Is Superman Immortal?

  • 89 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by DarkKnight96000 (726 posts) - - Show Bio

1. Is Superman immortal?
 
2. If not does he have the potential to become immortal?

#2 Posted by cascadeking09 (6698 posts) - - Show Bio

he's almost immortal but he can die of old age but he can live for 100's of years. i dont know how he would become immortal and he probably wouldnt want to.

#3 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

He probably is, and if he's not, he has the potential. He has lived for millions of years in several different timelines.

#4 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:

"He probably is, and if he's not, he has the potential. He has lived for millions of years in several different timelines. "


@cascadeking09 said:

"he's almost immortal but he can die of old age but he can live for 100's of years. i dont know how he would become immortal and he probably wouldnt want to. "


@DarkKnight96000 said:

"1. Is Superman immortal?  2. If not does he have the potential to become immortal? "



no hes not immortal, yes he can become immortal. Google SUPERMAN PRIME ONE MILLION.  
 
In the 853rd century the original Superman ("Superman Prime") still lives, but has spent over fifteen thousand years in a self-imposed exile in his Fortress of Solitude in the heart of the Sun, although he has left descendants, including "Kal Kent", the Superman of the 853rd century    
#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

So does that mean that DC has an entire race who a super inmortal beings?

#6 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" So does that mean that DC has an entire race who a super inmortal beings? "
on their home planet they're not, only under the yellow sun...it's all potential...some crazy people in real life think humans have the potential to be gods, it's the same idea
Moderator
#7 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15040 posts) - - Show Bio

According to DC One Million

#8 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

I see...

#9 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know, DC has been toying with the idea that he can't die for a long time now. If I recall correctly, in DC one million, he's lived quite a long time as just Superman, before gaining the gold finish and all the crazy powers...

#10 Posted by rein (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

No. But like A lobster, aging can not kill him, so long as he is in the yellow sun.

#11 Posted by rein (1315 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
Give us 5 or 10 thousand years at the current rate of progress and i don't think they will be all that off.
#12 Posted by King Saturn (225088 posts) - - Show Bio
I think Superman is Immortal... 
#13 Posted by dementedtheclown (744 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes

#14 Posted by deadpool101 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

DC One Million is kinda.......well.......there's Robin the toy wonder, Captain Marvel is a bearded guard of the rock of eternity w/ a red headed loser sidekick, Flash is in blue and Batman is kinda lame.........DC One Million is kinda strange, and shouldn't be taken seriously. It's an alternate future anyway (or atleast that's what I was told). 
 
But, anyways, I don't think Superman is immortal, but he is EXTREMELY long lived. As in he could live for hundreds of years.

#15 Posted by Mahtu (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is not TECHNICALLY immortal because there are things that can kill him.  On any planet without kryptonite and with a never-ending yellow solar supply, however, I believe he could potentially live forever.

#16 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11268 posts) - - Show Bio

He is not, but has the potential to evolve to be immortal. As everyone else is saying, DC One Million clarified that. And that was Morrison who wrote that. So you know it's a good writer and not a crappy fanboy one.
 
Thing that gets me is, if he spent a million years in a yellow sun and gained all these almost nigh-omnipotent powers.
Imagine if he spent a million years in a blue sun. I think then he'd be truly immortal.

#17 Posted by Illuminarch (244 posts) - - Show Bio

In approximately 5 billion years, the Sun will expend the last of its hydrogen and expand into a red dwarf that will consume the inner planets. Superman, assuming he's still alive that long, would be depowered and incinerated.

#18 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11268 posts) - - Show Bio

Well we don't know by then. He could be able to store power like Doomsday. And not need a solar battery charger.
Or he could just do what the Blue Lanterns did to a red star. Change it to a blue star.

#19 Posted by MKF30 (11528 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman I think more or less is Immortal or close to it lol

#20 Edited by Valtot (4486 posts) - - Show Bio
@DarkKnight96000:
sorry for bumping this but  its more or less confirmed that supermans immortal as DC  1millions real and they seem to be following a bit of the all star superman when superman from the 4500 century came back and it was the real superman but in the recent superman/batman #80 they showed the unknown superman of the 4600 century meaning there following that and thats basically confirmed supermans immortal as hes alive in the 2600 years and that means hes gonna go on to live forever like in DC  1 million
#21 Posted by Billy Batson (58306 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm

#22 Posted by Vitality (1762 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman may live for a very long time...but he is not Immortal.
#23 Edited by Valtot (4486 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vitality:
dc 1 million is cannon hes alive in over 850,000 years and still young and his solar absoption keeps him immortal and hes a energy being basically by than- so he physically stopped aging at some point which is more than likely around what age he is at 30-40 which is around his prime
#24 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@Valtot said:
" @Vitality: dc 1 million is cannon hes alive in over 850,000 years and still young and his solar absoption keeps him immortal and hes a energy being basically by than- so he physically stopped aging at some point which is more than likely around what age he is at 30-40 which is around his prime "
you sir are 100% correct, but personally the one thing i still find amazing about Supes is that his solar powers are still in their infancy
#25 Posted by Valtot (4486 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK:
yes though earth 15 superman displayed more advanced skills with his solar powers like touching energy such as heat vision and can absorb basically any kind of energy and can go supercharged on the spot most likely by increasing the rate of energy hes absorbing and increased his size to make him like doomsday and was easily dominating 2 other supermans without even trying, i wish soon current superman would learn to develop those sort of powers though hes already absorbed other forms of energy and at times forcefully absorbed energy but ye still in infancy
#26 Posted by buttersdaman000 (10479 posts) - - Show Bio
@Valtot said:
" @RedK: yes though earth 15 superman displayed more advanced skills with his solar powers like touching energy such as heat vision and can absorb basically any kind of energy and can go supercharged on the spot most likely by increasing the rate of energy hes absorbing and increased his size to make him like doomsday and was easily dominating 2 other supermans without even trying, i wish soon current superman would learn to develop those sort of powers though hes already absorbed other forms of energy and at times forcefully absorbed energy but ye still in infancy "
that was connor kent from earth 15 wasnt it? they were fighting monarch?
#27 Posted by Valtot (4486 posts) - - Show Bio
@buttersdaman000:
16 yes he was like a shaman kryptonian
#28 Posted by The Qu (40 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't Coner- it was Chris Kent. Although, it seemed like he was that world's Clark. *shrugs*
 
Also, I'm not 100% sure that the Unknown Superman in the maintimeline is Clark. Not sure why, but I'm not. 
 
side note regarding that issue: Have we ever seen Batsman before? I think he was the only completely original character on that spread.

#29 Posted by Nerd Of A Hero (897 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not exactly immortal. It's just that he has a longer Life Span due to his powers and that he's Kryptonian. there are other versions of him where he lives alot longer, but I still think he can dies of old age.

#30 Posted by The Qu (40 posts) - - Show Bio

He lived till the year 852,000. Pretty sure he, like a turtle or a lobster, cannot die of old age.
 
Other things could kill him, though. I mean, he *has* died. So he's clearly not immortal in the typical sense of the word.

#31 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio

The vast Kryptonian powers that served to make him Superman also made Kal-El essentially immortal. He would watch as he out lived his parents, then his friends and then even his wife Lois. 
 
Still serving as the world's foremost champion he began to slow as the sadness of the losses began to mount. Legend then tells how close to the end of the twenty first century Superman Prime (as history will remember Kal-El) passed the responsibilities of being Superman to his heir, Superman Secundus, and created the Superman Dynasty. Then one day he left Earth.

 
His travels lasted from the 21st Century, and ended somewhere at the turn of the 700th Century. During his travels, he acquired vast abilities and skills from across the universe. When he returned he forged a covenant with his descendants, he would bestow upon them a small fraction of his power as long as they served for truth and justice. After the covenant he left and returned into his fortress of solitude in the centre of the Super Sun.  

Superman Prime suddenly reappeared from the Sun after fifteen thousand years of absorbing Solar energy and crushed the tyrant sun once and for all  

#32 Posted by Caligula (12386 posts) - - Show Bio

No. He is constantly growing older (well as much as Comic Characters age anyway)

#33 Posted by The Impersonator (5620 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't say Superman is entirely immortal since he can be affected by kryptonite and magic. Although he does quite age as you saw his alternate double in Kingdom Come and future self in Batman Beyond animated series. This would suggest that Superman ages slowly like Wolverine.

#34 Posted by Valtot (4486 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Impersonator:
alternate reality versions?? there not the same when the latest evidence of supermans future shows hes still gold superman prime as DC 1 million is still in effect
#35 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@DEGRAAF said:

The vast Kryptonian powers that served to make him Superman also made Kal-El essentially immortal. He would watch as he out lived his parents, then his friends and then even his wife Lois.

Still serving as the world's foremost champion he began to slow as the sadness of the losses began to mount. Legend then tells how close to the end of the twenty first century Superman Prime (as history will remember Kal-El) passed the responsibilities of being Superman to his heir, Superman Secundus, and created the Superman Dynasty. Then one day he left Earth.

His travels lasted from the 21st Century, and ended somewhere at the turn of the 700th Century. During his travels, he acquired vast abilities and skills from across the universe. When he returned he forged a covenant with his descendants, he would bestow upon them a small fraction of his power as long as they served for truth and justice. After the covenant he left and returned into his fortress of solitude in the centre of the Super Sun.

Superman Prime suddenly reappeared from the Sun after fifteen thousand years of absorbing Solar energy and crushed the tyrant sun once and for all

Yes Superman is immortal. This proves it.

#36 Posted by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, for all intents and purposes, he is.

#37 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12582 posts) - - Show Bio

Potential. Superman can become Immortal like he was destined to become pre-FP by becoming Superman Prime One Million BUT if he doesn't live in the core of the sun then I believe he will be fated to aging slowly until he finally dies like shown in Kingdom Come.

#38 Posted by Izaiah (5249 posts) - - Show Bio

Define "immortal".

#39 Posted by Captain_Gunky (9 posts) - - Show Bio

If Superman is immortal why does he age completely normally from ages 0 - 25? Isn't growing taller and reaching puberty all part f the aging process? If he's immortal why is the first part of his life cycle so dramatic? Shouldn't he theoretically spend a hundred years in childhood? Or if he' immortal and never dies than a portion of that infinite time would mean an infinite amount of time as a child?

#40 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman are all immortal because DC will never let them die for real

#41 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@Izaiah: Ceasing to age upon reaching adulthood.

#42 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain_Gunky said:

If Superman is immortal why does he age completely normally from ages 0 - 25? Isn't growing taller and reaching puberty all part f the aging process? If he's immortal why is the first part of his life cycle so dramatic? Shouldn't he theoretically spend a hundred years in childhood? Or if he' immortal and never dies than a portion of that infinite time would mean an infinite amount of time as a child?

Immortal in the sense that once he reaches adulthood he stops physically aging.

#43 Posted by termiteone4ever (7983 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he is Immortal there are many story lines that proved he will live for a very long time .I recall in the Gog wars with doomsday. Even Under the Red sun and kryptonite no food or any substance he was able to live for about five hundred years if i recall correctly. Correct me if the number is wrong its been while since i read it, but i was surprise at how many years he lived been under the red son and kryptonite and been tortured by magog this proved that he is.

#44 Posted by majestic99 (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@BlackArmor: Superman has been killed by Doomsday.

#45 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

Who knows.

#46 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7551 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not know if he is immortal but he is close to it. I remember in All Star Superman Lex says why I am ageing and you look exactly the same. So, Superman grows older slower. So, like I said he grows older slower than others.

#47 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99: Note I said "Killed for real" meaning permanently. Trust me if you come back to comics in 50 years there will have been 4 deaths of Superman 2 deaths of Wonder Woman and 3 deaths of Batman, Dick Grayson will be in a wheel chair and Bruce Wayne will be physically 25 years old. DC will never let their Trinity die for keeps or get old they bring in to much money They will always come back from the dead

#48 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Despite his god-like powers, no

But it's hard to properly answer that question when he's in the hands of multiple writers who each hold different idea's.

#49 Posted by MrDirector786 (43641 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#50 Posted by termiteone4ever (7983 posts) - - Show Bio

@majestic99 said:

@BlackArmor: Superman has been killed by Doomsday.

How many times Thor / and various Gods been killed and so many others even Galactus. So been killed doesn't proved any point about immortality.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.