Is H'el on Earth a good read?

#1 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

I have recently been on a bit of a Superman kick and soaking up all of the good stuff, I know the H'el story line or "event" is getting lots of attention but I have hear some poor things about it, so is it good? What issue does it start? And do I have to read the tie ins if so ... ect superboy supergirl Thanks :D

#2 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#3 Posted by krspaceT (1473 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, yes you do. Starting with Superman 13, and each Super title in release would be the next chronological part

#4 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@krspaceT: With both "Night of the Owls" and "Death of the Family" I skiped all the tie ins cause my pockets aint that deep, thats kinda what I am getting at.

#5 Posted by fACEmelter88 (609 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it for the most part. I thought H'El looked cool and the story seemed cool. H'El on earth is what actually got me reading Superman (Action Comics is quite awesome in case you were unaware). I've been a consistent Superboy reader which has been a decent part of the crossover but I've been reading friends copies of Supergirl for the crossover and 17 was good (it kind of cleared up what was up with his disappearing chest S).

#6 Posted by ccraft (5204 posts) - - Show Bio

I like H'el on Earth so far, I only read Superman tie-ins. The art is good and it's an interesting story. You should check it out starting with issue 13, also it had Lex in it.

#7 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, but I just Started, but like it

#8 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@fACEmelter88: Nice reply, I might pick them up then since I have a freind who reads superboy, now I need a freind who reads supergirl haha.

#9 Posted by Clark_EL (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

@FiguredOut95: yes, I enjoy it

#10 Posted by tomlikesfries (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good. The Supergirl tie-ins are also worth getting.

#11 Posted by The Stegman (23969 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good enough, haven't been blown away yet, but haven't stopped reading either.

#12 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomlikesfries: what about superboy?

#13 Posted by tomlikesfries (4643 posts) - - Show Bio

@FiguredOut95: Never read it.

#14 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been reading it and really enjoying it. I would recommend that you get all the tie-ins though.

#15 Posted by Manbehindthewires (344 posts) - - Show Bio

@FiguredOut95: I think it was at a disadvantage running alongside other events; DotF, Throne of Atlantis etc and the dawn of Marvel NOW! ...It kind of got drowned out and compared to a lot of stuff.

If you just pick it up and don't try to compare it to the scale of the others, it's actually a good, easy-reading crossover. No hype, no complicated release roster, just 3 tied-in ongoings telling a story. I pick up all 3, so can't say whether they work together as standalones, but I can say that as a group, they work really well. Nothing spectacular, but good enough to pick up if you can afford 3 more books a month.

Without spoiling it:

Superman: Pretty straightforward story of him being caught off guard and trying to gain back his ground. Features some appearances from well known friends and enemies. Great art; really unique style and colour palette.

Supergirl: Supergirl is torn in a decision to save her past or present. Weak-ish artwork, but it's made up for in story, and in the way it represents H'el and a very bullish, surefire Supergirl who has went head to head with a couple of big DC characters in an oldschool "who would win if..." fashion.

Superboy: Probably my least favorite in the run, but is getting better. It's sort of telling a coming-of-age story for Superboy as he sides with Superman to figure out his capacity as a superhero. This could be his defining moment in the New 52 where he starts to truly become Superboy.

Superboy Annual: a really nice bonus issue showing what happens between the panels of a couple of the main issues. Could probably stand alone as a single read, features several creators and was really enjoyable. I'd recommend getting this if you plan on following all 3 as it complimented it well.

#16 Posted by tensor (4168 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its too drawn out, it is taking too long to get the point

#17 Edited by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

It's good enough, haven't been blown away yet, but haven't stopped reading either.

This

@tensor said:

and this.

I will be very disappointed if we aren't given more information on H'el's background before it's through. If we don't get much more than what we already have, it'll lower my opinion of the arc a great deal. ESPECIALLY now that I was reminded (by another thread) that H'el was actually in the Superboy 0 issue (being included in a group of "allies who he (Superboy) will ultimately make enemies out of"). Although I've "liked" it, I do agree it's so drawn out. The beginning was better, but since then it's just been H'el & Kara taking about their plot, or one of them defending it to the others, and then fighting to stop it from happening. So really the story probably isn't what I'll be liking about it when it's over....my enjoyment is hinging on what we find out about H'el, lol (I just HAVE to know why his powers are much more advanced than the rest of the Kryptonians. If we find out, he'll be a pretty cool new character & it'll have been "worth it" to me).

#18 Posted by drgnx (3562 posts) - - Show Bio

@tensor said:

Yes, there has been little excitement since the league got involved , and was seemingly dragging just before they got involved. They attempted to make it epic but ended up making it just long...

#19 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, I don't think that you have to get everything, the main Superman title really sums up all of the major action in this series. The Supergirl and Superboy title focus more on their experience during this event but usually don't add a lot to the forwarding of the plot. If you just read Superman you should get the idea of what's transpired in the peripheral titles.

The Superboy annual was interesting, not for the advancement of H'El on Earth but for the dynamic between Clark & Conner.

#20 Posted by shieldzeal (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me or was Superman #17 delayed?

#21 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

@shieldzeal: That it was...I hate when they do that >_>

#22 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

I think its going to be one of those stories that will read better in trade than single issue.

#23 Posted by shieldzeal (67 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skewer: ^This

#24 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skewer said:

I think its going to be one of those stories that will read better in trade than single issue.

I'm not so sure as I feel that there were a few redundancies in some of the peripheral books, made to keep readers up to date who were only reading select titles but repetitive none the less.

#25 Posted by SHTR (110 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been pretty weak for me so far.

#26 Posted by SmashBrawler (5637 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#27 Posted by FiguredOut95 (379 posts) - - Show Bio

@Skewer: Yeah I was thinking this as I hope/assume the TPB will havee all the issues and tie-ins :D

#28 Posted by consolemaster001 (5269 posts) - - Show Bio

@FiguredOut95 said:

I have recently been on a bit of a Superman kick and soaking up all of the good stuff, I know the H'el story line or "event" is getting lots of attention but I have hear some poor things about it, so is it good? What issue does it start? And do I have to read the tie ins if so ... ect superboy supergirl Thanks :D

It' Superman 13-present. It's a good read, not bad at all.

#29 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been pretty slow. I think spreading the story over all three Super-books might be to blame, especially when written by three different people. I'm also not the biggest fan of Lobdell's dialogue, so that doesn't help it's case for me.

#30 Posted by NightHaunter (111 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree the trade will help it, but it's not been spectacular. I only read Supergirl prior to it but I'm considering reading Superman post-event. I have found the Superboy issues to be quite awful.

#31 Posted by shieldzeal (67 posts) - - Show Bio

So what are everyone's thoughs now that H'el on Earth is over? I was a bit underwhelmed. I was just sort of stuck thinking, "that was it!" I still think in trade form, this story is a bit stronger.

#32 Posted by lightsout (1827 posts) - - Show Bio

Just finished Superman 17...wow...VERY underwhelmed. Pretty ticked we got NO explanation of why H'el's powers were much stronger/different than the rest of the Kryptonians'. Also, no elaboration on his having the backwards House of El logo on his chest (Supergirl noticed it "in a significant manner" in Supergirl 17, but nothing after that). Maybe these details will be revealed in time -- and that time be neutralized by trade-collection --- but reading it live it's just a little infuriating to not be revealed even the smallest details.

#33 Posted by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

I read it, and it's pretty terrible. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

#34 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

This final chapter really fell flat for me. H'El started out with so much potential too.

#35 Posted by consolemaster001 (5269 posts) - - Show Bio

@TeamUnitedNerds said:

I read it, and it's pretty terrible. I wouldn't suggest it to anyone.

Oh

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.