Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18881 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Interview: Scott Lobdell on SUPERMAN, Lois Lane and Shirtless Kryptonians

• 72 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    SUPERMAN #16
    SUPERMAN #16

SUPERMAN #15 came out yesterday and H'el is still causing problems for Superman. With Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort coming on the title, we're seeing several new developments with Superman and other characters. With H'el on Earth going on, there are a lot of questions about the character and Krypton.

We had the chance to ask Scott a few questions to try to get to the bottom of things.

Comic Vine: Was H'el originally going to be Bizarro? Did the story change or evolve?

Scott Lobdell: When I made a proposal for Superman, part of it was to take Superman's rogues gallery and kind of bring them into the New 52. As anyone who has read TEEN TITANS or even to a degree, RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS, knows that I'm not above taking as many liberties as I can with the characters when defining them. In the proposal, I came up with a new take on Bizarro and Toyman and Parasite and Starro. They were so far afield from who these characters had been traditionally that DC said, in particularly in the case with my take on Bizarro, I had essentially just created an entirely different character. It would make more sense to let the character be his own character and leave Bizarro for another time.

When the entire story gets told, of H'el and not only just his origin he's revealed to us but also the origin he doesn't perhaps know at this time, by the time that story is told, everyone will see why DC, in their infinite wisdom were smart to separate H'el and Bizarro.

So yes, I had originally discussed a new take on Bizarro but ultimately it became such a bizarre take, if you will, that he became a different character completely.

CV: You've mentioned before that Helspont, last seen in the annual, is a story for later. Does that mean there's no connection to H'el?

SL: Correct. They might share some of the same monogramed bath towels, I'm guessing.

CV: Is using a family name a common thing on Krypton? He mentioned he didn't share the "blood" of her family?

SL: Considering that all six billion Kryptonians are dead, he can pretty much call himself Jor-El if he wanted to. There's no one there to correct him but I will say that Krypton was a very big place. Someone recently complained about why he's wearing what looks like a dress. I said well in America, there's not a lot of people wearing kilts but there are parts of the world where kilts and grass skirts and these types of clothing are acceptable. I think traditionally we've only seen Jor-El and the Science Council and maybe a city or two here and there. We have barely barely ever glimpsed Krypton in all its splendor and in all its multicultural facets which I'm sure exists. I think that it is probably well within the grounds of proper Kryptonian etiquette to perhaps take the name of a family that you respect or has accepted you. We're going to see a huge huge scene between Lara, Jor-El and H'el in issue 16. That should answer a lot of questions.

SUPERMAN #16
    SUPERMAN #16

CV: What about his powers? Will we find out why he and Superboy have telekinesis and other Kryptonians don't?

SL: It's very fascinating to me, I used to read comics when I was younger and there was so much I didn't need to know to enjoy the story. To me, if I was a kid and reading H'el and all his powers and stuff, I would find it fascinating but wouldn't need to understand it. It's interesting to me that we live in a time where we need to know. I've had this question before and I could tell you but if I told you I'd be telling you what's happening in an issue around 24 or 25. Then you would be very angry at me.

Do you find that interesting at all?

CV: It's because of the internet. People feel like they could and should know everything right away.

SUPERMAN #15
    SUPERMAN #15

SL: It's very interesting. So yes. And in issue 15, Lex says to Superman, or he alludes to it, it's this notion that we've all been looking at H'el and wondering how is he can do so many more amazing things than Superman? What happened to H'el that allows him to do that? I think the bigger question is what is it about Superman that has not had him manifesting these powers? Is it because he doesn't possess them or is it because Superman is so physically powerful that it's enough for him to push planets into orbit and deliver beat downs to intergalactic armies? Is it that he hasn't had to explore these different elements of his powers. Whether that's true or just Lex trying to crawl under Superman's skin is a story that I think all the Super-books will be investigating over the next or at least touching on.

CV: Is it pronounced "hell" or "huh-ell"?

SL: Huh-el! It's actually pronounced Huh-dash-el. That's the actual pronunciation. No.

CV: When can we expect answers about the zero issue, such as Superman being there before the destruction?

SL: Around issue 24 or 25. It might be 23 and 24. Right now it's planned in 24 and 25 of all Superman books, ACTION, SUPERGIRL, SUPERBOY and SUPERMAN. But that could change because life is about change.

SUPERMAN #16
    SUPERMAN #16

CV: Is H'el just trying to impress Kara to try to recreate Kryptonians the 'old-fashioned way'?

SL: No, I think what's really tragic about H'el is from thirty thousand feet up he has a very noble cause that anybody could get behind. This is the saving of his planet. Unfortunately, as we discover, he can't do that without destroying Earth. That makes him what you and I would traditionally call a supervillain. To him, he thinks there's nothing more important than bringing back Krypton. He'll do anything to make that happen, including manipulating Kara. Sadly as the story progresses, he is going to find that his affection for Kara may at some point trump his prime directive to bring back Krypton. As you alluded to in your question, he might actually think there might be a more hands on approach to his goal.

CV: With the Justice League in SUPERMAN #16, will we see more of Lois Lane's reaction to Superman and Wonder Woman being a couple?

No Caption Provided

SL: Their relationship has not been made public just yet. Also in the New 52, Lois is so much more her own person than perhaps she's been portrayed in the past. So even when the time comes that Superman and Wonder Woman's relationship is made public, I don't necessarily think we're going to see a Lois who's particularly broken up about it. She has moved in with Jonathan Carrol. Presumedly she's very sincere and happy in that relationship.

CV: A user asked, if H'el is trying to hide his chest symbol, why doesn't he just put on a shirt?

SL: Again, I used to live in Malibu, CA. My neighbor six doors away was Matthew McConaughey and I used to ask that same question of him everyday when I would walk the dog. I never asked him directly but I did wonder why the guy will just not put on a shirt. Having said that, I do believe there are many places the world today that if were to hop into your Comic Vine catapult and shoot yourself across the planet, you could probably land in a many places where a shirt and shoes are not required for service. Similarly we will learn that H'el comes from a place on Krypton where tunics are not mandatory.

SUPERMAN #15 is on sale now. Issue #16 is in stores January 30.

Regas13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Regas13

First.

revbucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By revbucky

Sounds very interesting! Great artwork too.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By ccraft

My LCS ran out of superman #15... missed the issue...

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SandMan_

Cool. So Helspont will be back huh?

And will Zod be back?

supersmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By supersmith

Enjoying the H'el crossover. Great to see the supers struggle intially to establish their relationships. Makes more sense.

Thank the lord for no juvenile love triangles.It does no favors to anyone. Let the sm/ww relationship breathe and want to see writers flesh out Lois' beau. He's a foreign correspondent reporter. Should have qualities to him to make Lois fall for him.

fartvader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fartvader

Why again does He'L sometimes have the inverted S symbol and sometimes doesn't?

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dondave

Great storyline

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really like this direction. It's nice to see such great interaction between the characters

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By sethysquare

@fartvader said:

this is the question that im curious about though.

Does H'el have or doesnt have the inverted s.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
    G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked issue 15 and I really like the direction they're going with H'El on Earth. I will continue pronouncing it "Hell" and not "Huh Ell". I've been doing it too long, I can't change. I was a little disappointed there was not a single punch thrown or one glimpse of H'El in this issue... but it did add a lot to the overall plot so I can forgive it.

Also, with the issue about his "skirt", it looks to me like a cape worn lower because maybe he's from a different culture like Scott said. It makes him look badass anyway.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BR_Havoc

@supersmith said:

Enjoying the H'el crossover. Great to see the supers struggle intially to establish their relationships. Makes more sense.

Thank the lord for no juvenile love triangles.It does no favors to anyone. Let the sm/ww relationship breathe and want to see writers flesh out Lois' beau. He's a foreign correspondent reporter. Should have qualities to him to make Lois fall for him.

Is it just me that feels that Lois's new BF will die in a tragic fashion and when that happens we will see Clark be there for her. It would be the fist foot in the door for there relationship to start again?

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Icon

@knightofthechronicle said:

I really like this direction. It's nice to see such great interaction between the characters

Agreed. The dialogue and the exchanges between the Supers (and especially between Superman and Luthor in the latest issue) have really elevated this series and made it something special with the current creative team (that and the artwork).

I'm eager to have the full mystery behind H'el revealed, but I'm patient. :)

supersmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By supersmith

@BR_Havoc: You mean go down the over used route of just killing off the well meaning boyfriend who no writer cares to flesh out and is just canon fodder and will mean nothing to the narrative? It could be they plan that. Who knows with them. I wouldn't put it pass them to do the most obvious and cliched thing and not really write the sm/ww well at all. Just use it to add drama and undermine it. It's not a very nice thing to do to Diana's character though as she'll come off as the lame second choice. We were already in danger of Clark acting like a whiny kid over Lois' boyfriend last issue. They could have set him up with someone from his own cast . There was Lucy and Heather to choose from.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By darkman61288

@BE__ Havoc @ supersmith I don't like the "power couple" either. It just stupid. Both characters are all ready unrelatable this just makes it worst.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By GothamRed

Supergirl and H'el, okay then.

supersmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By supersmith

@darkman61288 said:

@BE__ Havoc @ supersmith I don't like the "power couple" either. It just stupid. Both characters are all ready unrelatable this just makes it worst.

Who says I don't like them? I for one am willing to give them their chance. It's refreshing for one to see Superman not making lame excuses/lying to a love interest or wringing his hands to save her and all the typical troupes that go with hero/ civilian love interests.If I want to read the same thing over I'd go back to trades. You can't hate something that they are only just starting to explore. That's a blinkered way at looking at things and clearly you not a Superman fan too.

Fastblender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fastblender

I like how Tony blames "the internet" for wanting to know everything right away. Who has been asking for a detailed report on the mythical "5 years" before the DCnU every week on a podcast? Who has been asking which stories are/aren't in cannon in the Batman mythos? Who has been asking for a timeline of Robins? Who asked the question about the discrepancy in Superboys powers in the first place??

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @sethysquare said:

@fartvader said:

Well H'el can only be seen when he want's pepole to see him so I would presume it only shows when he want's it to
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheCrowbar

Let me be the first:

THIS INTERVIEW IS A SLAP IN THE FACE! A TRUE TRUE VIOLATION OF THE SUPERMAN MYTHOS

-----

Lets pretend I wrote paragraphs on the subject.

Actually this has been a rather fun arc! Especially the Lex Luther/Superman/Superboy dynamic.

mapledonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mapledonuts

@supersmith said:

@darkman61288 said:

Who says I don't like them? I for one am willing to give them their chance. It's refreshing for one to see Superman not making lame excuses/lying to a love interest or wringing his hands to save her and all the typical troupes that go with hero/ civilian love interests.If I want to read the same thing over I'd go back to trades. You can't hate something that they are only just starting to explore. That's a blinkered way at looking at things and clearly you not a Superman fan too.

You know what could accomplish the same thing? Not writing a Superman/Lois dynamic that involves a lot of saving. But then, I guess it's more refreshing to read stories where Superman is in need of constant saving. Lois saved his life and the lives of Metropolis citizens twice in Superman so far during Perez's run. Meanwhile, the Justice League--even Lex Luthor--are apparently necessary at times to save Superman from Cheetah (Justice League #13), from Vulko (Justice League #15), and now from H'El.

I would suggest that just because someone doesn't embrace the Superman and Wonder Woman relationship in the same way you do, it doesn't make them not a Superman fan. A good number of people don't find the relationship interesting or appealing. To me, it has no poetry. The secret keeping, etc. of the Superman/Lois relationship may be familiar, but it's the kind of familiar that exists in all myths that are retold. It's the obstacle the protagonists overcome. Meanwhile, something really beautiful and profound is said about a relationship between a human and an alien. It replicates the courageous love and acceptance the human Kents provided to the alien Kal-El and about loving what's on the inside of a person and seeing people with differences as equals on the basis of what's in their heart only.

Clark takes up journalism because he likes a profession that he can't rely on his powers alone. It's a challenge. With Lois it's the same thing. He has to win her as Clark, which is challenge. It also takes the kind of guts that true love stories have in literature and myth, like Romeo & Juliet or Aragorn & Arwen, have. Love stories that move us because the lovers have to bravely face fears and who come from different worlds. That they overcome those differences to reconcile the thematic conflicts in their lives/narrative is what gives the love story its meaning and epic quality. So, I think the Lois/Clark relationship can still be retold in an innovative way (less damsel in distress) and still hold a great deal of interest and power as a story. The relationship still has loads of fans, and being featured again in Man of Steel is likely to produce even more of them.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By darkman61288

I actually liked Superman prior to the New 52. He was I what i thought was very relatable. In fact its his romance with Lois Lane that made him relatable. To not have him be with her is like saying superman is no longer an alien or has no powers. She is as much as a part of him as everything else about him.

Avatar image for jesusdisciple001
    jesusdisciple001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jesusdisciple001

DAT ART.

Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Mbecks14

@mapledonuts said:

You know what could accomplish the same thing? Not writing a Superman/Lois dynamic that involves a lot of saving. But then, I guess it's more refreshing to read stories where Superman is in need of constant saving. Lois saved his life and the lives of Metropolis citizens twice in Superman so far during Perez's run. Meanwhile, the Justice League--even Lex Luthor--are apparently necessary at times to save Superman from Cheetah (Justice League #13), from Vulko (Justice League #15), and now from H'El.

I would suggest that just because someone doesn't embrace the Superman and Wonder Woman relationship in the same way you do, it doesn't make them not a Superman fan. A good number of people don't find the relationship interesting or appealing. To me, it has no poetry. The secret keeping, etc. of the Superman/Lois relationship may be familiar, but it's the kind of familiar that exists in all myths that are retold. It's the obstacle the protagonists overcome. Meanwhile, something really beautiful and profound is said about a relationship between a human and an alien. It replicates the courageous love and acceptance the human Kents provided to the alien Kal-El and about loving what's on the inside of a person and seeing people with differences as equals on the basis of what's in their heart only.

Clark takes up journalism because he likes a profession that he can't rely on his powers alone. It's a challenge. With Lois it's the same thing. He has to win her as Clark, which is challenge. It also takes the kind of guts that true love stories have in literature and myth, like Romeo & Juliet or Aragorn & Arwen, have. Love stories that move us because the lovers have to bravely face fears and who come from different worlds. That they overcome those differences to reconcile the thematic conflicts in their lives/narrative is what gives the love story its meaning and epic quality. So, I think the Lois/Clark relationship can still be retold in an innovative way (less damsel in distress) and still hold a great deal of interest and power as a story. The relationship still has loads of fans, and being featured again in Man of Steel is likely to produce even more of them.

Marry me? That was beautiful.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#24  Edited By pspin

I think that the best part about the arc is how all of the characters are portrayed so consistently across the three books. It might not be the greatest crossover of all time but it is definitely a fun and entertaining to see the Super-family struggle not only against a common enemy but to like each other as well.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Press Oblivion

I'm diggin' what's goin on with Superman! good stuff!

Kesho_Ronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kesho_Ronin

i liked the interview.can't wait to see how will this story end.also can't wait to see the helspont story....

and i gotta say i like Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort work on superman

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By gmanfromheck

@Fastblender said:

I like how Tony blames "the internet" for wanting to know everything right away. Who has been asking for a detailed report on the mythical "5 years" before the DCnU every week on a podcast? Who has been asking which stories are/aren't in cannon in the Batman mythos? Who has been asking for a timeline of Robins? Who asked the question about the discrepancy in Superboys powers in the first place??

The Internet. Check out the questions in the "Ask G-Man" thread. So many of them revolve around these.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BR_Havoc

@supersmith said:

@BR_Havoc: You mean go down the over used route of just killing off the well meaning boyfriend who no writer cares to flesh out and is just canon fodder and will mean nothing to the narrative? It could be they plan that. Who knows with them. I wouldn't put it pass them to do the most obvious and cliched thing and not really write the sm/ww well at all. Just use it to add drama and undermine it. It's not a very nice thing to do to Diana's character though as she'll come off as the lame second choice. We were already in danger of Clark acting like a whiny kid over Lois' boyfriend last issue. They could have set him up with someone from his own cast . There was Lucy and Heather to choose from.

Hey I am not a fan of it ether but lets face it Superman has been a train wreck for the new 52. I have read all the issues but its a mess no writer has written Lois with the personality that made her special before (and that goes for TV and Movies as well). Clark they have attempted to write him as a angst filled character similar to Peter Parker and that simply does not fit the character. Then putting Lobdell in charge of the book he is not fleshing character out well and this interview kind of says that well I can't change Lois and Clark's relationship till Geoff Johns tells me I can.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BR_Havoc

@darkman61288 said:

I understand what you are saying. I feel Johns has done a pretty good job with them in JL but still its kind of like seeing the head cheerleader date the star quarterback its hard to care.

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By doordoor123

@sethysquare said:

@fartvader said:

I'm pretty sure Lobdell just confirmed that he has it, but he is hiding it with his TK somehow.

supersmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By supersmith

@BR_Havoc:I understand what you are saying. I feel Johns has done a pretty good job with them in JL but still its kind of like seeing the head cheerleader date the star quarterback its hard to care.

batman fan eh.

supersmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By supersmith

@mapledonuts said:

@supersmith said:

@darkman61288 said:

Yeah that lovers from a different world thing is a real challenge, isn't it? Funny you should contradict yourself.

You see and Lois and Clark ala Aragorn and Arwen? Er, with all due respect? No. Not really.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BR_Havoc

@supersmith said:

@BR_Havoc:I understand what you are saying. I feel Johns has done a pretty good job with them in JL but still its kind of like seeing the head cheerleader date the star quarterback its hard to care.

batman fan eh.

Nope, Actually I am a bigger Superman fan over Batman its just I fell of all the JL members Superman is the obvious choice for her to date. I would just rather see him back with Lois soon then later.

Apieceofmymind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Apieceofmymind

Damn u Lobdell, damn u DC for destroying Lois and Clark

So now we're gonna see Lois Lane not only being a corporate puppet without integrity, she's gonna be celebrating the awful smww romance

disgusting

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By JLDoom

The art looks fantastic! Great interview too!

konkrypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By konkrypton

Like some of the commenters here, I liked the SMLL romance. It has been part of the SM mythos from the beginning. That being said, I have no objection with the writers exploring the SMWW dynamic. After all, part of the reason you do a reboot is the characters have gotten stale and you need to shake things up. If it means that it takes a while for the SMLL thing to re-emerge, that's OK by me. But when it does, I hope that it's not "damsel in distress" theater all over again. I'd like her to fall for Clark, just as himself, then find out he's SM. And maybe even have a problem with the SM thing, lots of adjustments need to be made perhaps.

Anyway, I'm glad the writers are mixing things up a bit, so we can see the limits of the characters in the new timeline. These stories don't wreck the characters, they help define them, IMO.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Press Oblivion

@G-Man said:

The Internet. Check out the questions in the "Ask G-Man" thread. So many of them revolve around these.

I feel that there is a lot of anxiety about the relaunch because of the fickle nature of what characters maintained their lineage and which one got to start fresh. I don't think that it's too much to ask if the Death of Superman is in canon, obviously the Reign of the Supermen is not. They can make a definitive nod to that one way or the other very easily and then develop that later how ever they feel.

I thought this article was was good for answering the Bizzaro question for me as I thought that the backwards emblem was the nod to a new incarnation of the character, much like Red Hulk saying Milksop was the indicator that Ross was the Red Hulk early on. (Too bad about the Bizarro thing though H'el would have been an excellent redefinition for the character in the new 52)

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Eternal19

this arc is pretty good. I just wish clark and lois will get back together.. I really dont like this WW supes relationship. It doesnt even make any sense and it feels forced

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Press Oblivion

@Eternal19: I thought that this was a cool PRO for the relationship.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By reignmaker

Sorry dudes, Lobdell isn't the answer.

frandj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By frandj

i like how they write about SS and WW right now. 1st, i want to say that i am not LL hater. infact i love how clark and lois romance in past. but to be honest... i felt the intresthing aspect of Clark-Lois is kind of gone after they get merried back then. some story (about their romance) quite good after they get merried, but ... its... hmm... what should i say... most of all a bit boring... most of all what i kind of dislike (i don;t hate but not really like) is everything is "too" related to lois. supes down, he remember lois 1st, he fight for lois 1st, he gone ramapage bcoz of lois (die or hurt?), etc ... its like supes can't put personal matter for a bigger thing... if you know what i meant.

may be becoz Lois too intact to earth. meanwhile somewhere i miss supes adventure in space or anywhere else. i miss supes adventure like he was younger.

So right now... yes... i,m one of supes-ww suporter. i don't know how they will end up... but i kind of enjoy the story. how about Lois Lane... i think she still around. infact she kind a shit in the butt which can,t be remove. whenever supes there... its a big chance you will met Lois and Jimmy lurking for the news. Digging the new or "the hole" about supes.

my question is how about "other" supes gf? lana lang, maxima, etc... i kind want to see their "reintroduce" too...

mapledonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mapledonuts

@supersmith said:

@mapledonuts said:

@supersmith said:

@darkman61288 said:

Yeah that lovers from a different world thing is a real challenge, isn't it? Funny you should contradict yourself.

You see and Lois and Clark ala Aragorn and Arwen? Er, with all due respect? No. Not really.

What's the contradiction and how are Lois and Clark not like Aragorn and Arwen in that they're lovers from different worlds (gods and mortals) willing to transcend those differences and make sacrifices? Seeing as how you just make claims without any reasoning or evidence to support them, unlike me, it appears you have very little substance to back up why you like or believe in the things you do.

mapledonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mapledonuts

@konkrypton said:

Like some of the commenters here, I liked the SMLL romance. It has been part of the SM mythos from the beginning. That being said, I have no objection with the writers exploring the SMWW dynamic. After all, part of the reason you do a reboot is the characters have gotten stale and you need to shake things up. If it means that it takes a while for the SMLL thing to re-emerge, that's OK by me. But when it does, I hope that it's not "damsel in distress" theater all over again. I'd like her to fall for Clark, just as himself, then find out he's SM. And maybe even have a problem with the SM thing, lots of adjustments need to be made perhaps.

Anyway, I'm glad the writers are mixing things up a bit, so we can see the limits of the characters in the new timeline. These stories don't wreck the characters, they help define them, IMO.

"Damsel in distress" theater? Lois hasn't been any more a damsel in distress than Superman has been, and I guarantee you they'll find ways to put Superman and Wonder Woman in danger to play up the same sort of drama with them. Superhero comics demand "damsels". When you're dealing with stories about heroes everyone gets put in mortal peril and everyone gets saved. I analyzed comics from the last few years of the Post-Crisis era, and Lois only required rescuing max three times a year. Other than that, I agree that it's fine to explore the Superman and Wonder Woman dynamic. As some creators have said in interviews, doing so allows them to explore whether they're compatible, and I for one like the idea of the relationship helping the characters understand themselves better in ways that might make them realize they don't want to be together or work better as friends. Having the couple's incompatibility as mates decided/established in canon is certainly welcome.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By colonyofcells

I am ok with Lois as Superman's best friend. As for H'el since he started out as Bizarro on Krypton, H'el is probably an improved clone so he has mental powers. Superboy might also be an improved clone bec he also has mental powers. Maybe in Krypton, clones were respected citizens. In the DC 1 Million event, kryptonians and descendants of kryptonians had more powers so maybe they could indeed evolve new powers over time similar to Doomsday or are more like Duplicate Boy.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By darkman61288

That is basically my point. Them together is too boring. You have a prefect man and a prefect woman together. How fun can the stories be? And I dont like Johns JL at all. The characterization is terrible. They are all flat. WW is basically a stereotypical female warrior. She is the most trigger happy and she falls in love with one of her companions. And the stories, Thrones of Atlantis seems like they adapted the Justice League espisode Enemy Below.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By colonyofcells

I am ok with Superman hooking up with Lana Lang, Cat Grant, Chloe Sullivan, Maxima, even bisexual Jimmy Olsen.

Fastblender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fastblender

Well let's go see what IGN thinks of the latest issue of this "story" http://m.ign.com/articles/2013/01/02/superman-15-review Hmm, a 5.1, or a 51/100, a failing grade. Or in comicvine terms, a 2.5/5 An excerpt: Seriously, this Superman’s behavior is so unrecognizable that you would need to go watch Zack Snyder's Man of Steel trailer to remind yourself what experiencing Superman should feel like.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By xblah_blahx

Wait?! Do people really take IGN scores seriously??

frandj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By frandj

@Dark_Guyver : not for me. Sometime I still read some of them. But never made them as reference.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wow, lived six doors away from Matthew McConaughey. This...suddenly explains oh so very much now. O_O

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.