
#1 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9568 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, is there? I mean, Superman has about 15 solo issues out now plus Justice League and other appearance but for some reason he has never shown these new abilities that Kara has in her book. She is able to expel solar energy like a blast and increase/decrease her bodily temperature at will. So why doesnt Superman use these abilities?

#2 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, it's all up to the writer. Some choose to play up on the more obscure Kryptonian abilities and others just seem to roll with the standard ones.

#3 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

I read two issues of Supergirl. I REALLY hope there is a difference between her new form over her old one. I could not stand her old one.

Best Supergirl is pre-crisis one. EASY.

#4 Posted by Z3RO180 (6431 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: i think superman will be more powerful than super girl in the long run while she gets thoose new powers.

#5 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9568 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180:

It doesnt make sense for them to have differing power sets.....they are both kryptonian. I just hope Grant or Dan start having Superman use these new abilities soon

#6 Posted by AmazingFantasy15 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

In Supergirl's comic it was said she was the strongest person on Earth whether she knew it or not suggesting she is different than normal kryptonians since that means she is stronger than superman and a point was made that there was something unusual and mysterious about her origin which means something happened to her between living a normal day on Krypton and waking up on Earth besides escaping Krypton's destruction so something could have changed her giving her new powers.

#7 Posted by Z3RO180 (6431 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000:no i would say thats a bad ide giving super man new powers

@AmazingFantasy15: i pretty suer supes is stronger

#8 Edited by AmazingFantasy15 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

The world killer in supergirl #6 says she is the strongest on Earth even if she doesn't know it.

#9 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is the strongest of them both. But I remember reading that Kara might have different abilities.

#10 Edited by capelesscrusader (103 posts) - - Show Bio

The biggest character difference would be that Supergirl arrived as a near-adult, complete with Kryptonian attitudes regarding other species. Superman, having been raised from childhood on Earth, is more of a human with Kryptonian abilities.

The difference in Supergirl's powerset is probably a result of long-term exposure to concentrated solar radiation, as opposed to moderate exposure over 20-something years.

#11 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel said:

I read two issues of Supergirl. I REALLY hope there is a difference between her new form over her old one. I could not stand her old one.

Best Supergirl is pre-crisis one. EASY.

QFT

#12 Posted by John Valentine (16307 posts) - - Show Bio

A penis.

#13 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

I always went by the standard of the longer you're in sunlight, the more powerful you are. Clark had what? 25 years on her? That's my theory.

#14 Posted by Omega-Man (761 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny cause DC had given this already before the 52. Supergirl was more powerful and showed a few different powers only for them to retcon it and Superman stated himself he holds alot back and if he wanted to he could blow Kara out the water in power, this was pre 52 Superman and Supergirl. It won't belong till they retcon this change in Kara. It was even said she has different powers as well as the same as Kal EL only because she's female.

#15 Posted by Tyrisis (33 posts) - - Show Bio

At the end of the day (different powers or not) the big difference between the two characters is "Clark" has a human thought process, and "Kara" has a Kryptonian one. That is a difference of night and day.

#16 Edited by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the writers did state that yellow sunlight affects female kryptonians slightly different than male kryprtonians now in the reboot and because of that she would display abilities that Clak doesn't have.

#17 Posted by Adnan (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

The solicit for Supergirl #11 mentions something about new powers. Nothing explicit, I think.

#18 Posted by teamextrodinary15 (2229 posts) - - Show Bio

When you said she can expel solar energy like a blast are you talking about her heat vision or something else?

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio
@teamextrodinary15 said:

When you said she can expel solar energy like a blast are you talking about her heat vision or something else?

Something else, it discharges from her whole body kind of like The Sentry 
#20 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9568 posts) - - Show Bio

So Kara is going to have more abilities (and might be confirmed stronger all around). What do you guys think? 

#21 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

It might be because she landed on Earth as a teenager whereas Kal landed as a baby, his body had more time to adapt to the enviroment but Kara's hasn't.

That doesn't make much sense, does it?

#22 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

So Kara is going to have more abilities (and might be confirmed stronger all around). What do you guys think?

I personally think it's dumb... I mean, Superman and other Kryptonians are already powerful enough and have plenty of abilities. I don't really see the logic in making one even stronger than that and giving her more abilities. I mean, the hell, seriously? What's the point?

#23 Edited by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

So Kara is going to have more abilities (and might be confirmed stronger all around). What do you guys think?

It won't last. Loeb tried this "Supergirl is more powerful than Superman" crap, and it was retconned away fairly quickly. Not to mention Superman will undoubtedly have more and better feats.

#24 Posted by danhimself (22453 posts) - - Show Bio

it's because he's a male kryptonian and she's a female kryptonian....the writer has said that he wanted to give the males and females different abilities

#25 Posted by HolySerpent (12515 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh well

#26 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoggSaron said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

It won't last. Loeb tried this "Supergirl is more powerful than Superman" crap, and it was retconned away fairly quickly. Not to mention Superman will undoubtedly have more and better feats.

Basically this. It will last maybe as long as the current writer does.

#27 Posted by The Stegman (23813 posts) - - Show Bio

Supergirl still can't speak English 

Superman can 

#28 Posted by BlackArmor (6136 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't matter what current writers want to use as a gimic Superman will always be the strongest 1 there is, Super Girl's no competition

#29 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

One is a guy, the other a girl.

#30 Posted by Dernman (14910 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman should be more powerful then Supergirl and it's dumb to make it different.  
I might get behind them giving Kryptonion females different powers maybe but that should mean she doesn't have all of his.

#31 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt that they're going to make any Kryptonian more powerful than Superman.

#32 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Difference?

#33 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dernman said:
Superman should be more powerful then Supergirl and it's dumb to make it different.  I might get behind them giving Kryptonion females different powers maybe but that should mean she doesn't have all of his.
Indeed..Who would win? A teenage girl or an adult male bodybuilder?
#34 Posted by sinestro_GL (3122 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever sells more

#35 Posted by Thorion88 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4 said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

I personally think it's dumb... I mean, Superman and other Kryptonians are already powerful enough and have plenty of abilities. I don't really see the logic in making one even stronger than that and giving her more abilities. I mean, the hell, seriously? What's the point?

To make her a God-Mode Sue? I dunno

#36 Edited by jonathanwint1 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

It was revealed in issue 0 Shes Worldkillers teck. Her Dad built them knew the planet was doomed for years so planned to make her survive anything in Creation.

Worldkillers Are all normally Aliens none Kryptonian except for maybe the Doomday witch there dropping lots of hints about. Well Daddy was Clear He built a More powerful Worldkiller to be his redemption(Revenge Cough) out of his Baby Girl..... So Shes really a MetaKryptonian or a Doomday Girl. Instead of supergirl. He Knew how to Make a immortal and used that knowledge Improved it and Made Kara his Legacy instead of Doomday Worldkillers.He even had her Orbit the sun 20 years to mutate her and grant extra power were her cousin just got the filtered stuff on earth. So there it is Kara a Worldkillers or Worldsaver. He planned this For Years since he was forced to work for doomsday cult. So Kara Stronger than Superman but at the cost of not being Genetically Kryptonian if she could go home her people would Kill her if that was Possible or send her to the phantom zone if that is even possible. Nicely Ironic Shes worse than a Clone and totally alone. Want a bet the other Worldkillers were released by her dad bc he felt guilt for experimenting on them?

As for a girl stronger than superman why not she got better education but its clear hes smarter and a chip of his old man who was like cross between Bruce wane and Lex Luthor .Kara dad might of been even smarter and sneaker But she got her moms brains and her mom shot Kara's dad trying to stop him from sending her of world.(yep she knew the planet was SAFE). Girls need a strong role models Kara works might draw in some female customers.

#37 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Supergirl has always been stronger than Superman and had more powers.

The 2 reasons given...

1) The solar absorption thing doesn't kick in from the birth but rather activates later and so because Kara has been in the direct sunlight while be able to absorb it for as long as Clark has been alive she is that much stronger (roughly 10ish more years more absorption time)

2) All Kryptonians have a general suite of powers under yellow sun, but then they also have extra powers different from each other.

#38 Posted by ComicStooge (12453 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken said:

The 2 reasons given...

1) The solar absorption thing doesn't kick in from the birth but rather activates later and so because Kara has been in the direct sunlight while be able to absorb it for as long as Clark has been alive she is that much stronger (roughly 10ish more years more absorption time)

2) All Kryptonians have a general suite of powers under yellow sun, but then they also have extra powers different from each other.

No. She's never been stronger then Clark.

Give me one actual feat that shows she is, rather then calculate and lip service.

#39 Posted by confirukia (219 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge said:

@Durakken said:

The 2 reasons given...

Give me one actual feat that shows she is, rather then calculate and lip service.

you know this is like the third forum about this,and it wouldn't stop.Everyone has their option on on who's stronger,and i don't think even YOU have direct facts saying that superman is stronger.So lets just close this forum because this isnt going anywhere.

#40 Posted by Onemoreposter (4006 posts) - - Show Bio

@ said:

It was revealed in issue 0 Shes Worldkillers teck. Her Dad built them knew the planet was doomed for years so planned to make her survive anything in Creation.

Worldkillers Are all normally Aliens none Kryptonian except for maybe the Doomday witch there dropping lots of hints about. Well Daddy was Clear He built a More powerful Worldkiller to be his redemption(Revenge Cough) out of his Baby Girl..... So Shes really a MetaKryptonian or a Doomday Girl. Instead of supergirl. He Knew how to Make a immortal and used that knowledge Improved it and Made Kara his Legacy instead of Doomday Worldkillers.He even had her Orbit the sun 20 years to mutate her and grant extra power were her cousin just got the filtered stuff on earth. So there it is Kara a Worldkillers or Worldsaver. He planned this For Years since he was forced to work for doomsday cult. So Kara Stronger than Superman but at the cost of not being Genetically Kryptonian if she could go home her people would Kill her if that was Possible or send her to the phantom zone if that is even possible. Nicely Ironic Shes worse than a Clone and totally alone. Want a bet the other Worldkillers were released by her dad bc he felt guilt for experimenting on them?

As for a girl stronger than superman why not she got better education but its clear hes smarter and a chip of his old man who was like cross between Bruce wane and Lex Luthor .Kara dad might of been even smarter and sneaker But she got her moms brains and her mom shot Kara's dad trying to stop him from sending her of world.(yep she knew the planet was SAFE). Girls need a strong role models Kara works might draw in some female customers.

Hmmm. Interesting. I'll have to pick up Supergirl 0 now. Still, like several other people have said, DC tried this before when they reintroduced Kara for the first time in Superman/Batman. It's like deja vu. They even did the same, "her father experimented on her and she has extra abilities" bit. These "special abilities" came in the form of crystal spikes

They were stupid and quickly forgotten. It was also quickly decided that Superman was indeed more powerful than Kara. I think we'll see the same thing happen here over the next few years.

Also, in the pages of Superman Helspont said Superman was the most powerful being on earth. Here's the scan, it's hard to see so I recommend opening it in a new tab and zooming in. Even then it's a bit blurry. I'll try to find a better scan.

#41 Posted by ComicStooge (12453 posts) - - Show Bio

@confirukia said:

@ComicStooge said:

@Durakken said:

The 2 reasons given...

you know this is like the third forum about this,and it wouldn't stop.Everyone has their option on on who's stronger,and i don't think even YOU have direct facts saying that superman is stronger.So lets just close this forum because this isnt going anywhere.

His feats are superior to hers. That's plenty of evidence.

#42 Edited by confirukia (219 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge said:

@confirukia said:

@ComicStooge said:

@Durakken said:

The 2 reasons given...

what feats!

his and kara's feats are the SAME thing(this is hopeless,you win superman is the strongest!and i bet if i said hulk was stronger than superman we'll have a discrepancy(oops i already said it))

#43 Posted by ComicStooge (12453 posts) - - Show Bio

@confirukia said:

@ComicStooge said:

@confirukia said:

@ComicStooge said:

@Durakken said:

The 2 reasons given...

what feats!

his and kara's feats are the SAME thing(this is hopeless,you win superman is the strongest!and i bet if i said hulk was stronger than superman we'll have a discrepancy(oops i already said it))

Kal-El has bench pressed the Earth's weight for 5 days straight, survive a direct hit from Darkseid's Omega Beams, has ripped through GL's constructs, has tagged the Flash, survived a blast from Hellspont, been knocked across continents and all been a little groggy and has punched holes in OMAC ect...

#44 Posted by confirukia (219 posts) - - Show Bio

@ComicStooge said:

@confirukia said:

@ComicStooge said:

@confirukia said:

@ComicStooge said:

@Durakken said:

The 2 reasons given...

what feats!

Kal-El has bench pressed the Earth's weight for 5 days straight, survive a direct hit from Darkseid's Omega Beams, has ripped through GL's constructs, has tagged the Flash, survived a blast from Hellspont, been knocked across continents and all been a little groggy and has punched holes in OMAC ect...

But don't you think SG can do all those things?Remember Just because they didnt say it in the comic doesn't mean it cant happen.

#45 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9568 posts) - - Show Bio
@confirukia:  
Its already established pre-flashpoint that Superman is much stronger. And when they fought post-flashpoint it can be implied that Superman would whoop her anytime.....
#46 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Apparently some people don't read the comics... where Supergirl has beat Superman several times...

#47 Posted by Lvenger (19121 posts) - - Show Bio

@Durakken: Sounds like you haven't read the comics properly. Superman's beaten Supergirl whilst wearing a Kryptonite ring on Apokolips, the story where Supergirl was said to be stronger than Superman. And Superman's feats put him way above Kara. She wasn't stronger than him before the reboot and after the reboot, a nanite version of Superman beat Supergirl up before Superman came along and whooped the fake Superman. And for final clarification, read this very carefully and note where Clark says "But so we're very clear, I could catch you and I could stop you any time I wanted." She was never stronger than Clark and the feats support that.

#48 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11263 posts) - - Show Bio

What am seeing, ones a d!ck and the other one is Superman.

#49 Edited by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember in an interview before the launch of the new 52, that the writers stated that it really was something as simple as the fact that Kara is female - and that her powers would manifest themselves a little differently.

In issue 10?11? I honestly can't remember which, where Clark and Kara are talking in the Fortress, he states that her ship actually orbited the sun for a while, meaning she had a higher concentration of solar energy before she came to Earth. Clark's has been over a longer period but at a less concentration.

#50 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Durakken: Sounds like you haven't read the comics properly. Superman's beaten Supergirl whilst wearing a Kryptonite ring on Apokolips, the story where Supergirl was said to be stronger than Superman. And Superman's feats put him way above Kara. She wasn't stronger than him before the reboot and after the reboot, a nanite version of Superman beat Supergirl up before Superman came along and whooped the fake Superman. And for final clarification, read this very carefully and note where Clark says "But so we're very clear, I could catch you and I could stop you any time I wanted." She was never stronger than Clark and the feats support that.

Mind giving the book that's from as I'm willing to bet that you've taken out a bit of context. Also one source really isn't enough to say yes or no. Further more, even if you provide that context you are still pull from pre-flashpoint and we're post...in which Superman was squarely beaten by Kara.

That being said... with the way Kryptonian cells work you could easily make the argument their powers are always in flux and thus neither are stronger than the other, but sometimes one is more charged than the other thus making them stronger at the time... but with that I'd have to point out that Kara has more skin area exposed to the sun more often and thus even if you drained them both to 0 and then waited an hour or 2 for them to charge back up Kara would have a higher charge and thus more powerful... unless both of them stripped naked and then Clark would charge faster, but i don't think basing it on them being naked is really the best option lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.