Is Superman really deserving of an ongoing book?

• 78 results
#1 Posted by ErikMcAlister (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I love DC just as much as the next guy, but I really am curious about the opinion of avid Superman followers. I'm not hating on the guy or the creative teams behind his stories, but I just feel like his novelty has worn off after roughly eighty years. He is an icon that deserves his place on the mantle of comic book history, but there comes a time when a hero must hang up their cape, at least until there are better stories to tell. Since the launch of the New 52, I have seen an increasingly large decline in storytelling from the superhero side of the house, especially from our man in blue. Action Comics is too vast and confusing, not to mention has gone through too many changes, and Superman has been "sub-par" to "ok" storytelling from the beginning. Also let it be known that I'm not hating on the costumes or character changes in terms of looks or personality, I'm just saying that I haven't really enjoyed a Superman related arc in a long time. I could really care less about how the characters look. So don't think I'm jumping on that bandwagon. I just think that it has come time to leave him in the realm of graphic novels or some other form of collection. I tend to get bored and frustrated waiting every month for an arc to fall flat time after time after time.

But like I said, I am not attacking the publisher, the character, or the creators, but I am serious about finding out whether or not I am the only person who feels this way.

#2 Edited by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, he deserves two :P

If you don't like it, don't read it. There are plenty of people who do, hence why Superman has two ongoings and used to have more.

#3 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Remi said:

If you don't like it, don't read it. There are plenty of people who do, hence why Superman has two ongoings and used to have more.

This.

He had 4 at one point. Superman, Adventures of Superman, Man of Steel and Action Comics.

#4 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8867 posts) - - Show Bio

@Emac said:

not to mention has gone through too many changes, and Superman has been "sub-par" to "ok" storytelling from the beginning.

Kingdom Come, Red Son. Up Up and Away disagree. Superman is awesome.

#5 Posted by lronMan (29 posts) - - Show Bio

@Remi said:

#6 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33472 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course he does, stupid question is stupid 

#7 Posted by ErikMcAlister (32 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys, I'm not complaining. Please don't think this is one of those "if you don't like it, don't read it" situations. I'm just curious if I'm the only one that feels this way. That can't be possible. I can't be the only person that thinks Superman has run his course. I understand where you're coming from though, both of you. I'm just hoping that someone can see where I'm coming from as well.

#8 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Crom-Cruach said:

@Emac said:

not to mention has gone through too many changes, and Superman has been "sub-par" to "ok" storytelling from the beginning.

I think he meant the current Superman title, which is kinda lacking, honestly. Action Comics is cool though.

#9 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@Crom-Cruach said:

@Emac said:

I think he meant the current Superman title, which is kinda lacking, honestly. Action Comics is cool though.

I think the most recent GREAT Superman story was Morrison's All-Star.

#10 Posted by ErikMcAlister (32 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: I agree that All-Star was great, but that is my point exactly, it didn't last forever. It worked really well for a while, but it ran its course. The momentum came to a natural end, like every Superman story does, but for some reason they just keep going with almost no momentum. That is what I'm saying. Maybe ongoing isn't the best possible option for the evolution of the character.

#11 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course you're not alone. Statistically that would be impossible.

I'm in some sort of an agreement with you. AC has been the better title than Superman because it doesn't focus on just Superman as often as Superman does..

Superman lacks of good stories when people name the same ten or so over and over.

Love the character though and wouldn't want him not to have an ongoing.

#12 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm know where you're getting at. Superman's the symbol of superheroes and should go down in history as that. The New 52 isn't going to change the fact that Superman's the poster boy for Superheroes everywhere. When people think Superman, they think of the old school Superman who went around saving everyone. Trust me, this won't change anything.

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33472 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emac: That character hasn't ran his course, there is just a severe lack of writers with the balls (and talent) to write him
#14 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course he deserves it.

#15 Edited by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

Of course he does, stupid question is stupid

okay, this is the third time in 2 days I've agreed with you completely......I'm starting to get scarred

#16 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Emac: It all depends on who writes him. I personally believe Morrison is the best comic book writer at the moment. So naturally, I'd love AC. In recent times, Johns has told some good Superman stories: Last Son; Superman & Legion of Superheroes & Brainiac. I'm not a fan of James Robinson at all. So all that build up with New Krypton sucked the second Greg Rucka (who I also love) left. Then Cornell came onto Action with Lex as the lead and that was amazing.

Then the reboot came. I'm enjoying Action Comics. Superman, not so much. However I did stop half way through Perez's run. I might force my way through it to catch up for Lobdell's run.

#17 Posted by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes because he's superman

#18 Edited by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's say Batman was having a bat run right now. Would it be right to start a 'Does Batman deserve an ongoing book' thread?

Superman has just as much potential for storytelling as any other character.

The real question of this thread should be 'does batman deserve so many books?'

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33472 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@spiderbat87 said:

okay, this is the third time in 2 days I've agreed with you completely......I'm starting to get scarred

.... then there is ether a glitch in the matrix or a disturbance in the force 
#20 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Remi said:

I'm in some sort of an agreement with you. AC has been the better title than Superman because it doesn't focus on just Superman as often as Superman does..

Superman lacks of good stories when people name the same ten or so over and over.

How many other characters do you know for whom you can name more than ten good stories? (and I'm pretty sure I could name far more than ten good stories. We name those ten because they're awesome).

#21 Posted by longbowhunter (7098 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think anyone should have an ongoing just outta shear popularity of the character. There are too many creative teams out there telling half hearted stories and editors letting them for the sake of sales.

#22 Edited by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I fear Micheal Bay has caused an explosion so large that he has created a disturbance (or glitch) in the Force (or Matrix) that allows us to actually agree......if this is true than the world shall soon be doomed

#23 Posted by ErikMcAlister (32 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

Let's say Batman was having a bat run right now. Would it be right to start a 'Does Batman deserve an ongoing book' thread?

Superman has just as much potential for storytelling as any other character.

The real question of this thread should be 'does batman deserve so many books?'

1. It's not a question of whether or not it's right. I'm just inquiring.

2. If he has all of this potential, where are the good stories? Potential without substance is just potential. I don't spend money on potential. This isn't the stock market.

3. But I do agree about not needing so many titles.

#24 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand your point that with how long the character has been around you wonder if there is anything new to do with them or if your just spinning your wheels. In this case though it is not just another character, but Superman, who is more of an institution. In the end the sales numbers tend to show there are more than enough people who think it is worthwhile even after all these years

#25 Posted by ErikMcAlister (32 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

I don't think anyone should have an ongoing just outta shear popularity of the character. There are too many creative teams out there telling half hearted stories and editors letting them for the sake of sales.

If there were a nail, I think you hit it right on the head.

#26 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13190 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Yes he does.

#27 Posted by The Stegman (24459 posts) - - Show Bio
Yes he deserves it, more than anyone. And no, he hasn't run his course.
#28 Posted by ErikMcAlister (32 posts) - - Show Bio

@Brazen_Intellect said:

I understand your point that with how long the character has been around you wonder if there is anything new to do with them or if your just spinning your wheels. In this case though it is not just another character, but Superman, who is more of an institution. In the end the sales numbers tend to show there are more than enough people who think it is worthwhile even after all these years

Ok I feel you, but the last time I checked: institutions become landmarks and once it has come to that, no one is allowed to fuck with it. So why all the constant changes? Also, if there were going to be changes, why can't they be good ones?

#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33472 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@spiderbat87 said:

@BlackArmor said:

@spiderbat87 said:

I fear Micheal Bay has caused an explosion so large that he has created a disturbance (or glitch) in the Force (or Matrix) that allows us to actually agree......if this is true than the world shall soon be doomed

......I'm scared!
#30 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@Remi said:

How many other characters do you know for whom you can name more than ten good stories? (and I'm pretty sure I could name far more than ten good stories. We name those ten because they're awesome).

The Goddamn Batman :P, Green Lantern and the Flash just out of the League. Funny, when you look at the other leaguers and compare them to Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman (and MM though he's only had one ongoing so he can almost be left out :P) lack of great stories.

Pffft, someone's going to disagree with those other picks anyway. 'We name those ten because we forget the rest :P

#31 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

@Emac said:

@longbowhunter said:

If there were a nail, I think you hit it right on the head.

I agree with the notion, but this is an imperfect world, in which comic companies need to put profit over strong story telling.

#32 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4733 posts) - - Show Bio

If I don't like something I don't read it. I don't pay any attention to it, let alone create threads about it. For instance, I never really cared for Batman. I don't get why he has so many books. I don't understand the timeline of the reboot. I don't understand fans using clichés like "Bruce Wayne is the mask." Still, others like him so he's relevant. The reboot didn't help any characters, really. Perhaps you should have made the purpose of the thread a little more clear instead of baiting them and ending it with "am I the only one," but the replies I pretty much expected before I clicked on it.

#33 Posted by Brazen_Intellect (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

@Emac said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Ok I feel you, but the last time I checked: institutions become landmarks and once it has come to that, no one is allowed to fuck with it. So why all the constant changes? Also, if there were going to be changes, why can't they be good ones?

The New 52 is a last ditch effort by DC to try to save their comics line or at least delay its further decline. If sales were not tanking so bad they would never have risked alienating the fans with the drastic changes. I really do not follow DC regularly and have only read some of the reboot issues so I really have no opinion on the quality, not enough knowledge to warrant giving one.

#34 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

It all boils down to:

Q: Does Superman make money?

A: Yes!

Ergo, he gets an ongoing.

As far as quality goes, Superman has his ups and his downs, as does any character. Just because the Superman title is extremely lackluster does not mean that Superman is somehow undeserving of a chance to have stories written about him.

#35 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a cultural Icon on the level of Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny. He's far more deserving of an on going than 90% of the characters Marvel and DC are giving huge pushes.

#36 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Remi said:

The Goddamn Batman :P, Green Lantern and the Flash just out of the League. Funny, when you look at the other leaguers and compare them to Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman (and MM though he's only had one ongoing so he can almost be left out :P) lack of great stories.

Pffft, someone's going to disagree with those other picks anyway. 'We name those ten because we forget the rest :P

How many actually good stories can you name for Batman? Stories that aren't just okay but actually stand out fom the crowd? Likewise for Flash and Green Lantern, whose success, I should add, is mainly result of them having an awesome long-run writer which has also had a very good run on Superman.

@Remi said:

That's true, but that's the point. We all agree on those Superman stories because they are some of the best ever. In comparison I don't think anything past Sinestro Corps war has been actually good in Green Lantern, but I think that, wih a few exceptions, most Superman stories between Infinite Crisis and Flashpoint have been pretty good. Just because one of his titles has hit a little dry spell recently is not cause to exclaim that he lacks good stories. You just have t find them.

#37 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

How many actually good stories can you name for Batman? Stories that aren't just okay but actually stand out fom the crowd? Likewise for Flash and Green Lantern, whose success, I should add, is mainly result of them having an awesome long-run writer which has also had a very good run on Superman.

Other users of CV made a list of top 100 Batman stories for me just look it up since I'm too lazy to type them all ];

Don't really agree with all of them though but majority of readers do.

Please, Mark Waid's first run was awesome too :P

I've noticed that some tend to ignore Johns' run on AC at times, don't know why, thought he was great too.

@AtPhantom said:

That's true, but that's the point. We all agree on those Superman stories because they are some of the best ever. In comparison I don't think anything past Sinestro Corps war has been actually good in Green Lantern, but I think that, wih a few exceptions, most Superman stories between Infinite Crisis and Flashpoint have been pretty good. Just because one of his titles has hit a little dry spell recently is not cause to exclaim that he lacks good stories. You just have t find them.

Past SCW? Johns run was/is solid. Only his events tend to run out of steam.

Not just recently. There was a long dry spell in 90's for Superman (and others) during those action & extreme times.

#38 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

@spiderbat87:

#39 Edited by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

If you don't like the book, fine, but his books sell and that's all that matters. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean others don't. People need to learn that taste varies.

#40 Posted by WildBeastBoy (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Heck yes he deserves it! Superman is most iconic superhero of all time.

#41 Posted by ErikMcAlister (32 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

If you don't like the book, fine, but his books sell and that's all that matters. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean others don't. People need to learn that taste vary.

That isn't the point at all. Taste is not the point. Obviously different people have different tastes.

#42 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

@Emac said:

@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:

If you don't like the book, fine, but his books sell and that's all that matters. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean others don't. People need to learn that taste vary.

That isn't the point at all. Taste is not the point. Obviously different people have different tastes.

And yet you said, "Since the launch of the New 52, I have seen an increasingly large decline in storytelling from the superhero side of the house, especially from our man in blue. Action Comics is too vast and confusing, not to mention has gone through too many changes, and Superman has been "sub-par" to "ok" storytelling from the beginning. Also let it be known that I'm not hating on the costumes or character changes in terms of looks or personality, I'm just saying that I haven't really enjoyed a Superman related arc in a long time. I could really care less about how the characters look. So don't think I'm jumping on that bandwagon. I just think that it has come time to leave him in the realm of graphic novels or some other form of collection. I tend to get bored and frustrated waiting every month for an arc to fall flat time after time after time."

#43 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

He's absolutely deserving of good on-going titles.

#44 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

Really do we really have to explain he is the freaking Superman the most iconic character of all time with Batman.

#45 Posted by joshmightbe (24885 posts) - - Show Bio

@JoseDRiveraTCR7: What you should really be saying is that he needs a better writer, or at least one who understands the character better. I do agree he hasn't received the best treatment lately but as far as I'm concerned the Original Flagship character of the whole Superhero genre always has a place on the rack.

#46 Edited by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

Uhhh..yes.

Has anyone been reading SMALLVILLE Season 11?

Now those are Superman stories. Two issues in and it blows Superman's entire new 52 run out of the water.

#47 Edited by Funrush (1369 posts) - - Show Bio

@Emac said:

Guys, I'm not complaining. Please don't think this is one of those "if you don't like it, don't read it" situations. I'm just curious if I'm the only one that feels this way. That can't be possible. I can't be the only person that thinks Superman has run his course. I understand where you're coming from though, both of you. I'm just hoping that someone can see where I'm coming from as well.

I think it is a "if you don't like it, don't read it" situation, because you are implying that you wish for Action and Superman to end. That will only happen if people stop reading his books. If others agree with you, then his book will be cancelled, if not then you are one of the very few.

@Kallarkz said:

Uhhh..yes.

Now those are Superman stories. Two issues in and it blows Superman's entire new 52 run out of the water.

It's really that good? Sounds interesting.

#48 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:

@JoseDRiveraTCR7: What you should really be saying is that he needs a better writer, or at least one who understands the character better. I do agree he hasn't received the best treatment lately but as far as I'm concerned the Original Flagship character of the whole Superhero genre always has a place on the rack.

Mak Waid...
#49 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlueLantern1995 said:

@Kallarkz said:

Uhhh..yes.

Blowing New52 out of the water doesn't take much effort(only a few are good). Marvel's worst title already does that(and mind does Marvel have some bad ones).

The entire New 52? I'm pretty sure I was just referring to Superman's New 52 title itself. And yes..it has been mentioned several times that it is bad.

Can people use idioms these days without people over analyzing it?

Just read the book.

#50 Edited by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz said:

Uhhh..yes.

It's really that good? Sounds interesting.

it definitely is.

Just grab the first issue and see for yourself. I enjoyed it a lot

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.