Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is Superman the most hated superhero?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ssejllenrad

There is little to no denying that Superman has the biggest fanbase in all of comicdom. But is it just me or does he get the most hatred of them all? I mean how many of these "Superman overpowered", "Superman overdone", "Hate Superman" kind of threads should come out? And I'm talking just CV. On other forums I see so much disrespect in Superman respect threads.  

Being hated is not directly proportional to the popularity of the character, ain't it? Look at Batman or Spiderman. They rival Superman's popularity but I see only miniscule hatred towards them (not that I want them hated, I love Batman). What is it with Supes and hatred?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2  Edited By The_Martian

It's popular to hate what is popular.

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By sexy_merc

Funny thing is Spawn, J'onn, Green Lanterns and other characters have more powers than him. He might very well be the most hated hero though, which is absurd if you think about it.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Amegashita

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's hatred, merely lack of understanding of a character and when you don't understand a character you seem to gain a reason to hate said character.  Ignorance essentially equals hatred.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

What's with all the Superman hate? He's cool.  

I could definitely see Captain America being the most hated by the general public. 

caesarsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By caesarsghost
    @Nobody:
    Agreed. Also, for some reason, there is this idea that because something is classic (i.e. pre-1960s Marvel renaissance) that means it is somehow outdated, irrelevant and less valuable- a fallacious idea.
    Those who hate on Superman have no respect for comic history, and I, in turn, have difficulty finding respect for their opinions.  
     I mean, it is okay to have some issues with Superman. He is my favorite and I have some issues with him, but to go so far as to hate on him is another thing. You at least have to respect the legacy and what he stands for.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @Amegashita said:
    "   I wouldn't go so far as to say it's hatred, merely lack of understanding of a character and when you don't understand a character you seem to gain a reason to hate said character.  Ignorance essentially equals hatred. "
    QFT! 

@Gambit1024 said:
    " What's with all the Superman hate? He's cool.   I could definitely see Captain America being the most hated by the general public.  "
    I picture people in Iran saying "Death to Captain America!" Ehehehehe!
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gambit1024
    @ssejllenrad:  

Not just them, I think just about anyone who isn't from America doesn't like the character, lol. Aren't we (I'm from the US)  still the most hated country like ever?
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " @ssejllenrad:   Not just them, I think just about anyone who isn't from America doesn't like the character, lol. Aren't we (I'm from the US)  still the most hated country like ever? "
    Well I'm Filipino so I love the U.S. like a big brother. I wish we're still a U.S. Colony. Things were much better then.

Here in Australia however, the U.S. hate is astonishing. Would you believe Aussie's mock at your "accents"? And we're just talking bout a democratic western-inclined country. How much more hate in openly anti-American countries. 

I think there have always been hatred towards you cause of the U.S.'s unparalleled success. Plus the hate skyrocketed during the W.Bush-era.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gambit1024
    @ssejllenrad:  

Aw man, the Australians hate us? Damn, and I really like them.  

And Bush is just... Ugh, he really screwed us. One of my teachers went to Thailand and they love us. There's Obama stuff EVERYWHERE over there. 
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " @ssejllenrad:   Aw man, the Australians hate us? Damn, and I really like them.   And Bush is just... Ugh, he really screwed us. One of my teachers went to Thailand and they love us. There's Obama stuff EVERYWHERE over there.  "
    Australians have "mild-hate" like "Americans = cholesterol (as if they're not fatties themselves)" or "NFL sucks, Americans are P*ssies for wearing paddings. Rugby is the way" or "US pollutes the world!" or "What's the deal with the baseball diamond? Cricket rules!!!" kind of stuff. Basically ignorant rants. Not really serious matters. 

And if you want Obama-love? Thailand is nothing compared to Indonesia! They love him so much over there, it's as if his Indonesia's president. 

I'm off-topic for so long now so I'd best shut-up already.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gambit1024
    @ssejllenrad:  

Lol, I gotcha.  

So what's the deal with the Superman hate?
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " @ssejllenrad:   Lol, I gotcha.   So what's the deal with the Superman hate? "
    I honestly don't know. That's why I made this thread. I wanted to know what's the deal with the hatred. I'm sick of it. Being a Superman fanboy, it's not easy to take all this hate.
    ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ForbushBug
    @caesarsghost said:
    " @Nobody: Agreed. Also, for some reason, there is this idea that because something is classic (i.e. pre-1960s Marvel renaissance) that means it is somehow outdated, irrelevant and less valuable- a fallacious idea. Those who hate on Superman have no respect for comic history, and I, in turn, have difficulty finding respect for their opinions. "
    And that's why Action Comics #775 owned so much. It took that criticism head on.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gambit1024

I personally don't know HOW he can be hated. He's what a superhero IS. Plain and simple. He was the first of his breed, people should respect that. Not hate it. 

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By WW-Fan

i dont think so! but i am getting tierd of these hate superman threads :/

conformist21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By conformist21

i think it's his "disguise" and the fact he does alotta crap including ice breath and heat beam eyes thus leading to being overpowered,
    and don't get mad at me, i'm not saying i hate him, i'm just putting the opinions of the haters forward.

caesarsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By caesarsghost
    @ForbushBug:
    ha! I had no idea that even existed, but you are absolutely right. Just the title is awesome!
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @ForbushBug said:
    " @caesarsghost said:
    " @Nobody: Agreed. Also, for some reason, there is this idea that because something is classic (i.e. pre-1960s Marvel renaissance) that means it is somehow outdated, irrelevant and less valuable- a fallacious idea. Those who hate on Superman have no respect for comic history, and I, in turn, have difficulty finding respect for their opinions. "
    And that's why Action Comics #775 owned so much. It took that criticism head on. "
    You're right! I love Action Comics 775!
    daken_2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By daken_2513

why so much hate for Supes
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @daken_2513 said:
    " why so much hate for Supes "
    Exactly what I'm asking as an OP.... Do people think I made the thread as a Superman-hate thing?!?
    mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mavfan626
    @Nobody said:
    " It's popular to hate what is popular. "
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DH69

i hate wonderwoman10x more that i hate superman.

daken_2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By daken_2513
    @DH69 said:
    "

"

Whats to hate
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By Magian

They hate Superman because they say he is overpowered. The funny thing is that there are a lot of characters who can do a lot more.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26  Edited By Zoom

The most hated superheroes are Sentry (for being a Mary Sue and causing the entire marvel universe to be downgraded to a supporting role in his story), Vibe (for being a racist stereotype), Robin II (for being a brat and not being half as awesome as Robin I), and Triathlon (for lots of reasons but mainly just for sucking really hard). 

Yes, you hear more people say "I hate Superman/Wolverine/anybody popular" because those characters are the ones they are most often exposed to so if they don't like them, its gonna bug them more and they're more likely to rant about it. 

Still, Sentry, Vibe, Robin II and Triathalon are the characters most universaly hated in my experience.  You'll rarely find a comics guru that likes any of those four.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @Zoom said:
    "
    The most hated superheroes are Sentry (for being a Mary Sue and causing the entire marvel universe to be downgraded to a supporting role in his story), Vibe (for being a racist stereotype), Robin II (for being a brat and not being half as awesome as Robin I), and Triathlon (for lots of reasons but mainly just for sucking really hard).  Yes, you hear more people say "I hate Superman/Wolverine/anybody popular" because those characters are the ones they are most often exposed to so if they don't like them, its gonna bug them more and they're more likely to rant about it.  Still, Sentry, Vibe, Robin II and Triathalon are the characters most universaly hated in my experience.  You'll rarely find a comics guru that likes any of those four. "
    Why not just say Jason Todd? But I do agree with everything stated 
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @daken_2513 said:
    " @DH69 said:
    "

"

No Caption Provided
     Whats to hate "
    Yeah! What's to hate is the question!
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By tensor

i can't hate on a icon superman is like the father of comics everybody know him an love him so rock on superman i give you credit where it is due no hate here an yes he is the most hated superhero example  death of superman no other comic character who dies will be a big a deal as that alot of ppl where happy for that fans were loving it

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By MrDirector786

To be honest, he probably does. I've never seen as many hate threads for anyone else and it really annoys me to constantly see them.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " I personally don't know HOW he can be hated. He's what a superhero IS. Plain and simple. He was the first of his breed, people should respect that. Not hate it.  "
    Exactamundo
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " @Gambit1024 said:
    " I personally don't know HOW he can be hated. He's what a superhero IS. Plain and simple. He was the first of his breed, people should respect that. Not hate it.  "
    Exactamundo "
    QFT!
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By joshmightbe

No Hank Pym is more hated cause he hit his wife once in the 60s despite the fact that many beloved super heros like Mr. Fantastic have a much longer track record of abuse and neglect for their spouses

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    @Gambit1024 said:
    " @ssejllenrad:   Not just them, I think just about anyone who isn't from America doesn't like the character, lol. Aren't we (I'm from the US)  still the most hated country like ever? "
    I'm Swedish, and I like Captain America.  IMO, he doesn't stand for America as much as he stands for what America is supposed to be, and I don't really recall having anything against the ideals he represents.  Plus, Steve is just awesome.
     As for the topic, yeah, Supes get an absurd amount of hate for little to no reason.  I can see how a lot of people aren't into his type of character (being thoroughly good, and far above street-level), but hating him is..redundant.  He practically set the standard for superheroes.
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By Lvenger

How can Superman be the most hated superhero? I know I'm mad because he's my favourite but all the "Superman's so overpowered" argument is rubbish. There are plenty of superheroes with more powers than him. Martian Manhunter, Black Adam, Mister 
    Mxyzptlk, Superboy Prime... the list goes on and on. Modern age Superman is significantly depowered compared to Silver Age Superman. And as for Superman being a "goodie two shoes in some people's eyes" is because he represents the best of humanity. He is the greatest of superheroes and if it wasn't for him, superhero comic books would never have taken off.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

I think Aquaman is the most hated super hero.

csimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By csimon

He is up there thats for sure. It's funny he is one of the most hated and loved all at the same time...lol
    pinchpaker29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pinchpaker29

I always thought Sentry was THE most hated hero... :D Lotsa Love here for Superman! hehe

caesarsghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By caesarsghost

gotta tell ya, I am loving this thread! I agree with everything that has been said here, it is nice to finally see cogent pro-Supes arguments.
    Avatar image for christopherwilliams
    ChristopherWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I  pretty much see like this its either you hate him or love him you gotta respect that man for what he done for the comic book community.

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist
    @daken_2513: Because he is a goody two shoes who can do anything.... at least that is my reason for hating Supes and that fact noone can see threw his disguise it's ridiculous..
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By joshmightbe
    @BiteMe-Fanboy: no aqua man is pitied not hated
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Precise

He's one of my favourites since I grew up, and still is, and always will be.

~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    @CrimsonAlchemist: The disguise is explained in more detail in Superman: Birthright.  It may still not be entirely plausible in reality, but I found the way they talked about it made enough sense to stop being bothered about it.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Primmaster64

Supes IS the GREATEST SUPERHERO EVER!!!!

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ssejllenrad
    @Primmaster64 said:
    " Supes IS the GREATEST SUPERHERO EVER!!!! "
    QFT!
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Primmaster64
    @ssejllenrad: Told ya bro
    Jodin20723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jodin20723

Typically I think that most Hate stems from Fictional V.S. Debates. Most "Superman haters" are typically HARDCORE Hulk, Silver Surfer, Sentry, Thor, and yes Goku supporters. most hate comes from fictional debates that then leads to hardcore venom towards superman. I honestly do not get why people hate on superman, But it makes perfect sence when thinking about it. ALOT of HATE spews towards superman directly due to hardcore fan support of superman when compared to other characters. if you look down the line most superman "Haters" are huge fans of the heros I listed above. thats what i think though.  
    Realpolitix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Realpolitix

Okay, I'll explain my Superman hate, but this is only on a shallow level, but I hope it will speak for some other people. 

First, I'm a Marvel fan. I like, as most people describe, "their realistic personalities and the flaws that come with them". This is disregarding the fact that D.C. might have those type of heroes as well. The difference is, Superman, a leading hero of D.C., seems to have that flawless, unrealistic personality that seems like it isn't obstructed by evil at all. That, combined with the fact that he has an incredible array of powers makes me dislike the character. 

Sure, Marvel has that similar personality with Captain America, but the thing is, Captain America is very close to human in superhero terms, so he fights that evil with only leadership, tactics, and bravery, but rarely by his own powers. Superman seems to take on all that by himself. Thor, Silver Surfer, and Sentry all have their passive moments, because they usually they put their own race before others. 

Honestly, the thing that probably makes me hate him the most is his costume. Yeah, I know, it's classic, legendary, and iconic. I'll be honest, Superman could totally be likable, but if he's fighting crime in spandex with the colors blue, red, and yellow, it becomes too surreal

I'm not a fan of D.C., so naturally I'll be inaccurate with a lot of things, but I hope this clears it up for you guys a bit more.

Jodin20723

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jodin20723

"Thor, Silver Surfer, and Sentry all have their passive moments, because they usually they put their own race before others." obviously you did not Read Superman New Krypton and War of the Supermen. "the thing that probably makes me hate him the most is his costume. Yeah, I know, it's classic, legendary, and iconic. I'll be honest, Superman could totally be likable, but if he's fighting crime in spandex " ahhh really? and the X-men, Spiderman, Thor, etc did not fight in spandex? hell Silver Surfer is naked for crying out loud.. lol just saying :) i do respect you opinion though even though i disagree. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.