Is It Possible to Write A Somewhat Gritty Superman Story?

#1 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a question i've been bothered by for some time now, and i am wondering if some one could actually pull this off and make it decent?

i personally think you can't.

#2 Posted by Z3RO180 (6618 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea I think it's possible to do it but the problem with doing a gritty story for supes is supes himself cause the character does not leand itself to that kind of story unlike other characters like batman. It may be hard to do but depending on who is writing it it is possible.

#3 Posted by TDK_1997 (14983 posts) - - Show Bio

It is possible but it depends on the writer.

#4 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Well we've kind of already got that with Superman Red Son...sort of. Kinad depends on what you mean by 'gritty'. I've heard some people describe For Tomorrow as being a gritty Supes story.

The real question is, do we want a gritty Superman story ;)

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veshark said:

Well we've kind of already got that with Superman Red Son...sort of. Kinad depends on what you mean by 'gritty'. I've heard some people describe For Tomorrow as being a gritty Supes story.

That's a typo, it's meant to be "For Tomorrow as being a sh*tty Supes story" :P

#6 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@Veshark said:

That's a typo, it's meant to be "For Tomorrow as being a sh*tty Supes story" :P

Lol! probably because it was gritty...u just cant do gritty stories with supes its not him,unless u make a villain whos gritty enough for the both of them.....Andy diggle's known fr his dark stuff right? n he sed hes gonna be concentratin all those enegires on supe's enemies,wanna see how he does on action.

#7 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veshark: Well, do you want a gritty superman story?

#8 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol, I'll take your word for it. Haven't read it myself.

Honestly, I can't say that I do. It's not that Superman - as a character - can't be written in a gritty style, it's just that I don't have any particular inclination to read one. If someone can write a gritty Superman well, by all means, go ahead. But I don't particularly care for the idea, as science-fiction idealistic Superman is my preferred flavor of the Man of Steel.

#9 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veshark: understood ^__^

#10 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

action comics #775

#11 Posted by IamGog (298 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheAcidSkull: It depends on how good the story is. I want a gritty story. If secret identity was a gritty story, it would be more popular.

#12 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@IamGog said:

@TheAcidSkull: It depends on how good the story is. I want a gritty story. If secret identity was a gritty story, it would be more popular.

Interesting.

#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

The character himself should never be gritty, but the world around him very-well could be.

#14 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

A gritty Superman story would be great.

I personally liked For Tomorrow.

#15 Posted by Lvenger (20693 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

The character himself should never be gritty, but the world around him very-well could be.

This. A gritty Superman just doesn't sit right with who his character is. If you want a gritty Superman story only the world and characters around him could be gritty and maybe the plot too. But not Superman.

#16 Posted by Rumble Man (11118 posts) - - Show Bio

possible

honestly the Idea of a nazi superman done right seems awesome

#17 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you consider by 'gritty'? I thought For the Man Who Has Everything was pretty gritty. And awesome.

#18 Posted by lightsout (1831 posts) - - Show Bio

I vote no, and I'll quote myself from the "why do people like superman" thread

-----

FadeToBlackBolt said:

Superman is probably not the best character ever created. He is notoriously difficult to write, for one thing. In fact, unless you're writing a story about his origin or twilight, odds are it will be forgettable.

He's my main man, but I'd have to agree with this. The only other Supes (only) stories I've particularly enjoyed were ones dealing with the main events of his modern timeline. I think (just spit-ballin' here), maybe that's because of the character/hero he is. Because he's this ideal benevolent hero, he's most effective (story wise) when it's his first appearance ("who will save us?? omg! Look at this dude!") or his return ("everything's gone to hell....what are we going to do!?....omg! It's superman! He's back! We'll definitely win!"), as both are fueled by that sensation of renewed hope that Superman embodies. Someone like Batman can have a story that's not an "event" (like New Krypton, etc, just random stuff between major points) & still be good - but that's expected of a character driven largely detective/mystery stories.

#19 Posted by consolemaster001 (5802 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought that kingdom come was gritty.

#20 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

Red son was pretty gritty.

#21 Posted by The Stegman (25006 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Son

#23 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Gritty Enough?

#24 Posted by consolemaster001 (5802 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

Gritty isn't the proper word; somber is more like it. Kingdom Come, For Tomorrow, For The One Who Has Everything, and Whatever Happened to Truth, Justice, And The American Way? are these types of somber (gritty) stories that can be told with Superman that most people neglect to tell.

#26 Posted by sinestro_GL (3248 posts) - - Show Bio

@TDK_1997 said:

It is possible but it depends on the writer.

#27 Posted by RustyRoy (13200 posts) - - Show Bio

Truth,Justice and The American Way was a pretty good gritty story.

#28 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Difficult, but possible.

#29 Posted by consolemaster001 (5802 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

I have to disagree on that.

#30 Posted by RustyRoy (13200 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

I have to disagree on that.

Why?

#31 Edited by w0nd (3707 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't Supreme power basically this?

#32 Posted by .Longshot. (5264 posts) - - Show Bio

I certainly think it's possible. I mean, there's a part of Metropolis called "Suicide Slum". For my money, that's quite a bit darker than "Crime Alley". To me, it's not really a question of "could we" as it is a question of "should we". Superman projects optimism and courage in the face of adversity. He's a beacon of hope. That said, a beacon shines brightest in the night, so I think it's perfectly acceptable to take Superman as he is and lead him into rather grim scenarios. One of my favorite Superman stories is Peace On Earth where he tries to end world hunger. As you might assume, it gets pretty sad. But making Superman himself gritty seems counter-intuitive to everything the character represents.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.