Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is Superman from Earth?

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Supreme Marvel

lately i have been getting the idea that Superman could be from Earth because when i read stuff like 'Superman: Birthright' and 'Superman Red Son'. I see in 'Red Son' that humans evolve and become like kryptonians and a certain person, Lex Luthor's descendant (Jor-L), sends his son (Kal-L) off to another planet becuase earth is about to suffer the same faith as Krypton.

And on Birthright on the epilogue i see that Jor-El and Lara see a faint video of Superman saying "Father...Mother, i made it". Sothat make me think that they have the technology to do it.

Finally if this is true, then Lex Luthor is Superman's ancestor.

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Apparition

Captain Shazam says:

"lately i have been getting the idea that Superman could be from Earthbecause when i read stuff like 'Superman: Birthright' and 'Superman RedSon'. I see in 'Red Son' that humans evolve and become like kryptoniansand a certain person, Lex Luthor's descendant (Jor-L), sends his son(Kal-L) off to another planet becuase earth is about to suffer the samefaith as Krypton.And on Birthright on the epilogue i see that Jor-El and Lara see afaint video of Superman saying "Father...Mother, i made it". Sothatmake me think that they have the technology to do it.Finally if this is true, then Lex Luthor is Superman's ancestor."

It doesn't seem likely but they certainly could have rewritten his storyline to make this the case.

Walkingstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Walkingstone

Interesting hypothesis. I really hope they don't do that, it'd be a shame to lose all of the great background to Superman just for some neat temporal trick.

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Methos

While this was the fact in Red Son, a truly excellent book...

i don't think this is the case in the normal DCU... Krypton has always been said to be in a distant galaxy...

it made a really good twist for Red Son though

M

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Gàlen says:

"While this was the fact in Red Son, a truly excellent book...i don't think this is the case in the normal DCU... Krypton has always been said to be in a distant galaxy...it made a really good twist for Red Son thoughM"

I was thinking that they said that so they wouldn't mess around with time. What about Superman Birthright then, how do you explain that Jor-El and Lara saw Superman telling them that he had made it?

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By The WeatherMan

He made it to Earth from Krypton?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Methos

i haven't actually read birthright yet, so i can't comment on that...

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Photon says:

"He made it to Earth from Krypton?1"

if you read Superman: Red Son you will see that they could have changed it.

Harley-Quinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Harley-Quinn

I completely agree

BarryFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BarryFlash

I think it would be great to have that kind of twist with Superman although he does have a great background!

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Methos

oh go away HYBRIDrpg

M

snbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By snbatman

Lord Shazam says:

"lately i have been getting the idea that Superman could be from Earth because when i read stuff like 'Superman: Birthright' and 'Superman Red Son'. I see in 'Red Son' that humans evolve and become like kryptonians and a certain person, Lex Luthor's descendant (Jor-L), sends his son (Kal-L) off to another planet becuase earth is about to suffer the same faith as Krypton.And on Birthright on the epilogue i see that Jor-El and Lara see a faint video of Superman saying "Father...Mother, i made it". Sothat make me think that they have the technology to do it.Finally if this is true, then Lex Luthor is Superman's ancestor."

In Red Son, as you state, that's the case for sure. Great twist. Red Son is an Elseworld though, not part of main continuity, thank god, as great a story as it is.

In Birthright, Lex had created tech to use a wormwhole (I believe) to communicate over, what he thought, were great distances, when in reality, he had tunneled in both time and space to past Krypton. The scene you are recalling is Superman using Lex's device to talk to his parents in the past and on Krypton (which is still in different, far off galaxy) to tell them what they'd done was successful and that he'd made it. A really touching moment in comics really.

About the idea in general, I'd boycott DC forever if they messed with the origin of Supes enough to take away his Alien from another planet part of his origin.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.