Is Superman Killing in the New 52?

#1 Posted by poze (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry I think this kind off topic already exist but I was wondering since I recently started reading the New DCU Superman comics you actually see him Killing aliens and in Justice League Parademons. What is wrong with him?

#2 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

Silly, Poze. Aliens aren't people. Killing them doesn't count.*

*Statement not reflective of Smith's actual opinions. Aliens are totally people and anyone who kills them is a bad, bad, man. Down with Superman. Brought to you by Wayne Industries. Wayne Industries: Our boss is NOT Batman!

#3 Posted by Lvenger (19405 posts) - - Show Bio

@poze said:

Sorry I think this kind off topic already exist but I was wondering since I recently started reading the New DCU Superman comics you actually see him Killing aliens and in Justice League Parademons. What is wrong with him?

I haven't seen him kill aliens but as for the parademons, they don't actually look alive. There are metallic bits in them if you look closely and although they contain recycled organic matter, they don't seem to be actually alive. As such, Superman cleaning their clocks is alright though there was no indication of that in the issue. That was the worst thing.

#4 Posted by polo327 (58 posts) - - Show Bio

@poze: The parademons weren't alive, when Darkseid's towers were destroyed the parademons all just shut down.

@Lvenger said:

@poze said:

I haven't seen him kill aliens but as for the parademons, they don't actually look alive. There are metallic bits in them if you look closely and although they contain recycled organic matter, they don't seem to be actually alive. As such, Superman cleaning their clocks is alright though there was no indication of that in the issue. That was the worst thing.

Awesome disclaimer

#5 Posted by poze (225 posts) - - Show Bio

But In on issue don't remember which one he says that he has too save somebody before he can kill the alien(the ice one) and in the first one he killed the flame alien

#6 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: @poze said:

But In on issue don't remember which one he says that he has too save somebody before he can kill the alien(the ice one) and in the first one he killed the flame alien

He totally tried to kill the living flame alien in issue 1, I reread it and the narration says that Superman assumed it needed oxygen to survive....so he through it into space

#7 Posted by Lvenger (19405 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise said:

He totally tried to kill the living flame alien in issue 1, I reread it and the narration says that Superman assumed it needed oxygen to survive....so he through it into space

Yeah thing is it wasn't alive. It was comprised of alien nanites and obviously it wasn't alive. Just like with the Parademons. As for the Ice alien, when he saw that Heather was at its centre, he explicitly said "I can't do this. There has to be some other way. I won't kill." Then he broke the ice alien's hold over Metropolis and Heather appeared fine and well. So that proves he still hasn't killed in the New 52. He has acted a bit rougher towards criminals but he still hasn't killed. The fire and ice aliens weren't alive.

#8 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Excellent post. Lvenger covered it brilliantly. All the aliens that Kal "killed" or attempted to weren't organic life forms.

#9 Posted by Lvenger (19405 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: I had to dig out the issues to make sure I was right. I'd buried them at the bottom of a comic storage box as they weren't deserving of the top spot.

#10 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: HA! Don't blame you mate.

#11 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@Lvenger: All the aliens that Kal "killed" or attempted to weren't organic life forms.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33091 posts) - - Show Bio

Over at Marvel the kill Skrulls and giant spider pepole all the time and nobody complains 

#13 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@KnightRise said:

Yeah thing is it wasn't alive. It was comprised of alien nanites and obviously it wasn't alive. Just like with the Parademons. As for the Ice alien, when he saw that Heather was at its centre, he explicitly said "I can't do this. There has to be some other way. I won't kill." Then he broke the ice alien's hold over Metropolis and Heather appeared fine and well. So that proves he still hasn't killed in the New 52. He has acted a bit rougher towards criminals but he still hasn't killed. The fire and ice aliens weren't alive.

I know. But they should have made it clear right away. Otherwise it seems like Superman was slaughtering Parademons and murdering the aliens.

#14 Posted by Lvenger (19405 posts) - - Show Bio

@KnightRise: I agree with you on the Parademons. But in Superman 1, it was called alien fire and didn't look alive or sentient. So Superman depriving it of oxygen wasn't too big a deal for me. Besides if it really was an alien fire creature, he probably just dissipated it in space.

#15 Posted by poze (225 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: and what about the ice alien? She looks like a human too me!

#16 Posted by Lvenger (19405 posts) - - Show Bio

@poze: The nanites did inhabit Helena that part is true. But what you're forgetting is the fire alien, invisible alien and ice alien all had human hosts. The nanites were not sentient themselves, they only lived in Superman's suit and moulded their function based on his powers.

For instance the fire alien was based off the nanites being exposed to heat vision so they became living fire. The invisible alien was a response to Superman's super visionary powers, that response being a creature that Superman could not see. And the ice alien was created by Superman's super breath.

All of which were not sentient beings but had human hosts they used to become the aliens. And if you read the issues, you'll see none of the human hosts were killed by Superman. That's why Superman hasn't killed in the New 52 as of yet

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.