Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is their anyone who doesnt like superman and why?

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I feel a hate thread coming on.

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302  Edited By VinoVash1234

For those complaining that they dont like superman cause he's OP...................just the fact that current thor could beat him and has OP feats, so does hulk, hyperion etc etc and just the fact that he's compared to goku in terms of power, many claiming goku could beat him; proves that his power is NOT the issue. So does everyone now hate thor, hulk, hyperion, goku, etc etc because they're OP?

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#303  Edited By VinoVash1234

@thewhitecrownofphoenix_stormfo said:

So far, nobody has given a remotely valid argument that does apply to almost any other power. He never worked for his powers.... Sentry, Hyperion, Gladiator, Hal (All he has to do is "belieeeeve" *makes rainbow* and thenhe is suddenly top tier.... and the list goes on

Overpowered..... Sentry, thor, Gladiator, Hulk, Wonderwoman, Living tribunal, Phoenix hosts, Green lanterns, Silver surfer, flash. None of them are called "overpowered or vague power list" yet they can all supposedly beat him by blinking him out of existence, willing themselves to do it, running fast, having confidence,

Power levels vague? What about hulk? Where is this limitless anger crap everybody uses... And thor..... and namor... and silver surfer.... even storm..... One minute they get handed to them by street levels the next minute theyre summoning the power of a bunch of stars and making galactic core attacks?

Superman is my favorite hero and reading all this nonsense is a bunch of ignorant bias. If you

People hate superman, not because theres a reason but because they want to.......look at this thread, there hasnt been ONE legitimate reason for hating superman, just one sided, hypocritical bickering.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is a funny thread.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305  Edited By KittyParker13

@vinovash1234: You can't force people to like a character. Sometimes people just don't resonate well with a character. :/ Everyone is going to have different opinions. It doesn't make it wrong.

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306  Edited By VinoVash1234

@kittyparker13: Not liking a character is fine, and if theres personal reasons then thats fine....but look at this thread, not even one legitimate reason, its full of hypocracy; im not forcing anyone to like superman, but if they dont like him, then they dont like him, they dont need to come up with the most hypocritical "reasons" to not like him

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thread like this convinced me Superman needs to be like Goku or anime revamped, he belongs in an anime than a comicbook, Japan loves there overpowered larger than life protagonists.

Avatar image for thewhitecrownofphoenix_stormfo
    Thewhitecrownofphoenix_stormforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kittyparker13: Not liking a character is fine, and if theres personal reasons then thats fine....but look at this thread, not even one legitimate reason, its full of hypocracy; im not forcing anyone to like superman, but if they dont like him, then they dont like him, they dont need to come up with the most hypocritical "reasons" to not like him

Thank you so much for saying this. Look at what the next person says.

Thread like this convinced me Superman needs to be like Goku or anime revamped, he belongs in an anime than a comicbook, Japan loves there overpowered larger than life protagonists.

Do not get any funny ideas of characters from reading a thread. Most of the people in this thread have probably never picked up a superman comic book. (I do not mean probably but definitely.)

Batman-Hush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#310  Edited By Batman-Hush

I actually really like Superman. He simply ticks me off sometimes due to his sanctimony. I also feel he is overpowered. His character can be likable though. It may be the product of bad writing but he can and is indeed overly-powered on many occasions and in many incarnations.

DwightSpitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Superman is your favorite hero's favorite hero.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me... just because he is so much powerful character :D

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me... just because he is so much powerful character :D

And Thor just so happens to be more respected. He just beat Galactus too.

Valdemocnij

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12:

Thor is for me annoying character... which creator can use a existing god from some mythology, and make hero of him... just someone who don't have inspiration and will, to create some new character... and then he make that ''new old god'' under his name !!!

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinovash1234 said:

@jimishim12 said:

Do not get any funny ideas of characters from reading a thread. Most of the people in this thread have probably never picked up a superman comic book. (I do not mean probably but definitely.)

Japan DOESlove their overpowered larger than life protagonist..............then the character becomes another cheesy, cliche fested character, look at naruto for example. Agreed, i doubt anyone in this thread has picked up a superman comic in their life

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316  Edited By KittyParker13

@vinovash1234 said:

@vinovash1234 said:

@jimishim12 said:

Japan DOESlove their overpowered larger than life protagonist..............then the character becomes another cheesy, cliche fested character, look at naruto for example. Agreed, i doubt anyone in this thread has picked up a superman comic in their life

This is a comic book forum. I'm sure everyone has read Superman comics. Don't use ignorance as an excuse for others having a different opinion than you.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

This is a comic book forum. I'm sure everyone has read Superman comics. Don't use ignorance as an excuse for others having a different opinion than you.

I wouldn't bet on that :)

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kittyparker13: doubt it, just because its a comic forum doesnt mean they have. And read my comment prior to that, i dont mind different opinions, but when you have hypocritical, downright lies of an excuse to hate, thats when you know they havnt read anything superman related.

Avatar image for thewhitecrownofphoenix_stormfo
    Thewhitecrownofphoenix_stormforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vinovash1234 said:

@vinovash1234 said:

@jimishim12 said:

Your being ignorant as well. Any one with a computer and internet can get on comicvine. It does not mean they read them. And even then not everyone reading comic books read superman. Most of these peoples "Opinions" are misinformed stereotypes that died out when the Beatles did.... I am fine with having different opinions. Unless you purposely ignored the other persons post for your own convenience.

People hate superman, not because theres a reason but because they want to.......look at this thread, there hasnt been ONE legitimate reason for hating superman, just one sided, hypocritical bickering.

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kittyparker13 said:

@vinovash1234 said:

@vinovash1234 said:

@jimishim12 said:

Your being ignorant as well. Any one with a computer and internet can get on comicvine. It does not mean they read them. And even then not everyone reading comic books read superman. Most of these peoples "Opinions" are misinformed stereotypes that died out when the Beatles did.... I am fine with having different opinions. Unless you purposely ignored the other persons post for your own convenience.

@vinovash1234 said:

This.

Avatar image for scottvstheworld
    ScottvsTheWorld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure about the rest, and I haven't read many of the comments, but I'm not afraid to admit that I used to hate Superman for "being overpowered," even though I love so many powerful characters near or around his "weight class."
    But then I actually read a Superman comic. Not only that though, I watched all of the DC animated movies, and Superman VS The Elite really resonated with me.
    Overall though, I admit that most writers can't handle the task of writing a good story about Superman, which is what usually leads people to believe he's so one-dimensional.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bounced back and forth. I used to love him then I hated him and now I'm back to liking him. His stories aren't that great to me but he does cool stuff.

antimutant001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I hate superman, but mostly because of his fans. They overrate his powers an abilities. The scans and feats are out of context.His feats are out of context as much as superdickery is.Comicbook fans are essentially dishonest and take everything out of context and biased towards everything including there own medium.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people fail to see the importance of morals and honor and the idea that they can be one of the largest weaknesses a person whom can lift mountains can have.

Lex shows good moments as well as bad and he shows Superman over and over that he is needed in the world.

Lex has saved the world and he has teamed up with heroes every time the world was in danger.

He may be bad but Superman has save many souls from the pit of hell per say and turned them around. Brought up not to try to rule the world or tell people how to live life but to do his best and give people all the chances they need to shine at the end of the day.

Batman is not better then Superman and sure as heck Spiderman is not a well because both never climb out of the pit of despair they climb into.

Has the city of Ny got any better because of Spiderman or has Gotham got any less gritty because of Bruce Wayne ?

You often see Superman enjoy his powers , he enjoys flying and looking at the world from space.

I think this speaks volumes to people , Base jumpers would say that flying just above ground at high speed is such a thrill a they risk it all to feel that.

So we have the levels of heroes from Gang Buster to Superman because the threats are in that range.

Street level to galaxy destroying soul snatching watch your back the night can corrupt you.

Superman and his one true weakness is that if you do not have a good heart he will show you what one is.

A hero is not the power they hold or the weapon they use a hero is task they take on and the people they inspire.

A hero is one that plants seed in all those he encounters to change the world for the better.

Never gives up and no soul to him or her is to low to to reach down and bring up.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate Superman. Quite the contrary.

But there's also truth to the phrase "Haters gonna hate". That's all there is to it.

Some people just can't see past their own short sight. They hate him, and that's it.

Some say, he has too many powers. Show me a superhero, comic books or manga, that doesn't have too many powers.

Some say, he's outdated. The only thing outdated was his suit, but ever since the New 52, there's nothing outdated about him.

He has strong and weak points just like anyother superhero. Something that a lot people fail to see. And look only at the weak points.

And of course there's this thing called rivalry. That makes even the sanest person say the stupidest stuff. Just to make a point.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326  Edited By FoamBorn

I really like Superman, when I was little I found a mangled Superman action figure on the ground so I decided to tend his wounds. I felt duty-bound to help him out. I was the kind of kid that felt sorry for Pokemon moves when I deleted them. Then I married him to one of my barbies.

However, I don't like the version of him that "makes our wonders look like nothing" ~ Earth 2. I hate that one with a passion and with very good reason

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328  Edited By Jimishim12

I think I finally know the answer.

Superman hasn't aged gracefully or adapted as a hero in modern times as a product of human customs and values. He's basically a Fundamental Basic Hero Prototype made into a No Limits Fallacy. He's simple and the top of his caliber in all respects, humanity as a default for him is kinda like saying he's the best man in the world but can also be a god on top of that. Lacks style, substance, investment, timing or execution(in terms of making the character feel right with people), and simple put interesting quirks. His casts are arm length from him because of this great and powerful creature and his astonishing life and can't really understand him on a detailed level, plus they are the constant supplements to showcase his godhood over them making them somewhat stagnant plot devices with no depth. His foes are either gods or genius foes, which means he's beyond an elitist protagonist of the highest order(with the best and most powerful threats) for any superhero minus the dark knight quality wise due to the latter using psychopathic themes as a definitive tie to his villians. His arch enemy is kinda dull as shit because all he wants to do is beat Superman with his own power and nothing more but he won't prove it when it really counts because Superman is so far beyond him he has to nerf him to play fair with him and Supermans constant mercy as a Achilles Heel against him. At least Joker gets to fight Batman sometimes fairly and challenges him in fair combat without any tricks.

Oh and one more thing, Clark looks like a Jock and has jock like traits. Overbearing and condescending villians and even his heroes being the alpha dog and the meaty bully to anyone who opposes him. Lecturing people how to do things and taking over things that others have a bigger handle than he does. He fights like a wild juvie convict and looks like he would beat his wife with how he brawls. But that's not true, he's a kind lamb like pacifistic idealist who looks like that rather acts like that.

Thorfan189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#329  Edited By Thorfan189

Hate him thor is way better

ComedicAmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say don't like him, but sometimes I am in the mood for some other character or franchise. Right now, I am in the mood for Invincible, Flash, and Star Wars, but if anything is true, I will have my mood for Superman come back eventually. I know it sounds a little erratic, but I think it's interesting to have the mood fluctuations that I do, because it helps me explore around with some variety in my fiction.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said it before I'll say it again, Superman can't pull off the invincible hero gimmick like most other heroes in fiction can because he doesn't comform to a level of expectation that requires him to act the part of someone with god like might and supreme understanding. He's sub serviant to things weaker than him(human and morality) and follows their own pace like a slave instead of embracing his own natural gifts and comprehending the purest essence of utilizing them for himself.

People like Goku, God Emperor of Mankind, Darshe Schnider, and tons of other OP that would on paper destroy Superman on with a fart, because they act as vastly uninhabited as their power reflects while representing their own beliefs. Superman has rules and guidelines that keep him from being the ultimate fantasy and compelling to read is because at the end of the day he has pre set limatations as a icon and a character that has to keep the image consistently definitive for all Superhero arhcetypes, but this limits his variety as a protagonist and makes him dull to invoke interest in. He can't do anything too unconventional(within his superhero genre) or cannot express as much traits as a general action hero like James Bond or Deadpool(Both are adult ultimate fantasies), he has to only do what is required of him. Be a expression of american values and a message of ideals without the sense of personal freedom that all escapist heroes seem to invoke. It makes him everything that ironically a human being isn't, a perfect standard with none of the imperfect emotions.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I said it before I'll say it again, Superman can't pull off the invincible hero gimmick like most other heroes in fiction can because he doesn't comform to a level of expectation that requires him to act the part of someone with god like might and supreme understanding. He's sub serviant to things weaker than him(human and morality) and follows their own pace like a slave instead of embracing his own natural gifts and comprehending the purest essence of utilizing them for himself.

People like Goku, God Emperor of Mankind, Darshe Schnider, and tons of other OP that would on paper destroy Superman on with a fart, because they act as vastly uninhabited as their power reflects while representing their own beliefs. Superman has rules and guidelines that keep him from being the ultimate fantasy and compelling to read is because at the end of the day he has pre set limatations as a icon and a character that has to keep the image consistently definitive for all Superhero arhcetypes, but this limits his variety as a protagonist and makes him dull to invoke interest in. He can't do anything too unconventional(within his superhero genre) or cannot express as much traits as a general action hero like James Bond or Deadpool(Both are adult ultimate fantasies), he has to only do what is required of him. Be a expression of american values and a message of ideals without the sense of personal freedom that all escapist heroes seem to invoke. It makes him everything that ironically a human being isn't, a perfect standard with none of the imperfect emotions.

Sounds like you haven't read him in a long time.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12 said:

What does that have to do with anything I said, if you don't have anything to refute this than please go **** off.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DeathandGrim2 said:
    @jimishim12 said:

What does that have to do with anything I said, if you don't have anything to refute this than please go **** off.

Confirmed.

Pretty much everything you said was wrong. So that's what what the relevance to my comment was.

Drocta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frank Miller and Zach Snyder don't like him. Why? They're talentless morons.

Rainshadow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is certainly an unusual prospect for a twenty-first century audience raised on darker and more violent 'heroes'.

I was reading a collected edition of the very first Superman comics the other day and you can really see how he emerged from an ideological context, fighting petty street criminals and then Nazis. Wearing red and blue etc.

Clearly audiences today don't find that as appealing. Even his apparent humanity is at odds with the gratuitous violence and imagery of figures like Batman (who now brands some people and kills others) and Deadpool (who demonstrates the vulgar obnoxiousness of today's young people). We don't want to see our humanity on the screen, we want transgressors. This is the age of illegal downloading and social media - traditional conservative systems and personal self-doubt currently have no place.

I think Superman will probably come back in fashion but I don't think anyone is going to be drawn to "the American way" aspect of it in future global times. His reflection of humanity is probably what will once again appeal.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338  Edited By Jimishim12

@rainshadow777 said:

He is certainly an unusual prospect for a twenty-first century audience raised on darker and more violent 'heroes'.

I was reading a collected edition of the very first Superman comics the other day and you can really see how he emerged from an ideological context, fighting petty street criminals and then Nazis. Wearing red and blue etc.

Clearly audiences today don't find that as appealing. Even his apparent humanity is at odds with the gratuitous violence and imagery of figures like Batman (who now brands some people and kills others) and Deadpool (who demonstrates the vulgar obnoxiousness of today's young people). We don't want to see our humanity on the screen, we want transgressors. This is the age of illegal downloading and social media - traditional conservative systems and personal self-doubt currently have no place.

I think Superman will probably come back in fashion but I don't think anyone is going to be drawn to "the American way" aspect of it in future global times. His reflection of humanity is probably what will once again appeal.

Really? can we say Superman's best appeal is his humanity, when that is a primary trait for any superhero? And thats a bit hypocritical to call Superman a metaphor the best in humanity when he's a alien who has near god like understanding and power over almost every creature in the universe. Even I have to say, Captain America and some versions of Spidey make the arguement hit home in being the apex of humanity as far as the ideals of mankind can be presented.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I admire his power and the fact that he's an almighty ideal to look up to.

However he's too much of a boy scout for my liking, just like Captain America.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.