Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Is DC reverting him back to how he was originally

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

To me it seems like DC is trying to make him more like he was in Action Comics 1. They've depowered him and now he's taking on social issues like back when he was a warrior for social justice and didnt have the powers he originally had. Do you think this is what they are doing and how long do you think it will last?

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@darkdetective27: I think they are trying to find a way with him but have driven off in different directions because they've no idea what to do with him. He's actually pretty good in new 52, but he lacks the incentive pre 52 had, which was what made him the face of DC, in new 52 he's just a recognisable comic book character

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Madflavor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me it seems like DC is trying to make him more like he was in Action Comics 1. They've depowered him and now he's taking on social issues like back when he was a warrior for social justice and didnt have the powers he originally had. Do you think this is what they are doing and how long do you think it will last?

Around a year. Eventually they're gonna have to bring Superman back to his full powers.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CairoV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are basically turning him into the Smallville Superman.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27 said:

Around a year. Eventually they're gonna have to bring Superman back to his full powers.

A year! Where did you came up with that?

Superman is getting his powers back in September.

Don't believe me. Check out the September cover of Action Comics.

No Caption Provided

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@madflavor said:

A year! Where did you came up with that?

Superman is getting his powers back in September.

Don't believe me. Check out the September cover of Action Comics.

No Caption Provided

That cover is just a trace of AC's 28 inner art.

I don't even think it is the final one :P

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC end goal is still a mystery to me. It might lead to nothing significant or something major. At this point all bets are on.

Has for when his powers are coming back. You can check the picture I posted in the previous post. It's the cover of Action Comics coming this September.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So what Morrison did at the beginning of the New 52...but with no Morrison?

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

I just hope they know what they're doing.

Beata

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Squalleon

It is not Dc, but Pak. He has a GA Superman fetish for some reason. It was Pak and Kuder who came up with the idea.

@maccyd said:

Exactly. They actually took out the ingredient that made it work :P

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

That cover is just a trace of AC's 28 inner art.

I don't even think it is the final one :P

For the love of god. It doesn't matter if it's the final art or not. What matters is what's writen in the DC Comics website and the description of what AC#44 is gonna be about.

Here, I'll quote it for you:

"The epic Truth arc reaches its finale as Superman makes some brutal choices and discovers the source of the Shadow Warriors."

Add this and the picture together. And the math is quite simple.

Unless you have some other source that says otherwise. If so than please... Share.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Yeah I dont know what DC is doing but Im glad he'll be getting his powers back soon.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Superguy1591

@squalleon: GA Superman is the best Superman, that's why.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GA supes is badass

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27 said:

@heavenlydarkdragon: Yeah I dont know what DC is doing but Im glad he'll be getting his powers back soon.

Yeah. When I read the one year speculation of @madflavor I was like "WHAT!!".

It was never gonna be that long. Now the consequences... Those can go one year or more. Has I see it, one of those "brutal choices" Superman is gonna make is end his Clark Kent persona.

It all seems to be pointing at that. I don't honestly believe that the world is gonna somehow forget that Superman and Clark Kent are the same person. In my opinion that's the angle DC is gonna explore after Truth. Superman without the need to juggle his time being Clark Kent. And be Superman 24/7.

Also in my opinion, one of those brutal choices could be Superman leaving Metropolis. With his human identity out, staying in Metropolis would only make a target of everyone he knows. So having him, not entirelly leaving Metropolis, but also not make it his main place of operation would go along way to try and keep his friends safe. He could go global Superman, and even galactic Superman. It would help improve the diversity of the stories and explore new paths.

Hell. If I was working in DC Comics not only would I suggest that move but also one more bolder. I would have Superman having a face to face conversation with Lex Luthor, where he could say:

"I just came here to tell you that I'm leaving Metropolis for a while. For years you've been saying that I was crippling humanity, making all of you weak. And that you, were Earth real Superman. Well Lex, here's your chance to prove you were right. I'm gonna make a small statement to the press telling them pretty much what I've told you, and if you're to the challenge, then I'll support you has Metropolis new champion."

And from this decision DC could start a new comic book. One that I'm sure Luthor fans would love it. A Lex Luthor comic book. To see Lex have to juggle his megalomaniac personality and villainous ways, and having the responsability to try and fill in Superman boots.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

We all know he isn't gonna be dealing with street thugs when Batman vs Superman comes out so he'll be back to full power soon.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Do you think that if DC goes your route we could get some Superman space epics?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: all the Morrison issu s with out Morrison, how in the world does that even work ?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@squalleon: all the Morrison issu s with out Morrison, how in the world does that even work ?

It doesn't :P

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

We all know he isn't gonna be dealing with street thugs when Batman vs Superman comes out so he'll be back to full power soon.

Eh, DC isn't Marvel. They don't bend to how the movies work as strictly as Marvel. NOt saying he won't get his powers back, but they don't align themselves for their movies.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

Eh, he was a social crusader... but just barely and not entirely getting into this worlds problems. What's going on in AC42 is akin to when he took on the KKK. Did you read it?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@saintwildcard: While its true they don't align (So far) they're going to want Superman looking as good as possible when the movie comes out for the sake of cross promotion.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: Do you think that if DC goes your route we could get some Superman space epics?

At least it would motivate the option of doing so.

After all if he no longer had to take time to be Clark, and if being away from Metropolis helped his friends. Then at least we would see Superman exploring new horizons. In one adventure he could be helping out people in Japan, in another he could be in England (closer to Diana base of operations), in another he could be somewhere in the African continent, South America, and even the Middle East (although this option I'd tread lightly). And even somewhere in another solar system.

We'd still see him in Metropolis from time to time. But it would be the exception to the rule instead of the rule.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SaintWildcard

@joshmightbe said:

Considering they're doing a third installment to a series that keeps making Batman beat up Superman, I'm not sure they care that much about him looking good.

EDIT- And I'm not trying to whine or say that DC doesn't care about Superman, but if they truly wanted him to look good, they wouldn't be doing a TDK3. But who knows, maybe they'll make Superman look good in this one

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Speaking of that why did dc hire Frank Miller again after his recent Batman 2 or 3,depending on the name that was used, comics being so infamous. They have to know what they're getting right.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: Speaking of that why did dc hire Frank Miller again after his recent Batman 2 or 3,depending on the name that was used, comics being so infamous. They have to know what they're getting right.

BvS is gonna take a lot of cues from TDKR, so they decided to do a third one. I guess they thought it wouldn't be right to not include him in some way in the creative process. They are making him co write it with Brian Azzerello.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By darkdetective27

@saintwildcard: Yeah maybe it will redeem him a little bit and make us forget about the bad ones.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

YEs and I love it. This new take on SUperman is making be a a big SUperman fan, and I didn't care about him before

~MiB

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.