Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is Superman trained in anything?

IamV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IamV

Does Superman know any combat systems? Cause I don't remember ever seeing him throw a kick at anyone, or anything of the sort. 

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By Kallarkz

I know he has training in boxing and has received martial arts training from Batman. 

Superman mentions that he was trained by the worlds greatest marital artist in Superman: World of New Krypton Vol. 1 issue 3.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle

of course....he's Superman, king of random plot device skills

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kal'smahboi

He's mentioned being trained by Batman, so he's a competent fighter. They rarely show him doing anything but punching because it's kind of iconic. It's also hard to show aerial fight scenes in panel form. The movies do a better job.

RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By RedK

he's also trained in varies forms of Kryptonian martial arts

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By roadbuster
    @IamV: It's been ages since it has been referenced, but Superman was trained in Torquasm-Rao and Torquasm-Vo... which can be interpreted as "Hard" and "Soft" styles of Kryptonian Martial arts.  Rao is more physical and offensive, Vo is more meditative, fluid, and spiritual (indeed, including a psychic or astral projection aspect which Lois used once and which Superman used to fight a psychic entity). 

Given how esoteric that is, however, more modern stories simply focus on his combat experience and trained acquaintances who've passed on knowledge over the years.  Just the sheer amount of combat Superman sees in his adventures should render him martially competent.  Technique matters, certainly, but experience is probably the fastest teacher of technique.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ssejllenrad

Anyone got scans on him doing the pressure points on the fellow Kryptonian?

IamV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IamV
    @Mainline said:
    @IamV: It's been ages since it has been referenced, but Superman was trained in Torquasm-Rao and Torquasm-Vo... which can be interpreted as "Hard" and "Soft" styles of Kryptonian Martial arts.  Rao is more physical and offensive, Vo is more meditative, fluid, and spiritual (indeed, including a psychic or astral projection aspect which Lois used once and which Superman used to fight a psychic entity).  Given how esoteric that is, however, more modern stories simply focus on his combat experience and trained acquaintances who've passed on knowledge over the years.  Just the sheer amount of combat Superman sees in his adventures should render him martially competent.  Technique matters, certainly, but experience is probably the fastest teacher of technique.
    Wow that actually sounds really cool, can you tell me what thats from please? 
    @ssejllenrad
    said:
    Anyone got scans on him doing the pressure points on the fellow Kryptonian?  
    Also sounds very cool
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Nighthunter
    AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#10  Edited By AssertingValor

he mostly just swings and hits.............
    The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By The_Ghostshell
    @Kallarkz said:
    I know he has training in boxing and has received martial arts training from Batman.  Superman mentions that he was trained by the worlds greatest marital artist in Superman: World of New Krypton Vol. 1 issue 3.
    No Caption Provided
    azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By azza04

Supes is pretty dam cool when he's written write

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

Yep, he's learnt Martial Arts and pressure points.

MydLyfeCrysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MydLyfeCrysis
    @Mainline said:
    @IamV: It's been ages since it has been referenced, but Superman was trained in Torquasm-Rao and Torquasm-Vo... which can be interpreted as "Hard" and "Soft" styles of Kryptonian Martial arts.  Rao is more physical and offensive, Vo is more meditative, fluid, and spiritual (indeed, including a psychic or astral projection aspect which Lois used once and which Superman used to fight a psychic entity).  Given how esoteric that is, however, more modern stories simply focus on his combat experience and trained acquaintances who've passed on knowledge over the years.  Just the sheer amount of combat Superman sees in his adventures should render him martially competent.  Technique matters, certainly, but experience is probably the fastest teacher of technique.
    Awesome answer. I actually didn't even know this! Good info to have. I did know he claimed to receive martial training from Batman, but I like this aspect quite a lot as well.
    IamV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IamV
    @Gambler said:
    @Kallarkz said:
    I know he has training in boxing and has received martial arts training from Batman.  Superman mentions that he was trained by the worlds greatest marital artist in Superman: World of New Krypton Vol. 1 issue 3.
    No Caption Provided
    oh god yes, that's just awesome!
    roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By roadbuster
    @MydLyfeCrysis said:

@Mainline said:

Awesome answer. I actually didn't even know this! Good info to have. I did know he claimed to receive martial training from Batman, but I like this aspect quite a lot as well.
    You are welcome.  I double checked and I got the terms a little mixed up.  Torquasm-Rao is the meditative form of the martial art and Torquasm-Vo is the martial art... like Tai Chi is to Tai Chi Chuan (Chuan translates to "fist" so it's literally adding fists to Tai Chi).  However both styles are "soft".  The "hard" Kyrptonian style is called Klurkor (with a name like that, is it any wonder I forgot?).  When they were pushing Supergirl as the protege of the Trinity, they had her starting at level one of Klurkor (having learned it as a child back home) then supplementing it with techniques from Batman Earth styles and Wonder Woman's Amazons. 

Here's a Silver Age image (but I assure you that there are modern post-Crisis references to it as well): 

MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MutenRoshi

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.