Is He Lazy/Stupid?

#1 Edited by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's powerset includes accelerated senses and superspeed. You'd think with these capabilities that at some point in his life he would decide to take a few moments out of his day to read entire libraries where he could attain knowledge equal to multiple Ph.Ds. Why he doesn't do this is a mystery to me. Actually no it's not, Superman is a fictional character and what he does is entirely up to the writ...yadda yadda yadda. But seriously (well maybe like 3/10 on srs scale), I can't believe this hasn't crossed his mind.

Scientia potentia est.

#2 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

I figure it's like the flashes. if he speed reads it wont stick (other than Bart)

#3 Posted by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

@SuperShafe said:

I figure it's like the flashes. if he speed reads it wont stick (other than Bart)

Not sure about now, but pre-crisis he had eidetic ("photographic") memory.

#4 Posted by joshmightbe (24967 posts) - - Show Bio

because he has other crap to do

#5 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

I think is is because he knows even with all that knowlege he still only as so much time. he could read every book ever writen but with out the time to use the knowlege it's just the same as not having it.

#6 Posted by SC (13266 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he actually did do as you suggest, and at night, when everyone is sleeping, he zooms around using his PHD in animalogy and fusiology to melt the tails of rats together. So he is building the worlds biggest Rat king, and one day he is going to pull a Ozymandias, and throw the 200 ton Rat king at New Jersey and save the entire planet. Then the theme song from Smallville will play. 

#7 Posted by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

I think he actually did do as you suggest, and at night, when everyone is sleeping, he zooms around using his PHD in animalogy and fusiology to melt the tails of rats together. So he is building the worlds biggest Rat king, and one day he is going to pull a Ozymandias, and throw the 200 ton Rat king at New Jersey and save the entire planet. Then the theme song from Smallville will play.

Just as I suspected.

#8 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Read? Pffft! Superman wrote the whole goddamn wikipedia... Except the errors. Those were made by Batman.

#9 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

I think he actually did do as you suggest, and at night, when everyone is sleeping, he zooms around using his PHD in animalogy and fusiology to melt the tails of rats together. So he is building the worlds biggest Rat king, and one day he is going to pull a Ozymandias, and throw the 200 ton Rat king at New Jersey and save the entire planet. Then the theme song from Smallville will play.

That is the greatest story proposal I have ever heard. Write the fan-fic. It'd be amazing.

#10 Posted by SoA (4975 posts) - - Show Bio

superman was originally his namesake , a super man : super strong, super fast , and super smart pre crisis he would play chess against super computers, figure out complex equations , etc . superman earth one shows this ,not a superman fan but earth one is one of my fave tpb bc of showing he is more than strength

#11 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't AS Superman cured cancer or something? I can't remember. I could be wrong.

#12 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1448 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

superman was originally his namesake , a super man : super strong, super fast , and super smart pre crisis he would play chess against super computers, figure out complex equations , etc . superman earth one shows this ,not a superman fan but earth one is one of my fave tpb bc of showing he is more than strength

this.... if u read Superman earth one the same applies to the canon superman,at some point he's read everything cuz he can,wat else would he have done growing up on a farm,in many comics its shown how smart Supes is and through the years he has picked up knowlege from other worlds as well....okay just thought of somethin,im not discrediting my previous statements but theres a single answer to your question....'The Fortress of Solitude'.Since kryptonians were thousands of years more advanced than humans they collected a hell of alot more info than us,and the fortress holds the information of 28 galaxies known to kryptonian scientists at the time of its destruction,so im guessing that kinda knowlege pretty much negates watever earth libraries havta offer...

#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad said:

Read? Pffft! Superman wrote the whole goddamn wikipedia... Except the errors. Those were made by Batman.

This is an oxymoron. Batman doesn't make errors. 
#14 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@ssejllenrad said:

This is an oxymoron. Batman doesn't make errors.

Are you saying Batman can't make an error even if he wanted to? Fo shame! Such disrespect towards the goddamn Batman! Tsk tsk.

#15 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3566 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Man of Yesteryear: He has the entire recorded knowledge of several civilizations at his disposal. He actually has been shown spending a lot of his free time studying in the Fortress. When he's doing this though, he's usually searching for ways to cure a diseased friend trapped in another dimension or regrowing the miniaturized remains of his heritage. I guess, in short...

@joshmightbe said:

because he has other crap to do

...this.
#16 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

He may not want to.

#17 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

Best thing I've ever read. I shake your hand good sir.

#18 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think he even care

@ssejllenrad said:

LMAO :D

#19 Posted by PowerHerc (85113 posts) - - Show Bio

He's neither lazy nor stupid.

DC kind of did that with Superman back in the Silver Age.

It was part of why readers ended up considering him to be to unbelievable/unbeatable.

#20 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Silver Age Superman was basically a genius because of his super-brain, total memory recall, and his knowledge of Kryptonian technology. It was generally accepted that he would be able to cure any disease or invent machines that could solve any of mankind's problems, but his dedication to his neverending battle prevents him from taking the time to do this (I guess even super-speed only goes so far). In many alternate realities from the Silver and Bronze Age stories, he does give up his superhero career and devotes himself to science which usually results in him creating some kind or cure for the evil in human hearts. Post-Crisis on Infinite Earths they down-played his intellect quite a bit to make him more relatable and a bit less unassailable. He wasn't a moron in the Modern Age but he wasn't dabbling in rocket science either. That may change in the new 52. Morrison has always favored the Renaissance Superman.

#21 Posted by MrDirector786 (43616 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

lol

#22 Edited by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

It makes me think of Megamind. Anyways, a character is only as intelligent as their writer, and/or as their writer makes them. Off panel when other characters are using the restroom and what not Superman probably reads books. I'm certain if one thinks about it and looks through examples, he likely displays knowledge that would have required him to have studied the subject (then again this can be inadvertent to the writers and applied to anything?). I wonder though, as he is supposed to be versed in Kryptonian science, which may in fact be more advanced than Earth based discoveries, possibly rendering it moot and making it contradictory to even study the most of Earths findings which are limited in human perception/through the looking glass, ect, . Kind of think the many stories where aliens from space read our most advanced theories and laugh their heads off thinking it's some form of comedy.

#23 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad said:

LMAO
#24 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

this has to be the post post ever made in comic vine.

#25 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a comic book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.