Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is Superman still Super Smart

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think he should be. Being from a race of advanced people I would prefer him super smart , a fast learner with all the bells and whistles that come along with it.

He would not gloat or anything but I would like to see him build things to solve problems and so fourth.

Has he done any of that lately?

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He read every medical textbook in a span of a few minutes. He has extremely high information processing speeds.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow awesome

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toptom
    Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunetaly we haven't seen, him use much of his brains for quite some time.

For the exception of him learning total human medical knowledge in a matter of minutes, and processing the data of all the types of telescopes in the world in a matter of seconds; we never again saw him use his super-brain in other situations where it could've been of use.

Like during fights and when confronted with problematic situations.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Ιt always depends on the writer. Morrison is the only one who clearly touched on his intellect. And while Lobdell's supposedly was, we never clearly saw it.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Yeah. Lobdell's mention of Superman untapped psionic power, was really good. But unfortunately he never went beyond that.

Maybe because DC was already thinking of introducing the solar flare power, although in my opinion having Superman awaken and use those psionic powers would've been more useful than having a power that regardless of the intensity he uses it, he gets depowered.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Yeah. Lobdell's mention of Superman untapped psionic power, was really good. But unfortunately he never went beyond that.

Maybe because DC was already thinking of introducing the solar flare power, although in my opinion having Superman awaken and use those psionic powers would've been more useful than having a power that regardless of the intensity he uses it, he gets depowered.

Nah. Lobdell, didn't go for it because he just didn't plan it. The idea of solar flare came along after JRJR had already signed for Superman AND Johns came on board.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Either way, it was a great waste of something that had serious potential.

More so because the solar-flare power is revealing to be the most stupid, less credible power Superman has.

Even less credible than talking in the vaccum of space. At least there, I can assume that Superman isn't actually speaking like we do, but just has he can see in the entire EM spectrum, then my theory is that he can modulate his vocal cords to transmit at specific frequencies. Like for example when he's talking to his JL communicator, he modulates his vocal cords to the frequency of the communicator, and when he's talking with another kryptonian they can simply modulate to radio frequency or anyother and has such "talk" to one another.

But the solar-flare... At first the big question was, given Superman power levels and that he released all his stored energy, why wasn't the explosion way bigger. But we had to take into account that he had survived a planet blowing up, and that Ulysses was trying to drain him of his energy. But the second time... He only had to dissipate the Doomsday mist, and he didn't created nowhere near the same level of destruction he caused the first time, so one has to assume he used much less energy, but still he ended up depowered.

Strange!?.... No. Just simple idiocy.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not when Batman is around. He need Batman to explain to him everything in the N52, even how his powers work.

Even though he has a super-computer...built by Jor-El.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not when Batman is around. He need Batman to explain to him everything in the N52, even how his powers work.

Even though he has a super-computer...built by Jor-El.

Or Hiro or Doc. Veritas or or or. New 52 Superman has literally always someone to do his thinking for him.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Veritas is gone. Lobdell didn't even give her an origin. =D

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Veritas is gone. Lobdell didn't even give her an origin. =D

Actually he did. A half-a$$sed one :P

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: what was it?

She was a regular scientist that Superman saved from a black hole or something and as a result she and her colleagues all look the same (Varitas' original appearance). Stupid, I know.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: @squalleon:

Actually it wasn't a black hole but something called the sea of maelstrom. Whatever that is.

And Shay did have some serious potential. Removing her, was another one of DC greatest mistakes in the N52. Before the relationship between Kal and Diana, I actually believed that Shay had the potential to fill in the spot left open by Lois. And incredible enough with all the Origins comics not one had her origin story.

Also she was somehow bound to the Block. And she couldn't leave it without wearing a special suit has seen at the end of Doomed. The why her assistants all looked like her, they never clarified if it was some kind of defense mechanism, she put in place to protect herself or if it was a result of her connection/bound to the Block. After all neither Superman nor Supergirl looked like Shay.

But yeah, Superman in the pre-N52 was much more independent in terms of the scientific stuff. Now, he just relays too much on Bruce, Hiro or Shay (I still hope she'll return). To the point where Bruce knows more about Superman powers than he does. Has seen in Unchained.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Not just Unchained, Batman had to explain his powers to him in Johns' run too.

It's like they went for a younger Superman and thought that youth equals "needs people to hold his hands along the way" instead of a less mature version of Superman.

Brash Superman made sense, stupid Superman does not.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We've all gone through this before. Writers are much more comfortable writing Superman as either dumb muscle or just somewhat clever. They are intimidated by the thought of Superman actually using his full potential. It's practically why Superman has that Superflare in the first place.

The only people that I can think on the top of my head that actually write him as smart as he is strong is Grant Morrison.

(I don't count Scott Lobdell because he sucks...)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.