Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is the Hulk stronger than Superman?

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I'm pretty sure Supes could take Hulk in an all out battle.

My question is a matter of brute strength. Who could lift more?

Sparda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Sparda

Hulk couldn't hope to lift as much at the start. It would take a long time, but eventually if something was making him mad enough he could lift as much as Superman and perhaps surpass him in that category.

Short answer: Superman

Long answer: Superman, but with a "but"

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DEADPOOL

Superman, easy.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MrDirector786

Superman is stronger than the Hulk.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Yung ANcient One

probably supes...

Superman has moved planets... eaten suns or some Bull$#!%... like that 

and i mean WHats his weakness? Kryptonite...

Well one time... Superman Lifted a Island made of Kryptonite... yea i kno... stupid... but he did it... so Supes... is PErfect...

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By ssejllenrad

PC Supes is waaaay much stronger than Hulk. Not even Hulk at his strongest angriest WWH version could come close to PC Supes.

Post-crisis Supes (given he's consistent wit Byrne's established powerset) is stronger than the base Hulk. Given enough (looong time) time Hulk will get stronger than Supes.

Right now I believe Supes is going back to his PC days of immense power. (I really don't like it but it's way better than what Bendis is doing to PIS-king Sentry). Superman holding a black hole, destroying ships with mass equal to earth kinda stuff. He easily beats Hulk. Especially if he can just sundip if Hulk suddenly becomes as strong as him.

Omega-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Omega-Man
    @ssejllenrad: Superman currently yes he is more closer to his Bronzeage counter part the only difference between the two though is physics, though pre-crisis Supes could move a planet with his bare hands post-crisis Supes has to be ancoured down to the planet in order to move it. (Unless sundiped he can move a planet with his bare hands)
    Avatar image for thejuggernautpunch
    TheJuggernautpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No .

Lyrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lyrad

I know nothing of Superman...... Can someone explain to me why he is so powerful??    He's an alien, he gets his powers from the sun.... Blah Blah Blah, I know all the obvious......... But is he somekind of Kryptonion mutant?  If his race had survived, would he be just an average joey on his planet? As in, did all his species have his powers?    Or is it to do with our specific sun that gives him his power???

Sorry to sound ignorant to..... Pretty much the most popular comic hero there is.  I don't read Superman, so I have no idea.
    Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Lyrad said:
    " I know nothing of Superman...... Can someone explain to me why he is so powerful??    He's an alien, he gets his powers from the sun.... Blah Blah Blah, I know all the obvious......... But is he somekind of Kryptonion mutant?  If his race had survived, would he be just an average joey on his planet? As in, did all his species have his powers?    Or is it to do with our specific sun that gives him his power??? Sorry to sound ignorant to..... Pretty much the most popular comic hero there is.  I don't read Superman, so I have no idea. "
    me neither.... all I know is he has a HUGE ego, but IMO hulk could eventually become stronger and more durable.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! said:
    " @Lyrad said:
    " I know nothing of Superman...... Can someone explain to me why he is so powerful??    He's an alien, he gets his powers from the sun.... Blah Blah Blah, I know all the obvious......... But is he somekind of Kryptonion mutant?  If his race had survived, would he be just an average joey on his planet? As in, did all his species have his powers?    Or is it to do with our specific sun that gives him his power??? Sorry to sound ignorant to..... Pretty much the most popular comic hero there is.  I don't read Superman, so I have no idea. "
    me neither.... all I know is he has a HUGE ego, but IMO hulk could eventually become stronger and more durable. "
    Bawhahahaha no
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!:  
    There is currently roughly 100,000+ Kryptonians with the same powers as Superman. They were essentially normal beings with no powers. They have a more dense planet which in our gravity and in comparison to a human, his skin is harder to peirce and he is stronger (making him able to jump higher) Kinda like moving around on the moon for us. They originally lived under a red sun (while they were normal). Under a yellow sun like ours their cells get super charged by the yellow solar radiation which gives him his immense powers. He seems to be stronger than the other kryptonians with his powers most likely from absorbing so much yellow solar radiation over the years. If you look at the Kingdom Come Superman he is older and has absorbed so much sun light that he is even stronger than the current superman and is no longer affected by kryptonite. Even Earth-2 Superman that was with the JSA was stronger than current supes bc he was older and had absorbed more solar radiation the the current one 

@Lyrad:
    He doesnt have an ego at all
    ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ThanosIsMad

Last I checked, Kryptonians are exactly the same as humans, despite stronger gravity of the planet. Superman is as normal as can be without solar energy reserves, which is why Luthor handled him pretty good when they fought at the end of Up Up And Away (Luthor lost, so don't take my statement out of context).

Pre-Crisis, Kryptons environment probably had something to do with Clark's depowered physiology, but not anymore.

Clark is stronger than other Kryptonians simply because he's physically fit due to being raised on Earth instead of a super advanced society that had machines do pretty much everything for him, which is turn is magnified by his larger store of solar energy due to him being exposed to yellow suns a lot longer than the rest of his race.

Lyrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lyrad

Thanks everyone, that helped.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#15  Edited By SevanGrim

If your talking FULL POTENTIAL, Hulk destroys superman. Hulk CAN become two or three times stronger than superman before he max's out.
     If your mean their average abilities, Superman.

bumnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bumnut

No he's not, but he can be if he's angry enough for long enough, he can surpass Superman, if he doesn't get ko'ed or taken out.
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DEADPOOL
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " @Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!:  
    There is currently roughly 100,000+ Kryptonians with the same powers as Superman. They were essentially normal beings with no powers. They have a more dense planet which in our gravity and in comparison to a human, his skin is harder to peirce and he is stronger (making him able to jump higher) Kinda like moving around on the moon for us. They originally lived under a red sun (while they were normal). Under a yellow sun like ours their cells get super charged by the yellow solar radiation which gives him his immense powers. He seems to be stronger than the other kryptonians with his powers most likely from absorbing so much yellow solar radiation over the years. If you look at the Kingdom Come Superman he is older and has absorbed so much sun light that he is even stronger than the current superman and is no longer affected by kryptonite. Even Earth-2 Superman that was with the JSA was stronger than current supes bc he was older and had absorbed more solar radiation the the current one 

@Lyrad: He doesnt have an ego at all "
    You got the two mixed up, Lyrad was asking about Superman and Mr. Hulk said he has a huge ego, lol. 

Also, I think you might be combining the two origins of Superman's powers. Superman getting his powers from Krypton being a thousand times bigger than Earth was retconned to him getting his powers from yellow solar energy.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#18  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

The answer is yes and no.

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By WW-Fan

hmm isnt Superman the stronger Superhero in comics?
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @WW-Fan: 
    according to him no. or atleast he states he's fought plenty of people stronger then himself 

@DEADPOOL:

thanks about the mix up. No i didnt even know it was that much pigger than earth i thought it was just more dense. with a higher level of gravity. It wouldnt surprise me if they did change it tho. I liked that origin tho. 

DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DEADPOOL
    @DEGRAAF said:

" @DEADPOOL: thanks about the mix up. No i didnt even know it was that much pigger than earth i thought it was just more dense. with a higher level of gravity. It wouldnt surprise me if they did change it tho. I liked that origin tho.   "

I liked the huge planet origin the best too, it made alot of sense. If I were a writer, I'd probably retcon it so that he did get it his strength and durability from the size of his planet and he got his flight and ocular powers from solar radiation (I've thought that he might be able to use x-ray vision by emitting radiation and could use heat vision by focusing the same radiation).
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @DEADPOOL:
    yea that makes sense to me too. THey probably got rid of that origin bc if he got his strength and flying and durability from just being on a more dense planet than those power levels couldnt go up. When they come from the sun he can absorb more sunlight and have higher levels. I think he could have gotten them from the planet and then the sun could have enhanced them
    Avatar image for _1elderscrollsfan
    #1ElderScrollsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No and Hulk can only get so strong because you can only get so angry.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @#1ElderScrollsFan:
    not according to tests done on hulk by the leader and Samson and an example would be World Breaker Hulk at the end of WWH right before he tells Stark to hit him with the Satellites
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DEADPOOL
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " @DEADPOOL: yea that makes sense to me too. THey probably got rid of that origin bc if he got his strength and flying and durability from just being on a more dense planet than those power levels couldnt go up. When they come from the sun he can absorb more sunlight and have higher levels. I think he could have gotten them from the planet and then the sun could have enhanced them "
    I think I heard they retconned the huge planet to solar rays because it seemed odd that an entire planet of people as powerful as Superman could be killed like that. 

You could be right about wanting an excuse to jack up his power, but I think power augmentations happen without explanations occasionally anyway.
    RATZGobbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RATZGobbler

Superman is stronger, but only because he's a poster boy. I don't hate DC, I'm loving Green Lantern right now, and I'm sure the Superman comics are as good as you all would say, but I think Hulk should be stronger because he is the embodiment of raw power and the fact that Superman is stronger only because increasing his strength was an easier tactic than actually THINKING his way out of it with all those other powers at his disposal, really turns me off from his series which would probably be good. My say on this simply is that Superman is stronger, but shouldn't be.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @DEADPOOL said:
    " @DEGRAAF said:
    " @DEADPOOL: yea that makes sense to me too. THey probably got rid of that origin bc if he got his strength and flying and durability from just being on a more dense planet than those power levels couldnt go up. When they come from the sun he can absorb more sunlight and have higher levels. I think he could have gotten them from the planet and then the sun could have enhanced them "
    I think I heard they retconned the huge planet to solar rays because it seemed odd that an entire planet of people as powerful as Superman could be killed like that.   You could be right about wanting an excuse to jack up his power, but I think power augmentations happen without explanations occasionally anyway. "

yea but while they were on that huge planet they were basically just a vulnerable on that planet as we are on ours making them normal.
    Avatar image for supermandefender
    supermandefender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By supermandefender

Short answer....Either one can be stronger than the other. Supermans strength lies with absorbing yellow sunlight. Hulks is the madder he gets. Both have a unlimited potential. Right off the bat Id say Superman is a bit stronger if he is not holding back. If the fight drags out Hulk will become more powerful. IMO Hulk and Superman are the strongest Heroes in both universes. In physcial strength.  

Not counting all powerful beings like spectre.

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Jotham

Hulk is the strongest one there is! 
    There's about a thousand different versions of Superman, his power levels are different in nearly every comic. Some Superman's can easily defeat Hulk, some would get their butts kicked. I think the average Superman is a little bit weaker than a really mad Hulk, at least regarding sheer physical strength.

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By grimreaper1980

yes he is because he strength has no limit and increases the angrier he gets

Night Thrasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By Night Thrasher
    @Grim said:
    " If your talking FULL POTENTIAL, Hulk destroys superman. Hulk CAN become two or three times stronger than superman before he max's out.  If your mean their average abilities, Superman. "
    I agree with that
    OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By OmegaDynasty
    @Jotham said:
    " Hulk is the strongest one there is!  There's about a thousand different versions of Superman, his power levels are different in nearly every comic. Some Superman's can easily defeat Hulk, some would get their butts kicked. I think the average Superman is a little bit weaker than a really mad Hulk, at least regarding sheer physical strength. "
    Yep depends on what Superman is fighting Hulk. 

No Caption Provided
    Conner Kent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Conner Kent

Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Valtot

supermans strength is limitless to in a way as he could just start sleeping in the sun

Avatar image for valendianknight
    ValendianKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ValendianKnight

The Hulk won't survive long enough to get angry enough to beat Superman.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MrDirector786

Superman is far stronger than Hulk.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Gambit1024

It depends how angry Hulk is

Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Valtot

hulk would have to be at his angriest to fight superman otherwise the fight would end to quick

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

This question is kind of like how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

The world may never know.

Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Valtot

ye well people base hulks strength of his anger and in every arguement its unlimited cause he could spend a few hours getting angrier and angrier which couldnt happen as hed be K.O.D

NaCHoSXxXxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NaCHoSXxXxX

Well depending on which version if Supes and Hulk is fighting then we can actually start presuming things. And to all the people who say " if Hulk can last long enough", remember who Doomsday is? He gave Jerry curl a run for his money. And i'm pretty sure can compete with DD.

Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Valtot

hulk took absolute ages to get the the level he was at in the world war arcs remember so that doesnt just happen in a fight, hulk is not stronger than superman at base and even if hulk after fighting for a few hours got to supermans level with anger superman could do the same thing with a few second sun dip and get more powerful, than take into account 1 hour sundip for superman is a sun soak which puts him at planet moving level than add it up after a few days, weeks etc....  meaning no hulks no where near stronger than superman and as hulk can get stronger superman can also grow far far far stronger
    Mahtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mahtu
    @NaCHoSXxXxX: Seriously?  Doomsday STARTED OUT stronger than Superman.  And he's an alien lifeform that continuously evolves to be the ultimate survivor.  If you ever DO manage to kill him, he comes back to life with the evolved ability to survive what killed him in the first place. If hulk dies, he's just dead.  Also, compare the feats of strength between the two characters and you'll see that Hulk has NEVER even come close to what Superman has been able to do in the comics, which is what you should go off of and not what they could do in theory or who you like better as a character.  And to those saying, "Well Hulk could just get angry and he'd be stronger than Supes", I say, "How angry do you think a person can possibly get?" and "He won't have time to get angry before he's thrown into space and then whenever he calms down puny Bruce Banner will explode from depressurization"
    Mahtu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mahtu
    @Valtot: Haha not to mention Hulk can't follow him into space so he'll have to just sit there and wait for Superman's power to grow. Meanwhile he'll have nothing and noone to be angry at and he'll get weaker.
    Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk's strength is nothing compared to Superman
    Avatar image for evil_terminator666
    EVIL_TERMINATOR666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hulk has survived in space and has liften millions of tons superman on the other hand has lifted Quintillion of tons,hes lifted continents,airplanes,semis,buses,and planets,but when has the hulk ever been quick enough to catch a bullet? ffs superman flew around the earth so fast in the first movie he made time go back,superman with his speed would lift hulk up and throw him into the sun which would only take 20 seconds for superman,if anyone thinks hulk would survive the sun,your stupid!
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By Trodorne

Lets look at the facts of the situation if those two met. Superman is very well known for pulling punches, and he dislikes using punches unless he knows he will not kill someone. so at first he will try to knock out hulk with a few "light" punches. in turn hulk gets angier. rinse and repeat. superman will always try to do a bit more so not to kill the hulk but to sub due him.  in time it gets to the point where superman would just have to pull the hulk into space and take away his air. with current JMS Superman, i think Hulk could kick his head in.

Avatar image for evil_terminator666
    EVIL_TERMINATOR666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont think so superman can fly and stay in the sky or space as long as he wants,hulk on the other hand jumps high into space and lands back onto earth or another planet,superman already kicked the hulks ass in the dc/marvels anyways.
    Band Lone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Band Lone

Sups is strongest one there is!

thewasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thewasp
    @Band Lone:
    yeah your right superman is the strongest :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.