Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is Superman Immortal?

• 120 results
    Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@shadowhuntr:

No. Actually he really died. Go back read the comic again, you'll see him and the Eradicator having a little chat while they try to find Cyborg Superman, and during that little talk, the Eradicator says "I don't understand your surprise Kal-El. After all if it wasn't for me, you'd still be dead." to which Superman said "But I wasn't dead. It was a sort of coma. Right?" to which the Eradicator answered "No Kal-El. Try to understand. You were in every meaning of the word, Dead. During your fight with Doomsday your huge reserves of solar energy got almost entirelly depleted. It was only thanks to the regeneration matrix in combination with my energy powers, that the impossible was achieved." to which Superman responded "Then it seems I owe you much more than just my life."

That last part where he says he owes the Eradicator much more than just his life was due to the fact that the Eradicator also took up the mantle of Superman and started defending the helpless, and also because he had saved him from Hank Henshaw (aka Cyborg Superman from pre-flashpoint) attacks early on.

So he was dead, dead. The only part about the coma, was in the animated movie they did a few years back, that showed him fighting Doomsday, seemingly dying, but in fact in order for his body to heal itself back from such damage, it went into a kind of induced coma in order to save every bit of stored energy he still had.

Hope, this helps you.

Spazzoutfelton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say yes if you cunt Superman prime.

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

randell1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rein: not true lobsters can die of old age. they can stop shedding and even some times die in the shedding process they can get so old they no longer are capable of shedding and as such will eventually die of old age.

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Superman is immortal because he never really died .

kingofnerds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see any reason why his character arch couldn't approach it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No he can die. Maybe not under a yellow sun, but he can die.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think any character is for the story line they are in.

Superman more so then any other with his cells that Regen faster and always replace themselves.

I wonder why he does not have any ESP with the advance minds of the Krytptonian race.

It all comes down to story line and nobody does a story where Lois dies of old age and what he does with his time after that Not a big fan of big blue being a cry baby for a few thousand years it is what killed the Highlander movies.

What wonders you could see if you lived that long and you better live that long if you had the powers Clark has to explore and see new things or meet new people. I mean talk about truly blessed. Just waiting on a good writer to put it into a awesome story and we are set for popcorn and beer ooops I mean soda.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's as immortal as he is invulnerable. Which, if read literally, means not so much. In essence, Superman is "just" ridiculously durable and extremely long-lived.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's immortal as long as he is under yellow sun. That means he can't die of old age or sickness, but he still can be beaten to death by physical or magical force.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How long was Kal-El "dead" for in the Reign of Supermen story, before he came back?

SHIKADOTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkknight96000: yes superman is inmortal he can live forever and he can't stay dead as long as there is a yellow or blue sun even if he's turned into dust he's going to come back to life it has been proven in the comics btw I'm a Superman/Kryptonian Expert.

theredhood44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

RECKLESSbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By RECKLESSbat

He is not immortal and I don't want him to ever attain immortality, but as long he is under a yellow sun he should not grow old, it just doesn't make sense for him to age as long as his regenerative factor is in the picture. Ageing should not be a thing for superman when he can regenerate back from this:

No Caption Provided

and this:

No Caption Provided

Superman doesn't just heal, he regenerates and that clearly prevents superman from being at anything but peak physical condition which would prevent the ageing process from ever occurring as long as he is under a yellow sun.

greenarrow5476

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By greenarrow5476

No but he can live for a very long time under the sun.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long light reaches him, yes, however according to the consecutive accelerated expansion of the universe, the matter is destined to indefinitely devide, at this point any sun won't exist anymore and without sunlight, Superman dies.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

As long as we are talking strictly about aging related immortality and not being murdered? He likely can live that long assuming nothing kills him before then.

GersonH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answer is Yes and No, Yes; Superman is vastly durability and his regeneration healing factors make him near Immortal. He can live without gating age, if he stay very close to sun (yellow, blue) as we seen in Superman Prime one million. So, I use youtube animate and use https://pt.savefrom.net/

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If I remember correctly he was recently established as actually immortal or at the very least very very very very very long lived. But this doesn't mean he can't be killed if that makes sense. He just won't die from age.

LukaDoncicmvp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can die if u dismember him, other than that Eradicator can bring him back.

Avatar image for legendarykal-el
    LegendaryKal-El

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and no

Superman has shown he can live billions of years and still look like he hasn’t aged past his prime but other Kryptonians like Zod and Kara have shown signs of aging

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.