Is Superman susceptible to high frequency sounds?

#1 Posted by CannotSpellMyName (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman has super hearing, does that make him susceptible to high frequency sounds? Can he be subdued by soundwave cannons or by simply shouting in his ear? I guess this is not the case as he takes explosions to the face on a daily basis, but I'm still curious. Someone once said that Superman won't be affected by loud noise as his super hearing is actually a form of telepathy (as he is sometimes shown to be able to hear sounds on Earth from outer space which wouldn't otherwise be possible). Have different writers had different takes on this?

#2 Posted by r3d_rob1n (541 posts) - - Show Bio

@CannotSpellMyName: I doubt he would be affected by loud sounds as his ear drum's are just as invulnerable as he is

#3 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3517 posts) - - Show Bio

He's been shown to take loud noises poorly. They can catch him off guard and hurt him quite a bit. There was actually a scene once with Wonder Woman in which they were both in pain from a loud noise and she said something to the affect of, "If it's this bad for me, I can only imagine how much it hurts him!" (meaning Supes.)

#4 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

yes it will work, but make sure you have the element of surprise. It will hurt him big time, but it will only hold him off.

#5 Posted by 0n1zuka (3715 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

He ain't susceptible to nagging.

Edit: I meant he IS susceptible. My bad.

#7 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes it has been shown to catch him off guard and stun him. Because his hearing range can increase or decrease depending on how far he needs to hear (i'm guessing) his ears would quickly adjust their sensitivity to loud sound vibrations.

#9 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

His hearing powers are stupid anyway. He can hear sounds from lightyears away. Yeah cause sounds are suddenly faster than light.

#10 Posted by 9dragons (92 posts) - - Show Bio

If canary screams in superman ears while he is focusing on his super hearing. That might KO him. The fun thing about superman is that there is variety ways to take the guy down, but you just have to play it smart. This is also why Lex gives superman trouble sometimes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.